NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-21-2007, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Default Alas...a dark day, but duty calls

Posted By: wayne

By no means am I a high profile collector like alot of you guys are, but I have slowly been collecting my beloved T206 cards for about 7 years now. Slowly getting my collection to around 50 cards, (PSA & SGC 4's & 5's). Alas, the dark day has come where necessity has demanded that I sell my collection. Sad as it is, with a four month old little boy in the house, new bills have reared their ugly head and demanded to be paid. Much enjoyment has been derived from these cards, but I keep telling myself that much more enjoyment is in my future with my wife and little man in my life. To provide for them in a difficult financial time is a reward in itself. My plan is down the road, when things get better (which they will) Is to restablish my love affair with the t206 which has brought me much pleasure. My wife didnt want for me to sell them either, but I insisted that we do it. Thank you for listening to my morning rant, and hope to be with all of you guys soon, to enjoy the expertise, and satire that this wonderful site has brought me. THANKS AGAIN!!!

Old 03-21-2007, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Wayne:

Definitely a dark day indeed.

I remember when I first got married - economic conditions dictated that I sell off most of my childhood collection of vintage cards that I'd built over a 10-year period. Lots of T206s, Bowmans and early Topps cards. It was painful.

The good thing is that the cards will always be there, and you'll be able to jump back in when the climate changes for you. Family is ALWAYS more important, and fatherhood beats baseball cards every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Good luck!

-Al

Old 03-21-2007, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: mark

Will you be listing them on B/S/T or Ebay?

Old 03-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Administrator

I have already come to an agreement with a private collector. Getting top dollar thank goodness! Getting every bit I need. Thanks for the inquiry!

Old 03-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jP

Wayne not a dark day at all, just a minor set back. Keep your head up. I admire what you are doing and i too would and will drop all of it in a heartbeat for my family.

a baseball card cant hug you back or say the right words after a hard days night. best of luck to you!

my collection: http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m95/obaks/

Old 03-21-2007, 09:56 AM
Administrator

How true that is JP, and thank you for the encouragement. Like I said, I had been collecting primarily PSA & SGC 4 & 5's and got the majority of them 4 or 5 years ago when the market was a little more affordable. Now I would go into debt to try and replace these cards, thus the lamenting because I feel I might not be able to touch those grades ever again. However, my plan is to perhaps go in with the frame of mind of PSA/SGC 3, and 4's instead. Price is a little more palatable.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RC

I agree with the above post, while certainly a sad time, it still needs to be kept in perspective. Your family is #1 and that is admirable in today's age. You'll be back and you will have your family to share it with.

Good luck, RC

Old 03-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

Somewhat in the same boat here...three small kids...money that used to be there for cards isnt anymore. My T206 collection consist of PSA 1-3's because of them being more affordable. You can also get some great looking fronts in those grades with a little paper loss, etc on the back. And you can always upgrade when the little ones finally fly the coup..(when they are 40)

Old 03-21-2007, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Mohler

I too can sympathize. I am trying to weed out miscellaneous cards that I acquired in order to pay off some bills (I just moved).

Instead of giving up on the hobby entirely, maybe you should consider moving to a less expensive set. I have taken up the Goudey wide pen set and Colgans. I am enjoying the black and white cards just as much as the more expensive color cards.

Jeff

Old 03-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

I had to sell my 70 Corvette

Old 03-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

Wayne,

I learned years ago, after the first time I sold most of my collection, that a collector never needs to give up collecting. I'll probably never own the cards I once had ('33 Ruth, '34 Gehrig, '52 Topps Mantle, etc.), but I enjoy the cards I do have a whole lot more. Now, instead of striving to be a "serious" collector, I am simply a bargain hunter and a collector of flawed and/or underappreciated cards. There are so many great cards and related collectibles that are affordable ... you'll just never see them in a PSA 8 holder or a Mastro catalog ...

Old 03-21-2007, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

70 Corvette....

I sold my 1937 Dodge, 4 door, flat head 6 engine, 94,000 actual miles, engine overhauled at 89,000, ran like a watch. Suicide doors and running boards... a big ram out there for a hood ornament.