NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 06-11-2012, 07:35 PM

Default do folks here collect other stuff?

Not sure where to post this thread, but...

Vintage cards are really my favorite. But I am now also into collecting coins, Buffalo nickels in particular. So much to the point I have joined PCGS and have a 25 coin submission now in progress. It is exactly like submitting cards - you hold your breath for the day the graded are posted - anxiety and all the other emotions, good and bad.

Then there is Star Wars stuff - I gotta hold myself back on these collectibles. But a few well chosen Yoda's and Darth Vader's look cool around the house. Plus my kid really likes them. It is hard to keep them in original packaging with him around, oh, well.

So besides cards, what other collectibles are you into? I want to get a feel for if you all are as crazy as me.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:38 AM
Barry Sloate

I collect large cents, and have been doing so for about five years. My chain cent is an NCGS Good 6 (the Early American Copper people grade it VG 10, net 8), but all my other ones are raw. I much prefer them that way.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:46 AM
$teve O.

Car stuff.Books,parts,pictures,drag racing programs from the '50's and '60s Hot Rod mags.from the same period.The upstairs of my garage is filled
with high performance car parts.I also have a couple of cars.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:47 AM

Default Lots of things....................

Morning,

As well as collecting Non Sports Cards, I also collect Ex-Wifes....Actually usually let them go, with a 25 ft. head start , Comic Books, First Edition Hardbacks and Rare 19th & 20th century Science Fiction Hardbacks and Paperbacks. Dabble in lots of other stuff WW II Books, have hundreds and hundreds, other stuff!!

YeeHah !!!

Neil
Old 06-12-2012, 12:38 PM
T!M R10rd@n

I collect calories. Does that count?

It's a side effect of a passion for cooking and competition BBQ. The competiton BBQ stuff takes up any hobby dollars the cards and memorabilia don't.

So it's pretty much just cards and memorabilia for me.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default ex-wives :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedutymon View Post
Morning,

As well as collecting Non Sports Cards, I also collect Ex-Wifes....Actually usually let them go, with a 25 ft. head start , Comic Books, First Edition Hardbacks and Rare 19th & 20th century Science Fiction Hardbacks and Paperbacks. Dabble in lots of other stuff WW II Books, have hundreds and hundreds, other stuff!!

YeeHah !!!

Neil
Collecting ex-wives sounds expensive Neil. I hope you and your son can make the dinner again this year at the National.

As for collecting other things.....well, besides cards I collect lots of tobacciana surrounding the cards, wrappers and boxes and etc... surrounding the cards, and last but not least Type 1 photos used to make cards.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:31 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

I collect:

Top Tier of collecting (On the same level as sports cards):
Batman anything

2nd tier of collecting
Movie Posters
Comics
Some Superman

3rd Tier of collecting
Non sport trade cards
Kids Meal toys
Vinyl Records
Pez Dispensers

I also have tendency to hoard anything that I believe has an interesting tid bit about it.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Louis
Louis Wi.ese

Silver dollars produced at the New Orleans Mint.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Steve Birmingham

Race used bicycles plus a few other special ones.
1986 US national team team pursuit

Stamps, especially the official mail stamps from the 1870's particularly ones showing defects in the printing plates.
1875 special printing foreign entry of 6c executive on 6c State dept. position 11 One of probably 4-5 sold.

1875 special printing 2c State with double transfer at the bottom. One of 51-52 sold. (On the left, the right one is normal 5,145 sold.)

Plus a bunch of other stuff, but far less seriously.

Steve B
Old 06-12-2012, 11:27 PM
edward broeth

Quote:
Morning,

YeeHah !!!

Neil

hey neil, what is your faveorite of the old science fiction books?

looking for 1952 topps high series commons
Old 06-12-2012, 11:28 PM
edward broeth

i collect anything related to Theodore Roosevelt!!! and books mostly recent signed fantasy and science fiction

looking for 1952 topps high series commons
Old 06-14-2012, 12:02 PM

Default Science Fiction Paperbacks..........................

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderbroeth View Post
hey neil, what is your faveorite of the old science fiction books?
Morning,

I would guess my Favorite's are copies of Edgar Rice Burroughs 1st Print Paperbacks from the 1920's/30's. Although I have some of the same books in the Original Hardbacks from 1909 to late 1930's, three with original Dust Jackets (1920 The Land That Time Forgot Value $3000.00 and 1916 The Lost Continent (originally Beyond Thirty) Value $2000, and 1914 The Eternal Savage (Originally The Eternal Lover), A Tarzan Book, Value $3000)

I have always loved the Burroughs books because they bring back memories of my Father taking me to the local Book Store when I was 8 to 12 and buying me handfulls of the Ace editions of these books. I read voraciouisly and could knock down 10-12 books a week, in fact still do.

I am also very Partial to Robert Heinlein 1st Print Paperbacks from the 40's-early 60's, same reason, I lived for the Next Heinlein Book as an adolescent as he opened the World to me not just about Sci-Fi but about People as I think to this day his characters are some of the most well developed in all of Sci-Fi history.

One of my Dream aquisitions would be a High Grade 1914 First Edition copy of Tarzan of the Apes with Dust Jacket. But then again that will never happen as I don't have $25-50K that it would take. The only reason I have the three very valuable Hardbacks of his was just dumb luck twice. One time I was selling comics at a show in Denver, a very big Collectibles show, in down time I walked around checking out other stuff and found two at a table from some guys aunts house estate sale, he didn't know what he had, and I wasn't telling him, got them both for $50 bucks. The third I found on E-bay for $175.00, had it appraised for Insurance at $3000-$5000.

Neil
Old 06-14-2012, 12:12 PM

Default This Years National

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Collecting ex-wives sounds expensive Neil. I hope you and your son can make the dinner again this year at the National.
Hey Leon,

Thanks for the invite, had planned to be there this year but financially just can't swing it. Like everybody else have not had a raise in 4 years now and my Health care costs have gone up in the last 5 years of 10%, 13%, 30%, 17%, and this year 29%. With HC costs factored in I am now taking home less money then I did when I was in my 20's, am now 55 and am realizing my dreams of retirement are probably not going to happen!!

I make three times what my father did as an Attorney, and I barely make it by, much less security than he ever had.

I have been selling off collectibles for the last 3-5 years to maintain our life and have had to have the internal discussion too many times now of how much do I really want this !!!

Neil
Old 06-14-2012, 01:07 PM
CPAMike

Quote:
Hey Leon,

Thanks for the invite, had planned to be there this year but financially just can't swing it. Like everybody else have not had a raise in 4 years now and my Health care costs have gone up in the last 5 years of 10%, 13%, 30%, 17%, and this year 29%. With HC costs factored in I am now taking home less money then I did when I was in my 20's, am now 55 and am realizing my dreams of retirement are probably not going to happen!!

I make three times what my father did as an Attorney, and I barely make it by, much less security than he ever had.

I have been selling off collectibles for the last 3-5 years to maintain our life and have had to have the internal discussion too many times now of how much do I really want this !!!

Neil
Hello Neil,

Sorry to hear you won't be at the National as I would have liked to meet you finally. Hopefully, things will turn around for everyone soon and we'll all go have a beer.

As far as the OP's question, I really don't collect anything but unopened baseball packs these days. Don't have enough disposable money to afford to collect anything else.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Belltown Vintage

Wow, you guys really collect a lot of weird shlt.

I collect old hats and Edward Curtis photographs. See, I'm the most normal.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:57 PM
Manny
Banned

I'm always looking for items that are related to Science or the Universe.

Einstein, Newton, Darwin, NASA...

I also collect vintage space cards.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:14 PM

I'm a longtime fan of fashion photographs and science Nobel prize winner autographs.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Jeff

Default Yes..................

I am a fairly voracious Caped Crusader Collector as well.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 06-21-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:15 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Comic books drawn and written by my father.

Also, here's baseball related cartoon he worked on about 50 years ago. You'll have to scroll down a bit:

http://irvspector.blogspot.com/2010/...-in-their.html
Old 06-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Besides cards of various persuasions, I collect Academy Awards tickets and related materials:

Boxer-issued promotional and publicity photos:

Comedian autographs:
Groucho Marx:

Woodie Allen [endorsed check]:

Bennie Hill:

Sam Kinison:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-30-2012, 06:42 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I collect postcards of notable buildings, people and events from the Cleveland area. It started as just sports related postcards(arenas and stadiums), but eventually expanded to include anything of historical significance.

For now, I'll just post a few pics of some of the sports related ones..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Postcard 1910 Ball Game in Brookside Park.jpg (56.6 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg Postcard Baseball at Brookside Park.jpg (20.5 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg Postcard 1935 cleveland municipal.jpg (20.5 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg Postcard Elysium 1.jpg (19.0 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg Postcard Elysium 2.jpg (19.8 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg Postcard Luna Park.jpg (68.7 KB, 347 views)
Old 07-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Richard Simon

Presidential documents of Presidents I think were good ones.
JFK memorabilia and autographs.
Autographs of significant people in American life that I admired - Mark Twain, Edward R Murrow, Clarence Darrow.
Autographs of a few in the music and entertainment field that I am a fan of.
Stereoview cards.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 07-01-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:58 AM
octavio ranzola

Default hi

I collect antiques, vintage toys, Disney stuff,live at auctions and estate sales and my girl approves,also black Americans,but I'm a type collector at heart,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20120701_105611.jpg (70.1 KB, 340 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20120701_105557.jpg (68.6 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20120701_105622.jpg (70.0 KB, 341 views)
Old 08-29-2012, 10:20 AM

Besides Vintage Original Baseball Photography... I'm terminal with that incurable disease they call Beatlemania.

1968YellowSubLunchbox-2.jpg1968-ALARM-CLOCK-1.jpg

Beatles1964PressPackage1.jpgBeatles-Topps-Empty-Case-Box-3.jpg

BeatlesGuitar-1.jpg
Old 08-30-2012, 08:45 AM
Belltown Vintage

Jimmy, back in the '80s a fire started on the balcony of the apartment next to my next-door neighbor's place (huge Beatles collector). He ran over and told me to get out and we both met in the hallway. The funny thing was, we each had a box full of our Beatle's stuff and virtually nothing else.

Taught us what was important
Old 09-05-2012, 07:20 AM
Jay Shelton

Besides baseball cards, I collect Battlestar Galactica cards (original series only), comics, books, etc. Also have a large collection of entertainment autographs (8x10 b&w preferred), mostly stars from the 1940s-70s, including a large collection of Andy Griffith Show, Battlestar Galactica (original series), and Planet of the Apes signatures.

I collect Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators books (just finished up the collection last year, now upgrading), early edition (white spine dust jacket) Nancy Drew books, Mego figures, and 1960s-70 GI Joes.

On the Sports side, I collect 1975-84 San Diego Padres game-used jerseys and bats, cards, ticket stubs, team-issued postcards, large-sized San Diego Tribune team photos,yearbooks, press guides, programs, etc. I also have a growing library of the NFL Punt, Pass, and Kick Random House hard cover books.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Jimmy, back in the '80s a fire started on the balcony of the apartment next to my next-door neighbor's place (huge Beatles collector). He ran over and told me to get out and we both met in the hallway. The funny thing was, we each had a box full of our Beatle's stuff and virtually nothing else.

Taught us what was important
That's a great story, Scott! Glad you guys had your priorities in order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post
Besides baseball cards, I collect Battlestar Galactica cards (original series only), comics, books, etc. Also have a large collection of entertainment autographs (8x10 b&w preferred), mostly stars from the 1940s-70s, including a large collection of Andy Griffith Show, Battlestar Galactica (original series), and Planet of the Apes signatures.

I collect Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators books (just finished up the collection last year, now upgrading), early edition (white spine dust jacket) Nancy Drew books, Mego figures, and 1960s-70 GI Joes.

On the Sports side, I collect 1975-84 San Diego Padres game-used jerseys and bats, cards, ticket stubs, team-issued postcards, large-sized San Diego Tribune team photos,yearbooks, press guides, programs, etc. I also have a growing library of the NFL Punt, Pass, and Kick Random House hard cover books.
And Jay... that's incredible! How in the hell do you keep track of it all? My head is still spinning.

True story that happened last night. I was reorganizing my Beatles stuff, and getting most everything protected and into those huge heavy duty blue double zip lock bags. And I come across a double cardboard secured 8x10 top loader. I hadn't labeled the outside so I had to open it too see what it was.

What I opened it, I found a 1969 TYPE 1 photo of The Beatles rooftop (Apple building) concert! Which was of course, their last live performance, ever! Now I vaguely remember buying this, and really have no idea who I bought it from. I also can't find a saved scan from when I bought it. I'm pretty sure it was in the last couple years.

The image is a cool candid shot by someone from above. They were already on the roof, so he must have had wings or a ladder.

I'll post it once I take a photo.

So Jay... when I say that it's incredible how you can juggle all that what you collect... I really mean it!

Last edited by thekingofclout; 09-06-2012 at 04:54 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:03 AM
Jay Shelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
That's a great story, Scott! Glad you guys had your priorities in order.

And Jay... that's incredible! How in the hell do you keep track of it all? My head is still spinning.

So Jay... when I say that it's incredible how you can juggle all that what you collect... I really mean it!

Thanks for the kind words. I've downsized quite a bit over the past 10 years. I've gone from about 45 1960-70s era 12" GI Joes down to 4, and sold off all but 1 box of my comics; keeping only the ones that still "mean" something to me. I've also downsized my baseball card collection quite a bit, selling off all my Topps/Fleer/Donruss sets from the 1960s-early 80s and keeping only Topps 1976-79 sets, and focusing on Padres team sets from 1973-75, 1980-84.

True story, hopefully appreciated by any book collectors. Any time I go into a Half Price book store, I go immediately to the "Nostalgia" section and look at the children's books. I scored a first edition Three Investigators #1 Secret of Terror Castle for $4 in pretty nice shape. Only the first editions had the sewn in text block and print error on page 67.

Pays to search, sometimes.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Murr the Blurr

In addition to boxing cards and memorabilia, I collect items from the late, great World Hockey Association ... and the U.S. presidential campaigns of George Wallace (1964-68-72-76).
Old 09-12-2012, 08:21 AM

Other than vintage and modern cards and memorabilia, I collect vintage and modern vinyl records.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:06 PM
tony

Yup sure do. Now where to start. First edition biographies of military personel. 100 year old hand made marbles.1960s British Thunderbird stuff. Non sports cards antique wood burning stoves.tickets from events I have attended. QPR football cards. And the list goes on
Old 09-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39special View Post
drag racing
I have a scanned a Polaroid of Houston Platt as he lost control of his funny car in Covington, Ga in 1969. I took the pic myself but have never done anything with it.

I'm really a pack rat/hoarder.
As a teenager I collected coins, current and V nickles, large cents, three cent pieces, etc, and stamps. I recently gave most to my son.
I have a small collection of vintage Tootsie Toy die casts, wood softball bats and enjoy framing pics ;and autographs of cowboys stars of the 50's and 60's.
I also have quite a few Vanity Fair and botanical prints.
You can imagine what my wife said when I told her that I would like to get into baseball cards again.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:38 PM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceinGa View Post
I have a scanned a Polaroid of Houston Platt as he lost control of his funny car in Covington, Ga in 1969. I took the pic myself but have never done anything with it.

I'm really a pack rat/hoarder.
As a teenager I collected coins, current and V nickles, large cents, three cent pieces, etc, and stamps. I recently gave most to my son.
I have a small collection of vintage Tootsie Toy die casts, wood softball bats and enjoy framing pics ;and autographs of cowboys stars of the 50's and 60's.
I also have quite a few Vanity Fair and botanical prints.
You can imagine what my wife said when I told her that I would like to get into baseball cards again.
I'd like to see that Platt picture!
Old 09-25-2012, 08:35 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
I'd like to see that Platt picture!

Last edited by BruceinGa; 09-25-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:49 PM
Doug C.

I collect vintage Nintendo, Super Nintendo and Game Boy games. It's fun to be able to play all of the great games that I enjoyed as a kid all over again and still find others that I never played before.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:47 AM
Rob Anderson

Crazy. Safety doesn't appear to be a big factor back on the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceinGa View Post
Old 12-13-2012, 11:33 AM
Belltown Vintage

Recently added five items to my western hat collection, including top one from ebay, and the following three from the recent Heritage auction:

Old 12-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Bruce Esser

Does it count that things you bought when young to use are now considered to be collectible. Didn't set out to have them as a collection. Acquired my uncle's set of wood planes, originally from our great grandfather who brought them from Germany. He knew I built furniture for fun and gave them to me when he retired. Used them for years when making various moldings. Now they have more value as a collectors item. Who knew that corn shuckers, grain grinders and manure spreaders would become collectible.

In the 50's I built model cars and collected baseball cards. Mom threw the baseball cards away but the 100's of old model cars (honestly I am going to build them someday) still sit in the storage room. 100's of car magazines from the 1950's.

http://www.nebaseballhistory.com/
Old 12-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

Is anyone into comic books? Or let me refrain that is anyone looking for some comic books??

I tried to find a passion for them back in the late 80's but it never caught on. I ended up buying them and putting them straight into bags w/ boards the second I purchased them and they have been sitting ever since. They have never even had the covers turned.

if anyone is interested, shoot me a p.m.

I dont think i have anything of tremendous value .... but the conditions are perfect.

Those hats are really stylish Scott.... I like 'em.

Last edited by sdkammeyer; 12-21-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:57 AM
Bill Boyd

Default other stuff, collectibles

Quote:
Car stuff.Books,parts,pictures,drag racing programs from the '50's and '60s Hot Rod mags.from the same period.The upstairs of my garage is filled
with high performance car parts.I also have a couple of cars.
Special,
I still have a few of my drag race albums from the 60s, places like Bakersfield, Calif., and a couple of others. The sounds of drag racing.
Not sure what to do with them.
billyb