Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Another Ebay rule change! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=140527)

cubsguy1969 02-28-2012 03:05 PM

Can you purchase media mail postage through paypal? I've never tried buying postage in any capacity through paypal or ebay.
I know that the automated machines at the post office won't work with media mail. You have to take them up to the counter and have a real live human do it for you.

Edited to add:
I usually insure pricier items and eat the cost, just for the peace of mind. But I sell lots of books and such for $6 to $10. Seems silly to me to pay for tracking on every one of those. I'd rather risk the occasional package getting lost or a buyer "claiming" he never got the item and have to refund the 10 bucks. I think I come out ahead. I've found that most book buyers seem to be fairly reasonable people. Maybe not as many crooks as on the card/memorabilia side of things. But maybe I've just been lucky.

t206hound 02-28-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubsguy1969 (Post 971185)
Can you purchase media mail postage through paypal? I've never tried buying postage in any capacity through paypal or ebay.
I know that the automated machines at the post office won't work with media mail. You have to take them up to the counter and have a real live human do it for you.

Sure can... I did a few times in the last month for DVD movies and books that I sold.

chaddurbin 02-28-2012 03:11 PM

i just discovered last week you save like 50% shipping from ebay's website. what used to cost $3.29 at the po is now like $1.69...joy!

and free confirmation

cubsguy1969 02-28-2012 03:13 PM

OK. I'll look into that. If it's only 19 cents, that wouldn't be too bad. It's 70 cents for tracking when bought at the post office, isn't it? Or somewhere in that neighborhood. As I stated, it seemed silly to me to add 70 cents in tracking costs to every $10 book I ship out. That adds up to real money fairly quickly when you ship a lot of packages. (I've done nearly 60 in the past week -- selling a big book collection).

slidekellyslide 02-28-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaddurbin (Post 971188)
i just discovered last week you save like 50% shipping from ebay's website. what used to cost $3.29 at the po is now like $1.69...joy!

and free confirmation

Yep...I used to lug 50+ packages to the post office twice a week...I'd pick and choose which item I wanted to spend 75 cents on for delivery confirmation...Usually I would get groans from the people behind me in line..especially if only one person was working the front counter. Since I went automated I haven't spent more than a few minutes at a post office in the last 8 months.

CW 02-28-2012 08:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Listings with lots of great quality photos sell more, so start loading up now.
This is ironic because the images uploaded and hosted on eBay's service typically suck. I see they revised the way the pop-up window and zoom features work for photos, but I did not see an improvement in the quality. Sellers who host their own scans off-site typically have the best images.

And speaking of the star ratings on ebay, someone posted this on the CU forums, and I thought it was pretty funny. For those who may have missed it....

D. Bergin 02-28-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CW (Post 971287)
This is ironic because the images uploaded and hosted on eBay's service typically suck. I see they revised the way the pop-up window and zoom features work for photos, but I did not see an improvement in the quality. Sellers who host their own scans off-site typically have the best images.

Yeah, I've almost always paid a 3rd Party lister an additional fee to create and upload my Ebay listings.

Their picture uploads and listing pages were always so much better and and more streamlined then Ebay's own increasingly complicated system.