NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-19-2017, 08:20 PM
Banned

Default If you sell cards on eBay how do you decide between auction or fixed price?

If you sell cards on eBay how do you decide between auction or fixed price?
Old 08-19-2017, 08:26 PM
De.rek Gre.nce

I always do buy it now OBO. That way I'm never unhappy with the selling price...
Old 08-19-2017, 08:30 PM
Dave_Berg

I .99 cent auction everything. I figure what it goes for is what it's worth.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:47 PM

If you need to sell an item, do auction, no reserve...if you have an item that you'd like to test the waters, but don't really need to sell, then do a BIN with a robust price.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:53 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
I .99 cent auction everything. I figure what it goes for is what it's worth.

I start mine at 99 cents with free shipping (since ebay started taking part of that too) and trusting the market...actually hoping for a 'feeding frenzy'.

I only use BIN if I want to make sure I don't loose any money.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-19-2017, 08:58 PM

Does anyone know if eBay is still automatically relisting fixed price items?
Old 08-19-2017, 09:00 PM
Rob

Auctions are dead. Extinct. When I see an auction listing I salivate. If you want to maximize your sell price, don't do auction. I do buy it now with best offer option. You can set to automatically relist. I do 30 day listings.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:02 PM
Jeff Lazarus

I use auctions for items that are mainstream enough that I expect people will be searching for them and it won't get overlooked. For more obscure pieces I do a BIN.

I believe that there are many people who will pay more in auction because of the reassurance that their max bid will always be only 1 increment over the second highest bid (which is the science behind the auction approach that nowadays has become almost standard) but won't risk an unusual item getting overlooked.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:52 AM
C0le Hibb@rd

I always do BIO with the Best Offer option unless I need the money fast- then I try to pick cards that I won't care as much about letting go

Successful BST deals with: Smanzari, Edwolf1963, Sean1125, scmavl, Runscott, jthorst75, EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
Old 08-20-2017, 10:13 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

It's not an either/or. You can start with a sale, then later switch it to auction. Many big sellers have tons of stuff up for sale, then have a weekly or whatever auction of some stuff.

Last edited by drcy; 08-20-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:43 PM
Paul

I just sold off about 300 T206 cards in 20 card bursts over the past week or two on ebay. I did almost every one as a 1-day auction with a .99 cent starting price. The amount of attention was more than sufficient. I did pretty well. I do think I may have done slightly better with the 3-day auction format.

I don't like going more than 3 days because people forget about listings. They get the email in the morning that there is a listing. They check it out and realize it ends in a few hours, and they get to thinking. I like to find the buyers and keep them interested in bidding on the same day.

I often do better with the auction format than I was even asking for in the BIN format. E.g., a $200 BIN that doesn't sell will sometimes sell for $225 or $250. I think BINs get ignored, even if they're reasonable.

Edited to note: This works for T206s because there are SO many collectors. If you're talking about a rare item, you may take a different approach.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 08-20-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:33 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
I just sold off about 300 T206 cards in 20 card bursts over the past week or two on ebay. I did almost every one as a 1-day auction with a .99 cent starting price. The amount of attention was more than sufficient. I did pretty well. I do think I may have done slightly better with the 3-day auction format.

I don't like going more than 3 days because people forget about listings. They get the email in the morning that there is a listing. They check it out and realize it ends in a few hours, and they get to thinking. I like to find the buyers and keep them interested in bidding on the same day.

I often do better with the auction format than I was even asking for in the BIN format. E.g., a $200 BIN that doesn't sell will sometimes sell for $225 or $250. I think BINs get ignored, even if they're reasonable.

Edited to note: This works for T206s because there are SO many collectors. If you're talking about a rare item, you may take a different approach.
I once had a E98 Cobb ( ratty) up on a .99 cent auction or BIN of $800. It sold via the auction at $820- go figure
Old 08-20-2017, 07:12 PM
Archive

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsFan View Post
If you sell cards on eBay how do you decide between auction or fixed price?
Depends on the individual card, whether it's a modern card or vintage.

Quite a few factors to consider on selling vintage cards on Ebay.

Modern cards can be completely different since most sellers fail to look at sold listings and don't understand that they are setting the market price. I don't sell much in the way of vintage on Ebay, but on modern cards, I always start them in a bid style auction at an opening bid I'm willing to accept or I do a Buy it Now/Best Offer. I've learned over years that I will never start an auction at .99 cents.

So to answer your question, I take into consideration the individual card and the factors that apply to it.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:01 PM
Rob

Quote:
I once had a E98 Cobb ( ratty) up on a .99 cent auction or BIN of $800. It sold via the auction at $820- go figure
You must've had a reserve on the card.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:25 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
You must've had a reserve on the card.
Nope
Old 08-21-2017, 06:19 AM
Paul

Quote:
Nope
Yeah, I think we take for granted that the market is aware of all of its options. Like when an item sells for more at Heritage than the BIN price of the same card on eBay.

Same thing happens to me here when I list something on BST that doesn't sell. Put it on the auction thread here and watch it sell for more. Doesn't always happen, but happens enough that you shake your head.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-21-2017, 06:25 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
It's not an either/or. You can start with a sale, then later switch it to auction. Many big sellers have tons of stuff up for sale, then have a weekly or whatever auction of some stuff.
I love this...try to mix it up.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:52 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

This is how I run my sports memorabilia side of the business on eBay. I try auctions first at an opening price I would be OK with if it sold. If it does not sell at auction, I put it in my store at a retail-ish price but with the Best Offer option. This strategy is fine if you don't need to sell anything immediately and have the patience to wait for a sale.

Jeff
Old 08-21-2017, 08:40 AM
Banned

Thanks for all the responses!
Old 08-21-2017, 03:14 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

In my eBay store I usually start items as $6.99 auctions. If they don't sell after a few rounds, I will usually set them as fixed price sales at the minimum. I won't do that with something expensive or rare; those usually are set at fixed price sales.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-22-2017, 07:47 PM
John

This 7 day auction has less than 20 hours to go. Started at $.99, there it sits at $2.25. This is a painful selling experience. These things tend to sell for $50 to $150. So much for auctions. Predictions?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...UAAOSwT75ZlI1L
Old 08-22-2017, 07:49 PM
pete ullman

now its 6.50!
Old 08-22-2017, 08:01 PM
John

I'm feeling better now.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:15 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
This 7 day auction has less than 20 hours to go. Started at $.99, there it sits at $2.25. This is a painful selling experience. These things tend to sell for $50 to $150. So much for auctions. Predictions?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...UAAOSwT75ZlI1L
Like I said...The auction format on Ebay is all but dead. When I see an auction listing, I know there's a good chance I'm getting a bargain. That said...the real bidding won't occur until the final 30 seconds.