Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A public apology (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=328558)

Yoda 12-06-2022 06:41 PM

One of the reasons I so enjoy Net 54 so much, besides perhaps me being the grandfather of baseball chat rooms with Full Count some 20 odd years ago, is the basic level of civility we show each other rather than the toxic stew that flows out of so many social media sites.
Leon, who I have know for about 25 years, has taken my original primitive effort and brought it up to speed. The features and technology are just terrific.
Knowing the honest fellow that he is, I am sure Leon will publicly admit he stole my '38 Goudey Joe DiMaggio in 1996, but I don't expect a public apology.

chjh 12-06-2022 07:14 PM

This is a good website. Could be great if there weren't so many angry old men here. The angry are drowning out the rest.

chjh 12-06-2022 07:21 PM

If you responded to the OP anything other than 'welcome back let's talk cards' you might be part of the problem. Having an ability to deescalate drama is an important life skill.

ullmandds 12-06-2022 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chjh (Post 2290917)
This is a good website. Could be great if there weren't so many angry old men here. The angry are drowning out the rest.

get off my lawn ya fzuk!!!! JK! Welcome back...I don't miss Kevin Mize one iota!

hcv123 12-06-2022 08:50 PM

Too much attention on semantics?

1) Erik you left voluntarily, you were not kicked off - so whatever happened between you and said parties is imho between you and said parties.

2) I do understand the "confusion" around the idea of your communicated need to make a public apology. My understanding is a key part of a public apology is "saying out loud" what you stand accountable for - no need to involve the names of other parties, but relevant to state your actions for which you are apologizing.

3) That said, it is your own opinion about a need for a public apology - see #1

4) Welcome back!

Eric72 12-06-2022 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmattioli (Post 2290831)
OMG this guy is Eric? I love this dude as much as Adrian..

No, the guy pretending to have a Wagner was named Andrew Clinton. He *might* have also gone by the name Adrian, although I always thought those were two different people.

Either way; no, it wasn't Erik.

The "Nun's Wagner" scammer dude was banned.

Aquarian Sports Cards 12-06-2022 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drazz5 (Post 2290858)
Ha! My thoughts exactly. I don't think anyone here is in a position to opine on the adequacy of an apology that does not involve any of us.

Erik, no one forced you to go out of your way to post this, so good for you. Hope whoever you feel that you wronged can appreciate the effort as well.

Cheers!

But if it doesn't involve us, why involve us? Make your apologies to the aggrieved parties (and he says he did) and call it a day, no? I don't care either way, but I will say the post is confusing to me.

SyrNy1960 12-07-2022 05:45 AM

chjh: This is a good website. Could be great if there weren't so many angry old men here. The angry are drowning out the rest.

My response: Being that I posted, and I’m 62, I don’t appreciate your comment “Could be great if there weren't so many angry old men here.”

chjh: If you responded to the OP anything other than 'welcome back let's talk cards' you might be part of the problem. Having an ability to deescalate drama is an important life skill.

My response: In reference to your two comments above, you failed to display the ability to deescalate drama, which is an important life skill, as you stated.

I don’t see any anger from any of the post. Just some confused and questioning the purpose of a public apology, when the public doesn’t understand what the public apology is specifically for.

I think if the OP posted something like, “Hey guys, been away for a while, but now I’m back” the OP would have received nothing but “Welcome back let’s talk cards.”

I showed my wife the OP’s post.

Wife: What is he apologizing for?
Me: I don’t know.
Wife: Then why is he making a public apology?
Me: I don’t know

As Aquarian Sports Cards posted: “But if it doesn't involve us, why involve us? Make your apologies to the aggrieved parties (and he says he did) and call it a day, no? I don't care either way, but I will say the post is confusing to me.”

This is same reasoning for those posts that were perceived as negative and angry.

rjackson44 12-07-2022 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEHR (Post 2290663)
I've always found it amusing that grown men can get so worked up over baseball cards.

Best answer on this thread thx

Rich Klein 12-07-2022 09:43 AM

Only on Net 54

Can a well-meaning gesture set up a 60-post train wreck of a debate. How about we call it a day folks?

Rich

luciobar1980 12-07-2022 09:56 AM

Of course you're gonna have that person who comes in and says this apology is not "good enough". OF COURSE you are. As long as the parties involved are cool why should anybody care for or need to know details? Geez Louise.

timzcardz 12-07-2022 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 2291086)
Can a well-meaning gesture set up a 60-post train wreck of a debate. How about we call it a day folks?

Rich

I am offended by your characterization of this as a train wreck and your suggestion that it stop.

I think that you should apologize.

Peter_Spaeth 12-07-2022 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2290959)
No, the guy pretending to have a Wagner was named Andrew Clinton. He *might* have also gone by the name Adrian, although I always thought those were two different people.

Either way; no, it wasn't Erik.

The "Nun's Wagner" scammer dude was banned.

Adrian was a guy from Canada, Andrew I believe was from Tennessee, two different guys. Adrian was banned eventually. Adrian had some issues and developed a reputation for reneging on purchase commitments, although I don't think he ever failed to deliver on a card he sold. To this day I regret not buying a 311 he offered me at what even then was a very low price, I just didn't trust him and he refused to go through an intermediary. Another member ended up getting the card.

dmats33312 12-07-2022 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3arod13 (Post 2291027)
Wife: What is he apologizing for?
Me: I don’t know.
Wife: Then why is he making a public apology?
Me: I don’t know

This pretty much sums it up to a t

1952boyntoncollector 12-07-2022 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEHR (Post 2290663)
I've always found it amusing that grown men can get so worked up over baseball cards.

well cards and money..(unless talking about junk wax or regional cards for the most part) .its not like people ever committed crimes over money?

as to the apology i give it 'evidence of trimming' as we dont know the whole story..

also i am vindicated with my back and forth with Mize..

SyrNy1960 12-08-2022 11:03 AM

Erik V,

I would like to end this thread with an apology to you for what should have been nothing but a "feel good" post for you. Sometimes conversations take a turn in a different direction, but I know no one meant any harm. Wish you nothing but the best!

ajjohnsonsoxfan 12-08-2022 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2291101)
Adrian was a guy from Canada, Andrew I believe was from Tennessee, two different guys. Adrian was banned eventually. Adrian had some issues and developed a reputation for reneging on purchase commitments, although I don't think he ever failed to deliver on a card he sold. To this day I regret not buying a 311 he offered me at what even then was a very low price, I just didn't trust him and he refused to go through an intermediary. Another member ended up getting the card.

I had sooo many conversations on the phone with Adrian in Canada as we were both actively chasing the 14 CJ set at the time. My kids who are college age now but were much younger then, still tease me to this day about Adrian. If memory serves, he had a very rich brother that was funding his hobby purchases.

Peter_Spaeth 12-08-2022 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan (Post 2291708)
I had sooo many conversations on the phone with Adrian in Canada as we were both actively chasing the 14 CJ set at the time. My kids who are college age now but were much younger then, still tease me to this day about Adrian. If memory serves, he had a very rich brother that was funding his hobby purchases.

AJ yeah I seem to recall that as well. But the problem was he kept buying cards and then not paying for them, he claimed he could not help himself due to OCD, it wsa hard to assess from afar.

CJinPA 12-08-2022 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2290527)
Only on net54 does a guy get bashed for making an apology. Tough fucking crowd.

Good for you Erik. Welcome back (I have no idea what you are apologizing for, but apparently you now owe another apology for calling whatever you posted a “public apology”).

The Mize comments, on the other hand, are classic

+100 here.... I've read a lot here and comment from time to time. Peter Spaeth, seems like a good guy but there's no quarter given by him in his first response to the apology, why? Not detailed enough?

I kinda like Net54, but at the same time, kinda don't... I really mean no offense to anyone but there are some difficult dudes here, but WHY?

Spaeth, 27,000+ posts in 13 years? That's literally an avg. of 5.5+ posts per day for 13 years but cannot simply take an apology..... sheesh

pokerplyr80 12-08-2022 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJinPA (Post 2291757)
+100 here.... I've read a lot here and comment from time to time. Peter Spaeth, seems like a good guy but there's no quarter given by him in his first response to the apology, why? Not detailed enough?

I kinda like Net54, but at the same time, kinda don't... I really mean no offense to anyone but there are some difficult dudes here, but WHY?

Spaeth, 27,000+ posts in 13 years? That's literally an avg. of 5.5+ posts per day for 13 years but cannot simply take an apology..... sheesh

To be fair this is not a public apology. I stand by my earlier comment. We were owed nothing, Eric was never banned, and was not required to make any public statement. But an apology should, in theory, state what one is sorry for, and who (whom?) one is apologizing to. This did neither.

Peter_Spaeth 12-08-2022 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 2291766)
To be fair this is not a public apology. I stand by my earlier comment. We were owed nothing, Eric was never banned, and was not required to make any public statement. But an apology should, in theory, state what one is sorry for, and who (whom?) one is apologizing to. This did neither.

Careful you may get a reputation as a "difficult dude" too.

pokerplyr80 12-08-2022 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2291773)

I think that ship has sailed long ago

Peter_Spaeth 12-08-2022 09:38 PM

From an online article.

An apology must convey a sense of recognition to the aggrieved. The apology issuer should correctly state what they have done wrong and connect that to the experience of the aggrieved.

Eric72 12-08-2022 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 2291766)

…and who (whom?) one is apologizing to...

…and to whom one is apologizing…

(Just being “difficult” for kicks.)

:D

doug.goodman 12-08-2022 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJinPA (Post 2291757)

Well, since the initial post in this thread does not actually qualify as an apology in the eyes of many of us, then we don't know if Peter "cannot simply take an apology" because none was given for him to potentially take.

Stampsfan 12-08-2022 10:57 PM

Reading this, there went 15 minutes in my life that I will not get back.

I think I will apologize to myself.

G1911 12-08-2022 11:05 PM

Are we so starved for drama that we're going to make it out of a thread about a public apology about a private incident that not a single person here seems to know what the heck was even going on with?

JollyElm 12-09-2022 12:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 546233

“What do I do to make net54er’s love me?
Oh, what have I gotta do to be heard by Spaeth and others?
What do I do when negative posts strike me?
What have I gotta do?
What have I gotta do?
Oooh, sorry seems to be the hardest, most confusing, unclear, bloody purposeless and quite ill-defined word...”

MikeGarcia 12-09-2022 04:36 AM

78 posts without a card ??? Sheesh !

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/204295...WHORSE_NEW.JPG

...unless you count Adrian's Wagner.....

pokerplyr80 12-09-2022 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2291782)
…and to whom one is apologizing…

(Just being “difficult” for kicks.)

:D

Wasn't sure to be honest, thanks.

1952boyntoncollector 12-10-2022 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2291773)

you think?

FrankWakefield 12-10-2022 08:32 PM

+1 to Don M's wife's analysis.

This thread has exhausted most all potential for improvement of the dialog, the thread, and the board.

Mr. Leon, I move and vote that you pull the plug on this thread. Have mercy on us.

drcy 12-10-2022 08:44 PM

Adrian appeared to have a mental disorder, and I felt sorry for him.