Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Commerce Comet's 1952 Topps #311 meteoric rise in value (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=304863)

russkcpa 08-25-2021 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foo3112 (Post 2137349)
PSA 6 finished at 150K (includes BP).

Had that been centered it would have fetched over $200K

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-25-2021 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2138034)
As close to a lock as there is in this hobby. This card goes for > $50k. Mark my words.

We figured obviously top of the mark for that grade, but I wasn't quite that optimistic. I'm rooting for you to be right!

We literally could've offered a reward at the National for an explanation for the grade and it would've gone unclaimed, and you KNOW how people love to find what you miss on a card. There is a 1" wrinkle (doesn't show on the back at all) down from the center of the top border to about the level of his eyebrows that you can sort of make out in the scan, but since when does that result in a 1.5?

Johnny630 08-25-2021 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2138059)
We figured obviously top of the mark for that grade, but I wasn't quite that optimistic. I'm rooting for you to be right!

We literally could've offered a reward at the National for an explanation for the grade and it would've gone unclaimed, and you KNOW how people love to find what you miss on a card. There is a 1" wrinkle (doesn't show on the back at all) down from the center of the top border to about the level of his eyebrows that you can sort of make out in the scan, but since when does that result in a 1.5?

Scott if you were the right submitter you would have got a different grade. Most likely the 3 or on a good day 4 range.

Republicaninmass 08-25-2021 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 2138108)
Scott if you were the right submitter you would have got a different grade. Most likely the 3 or on a good day 4 range.

Dont worry, someone will cite "eye appeal" and pay 3 or 4 money for it.

MattyC 08-25-2021 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 2138118)
Dont worry, someone will cite "eye appeal" and pay 3 or 4 money for it.

Yes, agreed; that card will do just fine as people can see and buy the card not the holder on that one all day. Should be one of those pieces that sells for the price of a higher grade without problem.

investinrookies 08-25-2021 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2138034)
As close to a lock as there is in this hobby. This card goes for > $50k. Mark my words.

If the card was centered it would go for 50k+ easy. Centered 52T Mantles are extremely hard to find and command huge premiums. That being said, any nice 52T Mantles are hard to find. Nicer copies continue to command more money

investinrookies 08-30-2021 06:45 PM

Commerce Comet's 1952 Topps #311 meteoric rise in value

Prices are getting so high on this card the average collector almost has to sell everything just to get a nice copy. Guess you have to ask yourself if it’s worth it to you and does it have the upside vs holding other lower priced cards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foo3112 08-31-2021 01:50 AM

Or sell their entire collection just to get even an authentic one. Me personally, couldn’t sell a bunch of stuff just to acquire even a PSA 1 or even most PSA 2’s. At least not one that looks like it’s been through a washer. It would have to look like one that perhaps has a pinhole or paper loss on the back and then still, lots of people would fight over that copy and it would still sell in the range of a PSA 2 or slightly higher.

Snowman 08-31-2021 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by investinrookies (Post 2140007)
Prices are getting so high on this card the average collector almost has to sell everything just to get a nice copy. Guess you have to ask yourself if it’s worth it to you and does it have the upside vs holding other lower priced cards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's just getting started...

rjackson44 08-31-2021 05:11 AM

1953 are getting crazy too ,

Republicaninmass 08-31-2021 06:33 AM

Same pumpers, not many dumpers.

Signed 52 mick in heritage estimate was 200k and only hit 138k. Only so much hype can keep driving them up.

MattyC 08-31-2021 06:59 AM

That Heritage estimate isn’t really a sign of anything other than their not taking too much time/thought to formulate it. As much as a collector I want prices low, it’s worth noting that the signed 51 Mantle blew away the estimate at 200k+. As a collector of signed Mantle cards, and having talked with others doing his signed run, it seems guys were not head over heels for the vertical positioning of the signature on the 138k 52T. I know I only bid it to 105k, because I prefer a horizontal signature if I am paying top dollar. If that same signature was horizontal I would have gone higher. And even higher if the card itself was nicer. So I think Heritage didn’t take the signature orientation/placement and its effect on eye appeal into account when they formulated that estimate.

That said, I thought for a “1” with a vertical signature, it sold in line with past prices; the better looking prior card to sell, with a higher grade signature, went for a little north of 200. And before that a 4 with a great 9 signature sold for 227. So 138k pre tax for a 1/8 didn’t seem like any kind of drop to me, especially with the 51 shattering the estimate. Sadly for someone who is rooting for lower prices, I think the performance of the 51 and the setting a 130-140k bar for even a 1/8 of the 52t, means there is no dip in which to get a good buy on the horizon.

But Ted if you are bearish PLEASE sell me yours bro! It’ll be LOVED ;)