NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-28-2013, 12:06 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default Dumb Ebay questions

I know I'm going to get slapped around for this, but I'm in that sort of mood today

Given the quality of the scans I provide, my feedback and past auction history, this sort of question (actually, a demand) perplexes me. I know it isn't a good selling tactic, but, feeling certain that if he won it he still would't know if it was real or not, I suggested that he collect a different set.

Tell me where you got the card. I'm concerned that it's a repro.

- pjt171

I think I would have been okay with something like the following, which I get a lot of as well, and which I use as an opportunity to educate someone who's obviously new to the '33/'34 Goudeys:

"I see a lot of reproductions on ebay - how do you know it is real?"
Old 02-28-2013, 12:19 PM
Steve Birmingham

Someone actually asked that?

Because you know...
A) A seller wouldn't just lie about where the card came from.
B) A seller couldn't have bought a reprint err....Just about anywhere or any time during the last 30 years.
C) There's some magical place where reprints/scanners/printers/etc just don't exist.

Maybe it's just part of getting old, but I'm becoming more convinced that there are people who simply can't learn anything about anything. And that sadly that's a huge demographic that drives most corporated decisions, leaving me stuck with a choice between products designed for stupid people.

Steve B
Old 02-28-2013, 12:23 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I would just turn the question around on him and ask, "What do you see that concerns you it's a repro?"
Old 02-28-2013, 12:24 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

I'm not gonna slap you around Scott. I would just answer any question no matter how dumb it is. If the same person continues with the possible fake issue, I would just say maybe this card is not for you. One thing i've learned is if someone asks alot of questions that are already answered in the description and other what if.... questions, usualy its gonna be a problem sale if that person wins. Hope I don't get slapped around now. This place has been a little ruff lately.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 02-28-2013, 12:24 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Given the quality of the scans I provide, my feedback and past auction history, this sort of question (actually, a demand) perplexes me. I know it isn't a good selling tactic, but, feeling certain that if he won it he still would't know if it was real or not, I suggested that he collect a different set.

Tell me where you got the card. I'm concerned that it's a repro.
It is a very stupid question, no matter how it is worded (IMHO). There are only 2 possibilities here. You know your vintage cards or you don't. The "evidence" (past items, feedback, etc) suggest that you do.

The only other possibility for someone asking this is that they have concerns you are intentionally selling reprints as originals. If that is the case, then I'm certain you would not lie when responding to these types of questions, right? (heavy sarcasm here)
Old 02-28-2013, 12:26 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

1933 Goudey Ruth's are reprinted extensively, so this is probably why the potential buyer has that question. Usually, you can say something like it was purchased as part of a lot, and as you can see, I have many other cards with the same characteristic also for sale (or that I have sold in the past). You can also say that you guarantee that the card is authentic if sent to a third party grader. I think buyers are concerned by the stories like you found it in the your grandfather's attic or a flea market, and other nonsense like that.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Someone actually asked that?

Because you know...
A) A seller wouldn't just lie about where the card came from.
B) A seller couldn't have bought a reprint err....Just about anywhere or any time during the last 30 years.
C) There's some magical place where reprints/scanners/printers/etc just don't exist.

Maybe it's just part of getting old, but I'm becoming more convinced that there are people who simply can't learn anything about anything. And that sadly that's a huge demographic that drives most corporated decisions, leaving me stuck with a choice between products designed for stupid people.

Steve B
Steve, I would never insult any new collector who posts here honestly wanting to learn, but here are my thoughts on getting into a new vintage card issue:
  • study the hell out of scans, anywhere you can find them, noting differences betwen cards sold by good sellers and those actually labelled as reprints or as 'real-looking'
  • ask questions
  • Buy a few cheap common semi-beaters from board members (or ebay) and study the hell out of them
  • Only after doing the above, if your money is burning a hole in your pocket, buy a more expensive example, but from a reputable source

Too many people, before doing the above, post a link to an expensive card;e.g-1910's Cobb, Wagner, etc, asking us if we think it is real, because they actually plan to buy it as their first card in the set

Last edited by Runscott; 02-28-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:29 PM
Belltown Vintage

David - I like your answer. As a seller, I should always nicely answer questions, no matter how dumb.

This time I didn't

Here's the image I provided:

Last edited by Runscott; 02-28-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Todd Schultz

Tell him you got it from Harry's House of Reprints, but that Harry assured you that it had been in his family for generations, having been found in great-grandpa's attic. Then tell him you're married to Morgan Fairchild.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:44 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Tell him you got it from Harry's House of Reprints, but that Harry assured you that it had been in his family for generations, having been found in great-grandpa's attic. Then tell him you're married to Morgan Fairchild.
Todd, I like that. Maybe I'll write up a pat answer like that for people who I'm absolutely certain aren't really going to bid.

When she made her comeback around 1980, I remember thinking she was really hot for an old woman (she was 30 )
Old 02-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Dave

Well, at least you didn't call him a f*#king moron and come here expecting to get pats on the back for it.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:24 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

to me i actually dont mind a dumb question from a possable buyer, i answer the question and move on. the answer only takes what...30 sec to reply to if that.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Lou

Scott, do you have any better scans? Who wrote 1b on the back? Can you send me scans of all four edges?

Thanks,

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:25 PM

/

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:30 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard38 View Post
Who knows why he was concerned about the card but I can see asking a question like that to see what kind of response I'd get. If the response inspired confidence it might be just what I need to make me pull the trigger. If not I'd know not to bid. He could have phrased the request in a friendlier manner though.
Okay, so he was jacking with me psychologically - a test to determine my emotional fitness to be selling cards?

Now I get it.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Scott, do you have any better scans? Who wrote 1b on the back? Can you send me scans of all four edges?

Thanks,

Rick
Rick, I am going to re-scan the card through a microscope, pixel by pixel, numbered by column and row so that interested bidders can piece it back together if desired. '1b' was actually written at the factory by a disgruntled employee named either 'Ed Smith' or 'Bill Davis' - he should be easy to find.

Here is the center one-eighth of the left edge, viewed with the front side of the card facing upward:

Last edited by Runscott; 11-30-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:57 PM
Dave

Quote:
Rick, I am going to re-scan the card through a microscope, pixel by pixel, numbered by column and row so that interested bidders can piece it back together if desired. '1b' was actually written at the factory by a disgruntled employee named either 'Ed Smith' or 'Bill Davis' - he should be easy to find.

Here is the center one-eighth of the left edge, viewed with the front side of the card facing upward:
Looks like it was soaked.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Steve, I would never insult any new collector who posts here honestly wanting to learn, but here are my thoughts on getting into a new vintage card issue:
  • study the hell out of scans, anywhere you can find them, noting differences betwen cards sold by good sellers and those actually labelled as reprints or as 'real-looking'
  • ask questions
  • Buy a few cheap common semi-beaters from board members (or ebay) and study the hell out of them
  • Only after doing the above, if your money is burning a hole in your pocket, buy a more expensive example, but from a reputable source

Too many people, before doing the above, post a link to an expensive card;e.g-1910's Cobb, Wagner, etc, asking us if we think it is real, because they actually plan to buy it as their first card in the set
Wanting to learn is completely different from thinking that where you got the card is any indicator of wether it's genuine. Maybe if he asked how he could be sure it's real? That would be learning.

My first Goudey came from a yard sale.
My first 48 Bowman Football were found in a trash barrel.
At the second show I went to a dealer was selling Dover reprint T206s with machine rounded corners.

Had I bought one I could legitimately answer that I bought it at a show in 1978. And it would still be fake.

Answering questions, even dumb ones patiently is the way to go, but sometimes when I was selling I had to wait a couple hours before answering.

"Shipping is 1.00 in the US, elsewhere at cost"
"How much to ship to Idaho?"
Yeah, I had to wait a bit.

A batch of movie posters I bought had a bunch from Bang the Drum Slowly. Every time I listed one the same person would ask if it was original or a reprint. I don't actually know the answer, so I'd always reply giving details that might not show in the picture and asking if he knew how to tell. Never replied, never bid.

Steve B
Old 02-28-2013, 06:35 PM

I would just answer the question (which was actually not a question). Potential bidders have asked me before, and, while perhaps this guy worded it less than politely, asking where something came from is a fair question. I do appreciate that a seller could be offended by the accusatory, pushy way he said it. I likely would be.

P.s. I know Scott's Goudeys came from a highly reputable and well known source. I wrote the above knowing his answer wouldn't be 'From my grandfather's cabinet.'

Last edited by drc; 02-28-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:04 PM

I remember when I had on ebay am 1880s Tobin Lithograph trade card, and described it as a 'chromolithograph.' An eBayer didn't know what chromolithograph meant and wanted to make sure it wasn't some sort of modern refractor. He question seemed sincere, so I explained that it was just a 19th century time term for colorful lithography. I assured him it wasn't a Topps insert.

Last edited by drc; 02-28-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:05 AM

/

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:12 AM
Shawn M

now that's the way to do it

Last edited by smrtn240; 03-01-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:31 AM

One thing is I've had blunt, brusk questions from people who won the item and gave positive feedback. So it may just be his way of communicating and he's on the up and up. Which is in part why I recommended answering his question.

I had a guy ask a blunt, accusatory question about the authenticity on an eBay item. I explained and he thanked me and apologized for the tone of initial question, saying that he'd had some recent bad eBay experiences so was grouchy.

Last edited by drc; 03-01-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard38 View Post
"Emotional fitness?" That's kind of weird. But since you made a judgement about him from a simple request why couldn't he do the same from whatever response you chose to give?
Howard, I was trying to respond the best I could, to what I thought was a ludicrous post on your part. I shouldn't have responded at all.

BTW - checking your posting history, you haven't participated in a single vintage card discussion, generally sticking only to threads involving controversy or sports discussion.

Why are you here?

Last edited by Runscott; 03-01-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
One thing is I've had blunt, brusk questions from people who won the item and gave positive feedback. So it may just be his way of communicating and he's on the up and up. Which is in part why I recommended answering his question.

I had a guy ask a blunt, accusatory question about the authenticity on an eBay item. I explained and he thanked me and apologized for his initial question, saying that he'd had some recent bad eBay experiences so was grouchy.
David, I didn't post the rest of our exchange, but believe me - he had no good motives. Like Howard above, he was trying to get a flame war going.

It didn't work - I responded to a couple of his messages, then added him to my 'blocked bidders' list and moved on.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:41 AM

Okay.

It was an old card show technique for scammers to proclaim a dealer's autographs are fake in the hopes of getting them at discount. At least Mr. Mint said that in one of his books That crossed my mind with your post.

Last edited by drc; 03-01-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:08 PM

I remember when a guy called me to negotiate price over an expensive item I had for sale. Early in the conversation he said "My favorite book is Donald Trump's Art of the Deal." I though "Oh, God."

Last edited by drc; 03-01-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:21 PM

/

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Belltown Vintage

David, interesting stuff.

As you can tell, I was peeved when I started this thread. I use ebay as an outlet to sell stuff that the Net54 board doesn't seem that interested in. If it wasn't useful I would, of course, avoid it altogether.

In any event, because of the original angst associated with my original posting, plus the ensuing flame I'm about to get...

....I'm outta here
Old 03-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Belltown Vintage

I don't know what's up with ebay, but I just had an idiot ask me if I was selling an LOA, or an actual authentic signed player letter

Can't these douchebags just check feedback to determine if I'm a scammer?!?

Runscott <=== feeling like Dan McKee today (No offense, Dan - you're my old guard T206 hero)

Last edited by Runscott; 03-01-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:34 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Can't these douchebags just check feedback to determine if I'm a scammer?!?
Most douchebags can't even be bothered to read past the auction title, let alone be researching your feedback. At least the first guy used proper punctuation and grammar. I've learned the hard way that if someone seems determined to call you a scammer from the outset, never having dealt with you before, it's best to just go ahead and block them. Chances are, it's not going to end well if they do decide to "give you a chance" and wind up winning.

Since we're venting about ignorant eBayers, here's an exchange I had not long ago in the final minutes of an auction:

paul77781 messages: the type 1 mickey mantle photo was signed by him in the 50's?

I respond: Please make no mistake, the photo is NOT signed by Mantle. The PSA encapsulation and authentication is for the Type 1 status, NOT a signature. Best, Lance

paul77781 messages: oh it says it was handwritten by him in the auction

I respond: It says his name was handwritten (i.e. not typed), NOT that it was signed by him.

Turns out the guy asking the question was the infamous Joey Farino, and incidentally, the "signature" on the back (a simple ID of the photo's subject) looked nothing like Mantle's signature, modern or vintage. Just goes to show that the "douchebag questions" sometimes come from real live douchebags.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:37 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Most douchebags can't even be bothered to read past the auction title, let alone be researching your feedback. At least the first guy used proper punctuation and grammar. I've learned the hard way that if someone seems determined to call you a scammer from the outset, never having dealt with you before, it's best to just go ahead and block them. Chances are, it's not going to end well if they do decide to "give you a chance" and wind up winning.

Since we're venting about ignorant eBayers, here's an exchange I had not long ago in the final minutes of an auction:

paul77781 messages: the type 1 mickey mantle photo was signed by him in the 50's?

I respond: Please make no mistake, the photo is NOT signed by Mantle. The PSA encapsulation and authentication is for the Type 1 status, NOT a signature. Best, Lance

paul77781 messages: oh it says it was handwritten by him in the auction

I respond: It says his name was handwritten (i.e. not typed), NOT that it was signed by him.

Turns out the guy asking the question was the infamous Joey Farino, and incidentally, the "signature" on the back (a simple ID of the photo's subject) looked nothing like Mantle's signature, modern or vintage. Just goes to show that the "douchebag questions" sometimes come from real live douchebags.
I've had a few of these:

In Description - "Facsimile Signature on the front"

Question from bidder - "Is the Signature real?"