NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-14-2014, 12:12 PM

Default 20" x 16" c1895 basketball team - Is this a colorized photo or an art print?

I picked up this 20" x 16" basketball team photo last sunday at a show for a whopping $20.00...that is I think it's basketball...could be soccer/asociation FB...I've seen these kinds of prints before but they aren't too common...my question is...is there a specific name for this kind of image...It's hard to say if it's a print or photo...sort of in between..."Cummins" seems to be designated as the "artist"...Since the E.H. Roberts Portrait Co. started about 1911...someone probably took the negative or original photo to them to have this artistic treatment applied....

I'm anticipating Mr. Cycleback may be able to explain this kind of image...thanks so much

BTW....does anyone know anything about this team?

photo Maples189520x16Inch_zps7e45f37a.jpg

photo BallClose_zps522b0bc1.jpg

photo Back_zpsf269fee6.jpg

photo PortraitCo_zpsdca8dcf2.jpg

photo Artist_zpsf15c3f56.jpg

photo EHRobertsCoBio_zps2abd4f43.jpg

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 08-14-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:25 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

It's called a crayon and chalk portrait, and is a hand colored photo. The photography studio would make an underdeveloped photo then color it in by hand with colored chalk and crayon to make it resemble an art sketch or painting. It was a standard antique artsty style photo often used to make 1800s and early 1900s family portraits to be hung from the wall. They are usually large and were originally framed, often in oval bubble glass frames.

In many cases, the photographer would re-photograph his handy work and the final result would be monotone (sepia or black and white). However, if there are colors, as with yours, the original hand coloring is right there on the surface.

It's a very old fashioned style and type, and was largely discontinued not so long after 1911.

Last edited by drcy; 08-14-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:33 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Also, as they were usually made as large display pieces to be hung from the wall at home, usually only one was made. Most large framed color crayon and chalk portraits you see are one-of-ones. The exception would be where one or two duplicates were made for relatives or an additional one for the office, but, even then, most of the dupes would have been lost in time.

Last edited by drcy; 08-14-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:08 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default one thought

(all I can have at any given moment) is that a typical soccer team hosts 11 players although a team can field fewer players. Not sure if that was always the case. Basketball seems more logical (I know nothing about the ball pictured) - thinking that a team with the moniker the Maples (Leafs as depicted on the unis) are in a Kansas City photo shoot - I would guess they were "on the road" - in which case the full team would likely be pictured and nine players figures right for a BB team........
Old 08-14-2014, 04:33 PM
Jim Murphy

his phone number is on the back, give him a call and ask
Old 08-14-2014, 05:31 PM
Brad Francis

Even though there are a few guys with 'staches, I think it may be a high school team.

Adrian Michigan has used the name "Maples" for many years, as have Seaholm in Birmingham Michigan, and Maplestown in Greensboro Pennsylvania. I hope this helps.

All of these locations are not too terribly far from MO where the coloring treatment was done. Let me know what you find out. You should ask the person you bought it from where they got it. And then follow it back if you can. This has worked for me on more than one occasion.

Brad in Utah
Old 08-14-2014, 05:44 PM
Belltown Vintage

Basketball, not soccer

Adults, not high school

Given the above, it might be easier to determine location.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:23 PM

Thank all of you for your input and opinions...Especially Mr. Cycleback for clarifying the kind of print it is.

Upon closer inspection of the ball...it appears to have the same seams as a soccer ball...and a piece of round leather trim on the end...looks more like a soccer ball than a basketball...It's a mysterious photo...

photo BallCloseRedLines_zpse459071b.jpg

Old 08-16-2014, 01:40 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

My guess is it's basketball. Soccer balls usually had different panel patterns/designs.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:07 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

It's also possible they were playing an obscure sport we don't know about. Who knows what what was going on all the time in the gym circa 1895. I remember climbing ropes in gym. But my best guess is still basketball.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:48 AM
Jim Murphy

Basketball was invented in 1891 by a gym teacher and in the early years they used balls they had around gyms but mainly soccer balls.

You know you can look this stuff up

Last edited by murphusa; 08-16-2014 at 05:52 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:50 AM

Default Association ball

Here is an image from an 1894 Spalding guide. The ball shown, and likely being held by the player is an Association ball. It was used for soccer, but as Jim said, early basketball games likely used soccer balls. Also, here is an image of a women's basketball team found via a google search that shows the same style ball.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:55 AM
Belltown Vintage

Look at the clothing.

Show many a pic of any soccer team wearing singlets.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2014, 12:16 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Early basketball was passing and shooting, with very little dribbling, so what type of ball used may have been of lesser importance.

They didn't dribble because of the laces on one side, which made the ball erratic to bounce. When they removed the laces around 1930, then dribbling came into vogue.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:43 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

One reason to guess it's not a soccer team, is soccer requires at least eleven players and there are only ten in the photo. Obviously there can be missing players and all that, but it looks as if they tried to gather the whole team.

Last edited by drcy; 08-16-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:10 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
One reason to guess it's not a soccer team, is soccer requires at least eleven players and there are only ten in the photo. Obviously there can be missing players and all that, but it looks as if they tried to gather the whole team.
David, I played soccer and anyone else who ever played soccer will tell you that soccer players don't wear singlets. For a team photo they would certainly have worn something closer to a soccer uniform.

Last edited by Runscott; 08-16-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:37 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I played and follow soccer and know what soccer uniforms are like (tank tops not worn in games), but wasn't sure what they'd wear circa 1895. I'm the one who's twice said I think the photo is basketball.

Via my facebook photo archive: Me playing soccer as a kid.

Last edited by drcy; 08-16-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:12 PM
Belltown Vintage

It wasnt just you that was missing the obvious 'not basketball' clue

Old 08-16-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
It wasnt just you that was missing the obvious 'not basketball' clue

Well you're way ahead of me I had to look up what a singlet was LOL...