Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   December pickups (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=159619)

Runscott 12-12-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob D. (Post 1062061)
L1 Lajoie, a longtime want.

Great pick-up! That recent 'leather' auction was the time to grab one of these - I had my eye on Speaker, but resisted.

71buc 12-12-2012 08:55 PM

QUOTE=Runscott;1062010]These three Conlon photos arrived today. The Goslins have Conlon signatures and notations, one with his stamp. The Johnson is from the family scrapbook. Not sure why the scan is so fuzzy, but I'll get a better one - actually a very clean image.[/QUOTE]

Beautiful photos:eek:

Shoeless Moe 12-12-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 1062004)
AWESOME pickup, Paul!! Where did you find it? What's the story?

Just purchased it from someone who inherited/acquired an estate collection of a late baseball "ambassador" who I don't think realized the significance of this game. I gave them a fair price, but it's worth a little more than what I paid for it, and with the letter, maybe a lot more.

I personally wished I would have thought of that when I was younger and added a note to every game I attended then I would actually remember the games, now I just have tons of stubs and the memories all blended together.

Scott Garner 12-13-2012 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 1062115)
Just purchased it from someone who inherited/acquired an estate collection of a late baseball "ambassador" who I don't think realized the significance of this game. I gave them a fair price, but it's worth a little more than what I paid for it, and with the letter, maybe a lot more.

I personally wished I would have thought of that when I was younger and added a note to every game I attended then I would actually remember the games, now I just have tons of stubs and the memories all blended together.

Paul,
The letter that accompanies The Shot Heard Round The World ticket is really super. What a combo! :eek:

FWIW, I really think you have a centerpiece type combo piece there. Congrats! :cool:

bobfreedman 12-13-2012 09:37 AM

Holy Grail Piece

1 Attachment(s)
Really happy with this

Since people have to hate, this is indeed authenticated by both PSA/DNA and James Spence

Runscott 12-13-2012 11:08 AM

Mike, thanks for your comment on the photos. The Johnson slipped by at the last Legendary auction - I was thrilled to get it.

perezfan 12-13-2012 02:09 PM

Bob - Incredible bold Ruth... glad to see you indeed got it!

Mike - Nice job on the lamp... has to be the best one in existence!

Rob - Gorgeous Lajoie Leather... I am green with envy (although it ended up right where it was supposed to).

Incredible month for auctions... I am hoping to "join the party" after Lelands!

Runscott 12-13-2012 02:12 PM

Bob, congratulations on locating your holy grail baseball.

Forever Young 12-14-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobfreedman (Post 1062223)
Really happy with this

Since people have to hate, this is indeed authenticated by both PSA/DNA and James Spence

Whether it be jealously, the need to feel more important than one actually is or just plain mentally challenged..there will always be haters Bob. Most people actually like seeing others do well though. What a great pickup that is. If I was going to spend that kind of money on a sig, I would want it authenticated by psa and jsa too. Congrats!! I always wanted a Ruth ball... maybe someday!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1062309)
Bob, congratulations on locating your holy grail baseball.

+1

Runscott 12-14-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobfreedman (Post 1062223)
Really happy with this

Bob, all the memorabilia folks read my post, and there was no 'hate' in it.

The only 'haters' I'm seeing here are you and Ben. Nothing new there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forever Young (Post 1062706)
Whether it be jealously, the need to feel more important than one actually is or just plain mentally challenged..there will always be haters Bob.

And Ben - no, I'm not 'mentally challenged'. But nice shot.

Forever Young 12-14-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1062716)
Bob, all the memorabilia folks read my post, and there was no 'hate' in it.

The only 'haters' I'm seeing here are you and Ben. Nothing new there.

And Ben - no, I'm not 'mentally challenged'. But nice shot.

Are you out of your mind? Where did he mention you??? I really don't think I hate.. just like to call out the haters.. guess I did it again???!!

Forever Young 12-14-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1062010)
These three Conlon photos arrived today. The Goslins have Conlon signatures and notations, one with his stamp. The Johnson is from the family scrapbook. Not sure why the scan is so fuzzy, but I'll get a better one - actually a very clean image.

PS: Nice pickups:) Truly.. that Walter is nice.. I don't remember seeing it in legendary. Nice addition Scott.

Runscott 12-14-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forever Young (Post 1062721)
Are you out of your mind? Where did he mention you??? I really don't think I hate.. just like to call out the haters.. guess I did it again???!!

No, Ben, I am not out of my mind...and I'm not mentally challenged. These aren't terms I use to describe people. Hopefully you never have to deal first-hand with mental illness, but if you do, I can guarantee you'll drop them from your insult vocabulary as well. Really, I hope that doesn't happen.

If you did not read my original posts, which I edited after realizing how defensive Bob is about this ball, then I apologize. Seriously.

Forever Young 12-14-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1062731)
No, Ben, I am not out of my mind...and I'm not mentally challenged. These aren't terms I use to describe people. Hopefully you never have to deal first-hand with mental illness, but if you do, I can guarantee you'll drop them from your insult vocabulary as well. Really, I hope that doesn't happen.

If you did not read my original posts, which I edited after realizing how defensive Bob is about this ball, then I apologize. Seriously.

Actually Scott.. I, like many countless others have experienced Mental illness with loved ones. It is not just you. Saying "out of their mind" in reference to "haters" is in no way showing a lack of empathy or respect for those who struggle through mental illness every day. You have no idea what I have been through in this arena, so before you accuse someone of such a thing, I would think twice or at least know the situation. Could I have been more tasteful... PC...sure.. I guess... but I think your statement is absurd, careless and insulting. If I offended anyone, I am sorry.

Runscott 12-14-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forever Young (Post 1062736)
Actually Scott.. I, like many countless others have experienced Mental illness with loved ones. It is not just you. Saying "out of their mind" is in no way showing a lack of empathy or respect for those who struggle through it every day. I think this statement is absurd, careless and insulting. Seriously...

Actually Ben, '"absurd, careless and insulting" IS a perfect description of your poor choice of words.

I realize that with you it's either 'walk on eggshells' or ignore, and I'm tired of walking on eggshells. Goodbye.

Forever Young 12-14-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1062749)
Actually Ben, '"absurd, careless and insulting" IS a perfect description of your poor choice of words.

I realize that with you it's either 'walk on eggshells' or ignore, and I'm tired of walking on eggshells. Goodbye.

You're crazy.

Runscott 12-14-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forever Young (Post 1062736)
You have no idea what I have been through in this arena, so before you accuse someone of such a thing, I would think twice or at least know the situation.

????? I accused you of a very poor choice of words, and I'll do so again - If you have experience with mental illness, then it's especially deplorable. Seriously, we have nothing more to discuss - put your guilt card back in your pocket and talk about vintage photos.

But with someone else.

Forever Young 12-14-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1062756)
????? I accused you of a very poor choice of words, and I'll do so again - If you have experience with mental illness, then it's especially deplorable. Seriously, we have nothing more to discuss - put your guilt card back in your pocket and talk about vintage photos.

But with someone else.

Everyone feel sorry for runscott...

Scott Garner 12-19-2012 07:41 PM

My favorite 2012 pickup

8 Attachment(s)
Well, much to my great surprise, December ended up producing my favorite pickup of 2012. Christmas came early this year! :D

Here is a game ball from Nolan Ryan's 15th strikeout in his 1974 AL record 19 K 9-inning game on 8/12/74. Ryan passed HOF Bob Feller for the AL record and tied Tom Seaver and Steve Carlton's ML record 19 K's in this game. This ball came directly from the Angels 1974 ball boy Paul Hirsch. Paul retrieved the ball when it hit the backstop and screen during the at bat of Cecil Cooper immediately following Ryan's 15th K that night. His letter of provenance fills in all the details.

Rocket Roger Clemens, Kerry Wood and Randy Johnson have since become the standard bearers with 20 K's in a 9 inning game.

Additionally, I purchased Nolan Ryan's 1974 Angels locker tag from Paul as well. I don't know if it is clearly visible, but you can actually see these Angels locker tags in the background in the picture of Paul and Nolan posing together in the Angels Clubhouse in 1974.

1974 was arguably one of Nolan's best seasons. He struck out 19 three times (yikes!), a 1-hitter and his 3rd career no hitter.

Both of these items are excellent additions to the Angels portion of my advanced Nolan Ryan collection. Not many items make their way into my Ryan collection these days. They have to have special significance and have perfect provenance. These two items made the cut in a huge way...

Many thanks to long time Bay Area collector/dealer friend Mark Macrae for connecting me with Paul!

Rob D. 12-19-2012 07:44 PM

Good stuff, Scott.

Way to end the year with a bang.

Scott Garner 12-20-2012 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob D. (Post 1064624)
Good stuff, Scott.

Way to end the year with a bang.

Thanks Rob! This is why I didn't chase the Feller debut ticket...

Forever Young 12-20-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 1064623)
Well, much to my great surprise, December ended up producing my favorite pickup of 2012. Christmas came early this year! :D

Here is a game ball from Nolan Ryan's 15th strikeout in his 1974 AL record 19 K 9-inning game on 8/12/74. Ryan passed HOF Bob Feller for the AL record and tied Tom Seaver and Steve Carlton's ML record 19 K's in this game. This ball came directly from the Angels 1974 ball boy Paul Hirsch. Paul retrieved the ball when it hit the backstop and screen during the at bat of Cecil Cooper immediately following Ryan's 15th K that night. His letter of provenance fills in all the details.

Rocket Roger Clemens, Kerry Wood and Randy Johnson have since become the standard bearers with 20 K's in a 9 inning game.

Additionally, I purchased Nolan Ryan's 1974 Angels locker tag from Paul as well. I don't know if it is clearly visible, but you can actually see these Angels locker tags in the background in the picture of Paul and Nolan posing together in the Angels Clubhouse in 1974.

1974 was arguably one of Nolan's best seasons. He struck out 19 three times (yikes!), a 1-hitter and his 3rd career no hitter.

Both of these items are excellent additions to the Angels portion of my advanced Nolan Ryan collection. Not many items make their way into my Ryan collection these days. They have to have special significance and have perfect provenance. These two items made the cut in a huge way...

Many thanks to long time Bay Area collector/dealer friend Mark Macrae for connecting me with Paul!

Scott, This is a fantastic Ryan pickup. Congrats to you! Ben