NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Default STORY & PHOTOS OF 2008 NATIONAL ON SPORTSANTIQUES.COM

Posted By: CarltonHendricks

http://www.sportsantiques.com/08natphotopg1.htm
Dear Fellow Net54'ers,
Please note, I'll be at the National Sports Collectors Convention in Rosemont next week. I will be posting story and photos of all the great stuff I see there, on my site SportsAntiques.com.

The plan is:

Step 1
I'll post some photos during National week, July 30 to August 3rd.

Step 2
I should have all the photos posted by about a week after the National.

Step 3
I plan to have the written account with photos posted by the end of August....I know I know, took forever last year.

Please check the link above between July 30th and August 3rd for the first round of photos. Thank you Leon for allowing this post.
Carlton Hendricks
Editor Publisher SportsAntiques.com

Old 07-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Excellent, Carlton! Since I can't go this year your photos and write-ups will be of tremendous value to me. I know that if there is anything of great quality in (or even near) Chicago, you will not overlook it.

Thanks so much for doing us this great service!

Old 07-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Have a safe trip & see you in Chicago.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

You are a great guy and an even better hobbyist. I am very much looking forward to meeting you in person. If you don't have anything going on on Thursday you should come to our Dinner.....and you can bring some friends if you want to....but I do need to know in the next few days...take care now and see ya soon!!!

Old 07-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the kind words everyone...yeah the dinner sounds great Leon, when and where? I'm there

Old 07-22-2008, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Hi Carlton

I just need to know how many and which entree ya'll prefer, pasta bar with grilled meat and veggies or stir fry with the same? see ya there...we have about 110 rsvp'd before you......it will be a lot of fun.....details in this thread....
regards

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1215546709/last-1216687110/7th+Annual+Network54+VBCF+National+Dinner+RSVP+thr ead

Old 07-23-2008, 06:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Never being able to go there myself, I always look forward to your articles on it Carlton! Always well written and, what I like the most, from a collector's point of view. It's almost as if we were walking down the aisles with you. Have fun!

Greg

Old 07-23-2008, 10:46 PM
Administrator

Leon, Just sent you an email with my entree choice, plus RSVP for another person.

Greg, certainly appreciate your kind words and encouragement.

Thanks Much! -Carlton

Old 08-11-2008, 11:27 AM
Administrator

http://www.sportsantiques.com/08natphotopg1.htm
Dear Fellow Net54'ers,
Please know I’ve posted 601 photos on my site, of the 29th Annual 2008 National Sports Collectors Convention. The Convention was held at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont Illinois July 30th-August 3rd. I shot anything and everything that was exceptional, plus booth and people shots aplenty. Above is a link to page 1, of 11 pages of photos.

Please know the National is essentially the largest and greatest gathering of sports memorabilia and sports antiques for sale, in the world. Therefore, for those who can not make it, these photos are a rare opportunity sees this world class event.

I should have my written account of the convention posted by the end of August. My written account will include my pre con wanderings around Chicago, plus a special feature of an exceptional football collection by a Chicago area collector. Enjoy the show!
God Bless,
-Carlton

Old 08-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

Carlton,

Thank you so much for posting the pictures and I look forward to reading your article when complete. Many of us that have young families and full time jobs really appreciate the efforts board members like yourself make. I still have not been able to get to the biggest show of the year, but still can view some great pictures.

Thanks Jimmy

Old 08-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Thanks Carlton! Just got done looking through the majority of them and your pics made me feel like I was there.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Same here... thank you Carlton! The pictures were great (as usual) and I must have enlarged over half of them to get a better look at some amazing pieces. This meant so much to me, as I couldn't attend this year.

I cannot wait to read your write-ups, either. The pictures generated so many questions... who was selling certain items/how much were they asking/which items actually sold/etc, etc.

We will be eagerly awaiting your report, and just want to say thanks again for having one of the very best Memorabilia sites on the web!

Old 08-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Thank you all for your kind words, and taking the time to express them.
Jimmy, I'm glad to afford you the opportunity. Family is numero uno, good for you putting your family first!
Dan, Glad you came along for the ride!
Mark, Good for you taking the time to click and enlarge all those photos...I'm on the story!
-Carlton

Old 08-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Administrator

I am a little late (as usual) but thanks for all of your hard work in letting others less fortunate be able to share some of the sights of the National. It was very nice meeting and speaking with you too.....take care

Old 08-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Administrator

I'm a little late, too. It was great meeting & spending time with you.

Alan

Old 08-13-2008, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: chris

I apreciated the chance to see the pics, as well. Thanks!

Old 08-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Carlton, thanks for the great photos again. Were you able to add anything to your collection? Can't wait to see if you added any figurals or advertising pieces.

Clint

Old 08-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brock G.

Great stuff Carlton. Looking forward to your write up of the event. Its mucho apreciado.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

Super work as usual Carlton. I was eagerly awaiting your photos, and am just as eagerly awaiting your writeup.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Thank you all for your kind encouraging words. -Carlton

Old 08-18-2008, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Great stuff as usual Carlton. It's like being there...almost.

Greg

Old 09-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Please know I’m still working on my written account of the 08’ National, and I estimate at least another week before it’s ready. Rather than mash out something just for the sake of keeping to my end of August deadline, I would prefer to spend the extra time to lay it out as nice I can. Thanks for your patience. -Carlton

Old 09-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Administrator

As some of you may know I’m way over my end of August deadline for my 08‘ National story, and I apologize for the delay. But please know I am working on it continually. I find I enjoy writing it if I don’t rush it. So rather than serve it up too rare, I’m going to take my time and try to get it just right.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

I'll never eat steak again!!! Yikes.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:40 AM
Administrator

http://sportsantiques.com/08natstorypg1.htm
Dear Friends,
Please know my written coverage of the 2008 National Sports Collectors Convention is now available to read, see link above. Im not quite finished with the design, but the main body of text is finished. The convention was held last summer in Rosemont Illinois near Chicago, July 31 to Sunday August 3. This my 6th National coverage, is the largest Ive produced, encompassing 16,090 words and more than 600 photos. Last years story for the 07 National was 10,898 words.

Ive been preparing the story 5 months. Naturally I could finish it faster if I reported just the bare facts. But providing a comprehensive look at everything I saw, plus my pre-convention wanderings, plus executing the graphic layout so it all looks snazzy, takes more time. 5 months worth if I lead a normal un-sequestered life. As well as the 4 pages of the main story, Ive prepared an additional 15 sub photo pages, each featuring a given dealers items. Theres also a sub photo page of the Net54 Baseball Memorabilia Forum dinner held during the National. Plus this year Ive included a finale bonus; the football collection of Dave Perry who lives near Chicago.

Enjoy the show. Id like to read your feedback, so feel free to email them to comments@sportsantiques.com, or post here.
-Carlton

Old 12-11-2008, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

I am so happy you are finished, thanks for all your hard work

I look forward to reading about your trip

Jimmy

J&B Sports Auctions

Old 12-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Job well done....a few minor corrections pertaining to Net54. My name is spelled "Luckey".....I didn't found Net54 but have run it for the last 3-4 yrs or so...And the dinner had sponsorhip from SGC/Myself for most of it and also from Beckett....Great article and great write up though...I can't wait for next year....Hope to see you again ....best regards

Old 12-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brock G.

Amazing job Carlton. Honestly, the best part of it all are the photos of your personal collection. That display case featuring your game collection had my jaw on the floor. Thanks for all the hard work and time spent putting this together so we can all enjoy the experiance.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:27 AM
Administrator

Great work as always, Carlton. Looks like this was a magnificent show for figural statues and trophies in particular. Though your report made me really regret staying at home, thanks so much for your great coverage and photos!

I'm still salivating over that giant baseball statue from Kevin Bronson's booth. Also, I believe the Wilson Trophy from Russ/Rusty Purdy's booth depicts Walter Johnson (rather than a young Babe Ruth). I have seen photos of the Big Train that are identical to that follow-through throwing pose.

Thanks again for all of your hard work and reporting expertise!

Old 12-12-2008, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

Fantastic write-up as usual Carlton. Excellent work, and thanks for letting those who haven't been able to go to nationals experience it through your excellent writing.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Fantastic write-up !!! And, great spending some time with you at that National !!!

Alan

Old 12-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: chris

Just awesome! Thanks for doing this! chris

Old 12-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, glad you're ejoying it. I added photos of Russ Purdy's things on page 3. Boy did he have some trophies. I was curious why he was selling them since you know it had to have taken years to acquire all them. He said his wife wanted him to sell them...I guess it was a room factor.

Leon, Sorry for the misspell...I got it fixed along with the credits for the dinner, and thanks again for letting me announce my coverage here. -Carlton