Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   365 Days of Roberto Clemente (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=249493)

hcv123 10-18-2021 12:15 PM

Good story

2 Attachment(s)
Figured this one comes with a good story, so worth reviving the great one thread!

So about 25 years ago before electronic Ebay sniping there was well, manual sniping - had to set an alarm and mark your calendar, be in front of your computer and hope your internet connection didn't fritz out.

I had found a listing for 2 Puerto Rican winter league yearbooks - I had never seen them before - a 1954 With Roberto Clemente and a 1955 with Willie Mays and Roberto Clemente. The '55 was scheduled to end first. Both of them were sitting at like $100 heading into the auction close. So I am thinking - gosh, I would pay $500 a piece for them. So with 10 seconds left to go, I hit the "place bid" button with my $500 something dollar bid - only to find myself the underbidder!!!! Upset, angry and determined not to lose the '54 I put my snipe in at like $700. on the '54. I won it for ~ $200! I tried reaching out to see who might have won the '55 to try to talk them out of it. No luck even finding where it landed. So it landed on my want list. I can't say I actively searched for it as much as other items, but it remained in the back of my mind and I certainly kept my eye out for one.

Well, Last week our very own Net 54 board member Larry S lists one in the BST here:
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=309045

I ponied up for it as it puts a happy ending to a previously "unfinished" story - received it today and am happy to add it to my collection! Thanks Larry!

..........now where did I put that '54? :eek:

docpatlv 10-18-2021 09:41 PM

Nice pickups Mike & Howard!

scotgreb 10-29-2021 03:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just picked this up (a throw-in with a group of older Pirates yearbooks) -- appears to be from 1971. Scott

Attachment 485235

Attachment 485236

71buc 10-29-2021 09:53 PM

Nice pick up Scott! You don’t see those very often. I have one and seem to recall a squirrel recipe by Mrs. Maz.

scotgreb 11-03-2021 09:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
"It is funny because the squirrel is dead" - Dug (from the movie Up)

Attachment 485957

71buc 12-16-2021 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by docpatlv (Post 1803123)
Great pickups Howard! That uncut sheet is very nice. At first I thought it was the same as the photo I picked up from you, but then I noticed it was slightly different. Any idea who issued the photo you sold me?

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpat...ssueGlossy.jpg

Day 225

Mike, Ever since you posted this piece I have been searching for one for my own collection. At every turn I encountered a dead end. Last month my local card shop asked me to examine some Clemente items they were selling on consignment . I was stunned to see this one among those items. The card and autograph were obtained by the owner when he was a child. He said he got it when his dad took him to a promotional event at a local Pittsburgh department store. He obviously took great care of as its in pristine condition. I was certain that it was an authentic autograph. Nonetheless, for my own peace of mind I decided to make an offer contingent that it pass TPA. It just passed JSA. I sold some non-Pirate items that were not terribly important and closed the deal. To say that I'm thrilled is an understatement. I'm sharing it here because those in my immediate social circle are less than impressed and in disbelief that I actually spent "THAT KND OF MONEY" on a "LITTLE PICTURE" I'm surrounded by Philistines. Happy Holidays to all of my more enlightened friends here on Net54.

71buc 12-16-2021 04:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hcv123 (Post 2155028)
Figured this one comes with a good story, so worth reviving the great one thread!

So about 25 years ago before electronic Ebay sniping there was well, manual sniping - had to set an alarm and mark your calendar, be in front of your computer and hope your internet connection didn't fritz out.

I had found a listing for 2 Puerto Rican winter league yearbooks - I had never seen them before - a 1954 With Roberto Clemente and a 1955 with Willie Mays and Roberto Clemente. The '55 was scheduled to end first. Both of them were sitting at like $100 heading into the auction close. So I am thinking - gosh, I would pay $500 a piece for them. So with 10 seconds left to go, I hit the "place bid" button with my $500 something dollar bid - only to find myself the underbidder!!!! Upset, angry and determined not to lose the '54 I put my snipe in at like $700. on the '54. I won it for ~ $200! I tried reaching out to see who might have won the '55 to try to talk them out of it. No luck even finding where it landed. So it landed on my want list. I can't say I actively searched for it as much as other items, but it remained in the back of my mind and I certainly kept my eye out for one.

Well, Last week our very own Net 54 board member Larry S lists one in the BST here:
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=309045

I ponied up for it as it puts a happy ending to a previously "unfinished" story - received it today and am happy to add it to my collection! Thanks Larry!

..........now where did I put that '54? :eek:

Howard, I just saw your program. That's an awesome piece. Congratulations on that pick up. I'm sure its nice to have that closure. Coincidently, I own a Type I copy of that photo of Willie sliding on the lower right.

hcv123 12-17-2021 07:23 AM

Great pickup Mike!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 2175692)
Mike, Ever since you posted this piece I have been searching for one for my own collection. At every turn I encountered a dead end. Last month my local card shop asked me to examine some Clemente items they were selling on consignment . I was stunned to see this one among those items. The card and autograph were obtained by the owner when he was a child. He said he got it when his dad took him to a promotional event at a local Pittsburgh department store. He obviously took great care of as its in pristine condition. I was certain that it was an authentic autograph. Nonetheless, for my own peace of mind I decided to make an offer contingent that it pass TPA. It just passed JSA. I sold some non-Pirate items that were not terribly important and closed the deal. To say that I'm thrilled is an understatement. I'm sharing it here because those in my immediate social circle are less than impressed and in disbelief that I actually spent "THAT KND OF MONEY" on a "LITTLE PICTURE" I'm surrounded by Philistines. Happy Holidays to all of my more enlightened friends here on Net54.

Thanks for the Kudos on the yearbook. Right back at you on the autographed 71 action card. That Mays photo is pretty cool too. I have also seen (and been the underbidder on) the composite photo used on that page!

docpatlv 12-18-2021 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 2175692)

Mike,

AWESOME pickup!!! Sorry, just getting around to seeing it. There’s not a more deserving collection for it to reside than yours.

I can’t remember the last time I picked up any RC items. It seems as of late I have been buying more cars than cards…:eek::eek::eek:

Great acquisition Mike!!!

71buc 02-01-2022 11:41 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The Roberto Clemente Museum has released a 50th Anniversary calendar that is beautiful. They printed 3000 numbered pieces. The calendar is truly a work of art and any Clemente collector would be impressed and happy to add it to their collection so I thought I would share it here for anyone who might be interested.

Mike