NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-07-2014, 04:52 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Default Lionel Carter Letter about the hobby - 2003

Got this from a board member, and thought it had pretty cool insights from Mr. Carter and some good hobby references. Love what he says about the '33 Goudey Ruth cards Signed by him at the end, neat piece if you ask me.

Just wanted to share.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LC.jpg (81.9 KB, 501 views)
File Type: jpg LC2.jpg (85.5 KB, 500 views)

Last edited by gnaz01; 08-07-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:56 PM

Cool piece
Old 08-07-2014, 05:03 PM
Robert

Very nice Greg............cool read from one of the hobbys true collectors
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 08-07-2014, 06:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

It's unfortunate he was scared into having to sell his beloved sets. I never did trust the storyline that was given. As a friend of mine said in analyzing a fight scene in First Blood, too many right angles.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-07-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:25 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It's unfortunate he was scared into having to sell his beloved sets. I never did trust the storyline that was given. As a friend of mine said in analyzing a fight scene in First Blood, too many right angles.
Didn't Doug Allen say the "gypsies" stole his cards?
Old 08-07-2014, 06:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Didn't Doug Allen say the "gypsies" stole his cards?
Yeah, and somehow he predicted well in advance they all would be returned, and there was other stuff too that just seemed too convenient for me. And of course they happened to end up consigned to Mastro because the "theft" scared Carter so much. Whatever.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-07-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:30 PM
George Gogol

Outstanding post, and clear scan. Thank you so much for sharing and congrats on a great pick-up!
Old 08-07-2014, 06:30 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I wonder how Doug Allen sleeps at night knowing that his kids will learn what an utter scumbag he is.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:45 PM
qualitycards

Greg, very neat letter, thanks for posting it.

I have many Lionel Carter pedigree's, here's a couple I wish I still had.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:31 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Nice letter Greg.

In reading the various posts here I wouldn't be too harsh on the guy as to how and why he sold his collection. Here's my one and only pedigree:

Old 08-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Kev1n @1les

I had seen the Lionel Carter holders but did not know what they were. After reading this letter, I did a google search and read on on Carter (which led me to reading up on Burdick, etc).

Wow, what a story and what a collection. He wouldn't pony up the $150 for a Wagner and it ended up selling for $125 - even though his wife encouraged him to splurge.

It must have been sad watching his collection be parsed out. He had no heirs, so no one to leave the cash to - he just enjoyed it for the hobby that it was

Does anyone know the final tally of what the collection brought? I couldn't find that in a google search.

Also, Peter, I am trying to read between the lines and don't know if you wish to be cryptic or care to share via pm, but what is the Doug Allen story behind the collection? The articles that I read make Allen out to be a good guy - underwriting his ww2 book, getting the flips to say Lionel Carter collection etc.

Good education on my part.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 08-07-2014, 09:07 PM
George Gogol

I am with Kevin...
I know Doug is in hot water, to say the least, but didn't know he did in sketchy things concerning Mr. Carter and his wife. Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 08-07-2014, 09:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Oh don't mind me, I'm just a cynic who is skeptical when a massive collection is stolen allegedly by gypsies, its return is predicted with confidence well in advance, the entire collection is then miraculously returned intact (that happens often with million dollar thefts, right?), and shortly afterwards the auction house guy who says he is working with the collector to help him safeguard the collection ends up with one of the biggest consignments of all time. It's all in threads on this forum, my opinion is only my own and not trying to convince (or accuse) anyone of anything, maybe it all went down exactly as was stated, read it for yourself. YMMV.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-07-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:33 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Relax, Peter, Doug won't sue you for libel as long as truth is an absolute defense.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:42 PM
Barry Arnold

Default Peter S

I note that you refer to your self as cynical once again.
If you nuzzle the kind, bark at the greedy, and bite scoundrels, I must
agree with you, with much appreciation.

all the best, ole buddy

barry
Old 08-07-2014, 11:22 PM

Thanks for printing this. Lionel really was good at answering his mail.

He so wanted to have his book published---"CARTER AND THE CAVALRY". By the end of his life it was all ready. However, it never got published. During the time they were auctioning his collection, Doug Allen had said they were going to try to get it published. Did they??

I for one would like to read it, partly to honor Mr. Carter, and because I enjoy World War II history. Having read a bunch of Lionel's hobby writings, I'm certain I'd find it fascinating.

Regardless, thanks again for sharing the letter with the rest of us. I appreciate it. -Brian Powell
Old 08-08-2014, 05:32 AM
Rob G.

my only E95
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12_Matthewson_(814).jpg (73.7 KB, 247 views)
Old 08-08-2014, 06:49 AM
qualitycards

Here's another Lionel Carter (that I still have) of a local boy from New Oxford, PA, which is next to Gettysburg.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:22 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Oh don't mind me, I'm just a cynic who is skeptical when a massive collection is stolen allegedly by gypsies, its return is predicted with confidence well in advance, the entire collection is then miraculously returned intact (that happens often with million dollar thefts, right?), and shortly afterwards the auction house guy who says he is working with the collector to help him safeguard the collection ends up with one of the biggest consignments of all time. It's all in threads on this forum, my opinion is only my own and not trying to convince (or accuse) anyone of anything, maybe it all went down exactly as was stated, read it for yourself. YMMV.
Not alone I too found it a bit too good to be true, still do.

My BS meter always seems to be pegged at the max in this hobby, I wonder if the FBI has a more professional model as I keep breaking the ones I'm buying to safe guard me.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:59 AM
Paul

After I won Lionel's T206 Plank card in the 2007 Mastro Auction, I called him and interviewed him about the card and his collection. I also corresponded with him a bit. You can listen to my interview, and read some of the letters on my website, here:

http://www.signedt206.com/lionel-carter-interview/

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-08-2014, 10:59 AM
Pau.l C

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
After I won Lionel's T206 Plank card in the 2007 Mastro Auction, I called him and interviewed him about the card and his collection. I also corresponded with him a bit. You can listen to my interview, and read some of the letters on my website, here:

http://www.signedt206.com/lionel-carter-interview/
Amazing story!! Thanks for posting it.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:22 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

George Vrechek wrote some pieces about Carter for SCD awhile back and they are archived over at the OBC website in the Library section: http://www.oldbaseball.com/

Well worth a read!
Old 08-09-2014, 06:52 AM
Mike

Default Late to the thread

Just catching up on this, and am with both John and Peter in the ranks of cynics about how the whole process went down, though am glad that he did not lose his life's effort all together.

Some folks have reassembled a number of his T207s - my two contributions:

One of my favorite cards for sheer visual effect (in person)

and a (rare?) brown-ink back

--
Mike
Old 08-09-2014, 02:51 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Nice to own this one.