NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-30-2014, 12:46 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Default Heubach baseball figures

Anyone else a fan of these? I just got my second through the mail from England. Pretty excited. Other than a replacement bat they are pretty much perfect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (75.7 KB, 201 views)
Old 07-30-2014, 01:31 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Flipped 'em over for you before all the blood rushes to their head
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (70.7 KB, 193 views)
Old 07-30-2014, 01:36 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Thanks I'm still learning how to technology. Took me three years to find the pitcher in my price range.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:34 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Nice! These came in 4 different sizes, with the larger ones being most desirable. What size are these? (height, in inches)

Great stuff, and tough in that condition!
Mark
Old 07-30-2014, 02:55 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I didn't know they came in four different, I had thought only 2. These are a hair under 13 inches tall. Did they make them bigger?
Old 07-30-2014, 03:08 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Yup.... search the Catalog Auctions' archives, and you'll eventually see 4 sizes of these....

Mine are just about 15", which I think is the largest. Yours are the second largest, I believe. There are 2 smaller variations... the smallest of which has the bat as part of the sculpture itself (non-removable).

If I had time, I'd post some images from Legendary, Lelands, REA, SCP, etc. But this is info you can find relatively easily, via google search.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:11 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Sizes appear to be as follows...

7 1/2" (Small)
9 1/2" (Med)
12" (Large)
14" (Jumbo)

I think mine measure just under 15", now that I think about it. See photo below, for small-med-large sizes...

Hope this is helpful
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heubach.jpg (37.6 KB, 180 views)

Last edited by perezfan; 07-30-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:24 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Very cool. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:29 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Sorry to dominate this thread, but it's rare to have a topic of vintage figural baseball pieces (one of my true passions in this hobby...)

Check these out.... Ultra-rare Fielder and Base Runner accompany the far more common Batter and Pitcher. Lots of collectors don't even know that these two exist. The Batter and Pitcher pictured measure 16" in height (so there is a 5th size as well).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heubach9.jpg (39.9 KB, 178 views)
Old 07-30-2014, 04:45 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Was the fielder and runner produced for all sizes, if not which size or sizes. I checked the auction records, they were going for crazy money in 01-02. I got mine for about 325 each.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:16 PM
Rob

What country were these produced in....and when?

And, as they say on Antiques Roadshow, "I suppose you'd like to know what they're worth." Yes, I would.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:31 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

They are german... Value I would estimate for my pair about 1k.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:02 PM
Mike

I believe the are from the 1890's.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:03 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default Mark

what are your thoughts on the unmarked Heubachs? I have a few pairs in different sizes of the base ball and tennis statues as well as a single or two. Most are marked but a couple aren't. They appear to be of the same style and with the same level of craftsmanship with regard to the painting applied. I've always wondered about whether the unmarked ones are reproductions (or second generation).
The real markings inside would be a bit difficult to reproduce (more expensive might be more appropriate) so the painting, materials, and dimensions are a logical place to start. Heubach wasn't the only company making figurines in Germany (and perhaps elsewhere) but I assume there were some sort of laws regarding the right to protect the ownership of the casting. Re-casting of bisques is possible and one way of determining if that's occured is a tell-tale difference in the dimensions. That would require having the original specs or the entire line for comparrison.
I have made a casual study of the ones I have marked and unmarked and they appear to be of the same manufacture - but I'm no expert and always uneasy when things that are generally marked aren't. I collect a few Royal Daulton tobacco jars and whatever - some of them are umarked as well and sometimes they worry me as well.
On a side note - I have a batter that I believe retains the ORIGINAL wooden bat. Not sure if there's any way to know for sure?
Hope Mark and/or someone else might be inclined to offer some thoughts? I'll try and post a pic or two............
Old 07-30-2014, 06:21 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Here's a 12" Pitcher Statue that went for $2,400...

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...ntoryid=108986

And then another of the same statue, just slightly lesser condition, sold for only $448...

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...ntoryid=116542

Here's the larger pair that sold for $2,133...

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...ntoryid=110630

And another large pair that sold for $2,400...

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...entoryid=88922

And lastly, a large pair that went for close to $13 Grand!

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...ventoryid=5235

So pricing is all over the board. Condition influences it a lot (as is the case with most memorabilia) and roughly 95% of surviving Batter Statues have a wood replacement Bat.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:58 PM
Rob

Mark - how do you find these past results? ^^^^^ Straight to Google or to the individual auction houses or is there a 3rd party "auction results" site? (maybe like the one we were alerted to yesterday)
Old 07-30-2014, 07:57 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I found the same auction results doing a google search. As far as unmarked figurines, now we're into the realm of china/porcelain experts. The best parallel I can think of is Sevres. The stuff was so popular that nearby companies would make stuff very similar and of the same quality but leave off marks. I don't know that Heubach was that popular though, so if that isn't the case it could be factory seconds they didn't want to mark. The Germans tended to be pretty consistent about marking things but it was the 1880's-1890's so...
Old 07-30-2014, 09:16 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default most popular in 1996-2002

selling now for about 1/2 what they used to bring. I bought a large pair at a Philly show for 2000. and 15 years later a nice set of the same size for around 1100.. Quite a few sold by Hunt's around the TOC while you're checking prices realized..............
My tennis figurines are the most difficult to figure out. I have 3/4 pairs and all have differences between them. I'll have to look again but don't believe any of them are marked.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:13 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
what are your thoughts on the unmarked Heubachs? I have a few pairs in different sizes of the base ball and tennis statues as well as a single or two. Most are marked but a couple aren't. They appear to be of the same style and with the same level of craftsmanship with regard to the painting applied. I've always wondered about whether the unmarked ones are reproductions (or second generation).
The real markings inside would be a bit difficult to reproduce (more expensive might be more appropriate) so the painting, materials, and dimensions are a logical place to start. Heubach wasn't the only company making figurines in Germany (and perhaps elsewhere) but I assume there were some sort of laws regarding the right to protect the ownership of the casting. Re-casting of bisques is possible and one way of determining if that's occured is a tell-tale difference in the dimensions. That would require having the original specs or the entire line for comparrison.
I have made a casual study of the ones I have marked and unmarked and they appear to be of the same manufacture - but I'm no expert and always uneasy when things that are generally marked aren't. I collect a few Royal Daulton tobacco jars and whatever - some of them are umarked as well and sometimes they worry me as well.
On a side note - I have a batter that I believe retains the ORIGINAL wooden bat. Not sure if there's any way to know for sure?
Hope Mark and/or someone else might be inclined to offer some thoughts? I'll try and post a pic or two............
Sorry I never answered all of those great questions and observations...

I got caught up in the Legendary Archives, and then had to run right after my ridiculously long post showing the results. I was pressed for time, and only searched Legendary's archives... no others.

Yup... Hunts, Lelands, REA, etc. would have shown similar results, whith prices topping out shortly after the year 2000... very true!

I'm pretty sure you know a bunch more about these than I do. I did see some crazy prices realized on the Tennis figures. Would love to see a few of yours, if you wouldn't mind posting here!

As for the generic (unmarked) ones.... I simply don't know the circumstances back in Germany in the 1890s. Could have been that certain retail outlets wanted to offer lower cost alternatives to the name brand. It almost seems ridiculous to apply today's terminology and marketing principles to the 19th Century... so won't even try to render a guess. But would love to see a few of yours side-by-side (Heubach vs. Generic).

Lastly, I was afraid that someone would ask the "Original Bat" question. Can you post a pic of the one you have that you believe is original? Would really love to see that...

The Auction Houses often claim to know whether the Bat is a replacement or original. But I'm not convinced anyone really knows for sure. It's a great question for the likes of David Hunt, Doug Allen, Rob Lifson, Josh Leland, Mike Hefner, Dan Imler or even Keith Schneider. I know at least half of those guys have been known to post here. But all are likely tied up with the National. So maybe we can get a definitive answer after the weekend

Last edited by perezfan; 07-31-2014 at 02:14 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default Mark

thanks for your willingness to share some thoughts. I'll try and get a few pix in the next day or two. They're mostly on shelves in "hard to get to" mode.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:14 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I completely get it

I actually cringe when people ask me for pics of something that's securely tucked away. Then after finding it, you have to upload the entire memory card just to access a couple of photos. It's a pain... so no hurry on the pics (although would be very cool to see!)

Thanks!