NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-22-2012, 09:30 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Default Flattening 3D cards

Is there any proven way to flatten 3D cards? I have a set of (I forget which) that are curled in arcshape that I bought in the late sixties. I keep reading that they will crack. etc. Also, I don't grade my stuff -- although I might in this situation -- but how do TPGers get them in holders? Is there some guarantee that they will remain "untarnished" thoughout that encased existence?
Old 08-22-2012, 09:47 AM
Steve Birmingham

I don't know of any way to flatten them without some sort of damage. They curl because the plastic shrinks and the paper it's bonded to doesn't. As the plastic dries and shrinks it also gets a bit brittle, so flexing it can cause cracks and/or coming loose from the paper.
If the plastic is still pliable it might work to put them in screwdown holders. But that will flatten the ridges.

Of the 3-d stuff I have, the Kelloggs have done ok if kept out of light The sets in the original mailer have curled the least, ones I bought at flea markets have done the worst. A 3-d basketball set I have in screwdowns is doing just fine.

I have some non-card 3-d stuff. Some large 3d pictures by the inventor of the process are doing really well, no problems at all and only a hint of curl- maybe 1/4 inch over 14 inches. Some 3-d Postcards are doing very poorly, when I got them they were curled nearly back over themselves along the edge. They probably got lots of light exposure.

Steve B
Old 08-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I wonder if putting them in a low heat oven for a short time would relax the plastic enough to allow the cards to be pressed flatter without cracking. Probably worth a common or two to experiment.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Mark

I have stored my Kelloggs cards in nine pocket sheets, but have placed the cards in rigid top loaders and trimmed the sides off of the loaders first. They now reside between two hard plastic sheets inside the sheets. They haven't curled a bit in years and display very well
Old 08-22-2012, 04:05 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

All great replies. If I had several curled beaters I would try all recommended remedies: ovens, trimmed loaders, et al. This is a complete set, pretty sure it's Topps, but not in my possession at this time due to boring marital reasons.
But what about sending them curled to TPGers? Would they just insert them inside holders and I would have to pray for mercy throughout the years?
Old 08-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Al Richter

Default 3D

I have never collected the Kellogg cards but do have a set of the Topps 1968 3D cards. They don't have a bending problem but can crack. I don't have the courage to try Adam's low level oven heat but maybe I can convince Bob (bobsbbcards) to try that on some of his :-)....or maybe soaking them :-0.

I have always liked the Kellogg cards. Do all of them bend over time, or just some ?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Bob F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
but maybe I can convince Bob (bobsbbcards) to try that on some of his :-)....or maybe soaking them :-0.

I have always liked the Kellogg cards. Do all of them bend over time, or just some ?
Hmmmm.....I'm thinking not.

The wider Kellogg's cards (1970 and 1981) don't seem to be as prone to curling as their narrower brothers. I've stored my sets in plastic sheets forever, so they haven't had any opportunity to curl.

You should really try and collect these--it would be a nice addition to your other stuff. Bazooka too.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:18 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I agree that the 1970s seem to be quite stable. My 1970s have been in card savers inside 4 pocket sheets in binders for many years without curling or cracking. I also have an SGC 88 Mays that is doing fine. I even picked up a Richie Allen out of a junk box at the Natty w/o any issues, and it had been floating free w/o a holder for who knows how long. That said, I have seen TPG slabbed cards with cracks and high grades, so they can crack after being encapsulated. I've put some mildly curved cards into card savers/sheets w/o trouble. I try not to purchase cards with significant curvature in the first place, as I am concerned with cracking, and there are enough examples out there to avoid the ones that have rolled up.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-24-2012, 04:09 AM
John Michael

I am a big Kelloggs collector and have always used the rigid top loaders for straightening. Never have had one crack. I've bought slabbed sets and lots with cracked cards and have always wondered how long after grading did the cracking occur.

Sadly, even more common than curling/cracking is the fading of the 3D effect. I distinctly remember how vibrant they looked right out of the cereal box and all have lost their original luster to some extent.

Oh and one more thing, these cards do not like cool, dry storage areas like basements during the winter.

Last edited by theseeker; 08-24-2012 at 04:12 AM.