NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-18-2004, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Default Probably not, but........

Posted By: ramram 

This daguerreotype (which would make it c. 1850's) was recently sold on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3292140528) and probably is a rowing team but can leave one wondering.......could it be base ball????

Old 06-18-2004, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy Leiderman

No it isn't

Old 06-18-2004, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! This is supposed to be thought provoking. My basis is that this type of dag, based on the hand coloring and mat, would date around the early to mid 1850's. Of the few baseball dags and ambrotypes (which followed dags and were mostly from the lated 1850's to around 1860) that have surfaced, the players were wearing similar patriotic parade uniforms (two of these were in Rucker's auction, I'll have to dig them up and scan them). Also, photos and info from the Knickerbockers indicate that they wore straw hats during the 1840's to 1850's.
P.S. Don't go trying to tell me Santa Claus ain't real either!

Old 06-18-2004, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Two other known and identified early baseball images (one a dag and the other an ambro). Although uncolored these are likely patriotic colored parade uniforms as well along with lots of stars.

Old 06-18-2004, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob L

I blew up the one of the bibs with Photoshop and it appears to be crossed oars. The increased thickness at the end looks more like the shape of an oar than a tapered baseball bat.

Old 06-18-2004, 03:44 PM
Administrator

The transition doesn't look gradual enough for a bat does it.

Old 06-18-2004, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Hey Rob, it appears that it thickens too much at the end. Too bad, it is an awesome image, baseball or not.

Rob L

Old 06-18-2004, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Anyway, I can think of a lot of better ways to spend $16,000. Let's see, I could have about 15 torn-out pages from a Harry Wright scorebook or own 0.13% of the copyright of a reproduction poster of the 1895 National League Captains or one corner of a T-206 Wagner or.........

Old 06-18-2004, 04:05 PM
Administrator

going for $61.5K now. Could make a nice downpayment with the $16K.

Old 06-18-2004, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy Leiderman

Good one Rob.

Have to agree that the ebay dag is a beautiful image.

Since we're talking 19th C. baseball imagery, check this one out:

1876 Lincoln BBC (?)
Cabinet card photograph taken in Bonn, Germany (?)

Rob, can you post closer scans of those gorgeous '69 Kearsarge cabinets you recently won?

Old 06-18-2004, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Great image. What would those guys have been doing in Germany as a team?? I would only think a professional team would have the $$ to travel and play there.
With regard to the Kearsarge cabinets, I haven't got around to scanning them yet but will try to do that soon.

Old 06-18-2004, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

In keeping with this thread, I bought this ebay item with the seller indicating it was an early baseball item. I had my doubts, but it was a nice Christmas present for Jennifer, who likes baseball (http://www.ettinger.ca) but on receipt of the present, immediately pointed out that she also likes rowing too. (At least she knew [unlike her husband] there are "4" on certain rowing crews and it wasn't Eddie Plank's or Frank Baker's locket)

Max

Old 06-19-2004, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

The rule for baseball Daguerreotypes, ambrotypes and tintypes is simple. If it's 100 percent clear the image is baseball (baseball, bat, catchers mask, other, known baseball player) it has the most financial value in the baseball genre. If it's not 100 percent clear, it doesn't.

Old 06-21-2004, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

To date there has never been a baseball dag found that shows equipment such as a bat and ball. The half plate dag of Alexander Cartwright is almost certainly a photo of some of his fellow Knicks, but no equipment shows and a few of the men pictured have not yet been identified. The other known Cartwright dags were taken in Hawaii in a non-baseball context. The image shown of two Excelsiors, one of whom appears to be Pearsall, has never been identified with certainty. Nothing else has even come close. Had this image of five gentleman been proven to be baseball, holding the two flags, one which certainly is the team flag, you would probably be looking at the most valuable known baseball photo, easily worth 150-200K. Baseball or not, it is aesthetically a masterpiece. What a find!