Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Show your Tobacco, Candy, Gum, Bread, etc. advertisement pieces (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=179996)

Leon 09-27-2019 01:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Moustache, beard, whatever :) .....The Peerless on his uniform is most likely from Ratsch Peerless....Here is the bottom and a Ratsch postcard to boot...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1880nonsports (Post 1919165)
moustache cup and not shaving mug I believe..... Got pix of the bottom? What is the association to Ratsch - provenance?

3-2-count 11-02-2019 09:32 AM

Obak Cigarettes advertising is pretty tough to come buy. Very happy with this recent addition!

http://photos.imageevent.com/threetw...canvas%202.jpg

CobbSpikedMe 11-03-2019 04:05 PM

That's a beautiful Obak piece Tony. Amazing. Too bad there wasn't a card sticking out of the open pack. That would've been unreal. :D

3-2-count 11-03-2019 06:43 PM

Andy, thank you.....

bobfreedman 11-03-2019 07:15 PM

Ad

2 Attachment(s)
Tony, very nice addition to an already impressive collection. This is my latest pickup:

1880nonsports 11-03-2019 08:15 PM

if a card had been coming out of it

I would have kept bidding :-) Nice pickup. Same artist as the Arthurettes cigarettes signs. Very Manic!!

3-2-count 11-04-2019 06:22 AM

Bob, Henry - thank you for the props.

Bob, stunning piece. I bet it's even nicer in hand!

Rhotchkiss 11-04-2019 08:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is my only real advertising piece; at least I think it qualifies as an advertising piece.

tedzan 11-10-2019 04:02 PM

Show your Tobacco, Candy, Gum, Bread, etc. advertisement pieces

Hey guys,

I still remember Oct 3, 1951, the day Bobby Thomson's 3-run home run for the Giants in the 1951 Play-off game vs the Brooklyn Dodgers that won the NL pennant.
This famous HR was instantly coined the "Shot Heard 'Round the World".

That day my two buddies and I ran from school to my house and switched on the TV just in time when Thomson came to bat in the 9th inning. Lockman and Mueller
were on 2nd and 3rd bases, respectively. Thomson swung at Branca's 2nd pitch......and, the rest of this story is history.

I have come up with 2 "ironic" trivia facts regarding this legendary event. I'll give the 1st guy who replies with the correct 2 answers a T206 HOFer.

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...nBromoAdvX.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference

GasHouseGang 11-10-2019 04:36 PM

One trivia fact is Branca had lost the first game of the 3 game playoff and had given up a homer to Thompson in that game. The other ironic fact is Branca was wearing number 13 that year so he decided maybe it was unlucky and changed it the next year to number 12.

bobfreedman 11-10-2019 04:55 PM

Sure Shot

1 Attachment(s)
I would love to find the side pieces to this tri-fold

tedzan 11-10-2019 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 1930211)
One trivia fact is Branca had lost the first game of the 3 game playoff and had given up a homer to Thompson in that game. The other ironic fact is Branca was wearing number 13 that year so he decided maybe it was unlucky and changed it the next year to number 12.

David

Your first answer about the 1st play-off game's HR by Thomson off Branca is one of the answers I'm looking for.

Your 2nd answer is true; however, it's not the answer I'm looking for.

So try again....there is more irony in the correct 2nd answer than there is in the 1st answer.

Thanks for responding,

TED Z

T206 Reference

thatkidfromjerrymaguire 11-10-2019 09:03 PM

Ted, I’m not sure it’s ironic, but I read a biography of Willie Mays last year and learned that he was on deck when Thompson hit it. First base was open, and Willie was not having much recent success against Branch.

Also, I think I read that was the first nationally televised baseball game?

GasHouseGang 11-11-2019 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedzan (Post 1930287)
David

Your first answer about the 1st play-off game's HR by Thomson off Branca is one of the answers I'm looking for.

Your 2nd answer is true; however, it's not the answer I'm looking for.

So try again....there is more irony in the correct 2nd answer than there is in the 1st answer.

Thanks for responding,

TED Z

T206 Reference

I have a couple of guesses. First guess is if Branca had chosen to walk Thompson since he had already homered off of him, who was the rookie on deck? Willie Mays!
Second guess, who was the league leading RBI hitter that made the first and only out of the 9th inning by popping up? Monte Irvin.

jefferyepayne 11-11-2019 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3-2-count (Post 1927934)
Obak Cigarettes advertising is pretty tough to come buy. Very happy with this recent addition!

http://photos.imageevent.com/threetw...canvas%202.jpg

Love this item, Tony!

jeff

3-2-count 11-11-2019 05:09 AM

Hi Jeff. Good to hear from you.

Thank you my friend!

tedzan 11-11-2019 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire (Post 1930305)
Ted, I’m not sure it’s ironic, but I read a biography of Willie Mays last year and learned that he was on deck when Thompson hit it. First base was open, and Willie was not having much recent success against Branch.

Also, I think I read that was the first nationally televised baseball game?

John

It is not the answer I'm looking for, but you bring up a good point. With the tying runs on bases (Lockman and Hartung), Chuck
Dressen (Dodgers Mgr.) should've told Branca to intentionally Walk Thomson. Then perhaps, Willie would have been the "hero".

Incidentally, this was not the 1st televised BB game. I can attest to that because we bought our TV in 1950, and I watched many
BB games on TV that year.

Thanks for responding,

TED Z

T206 Reference

Shoeless Moe 11-11-2019 04:44 PM

The Giants also won their last regular season home game on a walkoff.

tedzan 11-11-2019 09:13 PM

OK guys, it appears that the 2nd part of this two part trivia question has proven to be a tough one.

I will give this one more day for some one on this forum to arrive at the correct answer. Hint.... it's
one of those things in life that makes you wonder.

Thanks for responding,

TED Z

T206 Reference

GasHouseGang 11-11-2019 10:30 PM

I'm not sure if this is what your thinking of, but despite the high stakes, it was a relatively-disappointing crowd that attended the game. There was a threat of rain and the Giants lost the previous game 10-0, so only 34,320 fans were in attendance. The no-shows missed one of the most legendary games in baseball history.

tedzan 11-12-2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 1930650)
I'm not sure if this is what your thinking of, but despite the high stakes, it was a relatively-disappointing crowd that attended the game. There was a threat of rain and the Giants lost the previous game 10-0, so only 34,320 fans were in attendance. The no-shows missed one of the most legendary games in baseball history.

David

Not what I'm looking for; however, you observation is well stated. The Polo Grounds seating capacity was 55,000.
Can you imagine the regrets of at least 20,000 New York Giants fans that did not attend ?
As you pointed out, the 2nd play-off game discouraged the Giants fans. And, remember this.....in the 1st week of
August 1951 the Dodgers were in 1st place in the NL. The Giants 13 games out. Despite, the Giants unbelievable
comeback that season I think many Giants fans still thought it was hopeless to expect the Giants had a chance to
get into the World Series.

Thanks again for responding, keep trying for the answer.

TED Z

T206 Reference

thatkidfromjerrymaguire 11-12-2019 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedzan (Post 1930203)
Hey guys,

I still remember Oct 3, 1951, the day Bobby Thomson's 3-run home run for the Giants in the 1951 Play-off game vs the Brooklyn Dodgers that won the NL pennant.
This famous HR was instantly coined the "Shot Heard 'Round the World".

That day my two buddies and I ran from school to my house and switched on the TV just in time when Thomson came to bat in the 9th inning. Lockman and Mueller
were on 2nd and 3rd bases, respectively. Thomson swung at Branca's 2nd pitch......and, the rest of this story is history.

I have come up with 2 "ironic" trivia facts regarding this legendary event. I'll give the 1st guy who replies with the correct 2 answers a T206 HOFer.

TED Z

T206 Reference

OK Ted, now I'm really intrigued about your mystery fact. So I did a little searching online, at was very interested to find that ALLEGEDLY, Thompson knew what pitch was coming because the Giants were stealing signs in that game.

Joshua Prager wrote about it in his book "The Echoing Green" in 2006.

So, I'm not sure if that is the trivia you were after, but it sure is interesting. Now I might see if I can find a copy of the "The Echoing Green".

John

tedzan 11-12-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire (Post 1930759)
OK Ted, now I'm really intrigued about your mystery fact. So I did a little searching online, at was very interested to find that ALLEGEDLY, Thompson knew what pitch was coming because the Giants were stealing signs in that game.

Joshua Prager wrote about it in his book "The Echoing Green" in 2006.

So, I'm not sure if that is the trivia you were after, but it sure is interesting. Now I might see if I can find a copy of the "The Echoing Green".

John

John

As a young teenager, I was an avid reader of The Sporting News, and I never read of any hint that the Giants were stealing signs from the Dodgers.
If there was one iota of truth of this occurring, it would've been revealed back in the 1950's. In my opinion this is an example of revisionist's fiction.

Prager most likely inserted this "myth" in his book (50 years after the event) in order to increase his book sales. Besides, he lived in Brooklyn.... !

In 2001...………
Bobby Thomson has denied that this occurred.

And, Ralph Branca responded to this allegation with......
"I don't want to diminish a legendary moment in baseball. And even if Bobby knew what was coming, he had to hit it. Knowing the pitch doesn't always help."

Thanks again for responding, keep trying for the answer.

TED Z

T206 Reference

GasHouseGang 11-12-2019 03:12 PM

Even if this isn't the answer you're looking for, I found this on the web and thought it was great:

There was only one known copy of the famous call. It was October 3, 1951, when Larry Goldberg, a 26-year-old travel agent living with his parents in Brooklyn, set up a reel-to-reel tape deck next to a radio before setting off to work in Manhattan.
He asked his mom to record the 9th inning of the third game of the Brooklyn Dodgers-New York Giants playoffs. What he and my grandmother captured turned out to be the only known recording at the time of Russ Hodges' famous call of Bobby Thomson's game-winning home run, "The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant!"

The night after the game, Goldberg wrote Hodges to ask if anyone at WMCA had recorded the game; if not, he would lend him his. Hodges replied quickly, and used the tape to make records as Christmas gifts. ...

GasHouseGang 11-12-2019 04:43 PM

Ted, one of the things that made me wonder as I read about the series, was why if the Dodgers won the coin toss for home field advantage, they opted to host game one at Ebbets Field which meant the Giants would get to host games two and three at the Polo Grounds. I would have thought getting two games at home would have been preferred. It seems like a curious choice.

tedzan 11-12-2019 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 1930880)
Ted, one of the things that made me wonder as I read about the series, was why if the Dodgers won the coin toss for home field advantage, they opted to host game one at Ebbets Field which meant the Giants would get to host games two and three at the Polo Grounds. I would have thought getting two games at home would have been preferred. It seems like a curious choice.

David

I cannot understand what Mgr. Dressen was thinking as you point out here. As I noted in my post #817, I more or less fault him for bad decisions which
ended up prevented Brooklyn from winning this 1951 N.L. Play-off series.

I have been a Yankees fan, and there is absolutely no one who was better at Managing a winning team than Casey Stengel, especially from 1949 - 1953.

Here is my favorite piece of artwork depicting the Polo Grounds Left Field stands in the distance in which Bobby Thomson hit his famous Home Run.

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...ologrounds.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference

tedzan 11-13-2019 05:00 PM

OK, a day has transpired with no more responses; therefore, here's the story I'm looking for. Bobby grew up in Staten Island (NY). He excelled in sports in High School,
and especially in BB. This drew the attention of the Dodgers. The Dodgers hired him to play for the Dodgers Rookies (an amateur team made up of young BB prospects
in the NY area).
Furthermore, Bobby played for an Industrial League team. Giants scout, George Mack, spotted Bobby and was impressed with his batting and his fielding in the outfield.
Despite the ongoing interest by the Dodgers, Bobby ultimately signed a contract with the Giants in 1942. Then in 1942, Bobby was drafted into the U.S. Army-Air Corps.

In 1946, Bobby played for the Jersey City Giants. In Sept that year he was called up by the Giants. He batted .315 in 18 games. In 1947, he batted .283 and hit 29 HRs
as the Giants full time centerfielder (138 games).

The failure of the Dodgers to sign Bobby when they had first dibs on him really cost them 10 years later.

TED Z

T206 Reference

tedzan 11-14-2019 03:55 PM

Recently, discovered this 50 - Cigarette Compact in a small Antique shop nearby in Quakertown, Pennsylvania.
Since it's a product of the Imperial Tobacco Co. of Canada Ltd., I am guessing it's vintage is circa 1908 - 1912.

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...osCompactX.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...ialTobacco.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference

thatkidfromjerrymaguire 11-14-2019 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedzan (Post 1931125)
OK, a day has transpired with no more responses; therefore, here's the story I'm looking for. Bobby grew up in Staten Island (NY). He excelled in sports in High School,
and especially in BB. This drew the attention of the Dodgers. The Dodgers hired him to play for the Dodgers Rookies (an amateur team made up of young BB prospects
in the NY area).
Furthermore, Bobby played for an Industrial League team. Giants scout, George Mack, spotted Bobby and was impressed with his batting and his fielding in the outfield.
Despite the ongoing interest by the Dodgers, Bobby ultimately signed a contract with the Giants in 1942. Then in 1942, Bobby was drafted into the U.S. Army-Air Corps.

In 1946, Bobby played for the Jersey City Giants. In Sept that year he was called up by the Giants. He batted .315 in 18 games. In 1947, he batted .283 and hit 29 HRs
as the Giants full time centerfielder (138 games).

The failure of the Dodgers to sign Bobby when they had first dibs on him really cost them 10 years later.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Ah, OK...that's pretty good trivia. I had no idea that Bobby Thompson had initial interest from the Dodgers. Yes, had they signed him, it would have changed the course of sports history! (And deprived us all of one of the great sportscaster calls of all time).

tedzan 11-14-2019 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire (Post 1931353)
Ah, OK...that's pretty good trivia. I had no idea that Bobby Thompson had initial interest from the Dodgers. Yes, had they signed him, it would have changed the course of sports history! (And deprived us all of one of the great sportscaster calls of all time).

Hi John

Was that bit of trivia worth waiting for....or what ?

Stories like Thomson's in Base Ball fascinate me.

For instance, what if Harry Frazee (in 1919), who was having serious financial problems with his Theatre interests,
which caused him to sell Babe Ruth to the Yankees in 1920....had NOT occurred. Would Babe Ruth, not having the
benefit of the Yankees mystique and Miller Huggins, be the mighty legend he was....and still is ?

There are many such stories in BB which has you wondering...."what if" ?

TED Z

T206 Reference

ruth-gehrig 12-13-2019 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In 25 years of collecting this is only the 3rd example I've seen and is in considerably better condition than the other two.

Jason Carota 01-08-2020 07:44 PM

Very happy to add this piece (note the missing "i" in "Briggs")

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture...ictureid=27763

jchcollins 01-09-2020 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 1930880)
... why if the Dodgers won the coin toss for home field advantage, they opted to host game one at Ebbets Field which meant the Giants would get to host games two and three at the Polo Grounds.

There is video of Ralph Branca somewhere discussing how ridiculous he thought that decision was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jerrys 01-14-2020 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Can not find a date on this stamp but it's 1940s

3-2-count 02-22-2020 09:35 AM

Original Polar Bear Tobacco shipping crate.

http://photos.imageevent.com/threetw...PB%20crate.jpg

conor912 02-22-2020 11:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3-2-count (Post 1957033)
Original Polar Bear Tobacco shipping crate.

http://photos.imageevent.com/threetw...PB%20crate.jpg

I do love me a nice wooden crate!

Jobu 02-22-2020 11:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't think I have posted this one yet. Not quite sure what it is (9" x 11"), but it looks like a Red Cross door/window hanging sign.

tedzan 02-24-2020 01:03 PM

Displayed here is a vintage postcard (circa 1912) depicting the Liggett & Myers Factory. It is one of the many American Tobacco Co. (ATC) Factory's
which manufactured tobacco products during the early 20th Century timeline.

Factory #42, Durham, NC

Tobacco brands (post ATC divestiture in 1911)...... AMERICAN BEAUTY, COUPON, FATIMA, PIEDMONT, etc.

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...igpackt206.jpghttp://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...42ncdurham.jpg

. .http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...sHand50xbx.jpg . http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...ffAB460x50.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference

tedzan 02-24-2020 07:01 PM

This 110 year old postcard depicts ATC Factory #25. Situated along the James River, this Factory produced these Tobacco brands:
AMERICAN BEAUTY, BROAD LEAF, CAROLINA BRIGHTS, CYCLE, DRUM, OLD MILL, PIEDMONT, SOVEREIGN, and SWEET CAPORAL
during the 1909 - 1911 timeline.

.................................................. .................................................. ..........................v....... Factory #25 .......v
http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...Afactory25.jpg . .

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...ackjohnson.jpg . http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...aseblue50x.jpg.http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...seblue50xb.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference

tedzan 02-25-2020 05:07 PM

Factory #33, Reidsville, NC

ATC tobacco brand...... Ty Cobb Smoking Tobacco

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...xFactory33.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...cobbtycobb.jpg . . http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...cobbtycobb.jpg

I say this Cobb is definitely a T206....what say you ?

Before you disagree.....consider the following.....the Demmitt or O'Hara (St louis variations) "stand alone", as does this Ty Cobb/ TY COBB card. Therefore,
the argument that this Cobb card is a unique subject (unlike any other T206 cards) does not hold water. Plus, evidence confirms that it was issued in 1910.

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...StLouisSGC.jpg . http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...McGlynn25x.jpg . http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...tLouisSGCA.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference

tedzan 02-27-2020 05:47 PM

Factory #30, Brooklyn, NY…..I have been searching many years for a postcard (or a photo) of this Factory. If anyone on this forum has a picture, please post it......Thanks.

Factory #30 produced tobacco brands...... LENOX, SWEET CAPORAL, TOLSTOI, UZIT

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...30xNYpackX.jpghttp://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...loveUZITbk.jpghttp://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...6xLENOXx50.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...kSC150x30x.jpg . . http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...ZITxSGC30x.jpg . . http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...ackTOLSTOI.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...SC150x30xb.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference

samosa4u 03-01-2020 01:41 PM

I'm surprised nobody ever posted this here:

https://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/081...tibles_021.jpg

Viceroy cigarettes Mickey Mantle advertising sign (probably from 1957). I believe these signs were displayed on the sides of buses.

The above sign does not belong to me. It was owned by Jay Kemplin and he sold it back in 2018.

BruceinGa 03-24-2020 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3-2-count (Post 1215487)

I just saw one at an antique mall near me. It, however, was missing the lid.

Marslife 03-25-2020 05:08 PM

Tobacco Advert

2 Attachment(s)
Hey Fellas!

GR8 stuff!

have this super nice Mecca Princess on my wall, nice compliment to the T201 Master Set!

TTYL!

Cliff

Attachment 390794

Attachment 390795

tedzan 04-09-2020 05:23 AM

Original 1947 BOND BREAD wrapper

https://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan...eadwrapper.jpg

Real rookie cards
. https://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan...ookiestars.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference

Jobu 04-09-2020 09:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I posted my Carolina Brights poster in this thread a number of years ago. For anyone who liked it, I want to let you know that it is now live at REA:

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=64991

phlflyer1 04-12-2020 11:44 AM

Croft & Wilbur 1876 Centennial Liberty Bell

4 Attachment(s)
Recently picked up the following piece which I was pretty happy to acquire.

From my research, it is one of the first documented candy containers having been distributed at the first Worlds Fair (Centennial Exposition) in Philadelphia in 1876. The container held candy produced by Croft & Wilbur which was the predecessor to Croft & Allen of E92 fame.

Samuel Croft eventually split up with H.O. Wilbur in the 1880s. Wilbur went on to concentrate on producing Chocolate candy and his company became famous for producing "Wilburs Buds" candies similar to Hersheys kisses.

After the split with H.O. Wilbur, Samuel Croft formed a partnership with George Allen in the 1880s to manufacture candy and cocoa related products that included Croft's Cocoa and Croft's Candy which we are familiar with from the backs of E92 cards.

icurnmedic 04-12-2020 12:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Didn’t realize I had this

1880nonsports 04-12-2020 05:54 PM

the Piedmont sign

is the back from a folding chair. Doesn't make it any less nice - just different.

1880nonsports 04-12-2020 05:58 PM

Great Croft item!

Had a few neat things from the later brand in the past - that is way cool... It's the ancillary items to my core collections that bring it all together.

icurnmedic 04-12-2020 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1880nonsports (Post 1970535)
is the back from a folding chair. Doesn't make it any less nice - just different.

Yes that is my understanding. Or a bench maybe. It’s Double sided. I have had it for years, long before I started collecting prewar.

phlflyer1 04-13-2020 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1880nonsports (Post 1970538)
Had a few neat things from the later brand in the past - that is way cool... It's the ancillary items to my core collections that bring it all together.

Thanks Henry,

I'm definitely of like mind that items like this, related to the cards that I collect, add to the enjoyment of collecting the cards themselves.

asoriano 04-13-2020 11:37 AM

A few of my favorites...

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 394199

Attachment 394197

Attachment 394193

phlflyer1 04-13-2020 04:17 PM

Hey Turner,

Love the Piedmont chair and sign, thanks for sharing them.

I've seen a couple of those chairs over the years in antique stores when visiting my grandmother down in North Carolina but never one in as nice of a condition as yours.

tedzan 04-14-2020 07:45 PM

Not "Tobacco, Candy, Gum, or Bakery" adv....but, interesting 19th Century stuff, nevertheless.

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...ly2bblitho.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...2bblithobk.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference

phlflyer1 04-25-2020 04:54 PM

1904 Worlds Fair - Plows Candy

2 Attachment(s)
Didn't even realize this when I posed the Croft & Wilbur Liberty Bell from the 1876 Worlds Fair/Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia but I have another Worlds Fair advertising piece related to the manufacturers of our beloved baseball cards.

Here is a Plows Candy souvenir postcard from the 1904 Worlds Fair in Saint Louis where they were located.

slantycouch 06-04-2020 08:17 PM

I was doing some research an came back across this incredible thread. I figure it's worth a bump.

I'm surprised to _not_ see any of the original Sporting Life ads featuring T206. Does anyone here have one (or more) of them?

tedzan 08-26-2020 07:02 PM

Prior to WWII, the BOWMAN Gum Co. advertised their Sportscards by their "PLAY BALL" Trademark. When BOWMAN introduced their 1st BB card set
after WWII, they continued the "PLAY BALL" Trademark on their wax-pack wrapper.
Stay tuned for 1949 - 1953 issues.

1948 Bowman 1-cent wrapper

http://www.oldcardboard.com/r/r406-1/wrapper-sm.jpg . . . . http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...manbbsheet.jpg

The printing of the 1948 BOWMAN set is very interesting. The printers took their original 36-card production sheet and produced a 48-card set from it.
In their 1st press runs, they printed cards #1 - 36. For their 2nd press runs, they modified their printing plates by replacing 12 cards in the first group
of 36 with cards #37 - 48.

The 36-card uncut sheet displayed here represents the 2nd print run. Cards #37 - 48 are interspersed among the lower number cards. Therefore, this
process created Double-Prints of 24 low numbers....Single-Prints of 12 low numbers....and, another set of Single-Prints of the 12 high numbers.

TED Z

T206 Reference

tedzan 08-28-2020 07:09 PM

In 1949, BOWMAN introduced their BOWMAN BASEBALL BUBBLE GUM cards.

…..…...... extremely rare 1949 PCL wrapper .................................................. ................... regular 5-cent 1949 wrapper

. http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...nwrappergb.jpg

Complete 4th series uncut 36-card sheet [this series (cards #109 - 144) were issued in the Summer of 1949]
http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...seriesheet.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference

tedzan 08-29-2020 10:02 AM

1951 BOWMAN 24-count Wax-pack box (this box is actually 3-dimensional. I scanned it in 2 dimensional form in order to completely display it here).
BOWMAN repeated many of the images from their 1950 set, added names on the front of the cards, and printed a tremendous number of these cards.
Note that they advertised "340 major league players"....however, they printed 324 cards in this set.

..................................http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...nWaxBox17x.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...nWaxPkBoxS.jpghttp://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...axPkBox50x.jpghttp://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...xPkBoxSinv.jpg
..................................http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...axBox17inv.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...hiteyFordx.jpg . http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...edWilliams.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference

3-2-count 08-29-2020 10:27 AM

More good stuff Ted. I really like the variety of your point of sale items and how they tie into your card collection.

I hadn't listed these in this thread yet. A couple extremely large original OBAK wooden shipping crates. Grand kids included in the shot to show just how large these items are.

https://photos.imageevent.com/threet...e/obak%202.jpg

I'll more than likely have a custom lid made for them which will be laid on top of the crates so that they can be used as additional display tables where other related OBAK advertising such as these can be displayed along with them.

https://photos.imageevent.com/threet...e/obak%204.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/threet.../obaksign1.jpg

bobfreedman 08-29-2020 11:54 AM

Two Tins

2 Attachment(s)
Bambino and Homerun

tedzan 08-29-2020 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3-2-count (Post 2012858)
More good stuff Ted. I really like the variety of your point of sale items and how they tie into your card collection.

I hadn't listed these in this thread yet. A couple extremely large original OBAK wooden shipping crates. Grand kids included in the shot to show just how large these items are.

https://photos.imageevent.com/threet...e/obak%202.jpg

I'll more than likely have a custom lid made for them which will be laid on top of the crates so that they can be used as additional display tables where other related OBAK advertising such as these can be displayed along with them.

https://photos.imageevent.com/threet...e/obak%204.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/threet.../obaksign1.jpg

Hi Tony

Great OBAK stuff....and your Granddaughters accent the picture beautifully.

Thanks for the kind words, I like the way you framed them.

TED Z

tedzan 08-29-2020 02:05 PM

1952 BOWMAN Football wrapper....note the label on the banner: "GIANT SIZE". In order to compete with the very popular larger size 1952 Topps BB cards,
BOWMAN re-sized their regular set of 1952 FB cards. Then re-issued these larger size cards in the Fall/Winter of 1952.
Shown here is a very rare 32-card uncut sheet of the (1st series) BOWMAN "GIANT SIZE" cards.

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...perLarge25.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...etLarge19x.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference

bobfreedman 09-01-2020 11:51 AM

Honest Cuts Sign

1 Attachment(s)
Civil War piece

1880nonsports 09-01-2020 04:50 PM

very nice

hope you will be doing some conservation/restoration on the banner. It deserves it. I dropped out around 3000.00. Great item.

edited to add I'm still looking for something to initiate a trade for that virginia brights mirror piece :-)

HD28Player 11-02-2020 08:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
TedZan - interesting....same exact offer on my 1888 Buffords Trade Card. Must be part of the same printing.

tedzan 11-21-2020 01:34 PM

Well, by no means is this Tobacco, Candy, Gum, or Bread.... it's an "etc." advertisement piece :)

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...tMantle50b.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...stMantle50.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference

ocjack 11-29-2020 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cleaning out old thumb drives and found this picture of a Salada store display. Don't remember where I got the picture or if it has already been posted, but I love pictures of these old displays (like the Woolworth Topps display).

tedzan 12-14-2020 05:45 PM

Deleted.

Double post.

tedzan 12-14-2020 05:45 PM

I would prefer to have a T215 BB card with a "PIRATE" back, but until then I'll settle for this one as a type card.

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...atecigpack.jpg . http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...atecigpack.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan...amilyscene.jpg . . https://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan...amilyscene.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference

tedzan 08-24-2021 06:10 PM

Pre-WWII UNION LEADER Tobacco Tin (circa 1920's - 1930's)

P. Lorillard Co. brand produced at Factory #6, 1st District, Middletown, Ohio.

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...TobaccoTin.jpg

Post-WWII UNION LEADER Tobacco Tin (Richmond, Virginia circa 1950's - 1960's)

https://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan...nLeaderTin.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference

Vintagedeputy 11-30-2021 08:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not advertising per se, but here is what’s left of an embossed side panel to a 1912-22 Cracker Jack shipping carton.

Marslife 12-03-2021 12:30 PM

Helmar Poster

1 Attachment(s)
Scored this sweet Helmar Poster. Listing said it was Annie Oakley but I dont think it is. regardless looks nice on the wall. does anyone know if a paper restorer can clean up the water stains?

thanks! Cliff

Attachment 490644

Hankphenom 12-03-2021 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobfreedman (Post 2012892)
Bambino and Homerun

Gorgeous.

tedzan 11-22-2022 07:09 PM

Circa 1889......Games and Sports Series (N165)

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...andballOJb.jpghttp://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...ecigpack_1.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...cherBBcard.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...handballOJ.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference

1880nonsports 11-23-2022 09:21 AM

Bob F. - super Bambino tin!

Cliff - yes those stains can be dealt with. It is NOT Annie Oakley. I ALMOST tracked down who it was at some point and then LOST THE HANDLE on it - she was I believe famous to some degree tied to the Old West. I have a die-cut porcelain sign with her image.

Bob - I'm curious. Could you show the BOTTOM of the Home Run tin (and any other writing that might be on the sides)???? Never seen that before.

LEHR 11-23-2022 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobfreedman (Post 2013788)
Civil War piece

Great poster! I don't think I've ever seen that one before.

skil55voy 11-23-2022 12:55 PM

Newer Ads

2 Attachment(s)
Mantle and Maris Life Magazine (Canada)

skil55voy 11-23-2022 12:57 PM

A Couple More

2 Attachment(s)
Salada Ad from a comic book