NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-12-2003, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Default Opinions on this?

Posted By: JimV

I was tempted to bid on this. But, the bottom border (particularly from frontal scan) appears trimmed to me.

Agree? Disagree?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2716725945&category=31718

Old 03-12-2003, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

...especially when found in NM or NM-MT PSA holders.

Old 03-12-2003, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

says it is not trimmed, that's the gospel for a lot of folks. Bid on the card, not the holder! If you think the bottom border is trimmed, let it go, there'll be another down the road.

Old 03-12-2003, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

a couple of my m116s are short, but not that short.

Jay

Old 03-12-2003, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

RB Craik or John B. (can't remember which) had one on ebay a month ago which he released (along with several others) from being glued to a piece of paper. If memory serves, that Young also had a thin bottom border.

Old 03-12-2003, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

The ones I have (not too many, maybe 5), and the one's I have seen, are all over the board in size. If it were me I would be looking for waviness or other poor characteristics.....regards all......and I don't have any KB cabinets.....yet

Old 03-12-2003, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

as an m116 collector, and having assembled the set, i can attest this card looks fine. i have had several cy youngs and all have the very thin bottom border, this is definitely not a set where you can go by measurements, as you handle enough of each player you will know the variances, many come small and many come oversized.

oh and by the way the black back version is the easier of the 2, the guides just don't collect cards. the blue back is much tougher on all of the black/blue version backs. this i can affirm after spending a few years doing the set, which is my second favorite set of all time, you get so many players in esquisite poses and clarity and most don't cost that much compared to other mainstream sets.

scott

Old 03-14-2003, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimV

As always - great feedback from the board. "Never leave home without it"

JV

Old 03-14-2003, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

Jim-

I have found the M116's to occasionally appear trimmed, too. For some weird reason, it is a characteristic of some of the cards in this set. The M116's have some characteristics that I'm not used to, but I think they are neat cards.

They tend to have some surface chipping on the borders (like the gold border T205's do), but it even seems to manifest itself a little differently. I have a PSA 8 Matty M116 (pastel) that has a slight surface chip at one corner (of the ink only) but the corner is still as sharp as a tack and is a great looking card. I have a PSA 5 (blue back) that appears slightly trimmed compared to the pastel back, but in fact it is not. They're both terrific looking cards, though.

I've read quite a bit of info on this board (earlier postings from probably a year ago) from several posters about the M116's and the fact that some of them LOOK trimmed, but they aren't. It might be just some strange run that some of the cards went through in factory cutting.