Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Under appreciated Hall of Famers (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=319648)

Aquarian Sports Cards 05-16-2022 05:49 PM

A related concept is a HOF'er who has NEVER been appreciated. Monte Irvin cards were immediately passed in the hobby by Minnie Minoso as soon as he was elected to the hall. Irvin is about the only early black MLB HOF'er whose prices didn't move with the spike most of those players saw after Aaron died.

cgjackson222 05-16-2022 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2225559)
A related concept is a HOF'er who has NEVER been appreciated. Monte Irvin cards were immediately passed in the hobby by Minnie Minoso as soon as he was elected to the hall. Irvin is about the only early black MLB HOF'er whose prices didn't move with the spike most of those players saw after Aaron died.

Would like to see Irvin get some love from collectors. Maybe after Mays' HBO documentary comes out.

There was a nice write-up about Irvin after he passed in 2016.

As it points out, Irvin was 30 by the time he finally got a chance to play in the Majors in '49, after a great career in the Negro Leagues. Unfortunately, after a strong year for the Giants in '51 when he lead the league in RBIs and finished 3rd in MVP, he fractured his ankle sliding into 2nd, causing him to miss most of the '52 season and hindering his MLB career.

He was a mentor to Willie Mays, and along with Hank Thompson, formed the first all black outfield. RMY had an amazing picture of them in their most recent auction.

michael3322 05-17-2022 05:12 AM

My 2-cents: For the legends - Ruth, Gehrig, Mays, Cobb, Mantle, Jackie, etc. their value mainly increases since awareness of their exploits continues from generation to generation.

For others, it takes a story/movie to bring them into the consciousness of current collectors. I haven't tracked it, but I wonder if the 2018 movie about Moe Berg led to an increase in the value of his cards.

Some HoF-ers just don't have the appeal of others. Consider Al Kaline, who according to recent eBay sales, has autos that go for <$10. So for some they might be over-exposed among current cards, and therefore their allure suffers from a lack of overall card rarity (even if their playing-day cards have a relatively low pop or are in a desirable set).

Just being in the HoF is no longer what it once was. Consider that Tris Speaker (#9 in career overall WAR) was not a first-ballot HoF-er, or that it took Eddie Collins 4 votes to be inducted. The recent induction of Harold Baines seems to have dropped the standard quite a bit.

But many of the players mentioned in this thread are legends, under appreciated by the overall market as they may be. Clearly they are not under appreciated here on Net54!

SAllen2556 05-17-2022 06:23 AM

I think Hank Greenberg might fit the bill. His '34 Goudey card has soared in recent years. After the Gehrig cards, his card is the next most expensive card in that set. It didn't used to be.

And the nice thing is, he deserves it. He was a good guy and a genuine hero in so many ways.

irv 05-17-2022 06:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2225559)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgjackson222 (Post 2225561)
Would like to see Irvin get some love from collectors. Maybe after Mays' HBO documentary comes out.

As it points out, Irvin was 30 by the time he finally got a chance to play in the Majors in '49, after a great career in the Negro Leagues. Unfortunately, after a strong year for the Giants in '51 when he lead the league in RBIs and finished 3rd in MVP, he fractured his ankle sliding into 2nd, causing him to miss most of the '52 season and hindering his MLB career.

He was a mentor to Willie Mays, and along with Hank Thompson, formed the first all black outfield. RMY had an amazing picture of them in their most recent auction.

I can only go by the 52 Topps cards of Monte Irvin that I have watched/followed through eBay but I have noticed a somewhat decent uptick lately regarding that card.
Not saying it has followed Minoso's uptick, but it has risen somewhat for the last little while.
https://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/ba...irvin-26/22925

jingram058 05-17-2022 07:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 2225668)
I can only go by the 52 Topps cards of Irvin that I have watched/followed through eBay but I have noticed a somewhat decent uptick lately regarding that card.
Not saying it has followed Minoso's uptick, but it has risen somewhat for the last little while.
https://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/ba...irvin-26/22925

I have been a fan of Monte Irvin for decades. One reason was his mentorship of Willie Mays. One of my first old cards was a 1954 Topps Monte Irvin. Here's a photo of Willie Mays, Lou Chiozza and Hank Thompson in Memphis in the early 1950s.

jingram058 05-17-2022 07:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
1954 Topps Monte Irvin

molenick 05-17-2022 09:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SAllen2556 (Post 2225666)
I think Hank Greenberg might fit the bill. His '34 Goudey card has soared in recent years. After the Gehrig cards, his card is the next most expensive card in that set. It didn't used to be.

And the nice thing is, he deserves it. He was a good guy and a genuine hero in so many ways.

His Diamond Star price just set a record (by far). It was the first time the card has come up for sale post-pandemic, which probably helped.

rats60 05-17-2022 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jingram058 (Post 2225673)
I have been a fan of Monte Irvin for decades. One reason was his mentorship of Willie Mays. One of my first old cards was a 1954 Topps Monte Irvin. Here's a photo of Willie Mays, Lou Chiozza and Hank Thompson in Memphis in the early 1950s.

Monte Irvin also mentored Roberto Clemente.

irv 05-17-2022 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgjackson222 (Post 2225561)

Is it possible you could copy and paste that article as it asks to join the NY Times when I go to read it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jingram058 (Post 2225673)

Unfortunately, the only card (decal) Monte and Willie are on together is the 1952 Star Cal decal.
And it also doesn't look like there is card available, despite the 3 of them being the first AA's ever to play in the outfield together, of Monte, Willie and Hank. :(

Aquarian Sports Cards 05-17-2022 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAllen2556 (Post 2225666)

Posts like this are why we need a "like" button. Spot on.

Leon 05-19-2022 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molenick (Post 2225691)
His Diamond Star price just set a record (by far). It was the first time the card has come up for sale post-pandemic, which probably helped.

That's a price increase!

I am going with Rogers Hornsby as under appreciated...and his prices have risen some lately.

ezez420 05-19-2022 07:12 PM

Under appreciated Hall of Famers

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...6e8027ebdd.jpg

Exactly Leon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk