NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 08-08-2017, 10:53 PM

Default Is this ebay seller selling switched PSA graded cards?

I have noticed that this seller always has a bunch of auctions for PSA 10 Hall Of Famers, and I also noticed that he never has any cards using one of the new PSA flips.

Does this card look like a PSA 10?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-Donruss...gAAOSwZs1Zg7-w

Last edited by Davino; 08-08-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:08 PM

Not even ONE card in his current auctions have the more tamper-resistant flips.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ssn...ay_123&_sop=16
Old 08-09-2017, 04:16 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

I don't see anything wrong with the holders. Seems like a bad accusation. Just because the flips aren't new doesn't mean they weren't graded by PSA. Probably only 20% of PSA graded cards have the hologram on them. Most people won't send in their cards to get reholdered just to get the new flip style.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
I don't see anything wrong with the holders. Seems like a bad accusation. Just because the flips aren't new doesn't mean they weren't graded by PSA. Probably only 20% of PSA graded cards have the hologram on them. Most people won't send in their cards to get reholdered just to get the new flip style.

okay, do you think the card should grade a 10?
Old 08-10-2017, 03:54 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

I think 10 is generous on the Johnny Bench due to a soft bottom right corner and a possible scratch/PD line on the right border. However, I am sure that PSA graded it that way.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:47 AM
je.sse @rnot

I don't think many people today would bother sending an 83 donruss Bench in for grading. Not worth the fees. Maybe that card sold for more when it was submitted. Looks fine to me.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

There are some newer flips in his completed auctions, he probably just has a ton of older inventory he is still trying to move. I have bought from him and never had any concerns.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Topps-T...QAAOSwDn5Zeiz7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Topps-5...sAAOSw6ShZXSrV

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-10-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
I think 10 is generous on the Johnny Bench due to a soft bottom right corner and a possible scratch/PD line on the right border. However, I am sure that PSA graded it that way.
The card is not a 10, there are flaws. There are marks on the top line, too.

Last edited by Davino; 08-10-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
There are some newer flips in his completed auctions, he probably just has a ton of older inventory he is still trying to move. I have bought from him and never had any concerns.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Topps-T...QAAOSwDn5Zeiz7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Topps-5...sAAOSw6ShZXSrV

ah, ok
Old 08-11-2017, 07:56 PM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I don't think many people today would bother sending an 83 donruss Bench in for grading. Not worth the fees. Maybe that card sold for more when it was submitted. Looks fine to me.
That card in that case exists strictly for the registry.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:30 AM
Scott Silvers

Always look at the card...not what is printed on the flip. Many 10s exhibit major flaws that really illustrates how much time, or in some cases expertise is put into these things. Also, it was posted over on FCB that someone had dropped 18k on a Jordan PSA 10 RC only to find out from PSA that the slab and the card were fake...and that was with a new flip. Always look past the 'grade'...same thing with coins and/or anything else graded by a TPG.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:12 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra79 View Post
Always look at the card...not what is printed on the flip. Many 10s exhibit major flaws that really illustrates how much time, or in some cases expertise is put into these things. Also, it was posted over on FCB that someone had dropped 18k on a Jordan PSA 10 RC only to find out from PSA that the slab and the card were fake...and that was with a new flip. Always look past the 'grade'...same thing with coins and/or anything else graded by a TPG.
OUCH!!

Are you talking about their brand new slabs like this Mantle is in?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mantle PSA 7.jpg (77.5 KB, 106 views)
Old 08-13-2017, 07:33 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Just reading your post again, are you saying the slab was fake as well or are you saying the new slab was compromised in some way and the fake card was inserted?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eMC2eZs6NE

If their new slabs are being compromised already it would certainly make those that are thinking about sending their cards in for a reslab, to think again.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:16 AM
Paul

You can talk about fake holders all you want, regardless a graded card will ALWAYS be worth more than anything that is not placed in an authenticated holder..End of story
Old 08-13-2017, 11:05 AM
Scott Silvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallpaul2002 View Post
You can talk about fake holders all you want, regardless a graded card will ALWAYS be worth more than anything that is not placed in an authenticated holder..End of story
I can't agree more, but the point I was trying to make wasn't to avoid graded cards (I think they serve an important purpose), but to focus on the cardboard within them instead of focusing only on the assigned grade. Unfortunately some collectors immediately look at the grade and don't check to see if the card matches up. Not all PSA 10's are the same.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:20 AM
Scott Silvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Just reading your post again, are you saying the slab was fake as well or are you saying the new slab was compromised in some way and the fake card was inserted?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eMC2eZs6NE

If their new slabs are being compromised already it would certainly make those that are thinking about sending their cards in for a reslab, to think again.

Here is the thread from FCB that talks about it. After reading it again PSA actually confiscated the holder. Hologram or not, anything can be faked...which is probably why the news $100 bills have a billion anti-counterfeiting features. Coin slabs are no different too, whether be PCGS or NGC. It is just another reminder of why you should do your research...especially on the big dollar items.

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/foru...40#post2456340
Old 08-13-2017, 03:28 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Here is the thread from FCB that talks about it. After reading it again PSA actually confiscated the holder. Hologram or not, anything can be faked...which is probably why the news $100 bills have a billion anti-counterfeiting features. Coin slabs are no different too, whether be PCGS or NGC. It is just another reminder of why you should do your research...especially on the big dollar items.

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/foru...40#post2456340
Thanks for the info and link. Sure hope the guy has some luck getting his money, or some of his money back, especially since it sounded like the seller also knew it was a fake.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:39 PM
Scott Silvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Thanks for the info and link. Sure hope the guy has some luck getting his money, or some of his money back, especially since it sounded like the seller also knew it was a fake.
Probably not. It sounded like that guy was arrested by the Feds for illegally using other people's SSNs to place bets. Hopefully they can at least add a mail fraud charge on top of everything else. Either way it has to be a pretty big punch in the gut.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:54 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Probably not. It sounded like that guy was arrested by the Feds for illegally using other people's SSNs to place bets. Hopefully they can at least add a mail fraud charge on top of everything else. Either way it has to be a pretty big punch in the gut.
I hope you friend is very well off as I couldn't imagine taking a hit like that!