Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hey, pennant guys (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=183684)

Mark70Z 01-13-2024 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erikc21 (Post 2404248)
Blizzard conditions here in Nebraska [emoji3063] When you’re stuck inside it’s fun to enjoy your hobby! Figured I’d send some pickups over the last handful of months.

Really like both Orioles pennants!

UKCardGuy 01-13-2024 06:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2404303)
Awesome pickups Erik! Some super rare ones.... congrats!

I agree. A very cool set of pennants. I love that 61 Reds.

Is the 1944 Orioles made by Epstein? It looks very similar to one by Epstein with the sliding baserunner

vintagesportscollector 01-13-2024 08:44 AM

ANNIN & Co.

3 Attachment(s)
This has been quite informative, interesting. I wasn’t previously aware of Annin Co. Looking on Worthpoint I see they focused on some nice collegiate material as well, but apparently not that prolific. I have never come across these amazing pillow covers and the flags. I would love to find one. The football pillow covers are fantastic.

bocca001 01-13-2024 10:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure if it is ANIN, but there is a Stanford football (I think it's football) pillow in this picture. And about 192 other things I'd like to own.

perezfan 01-13-2024 11:23 AM

Amazing photo Marc...

Here's a less spectacular photo, but anything that pinpoints the year of a vintage pennant is worth posting, IMHO. For those of us who have this Tigers Pennant, it's cool to know that it's from 1964...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134531418341

vintagesportscollector 01-13-2024 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bocca001 (Post 2404377)
Not sure if it is ANIN, but there is a Stanford football (I think it's football) pillow in this picture. And about 192 other things I'd like to own.

Awesome Marc! There is also a Harvard football pillow on the back corner of the bed.

Vintagedeputy 01-13-2024 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2404394)

It could also be from before 1964 since it’s mounted on the wall. Who knows how long it’s been there.

bocca001 01-13-2024 11:45 AM

I wish that photo I posted was mine. It's just a screenshot. I think someone on here sent me the link years ago. And catch on the Harvard pillow too. Being dated 1909 seems to put them in line with those in the ANIN catalog.

thetahat 01-13-2024 03:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2404394)
Amazing photo Marc...

Here's a less spectacular photo, but anything that pinpoints the year of a vintage pennant is worth posting, IMHO. For those of us who have this Tigers Pennant, it's cool to know that it's from 1964...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134531418341

Mark: very interesting. I thought I had the exact pennant but mine here (cloth) looks a tiny bit different (proportional size of tiger head and lettering). I assumed mine was a late 60s ASCO, perhaps right before the trademark was required. In fact the lettering is identical to the orange Tigers with the 1969 MLB mark and it has the same stitch and “feel”.

I guess ASCO was spitting out team pennants earlier than I thought …

perezfan 01-13-2024 03:37 PM

Interesting Greg…

I have it but it’s stashed away. I’ll try to find it. The colors and design of yours are indeed slightly different. I assumed it was a later 60s pennant too. Was a bit surprised to see it in a 1964 photograph.

ooo-ribay 01-14-2024 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy (Post 2404198)
Lost in the mail for a month, this beautiful Yankees pennant finally arrived. I know it’s not a “mini”, so what do we call this size? I’m thinking that it’s probably a 1940’s or 1950’s era pennant.

Basically 11” without tassels….I’d call it a mini. I think your guess of an era is probably correct. Perhaps a bit later…

Vintagedeputy 01-14-2024 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2404591)
Basically 11” without tassels….I’d call it a mini. I think your guess of an era is probably correct. Perhaps a bit later…

Thanks, Rob. It’s a cool little piece.

UKCardGuy 01-14-2024 01:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another mini pennant question....

I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about this pennant? I think it's from 1936 World Series (Giants vs Yankees). It's about 9 inches + tassels.

I don't think it's part of the BF2/BF3 series.

MK 01-14-2024 01:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by UKCardGuy (Post 2404697)
Another mini pennant question....

I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about this pennant? I think it's from 1936 World Series (Giants vs Yankees). It's about 9 inches + tassels.

I don't think it's part of the BF2/BF3 series.

I’ve always assumed these mini dated pennants were made with the intention of attaching to a small bat and selling them at the World Series.

bocca001 01-16-2024 05:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm curious to know what you guys think about whether the top pennant in this picture might be older that the one below it. And when I say older, I mean maybe 5 years or so. Maybe early 1950s vs. later 1950s. To me, the top pennant has notably thinner tassels and I associate thinner tassels with somewhat earlier pennants.

The answer to this question really is not all that important, and I understand that there is almost no way to really know. I'm just curious what people think.

thetahat 01-16-2024 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bocca001 (Post 2405313)
I'm curious to know what you guys think about whether the top pennant in this picture might be older that the one below it. And when I say older, I mean maybe 5 years or so. Maybe early 1950s vs. later 1950s. To me, the top pennant has notably thinner tassels and I associate thinner tassels with somewhat earlier pennants.

The answer to this question really is not all that important, and I understand that there is almost no way to really know. I'm just curious what people think.

Interesting pennants. Don’t look like Trench nor WGN. Neither one has the really thin tassels that are indicative of the earlier WGNs. My guess is that they are roughly the same age although the feel of the pennants could tell a different story.

ser1979 01-17-2024 06:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I purchased this pennant the other day and was wondering if anyone in the group could possibly shed some light on the history or if they have seen one like this before. I did a quick google search for York County Southern League and came up with just a few pictures. Any help would be appreciated. Also any help on how to convince your wife to let you display an 8ft pennant would be appreciated, lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305355116098

Vintagedeputy 01-17-2024 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ser1979 (Post 2405413)
…. Also any help on how to convince your wife to let you display an 8ft pennant would be appreciated, lol

A pennant like that is super rare and beautiful and needs to be hung somewhere to truly be appreciated.

You can always get another wife!

ooo-ribay 01-17-2024 08:26 AM

Quote:

I like the font on those. I also like the quirkiness of “49,” rather than “49’ers.”

As far as dating….. you’re the 49’ers expert!

ooo-ribay 01-17-2024 08:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I purchased this pennant the other day and was wondering if anyone in the group could possibly shed some light on the history or if they have seen one like this before. I did a quick google search for York County Southern League and came up with just a few pictures. Any help would be appreciated. Also any help on how to convince your wife to let you display an 8ft pennant would be appreciated, lol

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Keezer with seen on letters. Cool.

Some of my bigger banners are humg in our garage and, what they call in Utah (a mormon thing), our cold storage room.

ooo-ribay 01-17-2024 09:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
x

perezfan 01-17-2024 12:19 PM

Those are beyond impressive, Rob...

Laraine Day was married to Leo Durocher, but I'm guessing you knew that. :rolleyes:

And I NEVER get tired of looking at that Giants Banner with the Bunting... just spectacular in every regard!

ooo-ribay 01-17-2024 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2405501)
Those are beyond impressive, Rob...

Laraine Day was married to Leo Durocher, but I'm guessing you knew that. :rolleyes:

And I NEVER get tired of looking at that Giants Banner with the Bunting... just spectacular in every regard!

Nice Mormon gal from Utah, married to a foul mouthed, heavy drinking dude. :D

Fballguy 01-17-2024 03:53 PM

Quote:

I think they're identical twins, but the one on top came out first.

Mark70Z 01-17-2024 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2405457)
x

How did you hang the San Fran flag? I "really" like that example and I think you have another flag in your room correct...

Hankphenom 01-17-2024 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector (Post 2404364)
This has been quite informative, interesting. I wasn’t previously aware of Annin Co. Looking on Worthpoint I see they focused on some nice collegiate material as well, but apparently not that prolific. I have never come across these amazing pillow covers and the flags. I would love to find one. The football pillow covers are fantastic.

It's not football, but I love my Amherst pillow with a leather insignia.

thetahat 01-17-2024 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2405440)
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Keezer with seen on letters. Cool.

Some of my bigger banners are humg in our garage and, what they call in Utah (a mormon thing), our cold storage room.

The orange banner especially is amazing …

thetahat 01-17-2024 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

1. Get a pool table
2. Never use it

(These are just under 6 feet long

There must be a Giants somewhere …

Mark70Z 01-17-2024 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetahat (Post 2405615)
1. Get a pool table
2. Never use it

(These are just under 6 feet long

Do you know if there is an Orioles example?

ooo-ribay 01-17-2024 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetahat (Post 2405615)
1. Get a pool table
2. Never use it

and

1. You’ll find it.
2. I’ll be insanely jealous

:p

ooo-ribay 01-17-2024 09:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark70Z (Post 2405581)
How did you hang the San Fran flag? I "really" like that example and I think you have another flag in your room correct...

The black flag (burgee) in the garage, I stapled to the wall. :eek:

The bunting with the pitcher, I hung on Tapcons (aka "blue screws"), driven into the concrete foundation.

Yeah, I have a couple more of the "bunting style."

vintagesportscollector 01-17-2024 09:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2405589)
It's not football, but I love my Amherst pillow with a leather insignia.

That’s a great pillow Hank. I love the brilliant color.

Here is an all leather pillow from c.1915.

vintagesportscollector 01-17-2024 09:25 PM

Rowing Pillow - Reproduction Co. ??

2 Attachment(s)
Here is another pillow from about c.1915 too. (this isn’t mine, but I saved the picture). The rowing graphics are remarkably similar to the work of other Reproduction Co. pennants from that time.

Mark70Z 01-18-2024 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2405643)
The black flag (burgee) in the garage, I stapled to the wall. :eek:

The bunting with the pitcher, I hung on Tapcons (aka "blue screws"), driven into the concrete foundation.

Yeah, I have a couple more of the "bunting style."

Thanks! I have a similar flag, but it’s square, a bunting as well and looking for options to hang. Not sure I’ll go with the staple technique :D

You have some great looking items!

thetahat 01-18-2024 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark70Z (Post 2405617)
Do you know if there is an Orioles example?

I have only seen two other teams (neither of which was Orioles) I bought mine in two batches. One came from a person who had both Angels and LAD, who claimed that he got them from someone who said they hung at the 1969 ASG.The fact that these are trademarked still suggests that more quantities were made. To think that there could be a Pilots somewhere out there!

Mark70Z 01-18-2024 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetahat (Post 2405760)
I have only seen two other teams (neither of which was Orioles) I bought mine in two batches. One came from a person who had both Angels and LAD, who claimed that he got them from someone who said they hung at the 1969 ASG.The fact that these are trademarked still suggests that more quantities were made. To think that there could be a Pilots somewhere out there!

Thanks for some of the background on these large pennants. You would think if they were made in larger quantities I would at least seen some examples. The ones you’ve posted are the only examples I’ve seen of these large pennants from ‘69.

ooo-ribay 01-18-2024 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetahat (Post 2405760)

These are just super-sized versions of existing 30” pennants, right? If so, I think the trademark symbol would have just carried over when they enlarged the silk screen, by whatever process they used. The trademark, in and of itself, doesn’t necessarily lead me to believe they were made in quantities. But you know more than I….

thetahat 01-18-2024 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2405873)
These are just super-sized versions of existing 30” pennants, right? If so, I think the trademark symbol would have just carried over when they enlarged the silk screen, by whatever process they used. The trademark, in and of itself, doesn’t necessarily lead me to believe they were made in quantities. But you know more than I….

Correct and yes you may be right. These are enlarged versions of what I think is the underappreciated 1969 ASCO cloth pennant series. Everything is enlarged *except* for the MLB trademark which is the same size as it is on the 30”. These are a softer felt and the graphics are painted but with a rubberized texture so it doesn’t crack. Very strange.

One of the very early posts on this thread shows a beautiful Twins version from this series, might guess there are more of those around since ASCO was in MN.

ooo-ribay 01-18-2024 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetahat (Post 2405904)
Correct and yes you may be right. These are enlarged versions of what I think is the underappreciated 1969 ASCO cloth pennant series. Everything is enlarged *except* for the MLB trademark which is the same size as it is on the 30”. These are a softer felt and the graphics are painted but with a rubberized texture so it doesn’t crack. Very strange.

One of the very early posts on this thread shows a beautiful Twins version from this series, might guess there are more of those around since ASCO was in MN.

Yeah, I can see the rubberized texture if I zoom in.

The fact that the MLB trademark is not super-sized makes me rethink my theory of the maker using 30” silk screens, somehow enlarged. Remember the overhead projectors from elementary and high school? That, or something similar, was the 1969 kind of “technology” I was thinking they might use to draw a new screen.

We may never know….but knowing the obsessive nature of some of us pennant guys, we just might! :D

Domer05 01-19-2024 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2405873)

I agree. The maker (ASCO) was probably obligated to use the MLB logo as part of their license with every MLB pennant made--no matter the team, no matter the size. And, if these were made as one-offs in support of an MLB-hosted ASG, I would certainly expect them to have the MLB logo on them.

The commissioner (and his lawyers) were bound to see them. They may even placed the order for them!

These had to be one-offs.

bocca001 01-19-2024 08:25 AM

The Astros was for sale for several years, on ebay, for about $300. The seller then ran it as an auction and it sold for maybe $250? I could be getting those numbers wrong. I guess the question is whether the one Greg eventually got is the same one that sold on ebay years ago, or another.

ooo-ribay 01-19-2024 09:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bocca001 (Post 2405980)
The Astros was for sale for several years, on ebay, for about $300. The seller then ran it as an auction and it sold for maybe $250? I could be getting those numbers wrong. I guess the question is whether the one Greg eventually got is the same one that sold on ebay years ago, or another.

Let’s beat this dead horse a little more, shall we?

This thing sold probably 25 years ago on ebay. It went for decent money, but nothing crazy. I still kick myself for not getting it. Based on the seller’s description, it’s not as big as the ones Greg has. It’s also polychromatic. Same series? Something completely different? What do you guys think?

MK 01-19-2024 10:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am elated to have finally acquired this scarce Cubs pennant. I passed on one about five years ago and this is the first one I have seen since. It’s not even in Egner’s Guide. Kind of glad I waited now, as this one is in slightly better condition and was less than half the price of the one I passed on 5 years ago. This is of course the odd “Ebbets Field” version in which someone decided to use the Dodgers home field and pass it off as Wrigley. While numerous Dodger pennants used this graphic, this particular Cubs version seldom surfaces. Maybe it was a limited production, or Cub fans were insulted by the image. Either way, I’m happy to add it to my collection.

ooo-ribay 01-19-2024 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 2406036)
I am elated to have finally acquired this scarce Cubs pennant. I passed on one about five years ago and this is the first one I have seen since. It’s not even in Egner’s Guide. Kind of glad I waited now, as this one is in slightly better condition and was less than half the price of the one I passed on 5 years ago. This is of course the odd “Ebbets Field” version in which someone decided to use the Dodgers home field and pass it off as Wrigley. While numerous Dodger pennants used this graphic, this particular Cubs version seldom surfaces. Maybe it was a limited production, or Cub fans were insulted by the image. Either way, I’m happy to add it to my collection.

And I’m happy for you, Mike!

Funny how you can often get a better deal after you come in second the first time around. The only problem is that you never know if you’ll see some rare pennants ever again. I can think of at least three Giants pennants I’ve only seen ONCE.

ooo-ribay 01-19-2024 11:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
In case anyone is wondering, these are the three:

MK 01-19-2024 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2406048)
And I’m happy for you, Mike!

Funny how you can often get a better deal after you come in second the first time around. The only problem is that you never know if you’ll see some rare pennants ever again. I can think of at least three Giants pennants I’ve only seen ONCE.

Thanks Rob. I usually end up paying more the second time around but this was a happy ending.

ooo-ribay 01-19-2024 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 2406076)
Thanks Rob. I usually end up paying more the second time around but this was a happy ending.

With me, I don’t have to outbid my Giants “frienemies” the second or third time around….if there is a second or third time. :mad:

UKCardGuy 01-19-2024 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 2406036)

That's a fantastic pennant. Congrats. (one more ebay search just added) :D

thetahat 01-19-2024 03:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2405999)
Let’s beat this dead horse a little more, shall we?

This thing sold probably 25 years ago on ebay. It went for decent money, but nothing crazy. I still kick myself for not getting it. Based on the seller’s description, it’s not as big as the ones Greg has. It’s also polychromatic. Same series? Something completely different? What do you guys think?

Same series! Offhand I believe the Giants and Twins are the only ones in that series that is one-color print, though the Twins were made in blue and red cloth. My big ones are 30” by 68”.

thetahat 01-19-2024 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bocca001 (Post 2405980)

Yes that was me. I got 4 of my 6 from him for an even grand. His had grommets like the Expos above.