NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-14-2005, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Default Current Issue of Beckett Baseball

Posted By: Rich Klein

After receiving permission from our beloved moderator (YEAH LEON!), we are running in the current issue of Beckett Baseball (now available) some of your posts from the thread in response to our article about the introductory class to the Beckett Baseball Card Hall of Fame:

In addition, to a nice little box with the link to these boards, the following people were quoted:

Hal Lewis (who sent in a seperate email not posted in that thread); D.J., John (Z28), John (a different one); Jeff Lichtman; Scott Gaynor; Julie Vognar and Bryan.

Also, my E&V column featured a tip of the cap to Max Weder for his discovery about Jimmy Austin.

So, if anyone mentioned in either my E&V Column (Max) or quoted in the reaction article would like a copy of the magazine, please send an email to RKlein@Beckett.Com with your address and I'll be happy to send off a copy of the magazine to you. Please, for obvious reasons, do not post your snail mail address in this thread

And again, a thanks to Leon for permitting us to use the information in the thread you all created.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

Bryan who?

Old 09-14-2005, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

Here is the link to the original thread

http://www.network54.com/Forum/thread?forumid=153652&messageid=1123809629&lp=1123976722

Old 09-14-2005, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

Slightly OT but.....how big is the opportunity for someone like Beckett to come along a produce a prewar sports publication? It could include period stories, card-specific articles, and maybe even take a stab at a value guide (including variations, backs, etc.) Of course, they would have to recruit some knowledgeable folks to put together such a publication.

Old 09-14-2005, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

I think that Beckett tried. It was called Beckett Vintage Sports, or something of the sort. It was out for a few years - and stopped within the last year or two

Old 09-14-2005, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: CobbSpikedMe

You're correct. Beckett had a great vintage magazine for a while. It helped get me back into the hobby, for which I am very thankful. When they stopped producing it, I was saddened. I wish they could put together a magazine that focused on the vintage hobby itself and less on the prices. It could have features like the history of collecting, the history of cards, collector spotlights, what's happening in the vintage world around the country, etc. I'll keep dreaming for that. Thanks.

Old 09-14-2005, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

I also received Beckett Vintage for a couple years and saved every issue. It was terrific! Obviously, not enough issues were sold, or it would still be published. I believe every poster and lurker on this and the other boards would subscribe, given the opportunity.

Old 09-14-2005, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Beckett Vintage was a very good magazine. One of our board members used to write many of the columns while he worked at Beckett. I sure hope that everyone that is in this thread, and lurking, has subscribed to the OldCardboard magazine. It would be a shame if folks were griping about the demise of VCBC and Beckett Vintage and haven't subscribed. The link is at the top of this page.....regards (and my only interest in Oldcardboard is from a hobby standpoint...and the publisher is a hobby friend)

Old 09-14-2005, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan

Hey I made it. Although I am probobly the last person who should have their opinion put into print (as Ted and Jay know all too well.)

Anyone else really wish Adam Moraine was still around for that discussion. I would have loved to hear his opinion on the subject. It was a topic completely based on opinion and I think he would have had some interesting ones.

Old 09-14-2005, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Beckett's very 1st Almanac (1996) was about as good as you can
expect in BB price guides. They divided it into three sections.
The first section was clssified as Vintage and covered all sets
from 1886 - 1947. The 2nd (Modern) section covered all issues
from 1948 - 1979. And, the 3rd included all issues 1980 -1996.

If you so desired, you could remove the 2nd and 3rd sections
and have a complete and compact Vintage card guide.