NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-18-2009, 07:09 AM

Default Net54 T206 observation

The T206 set is monumental, cool, widely collected, a classic within the hobby...but nine of the twenty most recent threads are strictly about this set. The only other informative card issue related thread of note is about the Exhibit sets. A little variety please! I did my part recently with a thread about the Pacific Coast biscuit D310 set, but have gotten little response to the post (I know plenty of you out there have at least a type card from this issue, and can help me out with a tint theory that as far as I can tell has never discussed before--help us gain little more understanding about this set).

I would love to read more about other cool sets too...get crackin', people!

Brian
Old 12-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Brian

I wholeheartedly concur. Most people that read the board ONLY want to take from it, NOT give back to it. Even some of my hobby friends, like Gary N- who had big issues getting a check from Mastro, is ONLY a taker. I got raked over the coals to take down the banner, it got taken down, Gary got his money...and except for about 1 other post, has been gone. I know he reads the board too, as I see him logged in sometimes. Great hobby knowledge, but is only a taker. There are many others the same way. It's sad but it will never change. For those that give back I want to extend a special thanks.....It is YOU who the hobby desperately needs. Thanks again to all who have shared on the board. best regards
Old 12-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Barry Sloate

Perhaps once a T206 thread is started, if a poster has a different question about the set he can continue on the thread already in progress. I know the T206heads are passionate collectors, but the board is nice when there is more balance. Of course, you can't actually enforce a T206 rule, just point out that if someone already sees a thread moving along, just post right there. Everybody interested in the set will see it. In the grand scheme of things, not a big issue but a fair one to bring up.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:33 AM

I, for one, appreciate the irony of a thread started about the T206 set is complaining about the number of threads about the T206 set.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:35 AM
Barry Sloate

I remember an episode of the old Abbott and Costello show where Bud and Lou got a job going door to door selling "no peddlers allowed" signs. Same idea.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Rich Rockwood

I think the T206 dominates conversation on the board because it's probably the most popular set, it's massive, and most importantly, it has a ton of nuances to it.

I for one totally love the 1914/15 Cracker Jack set and have been working for years on it but their just is not a ton of different backs and other nuances (their are some but they are well known) to drive a lot of conversation about them.

Rich

PS: Santa I'm still hoping you find that 1915 Jackson for me!
Old 12-18-2009, 08:45 AM
Barry Sloate

We have so many threads about T206 front/back combinations that it could almost have its own section.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default T206 conversations

T206 conversations are great. They are probably the most collected pre-war set (maybe minus Goudey). My frustration comes from the members that only take.....If you read the board very frequently and have under about 20 posts in the last 7 months....you probably fall into that category. That's just my opinion. I certainly don't dislike the takers but, as the board goes, the givers are much more important. As a matter of fact I have told several people that IF there is a Net54 dinner this year, and that is a big IF, then it will possibly be only for givers. The takers can go somewhere else to keep taking.....
Old 12-18-2009, 08:57 AM
Daryl

I'm a taker who has nothing to give... but click-throughs to generate revenue from the banner ads.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default forget about advertising

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
I'm a taker who has nothing to give... but click-throughs to generate revenue from the banner ads.
As I said, if you have under about 20 posts I consider you a taker...no big deal but it is what it is. You have about 83 posts so are not in that class. As for revenue for click throughs I could give a rats patoot. The board will be fine with or without me, the banners, or any few folks.....This board has been resilient through many trials and tribulations and will continue to be. Thanks again to all those that freely share in this great hobby we all love....warm regards
Old 12-18-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
If you read the board very frequently and have under about 20 posts in the last 7 months....you probably fall into that category. That's just my opinion. I certainly don't dislike the takers but, as the board goes, the givers are much more important. As a matter of fact I have told several people that IF there is a Net54 dinner this year, and that is a big IF, then it will possibly be only for givers. The takers can go somewhere else to keep taking.....
I am bit surprised by this post.

I think I am close to being in the 'taker' category.
But, I always felt like one of the family..... until now.

edit: for more accuracy.

Last edited by bijoem; 12-18-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:03 AM
Barry Sloate

T206 is a great set and people should talk about it as much as they want. But I agree with Brian that each time someone has another thought or question about the set, there's not always the need to start a new thread.

If you want to ask a question about rare backs, it's almost guaranteed that there is already a thread in progress on the main page.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Joe...not quite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijoem View Post
I am bit surprised by this post.

I think I am close to being in the 'taker' category.
But, I always felt like one of the family..... until now.

edit: for more accuracy.
As I said Joe, you are one of the givers as you have over about 20 posts. You have exponentially more and thanks for your participation. I think the Net54 Dinner should be a payback for those that contribute not just those that want a free meal and drinks. Again, I doubt there will be one but if there is, then this is my thinking.....
Old 12-18-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
As I said Joe, you are one of the givers as you have over about 20 posts. You have exponentially more and thanks for your participation. I think the Net54 Dinner should be a payback for those that contribute not just those that want a free meal and drinks. Again, I doubt there will be one but if there is, then this is my thinking.....
I guess my self-reflection I would consider myself more of a taker than a giver.... especially here where there is so much to take.

If there is not a dinner....
I hope we still get together in some form - so that I could buy you a drink or three.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Joe

Quote:
I guess my self-reflection I would consider myself more of a taker than a giver.... especially here where there is so much to take.

I hope we still get together in some form - so that I could buy you a drink or three.
I hope we can get together at the National again....Heck, I will always take a free drink too . You are certainly one of the good guys and I value our friendship. best regards
Old 12-18-2009, 09:14 AM
D@vid Mor1@rty

The only cards I buy and know anything about are the t206's. There is no way that I can say anything constructive about any of the caramel sets, exhibits etc. Other than the posts about people inquiring about certain front and back combinations, there is really nothing that I can add. Sorry for being a taker.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206wagner View Post
The only cards I buy and know anything about are the t206's. There is no way that I can say anything constructive about any of the caramel sets, exhibits etc. Other than the posts about people inquiring about certain front and back combinations, there is really nothing that I can add. Sorry for being a taker.
Same here.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:21 AM
Barry Sloate

I don't need to speak for Leon, but I think he is being misunderstood. I believe he is referring to people who never have anything to offer the board about vintage baseball cards, but like to air out their complaints about being stiffed by auction houses, or ragging on PSA. If you want to hang your personal laundry without ever offering some good baseball card knowledge, then you are a taker. If you post occasionally, but always do so intelligently, all is fine.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:30 AM
Tim

As Barry said takers use the board for a soap box to air their grievances but don't actually contribute anything constructive to the community.

Takers also are those with knowledge that use the board to gain more knowledge from information provided by others without ever giving back.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:

Joe, you can come to my takers-only dinner.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:44 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default yet another dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Joe, you can come to my takers-only dinner.
Instigators and antagonizers will have their own dinner. I am sure Jeff will be sponsoring that one...
Old 12-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I don't need to speak for Leon, but I think he is being misunderstood. I believe he is referring to people who never have anything to offer the board about vintage baseball cards, but like to air out their complaints about being stiffed by auction houses, or ragging on PSA. If you want to hang your personal laundry without ever offering some good baseball card knowledge, then you are a taker. If you post occasionally, but always do so intelligently, all is fine.

I think Barry nailed it. I think it's even more telling if you contrast the main boards with the BST. I can think of several members who use the BST as an arm of their business plan, marketing division. I am aware that some are long time dealers/collectors who NEVER post on the main board and/or offer anything to the group.

I think of all of the posters on this thread as "regular" board members and, by definition, if you are reading and reacting to this thread, you're probably OK.

I believe the guys Leon is referring to would never even bother to open this thread, so they won't be offended.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Instigators and antagonizers will have their own dinner. I am sure Jeff will be sponsoring that one...

Sounds like Jeff, Rob D. and myself, will be dining alone, and separately.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default actually Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Actually Jim, you are one of our best members and openly share your knowledge and hobby experiences. You rarely get under my skin which is more than I can say for some members...But I have been known to be thin skinned before.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Unless there's free parking, count me out.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
correct... hope everyone likes Hardee's.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Unless there's free parking, count me out.
Rob, I knew I could count on you. ....Sweet.....I do have to say the humor on the board is usually outstanding. Nothing will ever beat the Archive dude though....
Old 12-18-2009, 09:57 AM
Banned

I'm nothing if not predictable.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Actually Jim, you are one of our best members and openly share your knowledge and hobby experiences. You rarely get under my skin which is more than I can say for some members...But I have been known to be thin skinned before.

Oh, I knew I was OK on the "participation" grade. I thought I was in trouble on the "Instigators and antagonizers" scoring.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:09 AM
mark sanders

Default the Archive dude...

Quote:
I do have to say the humor on the board is usually outstanding. Nothing will ever beat the Archive dude though....
...who's that... what team(s) did he play for... is there a T206 card of him and how many front/back combinations are there?
BAT ON: Old Mill, SC 350/25
BAT OFF: Cycle, Lenox, Piedmont 460/42, Uzit
& Piedmont 350
Old 12-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Tony Quinn

Default sando69

Now THAT'S funny!
Old 12-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Bill T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sando69 View Post
...who's that... what team(s) did he play for... is there a T206 card of him and how many front/back combinations are there?
Mark,

Arch Ive must have a good PR machine behind him. Topps has several throwback sets devoted to him. A real journeyman, and a fabulously long career; played for every team at one time or another, between at least 1909 and 1953.

Bill
Old 12-18-2009, 01:08 PM
FredYoung

Sando & Birdman--

LMAO at BOTH comeback replies!
Old 12-18-2009, 02:45 PM
Clayton

Most of my posts have had something to do with T206 because I love those cards,and now that's all I have.I guess I'm reluctant to start a thread regarding cards I have no pictures of.
I do like to read the threads about caramels,OJ's,CJ's,Goudeys-actually anything pre war is good for me.
I have been interested lately in the 1911 A's Stevens Firearms cards,mainly because it seems to be a small set with great players.I don't have any,but have been thinking about trying to start this as a side project.
If anyone has any scans of these,please post them(or Leon,would you suggest I start a thread?)I'm sure they are very hard to get,but who cares-a hunt is a hunt
As far as Archive goes,I MAY have spotted him last night playing blackjack with himself at the new Aria casino that just opened.
Regards,Clayton
Old 12-18-2009, 02:58 PM
pete ullman

Maybe this site name should be changed to the network54 t206 museum...and all members who are active(have 20 or more worthwhile posts) will get a token old mill black overstrike card.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Clayton

Nice one on the sighting of Archive. Just to be clear...I have no issue with anyone just being a lurker. I have no issue with folks who don't post a lot. I do have a bit of an issue with folks that only use the board for their own personal vendetta/gain and never give anything at all back. And it's not like I hate those folks, I don't. I just wish they would contribute more. That is all.

On the Stevens Firearms cards, they are a great set to collect. Technically they are ink blotters. If you start a new thread it would be great. I have a few scans I can pop in and there are some board members who have written articles on them, and they may chime in...
Old 12-18-2009, 03:11 PM

Leon, There are many of us lurkers on net54 and I am one of them. I am not as knowledgeable as almost all of the regular posters on net 54 but enjoy learning from them. I consider myself "less guilty" than those takers who never
post but always use the B/S/T. I can't remember ever using the B/S/T, in fact
I preferred to consign to your auction house. I am not sure why my name is the only one you listed. How many "takers" are there. Leon, does this have more to
do with removing the mastro/legendary banner and the loss of revenue it cost you. I enjoyed the net 54 dinner, and resent that you are think I am there for free food and drink. I had a great time with my fellow collectors and would
have attended had I had to pay my own way. If Doug Allen pays that much for the banner put it back up. Hopefully a few "givers" on net 54 will object.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Gary

Gary- I still consider you a hobby friend. My only beef is that of your 12 posts on the board, before this thread, 11 of them were ONLY to try to get your money back. You know I tried to help you do that too. You have been collecting for over 35 yrs (I believe), surely there is something you could contribute to the forum other than 1 post in the last 7 months? I see you reading it sometimes and have just had that thought. As for the banner, until ALL Mastro consignors are paid, and I am not sure that has been done, it is not an option...and most likely they won't advertise again anyway because of the stand I/we made. That is fine and it was the right thing to do, given the circumstances. I have been a bit frustrated lately about the board and when this thread got posted I took the opportunity, just as any member does, to give my view. Maybe I am wrong about it but it's the way I feel. I hope you have a happy, safe holidays and I look forward to chatting again at the next National...take care
Old 12-18-2009, 04:06 PM

Am I the only one who finds the T206 set boring? Its everywhere. Collecting that set would most definitely be fun and hugely rewarding once you've completed it, but so is eating a tub of vanilla ice cream. Type sets forever!
Old 12-18-2009, 04:09 PM

Leon, Could you at least call out one more person so that I am not the only
one labeled a "cheap taker". Surely someone on the B/S/T list has cheated
someone and you could call them out so I am not alone. Maybe a lurker who has posted fewer times than me. How about someone who drank or ate way more than there share at the net 54 dinner. Cheap, , I can't believe you
called me cheap and think that I come to the net 54 dinner for free food and drink.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Gary

Gary- I can't name anyone else because anyone with less posts would have never posted , therefore they wouldn't be a taker . No worries...it's off my chest. In a day or three this thread will be gone and I will have at least got to vent my bit of frustration. It's not only you but you got to be the scapegoat. Sorry about that....best regards
Old 12-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Paul

Default T206 Cards Rule -- Nuff Ced

I believe that if you decided to make a pre-war board that excluded all talk about T206 you would lose a vast majority of people that come to this board, at least for their first visits. T206 is a "gateway" set for so many people that you'd never lure the casual T206 collector into learning about bread and candy cards.

I also think a stand-alone T206 forum could stand on its own.

I know that no one is suggesting that we eliminate T206 from discussion, but I flipped the angle to demonstrate the importance that T206 has in this community.

I say bring on more T206 discussions -- it's what most of us want to read anyway.

Generic pre-war card discussions (grading, stories of finds, bad sellers, etc.) are all interesting because they can be applied to T206.

But threads specific to E107s or Obaks I find mostly uninteresting. And while I'm on my rant, I never understood why people collect Obak's. Sure they're pretty, but the players are nearly exclusively a bunch of unknowns. I guess if you're from the West Coast you like cards of your home town. But if the players were any good, they'd have made it into the T206 set.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 12-18-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Barry Sloate

I say let's kill all the Obak collectors!
Old 12-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Am I the only one who finds the T206 set boring?!
No.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:03 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I say let's kill all the Obak collectors!
Yeah -- you buy the plane ticket to Oregon and I'll bring the 3 bullets!

@SignedT206
Old 12-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Paul

Default T206 Boring?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
No.
Are you bored by its awesomeness?

@SignedT206
Old 12-18-2009, 05:14 PM
Trae Regan

Default You know what this thread needs?

Beer.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:26 PM

The problems is not too many T206 threads; it is the laziness of non-T206 collectors.

JimB.

P.S. Leon, Gary N. is one of the coolest guys in this hobby, as you know. One of the functions of this board is to serve as a watchdog to protect people like him. If you want that aspect to remain, you can't single out honest collectors for calling out unethical actions in the hobby when they are getting screwed. Gary should be applauded for being willing to go public against what was the most powerful auction house in the hobby, even if he is not a regular contributor these days (He has been in the past on the old board.). I suggest you reconsider your take on this issue.

Last edited by E93; 12-18-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:30 PM

T206 collector, the T206 is filled with a bunch of unknowns too who never made it to the majors but do have a card in the set that you probably have. What is the difference between that and Obak collectors?
Old 12-18-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
T206 collector, the T206 is filled with a bunch of unknowns too who never made it to the majors but do have a card in the set that you probably have. What is the difference between that and Obak collectors?

Cobb, Matty, Wagner, Young, Johnson, Plank, and a bunch more HOFs for starters. But I love Obaks too. Aesthetically, I think Obaks are every bit the equal of T206s, if not better. The colors are amazing.