Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Love of the Game Auction How did you do (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=307174)

robertsmithnocure 08-30-2021 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2139813)
Phil, wonder if the CJ Alexander was so strong because many thought it was his rookie card, when we know it is the T222 with that great pitching pose. The Speaker was also gangbusters. What a terrific card.

What am I missing? Weren’t his T222 and CJ both issued in 1914?

Kidnapped18 08-30-2021 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2139823)
The Alexander is a tough card especially in good condition and a key card in the set, I think there were a couple of set builders that needed that card.

+1
Agreed the 1914 CJ Alexander will always be a tough card and carry a significant premium lots of collectors would like to add one to their collections

Kidnapped18 08-30-2021 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertsmithnocure (Post 2139933)
What am I missing? Weren’t his T222 and CJ both issued in 1914?

Yes both are 1914 cards...Old Pete made his MLB debut in 1911

I know he has Tom Barker/National Game cards from 1913 also

The 1914 CJ will always bring strong prices in any grade

Webster 08-31-2021 07:49 AM

V351

If anyone here won the lot of V351 Canadian Goudey Premiums I would be very interested in purchasing a couple of the common players. Have a few high grade examples to offer in trade as well - including Dean and V DiMaggio. Please shoot me a PM.

Exhibitman 08-31-2021 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianclat11 (Post 2139772)
Nice Adam!

Two things you should never mention on a first date are Star Trek and baseball card collecting. Found that out the hard way...

Spock is the patron saint of Aspergers folks like me and my daughter.

On one occasion my wife (who is neurotypical) was in a snit and blurted out that living with my daughter and me is like living with two Vulcans. My daughter said "She's highly illogical. Why did you marry her?" I replied "It seemed like the logical thing to do at the time." My wife was not amused...Humans, am I right?

mrreality68 08-31-2021 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exhibitman (Post 2140133)
two things you should never mention on a first date are star trek and baseball card collecting. Found that out the hard way...

Spock is the patron saint of aspergers folks like me and my daughter.

On one occasion my wife (who is neurotypical) was in a snit and blurted out that living with my daughter and me is like living with two vulcans. My daughter said "she's highly illogical. Why did you marry her?" i replied "it seemed like the logical thing to do at the time." my wife was not amused...humans, am i right?

To True and To Funny

dstudeba 08-31-2021 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2140133)
On one occasion my wife (who is neurotypical) was in a snit and blurted out that living with my daughter and me is like living with two Vulcans. My daughter said "She's highly illogical. Why did you marry her?" I replied "It seemed like the logical thing to do at the time." My wife was not amused...Humans, am I right?

Excellent. And congrats on the Cobb and Joss!

perezfan 08-31-2021 10:23 AM

Quote:

Two things you should never mention on a first date are Star Trek and baseball card collecting. Found that out the hard way...

I would add The Three Stooges to that list. Still waiting to meet a female fan.

And if you delve into music, Devo is another that can quickly kill a first date. :p

ballparks 08-31-2021 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnaz01 (Post 2139559)
Super happy to have won this!!

Gorgeous item. I am friends with the artist and her husband here in Vancouver.

I won 2 lots - the pair of 1942 WS tickets and the 1926 game 3 WS ticket.

68Hawk 08-31-2021 01:51 PM

Quote:

Great Story and Telling!:D

Peter_Spaeth 08-31-2021 01:57 PM

Quote:

At my brother's wedding, I concluded my toast with "live long and prosper," to mixed reviews.

nolemmings 08-31-2021 02:19 PM

I remember long ago when I was trying my hand at fixing the garbage disposal and my then wife and very little girl were growing impatient. Paraphrasing Scotty I pulled out my best brogue and said " I can't change the laws of physics, I've got to have twenty minutes". The wife's eyes rolled and the daughter looked genuinely concerned about me.

Carter08 08-31-2021 03:08 PM

Seeing those Star Trek cards just opened up another rabbit hole for me. Beautiful cards. Speaking of rabbit holes, I picked up the 48 Leaf lot on LOTG.

Exhibitman 08-31-2021 03:08 PM

Dan: thanks. Two big wants off my want list.

Peter: At a friend's wedding the court of which I was part were all sci fi geeks and we ended the ceremony with a Klingon salute. That crowd loved it.

Todd: I often have the same experience with my wife when I quote the wisdom of Spock, Kirk or Scotty. Speaking of brogues, when fixing something I always go with the Brogan Adjustment. Our super in the apartment building where I grew up was Irish and had a heavy shoe with his tools. When something didn't quite fit he'd hammer it with his shoe (brogan) a few times and knock it into place. He told me it was a Brogan Adjustment. My wife is a native Californian and had never heard of that I guess, so the first time I pulled off my shoe and whacked a piece of IKEA furniture into square while doing my best Irish brogue she had quite a laugh.

Exhibitman 08-31-2021 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carter08 (Post 2140281)
I picked up the 48 Leaf lot on LOTG.

Yes, young Jedi. Welcome to the Dark Side...

Mark17 08-31-2021 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 2140260)
I remember long ago when I was trying my hand at fixing the garbage disposal and my then wife and very little girl were growing impatient. Paraphrasing Scotty I pulled out my best brogue and said " I can't change the laws of physics, I've got to have twenty minutes". The wife's eyes rolled and the daughter looked genuinely concerned about me.

When we were in college one of the many get-rich-quick schemes we dreamed up (but never did) was a doorbell that, when pushed, would have Bones' voice saying "Dammit, I'm a doctor, not a doorbell..."

Peter_Spaeth 08-31-2021 03:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 2140284)
When we were in college one of the many get-rich-quick schemes we dreamed up (but never did) was a doorbell that, when pushed, would have Bones' voice saying "Dammit, I'm a doctor, not a doorbell..."

LOL. One of my favorites along those lines was I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer.

And... here is my Kirk and Spock card.

Hankphenom 08-31-2021 05:01 PM

Quote:

My best story along those lines happened with a date at the movies watching "Monty Python and the Holy Grail." She sat stone-faced through most of it while I was flailing around in my seat with laughter, then announced during the "Black Knight" scene that she was leaving. If she hadn't also been a friend and co-worker, I probably would have just let her go. "None shall pass!" indeed. Had a similar experience watching "Dr. Strangelove" with a lady, who didn't see the humor in a single second of it. Good lessons in how different from one another we can be in our perceptions and tastes.

Hankphenom 08-31-2021 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2140178)
I would add The Three Stooges to that list. Still waiting to meet a female fan. And if you delve into music, Devo is another that can quickly kill a first date. :p

You can add Bob Dylan--the GOAT in my book--to that list. Near-universal scorn from the ladies in my experience, and rightly so if you are listening to the words.
I doubt many guys are big fans of Alanis Morissette, either.

Hankphenom 08-31-2021 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 2140260)

Brilliant!

ngrow9 08-31-2021 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2140317)
You can add Bob Dylan--the GOAT in my book--to that list. Near-universal scorn from the ladies in my experience, and rightly so if you are listening to the words.

My wife is actually a huge Dylan fan. So they're out there.

Snapolit1 08-31-2021 06:17 PM

Quote:

I'd happily see Alanis Morissette any night of the week live over Bob Dylan. She just played in NJ to rave reviews. Dylan is great live if you want to hear 2.5 hours of a guy "singing" through his nose with his back turned to the audience.

Peter_Spaeth 08-31-2021 06:36 PM

Quote:

No woman is capable of understanding Steely Dan.:cool:

bobbyw8469 08-31-2021 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2140344)

I think everyone woman understands a Steely Dan....lol

BobC 08-31-2021 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2140344)

And that's why you go with Ozzy and Sabbath! Remember Ozzfest well. :D

Peter_Spaeth 08-31-2021 09:32 PM

The great thing about Steely Dan was that often their lyrics didn't make much sense -- inside references or Fagan riffing on nothing -- yet somehow they made perfect sense. Same with the (IMO) very underrated folk rock group America.

todeen 08-31-2021 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2139469)
This was my other pickup and my first Christy card for my collection

Congrats! I'm still waiting for my first Matty. I have a T202 end piece, but I'm not considering that a real card for inventory purposes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

todeen 08-31-2021 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete zouras (Post 2139491)
but ended up with just one--t207 speaker

Congrats, that's one I need still for my Speaker collection.

wondo 09-01-2021 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackandgold (Post 2139675)
Small potatoes compared to most of the pickups here, but he was my favorite player when I was a kid, and it’s my first Venezuelan Topps.
Attachment 476246

Awesome card!

Exhibitman 09-01-2021 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2140340)
I'd happily see Alanis Morissette any night of the week live over Bob Dylan. She just played in NJ to rave reviews. Dylan is great live if you want to hear 2.5 hours of a guy "singing" through his nose with his back turned to the audience.

Ditto. She rocks.

mrreality68 09-01-2021 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 2140400)
Congrats! I'm still waiting for my first Matty. I have a T202 end piece, but I'm not considering that a real card for inventory purposes.

I would consider that a real card. And A nice looking card also

todeen 09-01-2021 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2140618)
I would consider that a real card. And A nice looking card also

Yes, it's nice looking. But in my mind I'd like a full card and not 1/3 of a card.

brianp-beme 09-01-2021 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 2140667)
Yes, it's nice looking. But in my mind I'd like a full card and not 1/3 of a card.

I vote for T202 end panels being a full card, because that is what the collective cutters/rippers of the panels considered them to be 100 years ago or so.

Just for fun, here is a thread I started almost a decade ago about these cards:

https://net54baseball.com/showthread...light=t202+end

Brian

ALBB 09-01-2021 05:30 PM

auction

grabbed everything I could this time

jgmp123 09-02-2021 10:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy to add this 1921 New York Giants Polo Grounds Season Pass...Only missing one World Series ticket in my collection (1920-2020), so I grabbed this to serve as the 1921 example until I find a good one in auction.

todeen 09-02-2021 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 2140674)
I vote for T202 end panels being a full card, because that is what the collective cutters/rippers of the panels considered them to be 100 years ago or so.

Just for fun, here is a thread I started almost a decade ago about these cards:

https://net54baseball.com/showthread...light=t202+end

Brian

I did not know that!

Hankphenom 09-02-2021 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ngrow9 (Post 2140327)
My wife is actually a huge Dylan fan. So they're out there.

Smart gal, and yes, there are plenty out there, as well as tons of guys who like Alanis, as evidenced above.

Hankphenom 09-02-2021 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2140340)

It's been ten years since I've seen Bob live, but did see him many times over the years, and your description has nothing in common with any of the shows I was at. Fabulous bands that always rocked the house like crazy doing the best catalog of songs of anybody ever, is more like it. He might turn his back on occasion to communicate something to his band, but otherwise he was always front and center and would engage the audience when he felt like it. His damaged voice has been cringeworthy for some time now, and he might not have ever been to your taste, but I'll take his version of any of his classic songs over even the best cover versions by other artists. I'm sure Alanis is great to see, but you'd have to go back to the 1980s to catch Dylan at her age now, so that comparison is hardly apt. And I'm guessing she would be the first to discourage any attempt at comparison of the two of them in terms of musical stature or historical significance.

Clydewally 09-02-2021 05:41 PM

After many years of great Dylan concerts, I hit a patch where the voice got to the point that I gave up going. But my daughter in law had never seen him live and I went again about three years ago to find that he was in surprisingly good voice. Maybe the recent years of covering Sinatra and similar crooners helped him regain some of his groove.

Anyway, I am in the Dylan is the GOAT category and I like Alanis Morisette too.

Peter_Spaeth 09-02-2021 06:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I am a huge Dylan fan, but what is the category if he is the GOAT?

Two of his "rookie" cards below btw. Took me many years to find.

Yoda 09-03-2021 09:19 AM

Bob Dylan is, and will always remain, the Poet Laureate of my generation.

Hankphenom 09-03-2021 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2141069)
I am a huge Dylan fan, but what is the category if he is the GOAT? Two of his "rookie" cards below btw. Took me many years to find.

The category would be musical artists. What's the story on that card? That might be the best picture of Bob I've ever seen, probably by Michael Ochs, his more or less "official" photographer in the early days.

Hankphenom 09-03-2021 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2141237)
Bob Dylan is, and will always remain, the Poet Laureate of my generation.

It's my opinion that with the passage of time his writing will be compared favorably to Shakespeare's. And then you have the music thrown in--all those fabulous tunes, and he is grotesquely underrated as a guitar and harp player.

obcmac 09-03-2021 10:08 AM

So basically our mutual love of Bob Dylan brought my wife and I together...and the first time she came over to my place, she spent a half hour looking at my baseball cards...I guess I win ;-)

Hankphenom 09-03-2021 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obcmac (Post 2141254)
So basically our mutual love of Bob Dylan brought my wife and I together...and the first time she came over to my place, she spent a half hour looking at my baseball cards...I guess I win ;-)

That's great. Imagine how many thousands of relationships and marriages began with meeting at one of Bob's concerts over these 60 years?

Peter_Spaeth 09-03-2021 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2141249)
The category would be musical artists. What's the story on that card? That might be the best picture of Bob I've ever seen, probably by Michael Ochs, his more or less "official" photographer in the early days.

French cards from 1964 or possibly 1965.

Peter_Spaeth 09-03-2021 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2141251)
It's my opinion that with the passage of time his writing will be compared favorably to Shakespeare's. And then you have the music thrown in--all those fabulous tunes, and he is grotesquely underrated as a guitar and harp player.

At least during the 60s and 70s he was also a great singer. A number of great singers did not have good voices, and vice versa.

Hankphenom 09-03-2021 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2141265)
At least during the 60s and 70s he was also a great singer. A number of great singers did not have good voices, and vice versa.

The way I think of it is this: who else would you want singing those great songs? The answer is: nobody else.

Hankphenom 09-03-2021 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2141261)
French cards from 1964 or possibly 1965.

Tres cool!

Peter_Spaeth 09-03-2021 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2141407)
The way I think of it is this: who else would you want singing those great songs? The answer is: nobody else.

He wrote a few songs that I think only Baez actually recorded/performed, like Love is Just a Four Letter Word.