NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-09-2003, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry II

Posted By: leon

Ok Folks,
This is the first and final follow-up thread for the type registry. I appreciate everyone who offered their intelligent opinions on the last one. This particular thread is not for the folks that don't want a registry. This is the thread for the folks that want to share and compare with others through an SGC type registry. I can think of several type collectors that I would really enjoy sharing collections with. Maybe this will be the catalyst, maybe it won't. Can't hurt to try. Again, PLEASE folks do not post on this thread except for ways to help the registry proposal. I also know that follow up threads like this usually don't spark a lot of interest, or posts, and that is ok too. So far the best options are as follows:

1. 19th Century 1800's
2. Pre-WWI 1900-1917
3. Post WWI-Pre-WWII 1918-1941
4. T-cards
5. E-cards
6. HOF's of each set pre-'42

I do have a couple of questions right now, myself. Will an individual card be able to be used in more than one category? Will grade come into play in these categories ?...and a few others....

Sean, at SGC, and I will be talking in the next few days and see if we can put something together. Thanks again and best regards..

Old 01-09-2003, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

looks good to me except #6. Can you axplain that one a bit. Do you mean aone registry for all cards from HOFers from the time frame or do you mean a seperate registry for each set that only involves HOFers? I really like the t and e set registries. You could also add D and W sets too. Don't think there are too many in this area that fall into the R sets.

Jay

Old 01-10-2003, 05:51 AM
Administrator

Hey Jay,
Good question on #6. What I was meaning is a "master" type set. It is a little self serving as that is my ultimate goal (obviously unattainable but what the heck)....which is to have 1 HOF card from each set pre WWII.....so the set would be something like "PreWWII HOF master set" or something like that. Maybe even get more loose and skip it having to be an HOF. But then too that would be somewhat self serving. I can't imagine how often I will get a chance to upgrade my very nice common T208 Cullivans Fireside to an HOF of the same set. Good idea on W's (which I don't collect yet) and on D's, which I do collect.... regards all and thanks again....

Old 01-10-2003, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I'm building a collection of HOF'ers who played prior to WWI and after 1900 - it doesn't matter what set each example comes from, but I'm trying to obtain my favorite cards of each. It's kind of like Halleygator's collection, only more limited in time-frame. I know that others have similar collections - it would be very interesting to see what "types" they pick for each HOF'er.

Old 01-10-2003, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

What about for those collectors who just collect one player adding to the registry a "player/type collections" which would be one card from every set a particular player appears in BUT just the sets issued during their active playing days.

Maybe limit it to just HoF players?

Old 01-10-2003, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Hey guys and girls ...that are interested,
I spoke with Sean this morning for quite a while. He is going to talk to his programmers about doing an open ended registry.....no competition just good ole fun.....so for instance I could have my collection be "Leon's type collection" Pete could potentially have his...."Pete's caramel collection"...and Scott could have "Scott's HOF collection" etc....and Adam and Jay and Andy....could keep theirs stashed away for no one to see....(although your website is great Andy, I was just making a point that no one is forcing anyone to do anything and there is no downside in that respect....it costs no one anything)....regards all

Old 01-10-2003, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

I was never opposed to the Set Registry idea, I just didn't think that my collection would fit into any pre determined category. If what you are proposing actually happens, I may consider joining. Keep us posted.

Old 01-10-2003, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Hodes

Basically a registry that featured all HOFers from during their active days would encompass most (if not all) of the suggestions above. Sure Leon's Kelly card would be far more interesting than mine (which is "just" an old judge/color card) but we could both be listed their. Likewise, Runscott's cards could be there with whatever HOF card he thinks is most interesting (even if it is "just" a T206) as well as Andy's which are generally Rookies as I understand it.
Obviously, the competition aspect of this would be kinda silly since a Fan Craze 8/88 of Lajoie would be worth more in grading points than a Bresich Williams 5/40 of the same subject even though we all know that the Breisch-Williams example is exponentially more difficult.
Most of all all of these collections would be displayed together so that they can be "shared" which to me is one of the best reasons for such a collector-created set registry.

Old 01-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

SGC weights the cards based on desirability and rarity, so the B-W would have a higher weighting than Fan Craze card. It hurts you in over all grade beucase they a card with a rating of 8 and grade 50 would count as 8 cards grading 50, which is a stiff penalty, but the get your set superiority score moved up quiet a bit. Haven't seen how they figure that out yet, but would be interested in seeing the formula

Jay

Old 01-11-2003, 07:26 AM
Administrator

I couldn't care less if my collection is judged "#1", so the point value is irrelevant to me. But I think it would be really cool just to see what others are collecting, online - wish MW had included scans in his Hockey set.

Old 01-11-2003, 07:28 AM
Administrator

I'm collecting football cards of every player who played for Texas A&M (vintage of course). This could also apply to baseball, but you wouldn't find as many vintage cards.

Old 01-13-2003, 01:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

Scott --

I should have some images up for both the Hockey and 1937 OPC Baseball sets within a week or so.