NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-27-2006, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Default 1932 Cubs Team issue small cards - revisited ?

Posted By: leon

I can't believe I am posting this kind of subject this early in the morning...but what the heck. Recently I picked up another of the 1932 Chicago Team issue cards, now in the Big SCD. This one is on different stock than the first one I got though. One (the whiter of the two) is on stock that is like an E120 and the other is on thick cardboard stock. I know at least 1-2 board members have one so what kind of stock are those on, and has anyone else seen any, and if so, what kind of stock are those on? I am fairly positive both of these are good cards....

Old 05-27-2006, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Manos

I saw that on the B/S/T a few weeks back. They are very tough cards and on all type collectors lists. Alot of times collector's get confused with the 1932 Cubs Team issue that are 6x8 or so, that are brown with the same photos(ie.. standing on a cloud if you will)They are very valuable in my book and extremely tough to come buy. Nice pick-up.

Old 05-27-2006, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Leon, do you have a checklist? Looks like I may have add cards to my want list

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home, I would be arrested. So, I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 05-27-2006, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

I have Grimm, Gudat, Hack, Hemsley, May, and Tinning. The scan also shows a back. All mine have the same cardboard backing. Haven't seen one like Leon's - then again, haven't seen many at all. The '05 SCD only had 5 players. Don't know if more are out there. Wouldn't be unreasonable to think there could be a card for each player that corresponds to the '32 Cubs Picture Pack.

Old 05-27-2006, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Yours look like the thicker cardboard back....I was sort of thinking it was going to be the other way around, where the majority would be the thinner, white looking, stock. Here's the back of my Hemsley....

Old 06-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric

Hey Leon~

I haven't been visiting the board much lately..so I just saw this thread. You can see my example here:

http://www.freewebs.com/goudeyhunter/uncatalogedcards.htm

The cardboard stock on mine is pretty thick, like that of an E121. The frontside was probably pure white at one time, but it's pretty soiled and creased..and also has staining on it (this poor card was abused!) If you need any other info..let me know. I didn't see a respoonse here from Tim Newcomb..and I'd consider him the primary source of solid information on this issue. He's owned some of these cards for quite awhile..and long before any of the rest of us got our meathooks on them. Glen also has the set..and some good insights.

E.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:03 AM
Administrator

As for the heavier card stock I am talking heavy "cardboard" when I say thicker. The thinner of the 2 I have is on the E121 type cardstock.

On a different subject (I can hijack the thread as I started it ) I now think that there is a chance those Dimaggio transfers might have come in Cracker Jacks. The other day I saw one that was similar and had the Cracker Jack insignia and wording on it. It was a generic player, I think, but looked like our transfers somewhat....the one thing that doesn't jive is the size...they might have had to come in those giant boxes of CJ's...and I don't know when those came out....regards

Old 06-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric

LL..

Sometime last year, a collector emailed me after seeing the DiMaggio transfer on my site. He said that he had just bought two full sheets of originals, and wanted to pass along the information he had. I thought I saved the scan somewhere that he sent me..I'll email it over if I can track it down. Anyways, the full sheet had ten transfers on it, and was pretty large. This page of transfers was also stapled to a cardboard backing by a single staple..probably to protect the delicate transfers. The page this collector had included the DiMaggio, along with a football player that was supposed to resemble Bronco Nagurski, also generic images of a tiger, a cowboy and a pirate. I can't remember what else was on there..but the others were generic images too. Although this collector had no idea who produced the set, he was advised by someone else that it was produced by Leaf in 1948. I don't know anything about that set, so I can't speculate as to whether or not there's any validity to this. Given the size of the sheet he sent me a scan of though, the only way it could have been affiliated with Cracker jack would have been through some kind of mail redemption or store pick-up offer I would think. They weren't bent..so they obviously weren't distributed in a packaged box of CJ's. I've seen other labelled baseball players aside from DiMaggio..so there was more than one sheet produced. A lot on Ebay last year included a good 6-8 different transfers, strictly confined to baseball players..it stands to reason that many different sheets could have been made. Anyways..that's the dope I've got..

E.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Leon, thanks for hijacking your own thread with the transfer news. I am the collector that solicited information regarding these transfers (Dimmaggio, football player, etc.). I ended up selling all of the transfers I had to a handful of small, vintage east coast dealers. I parcelled 6 of the sets together and sold them for approximately 250.00/set, for all 6. The remaining sets sold at about 300.00/set. Since my sale, I saw one of the sets on Ebay, and I bid on it up to 100.00. I believe it sold for the next incremental bid (102 or 105). I believe these could be worth more, but because they are not catalogued, people are not that aware of the issue. Right now, the only pricing data I have seen for these consists of the 6 transfer set on Ebay (102.00ish for all 6), and the one you have, plus the one on the Goudey collector's site (if I remember correctly you each paid less than 30.00 for the Dimmagio alone). I am more of a flipper than a collector (I do collect prewar, but I really enjoy making a profit when I can), so after posting here and doing what research I could (there is a mention of the transfers in the 1990 nonsports priceguide, but I forget the title and author; The only mention of pricing is the non sports ones selling for 5.00each.), I chose to sell and try for more Flea Market finds (my specialty). In fact I have some more prewar oddities that I hope to post soon to solicit information concerning them (red matchbook of Christy Matthewson - might not be prewar, but will post when I have time; and a few other miscellaneous items). I really appreciate the depth of knowledge on this board and your willingness to provide information to anyone who asks. I am a constant lurker but try to post when there is a topic I have any knowledge of. Sorry for the long, kind of rambling post.
Alan