NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-28-2002, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Default and I thought I was having a bad day

Posted By: Elliot

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1816650076

I bet he still has nightmares. Anybody else have stories?

Old 03-29-2002, 03:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John

My brother got a gem mint 1968 Mickey Mantle from his grandfather and while switching the card from a hard plastic to a screwdown holder he dropped the card and bent a corner real bad.He was planning on grading it too,it went from a 9-10 to a 4 instantly.Hard to believe 32 years it stayed so nice and my goofball brother managed to ruin it 10 minutes after he gets it

Old 03-29-2002, 05:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: HalleyGator

And you guys still wonder why I get all my cards slabbed so that this doesn't happen to klutzy old me??

Old 03-29-2002, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

...while wearing sandals, blood everywhere. oh, sorry.

When I first started collecting vintage cards, I carried them with me a lot. One day it was raining cats and dogs and I dropped a box containing my entire collection - cards were everywhere. Fortunately every one was in a slip within a top-loader, and even though there was water inside some of the top-loaders, the cards were fine. Very close call!

Old 03-29-2002, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: HalleyGator

Maybe you should have been walkscott that day instead.

Old 03-29-2002, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

1) I decided to unwrap my first cabinet card on the bus.
2) I decided to soak a Scrapbook page to get a Scrapps off.

3) I bought a Mayo Billy Hamilton from...

4) Dennis King put my '49 pete reeser (sp?) in a briown paper bag--no holder. I crumpled it up as if it was garbage.

1) Paul Messier put it back together,
2) I replaced it over a year later, and Mark macrae gave me $20 for the two pieces, which I had neatly mended with wheat starch paste.

3) I still need a Hamilton.
4) I replaced the Reeser (sp?) 10 years later.

I think that's a few too many, what?

Old 03-29-2002, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I carefully pulled off a price tag from a Murad box (very cheap) at a flea market about 3 months ago. Half of the back of the box carefully came off too regards all

Old 03-29-2002, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 03-29-2002, 07:46 PM
Administrator

...using melted caramel from vintage cracker jacks (from the great stale CJ find of 1993), to glue the pieces together. Totally vintage.

Old 03-30-2002, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

Horror stories
1. I bought an E94 Jennings with gold background (the one I needed) in EX+ on ebay from a respected dealer. When I took it out of the hard case to transfer it in to the pocket pages, the top 1/4 "exploded" and the surface paper slid off.
2. Buying some T207 vintage cards from Clean Sweep Auctions only to find out that they were either taken to Hawaii by mistake, sent to Nebraska by mistake, misplaced or still in the mail, depending on which employee I talked to. I finally got my money back a few months later after several phone calls and angry emails. My last dealings with a company I had spent a couple of thousand dollars with putting together that set.
3. My first baseball card purchased when I got back in the hobby in 1981, from a local card shop. The seller assured me that the 1955 Killebrew was so rare that you couldn't find it in better than VG shape.
4. Turning down a stack of about 40-50 EXMT T205s at the Kansas City show when Ted Williams was the guest, back in the late 80's. The guy wandering the aisles saw I was buying T206s and tried to sell me this stack. I didn't want to get in to collecting another set. He came down on the price all the way from $200 to $75. Matty was on top of the stack. Dumbest move I ever made.
5. Selling a near complete set of T213-3s less a Cobb which I kept (and later traded) to Bill Mastro for $350 in the early 80's. They were from a find in Louisiana. I still see them popping up in Mastro auctions from time to time. Try finding even a single T213-3 these days. Included 2 cards which were not even checklisted by Lew Lipset in his book. DUMB!

Old 03-30-2002, 10:19 AM
Administrator

...are making dumb mistakes even as I type, and we won't know it for 10-20 years!

(at the time they weren't dumb mistakes)

Old 03-30-2002, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I won't even go into the bad sales or trade moves (who knew the values would soar.). But I can only recall two really stupid card moves. I creased my brand new near mint-mint Elvin Hayes (1969 basketball) rookie card while slipping it into a holder. I put my Hang Greenberg Exhibit card into a rigid holder that wasn't rigid enough and put a network of hairline creases into it.

I am pretty good with storage--my cards survived the 1994 Northridge earthquake that wrecked my building, without a single ding or crease. Too bad, because I had those suckers WAAAY overinsured.

Old 03-30-2002, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I had about 20 Sports Impressions ceramic statues when they were hot back in the late 80s and they managed to survive the big SF earthquake in 1989. I still have the #1 statue of Will Clark if anyone is interested ;-D

I've been lucky and never had an accident handling a rare or valuable card. I did drop Lee on his head a few times though

Jay