NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Default New Poll

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Here's an idea regarding the forum's polling function.

I was talking to a friend of mine and we were getting a little bored of the current poll (I like the Benny card).

What about putting two cards head to head every so often. Let the poll go for about a week or two and see which comes up the winner. The poll criteria could be modified. For example if a NrMt example of an E90-1 Jackson couldn't be found then the poll criteria could say a NrMt example of the card rather than a VG scan of the card that may be posted.

My vote for the first head to head competition would be an N172 Anson in uniform VS the T206 Wagner. Both cards in VG condition.

It's just a thought - non response would probably mean that it's not too good of an idea.

Old 10-07-2005, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Default New Poll

Posted By: Josh K.

I like it.

Old 10-07-2005, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Default New Poll

Posted By: Mike Campbell

Sounds good....lets do it.

Old 10-07-2005, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Default New Poll

Posted By: Daniel Bretta

Let's have a playoff!!!!!

Old 10-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Default New Poll

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

I thought about the idea of a playoff, but to be honest, i don't think there is a lot of fun in that... the classic cards are the classic cards ... ya know..it's not like imagining a playoff of the 64 single greatest teams or something like that b/c people compare the t206 wagner to the other hobby greats.

Regards,

Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

email me

* I'm smart enough to know that there are a lot of people who know more than I do.

Old 10-07-2005, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Default New Poll

Posted By: leon

We're listening. We like polls and I don't mind folks throwing out ideas for one. A head to head card competition could be ok. Anymore thoughts? If we went this route maybe it would need to be "like" series ie...19th century, 20th century tobacco, caramels etc....or....maybe not....

Old 10-08-2005, 05:32 AM
Administrator

Default New Poll

Posted By: barrysloate

What's the gist of the Anson vs. Wagner poll? Which is rarer? Which is more valuable? Which one would you rather own? I say you guys take whichever one you want, and I'll take whichever one is left over.

Old 10-08-2005, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Default New Poll

Barry, you know which one is more rare and you're right, I'd take either one that was left over.

If I had my choice I'd take the Anson because a Wagner T206 could be had for a price. The Anson in uniform may never come up for auction again and may never be available (to the public) in my lifetime. I'm figuring that the people that have this card understand the significance of the card. The same arguement could be made for any low population card.

I just picked the most famous card (T206 Wagner) and pit it against a relative underdog (N172 Anson in uniform) because I'm curious to see how many people would select the Wagner over the Anson.

By the way, which one would you pick (and why, if you'd care to answer).

Old 10-08-2005, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Default New Poll

I think the only way we will see another Anson in uniform at auction is if a new one is discovered. I don't think any of the three current owners will ever sell unless they decide to part with their entire collections, and since I know all three owners well, I'm not holding my breath. The T206 Wagner, on the other hand, has become among the more common rarities in the hobby, with examples showing up with great regularity. There is yet another one in the December Mastronet sale. But there will never be a shortage of buyers for it. If both were in the same auction in VG condition, I think pricewise it would be pretty close and I'm not sure which would go higher. We can peg a VG Wagner around 250K, the Anson is an unknown quantity.

Old 10-08-2005, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Default New Poll

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Barry: Be sure to let all 3 owners know that they should sell BEFORE they die... and more specifically... they should sell to ME so that there cards are treated with respect!

Old 10-08-2005, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Default New Poll

You want all three of them to sell to you? One to keep, two for trade purposes. Not a bad position to be in. All are relatively young and healthy, so you might need to show consummate patience.

Old 10-08-2005, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Default New Poll

...or we could have more down to earth polls and pit an SGC20 T205 Cobb against an SGC20 E90-1 Wagner. I guess that could put things in perspective for most of us poor folks...

I'd still like to pit the T206 Wagner against the N172 Anson in uniform... just for the heck of it... consider it a fantasy poll...

Old 10-08-2005, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Default New Poll

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

Why not do a poll where there are 5 cards listed T206 Wagner, N172 Anson in uniform, T5 Joe Jackson, 4 base hit Kelly, and some other card and let everyone decide which they would like to have more.

Old 10-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Default New Poll

Posted By: warshawlaw

Benny isn't boxing, he's doing the Macarena

Old 10-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Default New Poll

Nice idea. The Jackson card would be great but I would take him out and have the 5 cards be: N172 Anson in uniform, Just So Cy Young, T206 Wagner, N690 Four Base Hits Kelly, and 1914 Baltimore News Ruth.....and let everyone put them in their most to least (there is no least in this list)wanted. That would be a tough list....and for the sake of argument say that all of them are worth the same amount, which could be any number...but all values are equal. Just a thought.....

edited for spelling

Old 10-08-2005, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Default New Poll

My response hasn't changed even with Leon's list- you guys take the four you like best and I'll take the poor guy left over. But probably the best of Leon's five is the Just So Young, since it is the only one of the group that to date is unique.

Old 10-08-2005, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Default New Poll

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Sounds good to me. The other one was a few weeks old anyway and I think the Benny was the clear favorite here. The new poll for "Most desireable card" is up and ready.

Hope nobody minds if I borrow a few scans to provide some visual aids for the poll. If anyone happens to have scans of the n172 Anson or Just So Young, let me know and I'll add them as well.

Old 10-08-2005, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Default New Poll

Posted By: Chris Bland

here ya go

Old 10-08-2005, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Default New Poll

Posted By: Jay Miller

Why not set up a bracket of say 16 cards(like a mini NCAA Tournament bracket) and have one on one competitions where only one card would move on until there is a champion? You could do one match a week for 15 weeks until there was a winner. If you wanted to do only 8 cards it would take 7 weeks. I'm sure we all have our own preferences but my 8 card tournament would consist of the following in no particular order:

1-T206 Wagner(many copies)
2-Baltimore News Ruth(handfull of copies)
3-N172 Anson in Uniform(four copies)
4-Kalamazoo Bats Ewing(unique)
5-Four Base Hits Kelly(two copies)
6-Just So Young(unique)
7-T210 Jackson(handfull of copies)
8-G&B Spaulding(unique)

Old 10-09-2005, 12:37 AM
Administrator

Default New Poll

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

Where the hell is the t210 Jax! Brian and Leon - you two should be ashamed of yourselves... add my card or i will taunt you or something...

Regards,

Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

email me

Old 10-09-2005, 02:14 AM
Administrator

Default New Poll

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 10-09-2005, 05:43 AM
Administrator

Default New Poll

How come when people talk about the rarest cards of all time the U.S. Caramel Lindy Lindstrom is never even on the radar? Only two are known, and one of the copies is cancelled making only a single undamaged example extant. Since I had the privilege to auction that copy, I feel I should be its biggest supporter. P.S. If you need a picture of the Just So Young, there's reason alone to buy Stephen Wong's book.

Old 10-09-2005, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Default New Poll

We just threw this together for fun. Of course there could be 5 different cards that could be in there. It wasn't about the rarest card as I am positive we could have found 5 unique cards to poll. Jay's idea is good maybe we could do that next. As for the US Caramel Linstrom that card never really has brought the notoriety of the others, imho. Not that it's not valuable or rare but just hasn't. Maybe it's because that set isn't that exciting? Still a neat set but look at the other cards being polled. I'm not sure it's in the same league. This is an argument with no right or wrong answer. It's just a poll. Let's do this one for a week or two then we can do another. At least it's better than going at each others throats (although some will find arguing a bit entertaining).....regards all

Old 10-09-2005, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Default New Poll

I'm sure that part of my attachment to the Lindstrom was that from the time I received it until the day I shipped it out, I had it in my possession for several months. As such, I became a little attached to it. I know it doesn't have the cache of the other cards on the list but it holds a special place in my persoanl history.