NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Default Mastro Lot 661 - Bill Bergen, Batting - Blank Back

Posted By: Jon Canfield

I'm hoping the board can give me some insight as to Mastro's lot 661 which is advertised as a Bill Bergen, Batting - Blank Back T-206 with a very faint Hindu ghost print. For some reason, I can't figure out how this is a ghost print and just not a faded back.

If, for example, the printer was printing off sheets of Hindu backs, then the all the printed backs would be facing the same way. For illustrative purposes, imagine 10 black pieces of cardstock being fed into the press. The press prints 20 Hindu backs on the page and spits the cardstock out, the Hindu backs all facing up. The next sheet goes through and the Hindu backs are printed, the cardstock is shot out and the Hindu backs are all facing up and so on and so on. The sheets are then fed through the printing press that prints the fronts, etc etc etc. It seems to me the ghost back should be on the front of the card. Even if you reverse the process and the fronts are printed first, then the 10 sheets are flipped over and the back is printed, the "blank" back would not be in contact with the other backs to leave the ghost print / wet sheet transfer.

Am I thinking about this wrong? Just trying to figure out how a ghost print back facing the correct way gets on a blank-back card.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...With this one, too. I think it's a faded back. Maybe it was left in water or chemicals for a really long time. But it ain't blank -- there's something on it!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

http://www.t206collector.com

Old 06-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

In theory couldn't a double wet sheet transfer (ie a wet sheet transfer onto a new card from a previous wet sheet transfer) cause a very faint non-mirror image?

1) original card >>> 2) wet sheet transfer card (reverse image) >>> 3) a third card (faint non reverse image)

Old 06-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Anthony - maybe that could happen albeit I am unsure if a wetsheet could stay wet long enough for a transfer to a transfer. I just think that scenario is so remote, it is unlikely.

What I have a problem with is I believe this may be a relatively low-value faded Hindu backed card. However, Mastro is presenting it as a valuable blank-back with a ghost image (and a Hindu ghost to boot) without any clear way that I can see how their claim could be true.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

http://www.t206collector.com