Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Garage/Estate Sale Success? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=216680)

tschock 06-09-2016 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aelefson (Post 1548633)
I am sorry to hear that Rob! I hope you have better luck in the future. I am still amazed you were number 2 in line though given what time you got there. It is much more competitive in Massachusetts.

Alan

I hear you. You arrive at 6 AM for an 8 AM opening around here and you're lucky to be in the top 20 for a lot of them.

Sorry to hear that as well, Rob. In looking at the pics closely, I see a few red flags that would lead me to believe there won't be a lot of deals. (yeah hindsight, right?) However having said that, I probably would have gone myself anyway. :) I'm a sucker that way. LOL. Or at least tried the 1/2 off day. Some times you can get things lower than that as well, depending on how bad they need to move the stuff.

bcbgcbrcb 06-09-2016 07:40 PM

Have heard many stories but never picked up anything even remotely close to significant at a garage or estate sale...

slidekellyslide 06-09-2016 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aelefson (Post 1548633)
I am sorry to hear that Rob! I hope you have better luck in the future. I am still amazed you were number 2 in line though given what time you got there. It is much more competitive in Massachusetts.

Alan

It is super competitive in Lincoln for good sales. You have to be very early to be top 10. Only 50 miles away up in Omaha in a town three times the size of Lincoln you can get there a couple hours early and get top 10. Heck, my brother and I went up to a sale there about a month ago filled with vintage 1960-70s toys and got there 3 hours after the sale started and completely loaded our van up with awesome stuff. We went up the next day for half price day, got there about a half hour before opening and we were first in line.

RobDerhak 06-11-2016 08:30 AM

Yea, we weren't expecting much when we saw the pics they posted the night before...the 54 Spahn was priced about right, everything else was a smash & grab for them hoping to run into a sucker.

KC Estate Sales are apparently unique because people place markers in their place in line and then go back and wait in their cars...There were probably 40 people there at 8:45, 20 of us had used markers to reserve our spots, the rest were just arriving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tschock (Post 1548684)
I hear you. You arrive at 6 AM for an 8 AM opening around here and you're lucky to be in the top 20 for a lot of them.

Sorry to hear that as well, Rob. In looking at the pics closely, I see a few red flags that would lead me to believe there won't be a lot of deals. (yeah hindsight, right?) However having said that, I probably would have gone myself anyway. :) I'm a sucker that way. LOL. Or at least tried the 1/2 off day. Some times you can get things lower than that as well, depending on how bad they need to move the stuff.