Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   High Grade Ruth Rookie (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=348179)

Rhotchkiss 04-10-2024 01:06 PM

I think the card went very cheap. A creased SGC 2 sold for $313k in October of 2021. I would think a PSA 5 would be at least 2.5x an SGC 2, or $782k. Add 2.5 years to that last comp, 2.5 years in which the card market has gone nuts, and I think it should have been $1mm+.

I believe the card would have gotten much more in a US sports-card auction, and the consignor did themselves an expensive disservice here. Had Jay not outed the auction, the disservice may have been even more expense.

darwinbulldog 04-10-2024 01:40 PM

Prices are a lot lower now than they were 2.5 years ago.

calvindog 04-10-2024 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2425750)
I think the card went very cheap. A creased SGC 2 sold for $313k in October of 2021. I would think a PSA 5 would be at least 2.5x an SGC 2, or $782k. Add 2.5 years to that last comp, 2.5 years in which the card market has gone nuts, and I think it should have been $1mm+.

I believe the card would have gotten much more in a US sports-card auction, and the consignor did themselves an expensive disservice here. Had Jay not outed the auction, the disservice may have been even more expense.

Agreed.

MattyC 04-10-2024 01:47 PM

I would venture out on a limb and say that card is presently worth 762k.

mrreality68 04-10-2024 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyC (Post 2425759)

Yes it is worth what it sold for but in my opinion if it was at a different auction house and had more exposure and more potential bidders and email blasts, and catologs and social media like instagram it would have done better.

But we will never know what could have been.

Lorewalker 04-10-2024 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2425750)

Maybe the winner can do another consignment to REA and then buy Jay a really nice steak dinner.

Rhotchkiss 04-10-2024 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darwinbulldog (Post 2425755)
Prices are a lot lower now than they were 2.5 years ago.

This is a generalization and it is false in many cases. Ruth rookies are not lower compared to 2021. Almost all Ruth stuff is more today than 2.5 years ago. Same is very true with Wagner cards. Most Cobbs have retained value (t206 down some for sure), and Joe Jackson is much higher.

Yes, 2021 was a high point for some cards, but most certainly not for all, and many, including Ruth, are worth more today than 2.5 years ago.

Powell 04-10-2024 04:28 PM

I was the underbidder. Just missed.

YankeeCollector 04-10-2024 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powell (Post 2425809)
I was the underbidder. Just missed.

You outbid me with 6 minutes left. I was at 500k (640k) with BP.

Vintageclout 04-10-2024 08:08 PM

Ruth Rookie

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2425790)
This is a generalization and it is false in many cases. Ruth rookies are not lower compared to 2021. Almost all Ruth stuff is more today than 2.5 years ago. Same is very true with Wagner cards. Most Cobbs have retained value (t206 down some for sure), and Joe Jackson is much higher.

Yes, 2021 was a high point for some cards, but most certainly not for all, and many, including Ruth, are worth more today than 2.5 years ago.

This Ruth rookie goes at least $100-$150K higher in a serious & well-advertised major sports auction

irv 04-10-2024 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2425790)

I agree fully. I have read that here and on Blowout that "all" vintage card prices are down, but that's simply not true.
I follow 52's, and although there are outliers, not all have come down. Many, in fact have risen and continue to do so.

babraham 04-11-2024 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorewalker (Post 2425733)
762 is pretty close to 900 so it did not do that badly.

For a poor schmuck like myself, $762k is nowhere close to $900k.

;) :)

Vintageclout 04-11-2024 05:29 AM

Ruth Rookie

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 2425861)
I agree fully. I have read that here and on Blowout that "all" vintage card prices are down, but that's simply not true.
I follow 52's, and although there are outliers, not all have come down. Many, in fact have risen and continue to do so.

Indeed, scarce Pre-war such as Ruth, Cobb, Wagner, Gehrig, etc. continue to realize very strong numbers. Hobby icons are doing very well.

edhans 04-11-2024 08:43 AM

Re: High Grade Ruth Rookie

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyC (Post 2425759)

I respectfully disagree. I don't think we can reach any conclusions about the current "market value" based on this auction. The winning bidder may have had several more increments left and would have happily paid north on $1M for it. Regrettably for the consignor, there was no third party willing to push it to that level. If that card were offered at a private sale for $1.2M and the buyer agreed, wouldn't that establish a true "market value"?

uniship 04-11-2024 08:49 AM

Whoever bought that card is a genius and will easily double their money (if not far more) in next few years.

Lorewalker 04-11-2024 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edhans (Post 2425926)
I respectfully disagree. I don't think we can reach any conclusions about the current "market value" based on this auction. The winning bidder may have had several more increments left and would have happily paid north on $1M for it. Regrettably for the consignor, there was no third party willing to push it to that level. If that card were offered at a private sale for $1.2M and the buyer agreed, wouldn't that establish a true "market value"?

Two Net54 members state they were the immediate under bidders. On any lot in any auction the person who wins that item could always been willing to pay more but if nobody else bids then in the auction format, that is market value. We use those results predominantly as market value in the hobby. Fixed price is another way to determine market value but it does not in any way invalidate the auction result. What something is worth or what its value is in many cases can be a fluid concept. As it stands, 762K is a valid comp, love it or not.

Rhotchkiss 04-11-2024 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorewalker (Post 2425930)
Two Net54 members state they were the immediate under bidders. On any lot in any auction the person who wins that item could always been willing to pay more but if nobody else bids then in the auction format, that is market value. We use those results predominantly as market value in the hobby. Fixed price is another way to determine market value but it does not in any way invalidate the auction result. What something is worth or what its value is in many cases can be a fluid concept. As it stands, 762K is a valid comp, love it or not.

Indisputably, $762k is a valid comp. It sold, in an auction, for $762k. I do think it would have done better in a different auction house, but that's pure speculation. The fact is it sold for $762k

edhans 04-11-2024 09:10 AM

Re: Re: High Grade Ruth Rookie

Not saying that the auction result is "invalid" or that it isn't a valid comp. Point is that market value is not determined by an underbidder or lack thereof.

D. Bergin 04-11-2024 09:23 AM

Who is the underbidder, to the underbidder?

Perhaps THAT is the new market value of the card, since the "over-bidder" is out of the picture now.

Deep Thoughts! ;)

Lorewalker 04-11-2024 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edhans (Post 2425937)
Not saying that the auction result is "invalid" or that it isn't a valid comp. Point is that market value is not determined by an underbidder or lack thereof.

That is true for every single card ever auctioned. It is worth on that day and time what the person who was willing to pay the most for it ended up paying for it. 762K, like it or not, is a valid comp and the market value.

So do we start tossing out hammer prices arbitrarily or questioning them based on speculation?