NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 05-08-2016, 11:36 AM

Default Clayton Kershaw

80-0 when given 4+ run support.

Only three times in the last 100 years has a pitcher had 3 consecutive games with 10+ k and no walks. Kershaw has two of those. The best!
Old 05-08-2016, 01:52 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

He's the best arm in the game, and worth every penny of his contract. Barring any injury, he will go down as one of the best in the history of the sport.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:15 PM
Jeff

I'm a fan and he seems like a decent guy too.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 40 years."
Old 05-08-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
80-0 when given 4+ run support.

Only three times in the last 100 years has a pitcher had 3 consecutive games with 10+ k and no walks. Kershaw has two of those. The best!
10/3/14 Kershaw was given 6 runs (Dodgers scored 9 in game) but Kershaw allowed 8 earned runs and lost.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
10/3/14 Kershaw was given 6 runs (Dodgers scored 9 in game) but Kershaw allowed 8 earned runs and lost.
Playoff game wasn't it.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:08 PM
qu@n nguy3n

i used to be a billingsley guy when they first came up but i've come around on kershaw. we've always known he was special long before, but he's about the perfect baseball player on and off the field. ferocious competitor always working to improve his game and gain an edge, whether a new pitch or batting. has his faith but doesn't have the holier-than-thou attitude. builds schools and churches in africa, but you'll never hear him toot his own horn or have a big national story written about him...he pretty much ignores his own local station that carries the dodgers games.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:50 AM

Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Playoff game wasn't it.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:53 AM
Bill Gregory

I think I have to say that Kershaw is now the best I've ever seen. Better than Pedro, better than Maddux. It's just unbelievable that he's getting even better now.

In the past five years, he's won three Cy Young Awards, was runner up once, and finished third place last year. And this year? He's showing a career-best 218 ERA +. He's struck out 77 batters, and has walked 4 in 8 starts. He's walking one batter every other game, lol. His WHIP right now is 0.726. He's striking out 11.2 batters per 9 IP.

Get this card, guys, while it's still semi-affordable.

When I get my dental work paid off, the first thing I'm doing is selling mine, and upgrading it to a Beckett-graded. My card is sharp, but the centering is off a little left to right, and there's a slight diamond cut on the left and right edges.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:10 AM
Raymond Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
I think I have to say that Kershaw is now the best I've ever seen. Better than Pedro, better than Maddux. It's just unbelievable that he's getting even better now.

In the past five years, he's won three Cy Young Awards, was runner up once, and finished third place last year. And this year? He's showing a career-best 218 ERA +. He's struck out 77 batters, and has walked 4 in 8 starts. He's walking one batter every other game, lol. His WHIP right now is 0.726. He's striking out 11.2 batters per 9 IP.

Get this card, guys, while it's still semi-affordable.

When I get my dental work paid off, the first thing I'm doing is selling mine, and upgrading it to a Beckett-graded. My card is sharp, but the centering is off a little left to right, and there's a slight diamond cut on the left and right edges.

I respectfully disagree. As much as I would like to have a fellow southpaw at the head of the pack, I believe Pedro Martinez was the best I've ever seen...and there is more of a gap between he and the next three (Maddux, RJ and Kershaw) than between the Maddux, Johnson and Kershaw.

Pedro was at his most dominant when hitters were at their most dominant. At 170 pounds, it was absolutely difficult to believe even when watching. He also shared the stage with Maddux, Johnson and PEDClemens.

It's easy to forget what an offensive game it was when Pedro and Maddux pitched. Much more offense than now.

MY BIG CONCERNS ABOUT AMERICA:

Internally- We spend too much time assuring our rights without learning the responsibilities that should accompany them.
Externally - No matter how much we claim to take the higher moral ground, we have neither respected nor attempted to understand other cultures.

Last edited by clydepepper; 05-14-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:50 AM
H Murphy

Default Pedro

Have to agree with Ray on this one, Pedro M. was the best pitcher I ever saw. Kershaw surely is tough and certainly a case can be made he`s the best pitcher in today`s game. Maybe I`m jaded living in the Boston area and having seen most of Pedro`s starts, but anyone that pitched the the 1990`s when 40 bombs was "eh so what" and made half his in the A L East and still flirted with an ERA around 2.00, WOW. Lastly, when the old timers tell me Pedro was the nearest to Koufax in their hay days that says a lot. Sorry to hijack the thread but these discussions are very fun and interesting. My 2 cents..........