Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How rare would a stack of 1921 Herpolsheimer's be? Including Babe. Just wondering :) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=266139)

CobbSpikedMe 02-23-2019 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atari (Post 1857646)
Me, Babe Ruth, and his 38 friends from the band-aid can? I guess I write"we" occasionally here as I am assisting another party (my uncle) help spread the word that this collection exists and the cards from it may be for sale.... soon.

Got it, thanks.

Atari 02-23-2019 06:41 PM

PSA lists that they have seen one Ruth from this series:

https://www.psacard.com/pop/baseball...sheimers/40209

Do they have an image of it somewhere? How does that work? Or it's just graded by PSA and sitting in someones private collection somewhere?

swarmee 02-23-2019 07:01 PM

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprice...sheimers/40209
The only ones PSA would have images of are the ones that have sold at auction that they're tracking through Auction Prices Realized or if people upload them to their website for a Set Registry. Maybe in an old SMR magazine article if someone allowed them to be photographed.
Other places to check: worthpoint, Sports Collectors Daily, PWCC marketplace, VCP, Google, etc.

ValKehl 02-23-2019 08:06 PM

Atari, nice find. As others have said, your Herps-Ruth card will fetch big $$. However, even though your group includes several other HOFers, I think you may be surprised as to how few $$ the other Herps cards will fetch. I say this because (1) 1921 Herps cards are too scarce for a collector to attempt to complete a set of them - scarcity often works against a card's value, (2) there are several other, identical, but scarcer 1921 issues - e.g., Leader Theatre, Haffner's Bread, Gassler's Bread, Clark's Bread, etc. that don't sell for all that much, and (3) most pre-War collectors (but not me) prefer the very colorful cards created by artists to the real-photo, black & white cards.

BTW, I'm thrilled to see that your find does not include a WaJo card, as I love having 1-of-1 cards. On the other hand, I'm saddened to note that your find includes a Sam Rice card. Oh well, one can't win them all!

Cardboard_Mike 02-23-2019 08:27 PM

RE: Atari

It looks like your uncle will be retiring early.

Atari 02-23-2019 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValKehl (Post 1857690)
Atari, nice find. As others have said, your Herps-Ruth card will fetch big $$. However, even though your group includes several other HOFers, I think you may be surprised as to how few $$ the other Herps cards will fetch. I say this because (1) 1921 Herps cards are too scarce for a collector to attempt to complete a set of them - scarcity often works against a card's value, (2) there are several other, identical, but scarcer 1921 issues - e.g., Leader Theatre, Haffner's Bread, Gassler's Bread, Clark's Bread, etc. that don't sell for all that much, and (3) most pre-War collectors (but not me) prefer the very colorful cards created by artists to the real-photo, black & white cards.

BTW, I'm thrilled to see that your find does not include a WaJo card, as I love having 1-of-1 cards. On the other hand, I'm saddened to note that your find includes a Sam Rice card. Oh well, one can't win them all!

Hey ValKehl - Thanks for your note. You make some good points there. Hard to tell what they might go for these days. Glad I didn't uptick your WaJo, but as far as the Sam Rice goes (E.C. Rice?)... maybe you'll wind up with 2 of 2? That would be almost as cool as having 1 of 1. :)

ValKehl 02-23-2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atari (Post 1857697)
Hey ValKehl - Thanks for your note. You make some good points there. Hard to tell what they might go for these days. Glad I didn't uptick your WaJo, but as far as the Sam Rice goes (E.C. Rice?)... maybe you'll wind up with 2 of 2? That would be almost as cool as having 1 of 1. :)

Yes, HOFer Edgar Charles Rice is better known as Sam Rice.

glchen 02-23-2019 08:58 PM

Wow, cool, that's an awesome find! I love seeing new cards like this coming out.

bbcard1 02-23-2019 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atari (Post 1857479)
Hard to judge the value of a good one-of-a-kind industry press release :)

Which of the 3 major services can currently issue a press release with nicely edited youtube video of them grading this lot? Would you watch that video?

I work in the industry and the press would not be as valuable as you might think. The major card companies have a huge backlog so they are not hurting for business. If you found a new grading company looking to make a splash, maybe, but they would not enhance the value to the degree of the big three.

Atari 02-23-2019 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1857660)
https://www.psacard.com/auctionprice...sheimers/40209
The only ones PSA would have images of are the ones that have sold at auction that they're tracking through Auction Prices Realized or if people upload them to their website for a Set Registry. Maybe in an old SMR magazine article if someone allowed them to be photographed.
Other places to check: worthpoint, Sports Collectors Daily, PWCC marketplace, VCP, Google, etc.

Thanks for the tips! So far no luck finding that other Ruth anywhere other than the PSA listing. Would be nice if they had more detail on it like when it was last seen/graded.

swarmee 02-24-2019 04:02 AM

One trick you can try is to find the cert numbers of the other cards you have found, like in the APR page on PSA's website. Then with the cert number of a known card from the set, you can type in nearby numbers to see if it was submitted with other from the set at the same time. I remember cert numbers starting with 90,000,000 and ones around 11,000,000 from the couple I spotted last night. Once you've found those, you can figure out which year it was submitted by finding modern cards that were submitted around the same cert numbers. It's a little tedious, but there is a workaround.

xplainer 02-24-2019 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atari (Post 1857637)
He says, 5 pages later. ;)

Maybe you're right... instead of 1700 views over 5 pages of threads in just 8 hours we could have done better.

Posted after reading the thread all the way through.
Seems that is the correct way to do it.

Atari 10-05-2023 07:46 AM

Been going back over this thread and the broader 1921 Herpolsheimer's saga a bit more because these cards will be going to auction very soon. I'll let the auctioneer who has them make the official announcement, but I think they're in the best hands they could be in, especially in terms of knowledge and passion for these nearly impossible to find cards.

btw, it took quite some time to get to this point because my uncle unfortunately was unexpectedly diagnosed with stage IV liver cancer and died 20 days later in 2020. We have been going through mourning of his loss and the whole probate process since then. Really sucks as he was like my dad and big brother and best buddy all in one. He was a collector of many things and an auction goer himself. He would have really loved to watch the sale of these cards. RIP. :(

Seven 10-05-2023 08:08 AM

Always amazed at some of the finds that pop up on the boards. Absolutely incredible! I'm sorry for the loss of your uncle. I hope you have been able to find some closure.

Yoda 10-05-2023 10:24 AM

Put them on the B/T/S thread raw. They look good to me and you will save a bundle on grading fees.

calvindog 10-05-2023 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2378509)
Put them on the B/T/S thread raw. They look good to me and you will save a bundle on grading fees.

I have dibs on Ruth.

Madi$on18joshua 10-05-2023 03:14 PM

So sorry for your loss, sounds like he would have really enjoyed watching the auction! which auction house are they with, I would love to make a go at a couple.

NonSportDaniel 10-05-2023 07:11 PM

Maybe the auction house can auction them as a group, and as individual cards and whichever goes for more will decide who wins them.

Sorry for your loss. I lost both of my parents in the last three years. Sucks getting old.

autograf 10-06-2023 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NonSportDaniel (Post 2378649)
Maybe the auction house can auction them as a group, and as individual cards and whichever goes for more will decide who wins them.

Now, THAT's funny Daniel.

Well, one good thing in your favor is that during Covid, Ruth cards went up exponentially. Best of luck with the sale and disbursement of the funds to family. Sorry for the loss of your uncle.

Brian Van Horn 11-03-2023 02:01 PM

Not meant to rhyme but overjoyed to avoid.