Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Flannels Flannels Flannels (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=323305)

perezfan 09-05-2022 03:12 PM

Those PCL Jerseys are all stunners. Can’t stop looking at the Angels in particular. All 3 are just gorgeous examples!

I do love vintage pennants, but Flannels like the ones pictured in this thread are perhaps the ultimate segment in the hobby.

Hankphenom 09-05-2022 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2260770)
Thanks Hank! That’s amazing info. I will need to re-watch Damn Yankees! in its entirety soon. Such a great take on “Faust” and one of my Dad’s very favorites. He grew up in DC and hated the Yankees with a passion. He was also an accomplished musician, so the film really resonated with him. Can’t wait to see the real-life Sievers Homer. Ya gotta have heart!

I must have read "The Year The Yankees Lost The Pennant" five or six times as a kid. I'm sure there were many hot summer nights when I would read it, then go sit on the roof over our porch, waiting for a breeze and listening to the game on my transistor radio, just like Joe Boyd sitting on his porch at the beginning of the book when Applegate comes along. Sievers ran out his homers with his head down with humility, but Joe Hardy does it because he doesn't want the fans to see that he is suddenly middle-aged again, thanks to Applegate. Wouldn't that be something if that's your jersey he's wearing in the movie! What was you dad's musical history?

yanks4 09-06-2022 08:44 PM

More flannels

2 Attachment(s)
Love the PCL.......Thanks for sharing

1939 Cardinals......Shoun....Pitcher
1946 Redlegs........Gowdy....Coach

seattlerainiers 09-07-2022 10:08 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2260771)
Those PCL Jerseys are all stunners. Can’t stop looking at the Angels in particular. All 3 are just gorgeous examples!

I do love vintage pennants, but Flannels like the ones pictured in this thread are perhaps the ultimate segment in the hobby.

Thanks Mark & Marty. Wonderful jerseys from all who've posted. Sensory overload!

Here are a few more of my favorites from the Coast League.

1935 Mission Reds: Otho Nitcholas
1935 Portland Beavers: Bill Posedel
1940 Seattle Rainiers: Jack Lelivelt

Keep 'em coming!

Dave

yanks4 09-09-2022 07:53 AM

Pcl

Dave those are very special Thirties Era flannel jerseys.

Thank you for participating!

yanks4 09-20-2022 07:16 AM

Flannels continued

3 Attachment(s)
Come on some of you guys share your flannels.....

LEHR 09-22-2022 02:39 PM

Awesome thread and so many great flannels!

ksfarmboy 09-22-2022 05:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here’s another one.

JimmyC 09-23-2022 07:54 AM

Love that patch!

Chris Counts 09-23-2022 08:54 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I agree, shoulder patches are awesome ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyC (Post 2266650)
Love that patch!

guy3050 02-16-2023 09:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just got this Bill Stoneman 1972 Expos Road Jersey,I have a few questions, I have no experience with preserving Flannel Jerseys , is it ok to get the jersey sign, also will framing the jersey cause damage over the long run?

JimmyC 02-16-2023 09:32 AM

Beautiful Stoneman....Congrats! I personally do not like jerseys of any material signed - but that's a personal preference....I have never had a flannel signed in front of me, so I don't know what protocol is for handling.....Others out here may have some ideas for you.....

Regarding framing, I would suggest frames where she is hung and not flattened and mounted....You can't go wrong that way....Also - I only have a few jerseys in frames....The rest are on mannequins which I prefer over frames by far.....That's the way I would go if you like that look...

Congrats again!

perezfan 02-16-2023 11:22 AM

I would not mess with that pristine Stoneman flannel in any way... do not let an ink marker anywhere near that thing. Signing it can be messy if the pen gets caught up in the cloth. And the flannel is not really conducive to being signed... it's a lousy medium for ink.

I would leave it exactly as-is, and just enjoy it. If you feel you need Stoneman's auto, get it on a photo, and display it alongside the jersey. I agree with JimmyC, that it would be best displayed on a mannequin. That way, you can see front and back, and you'll get that coveted 3D effect. Don't degrade it by flattening it inside a frame. It's a tremendous find, and congrats on acquiring it!

guy3050 02-16-2023 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2315102)
I would not mess with that pristine Stoneman flannel in any way... do not let an ink marker anywhere near that thing. Signing it can be messy if the pen gets caught up in the cloth. And the flannel is not really conducive to being signed... it's a lousy medium for ink.

I would leave it exactly as-is, and just enjoy it. If you feel you need Stoneman's auto, get it on a photo, and display it alongside the jersey. I agree with JimmyC, that it would be best displayed on a mannequin. That way, you can see front and back, and you'll get that coveted 3D effect. Don't degrade it by flattening it inside a frame. It's a tremendous find, and congrats on acquiring it!

Thanks, I will be sitting with Bill Stoneman at a Gala in April, I already have some cool items for him to sign, thanks for your suggestion the Jersey will remain unsign!

JimmyC 02-16-2023 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2315102)

Well - perezfan picked up my slack and was a little more "direct" - and I agree! Thanks perezfan! Let that beauty stand on its own!!! Congrats again!

icollectDCsports 02-16-2023 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guy3050 (Post 2315113)
Thanks, I will be sitting with Bill Stoneman at a Gala in April, I already have some cool items for him to sign, thanks to your suggestion the Jersey will remain unsign!

Whew! I whole heartedly agree with the advice from others and am very happy you've found it helpful. A game worn jersey is just such a special item on its own that it doesn't need any additional adornment to enhance its appeal. Signatures on jerseys are best left to replica jerseys, which are then given some personal connection to the player that they didn't already have.
And gaudy inscriptions can make the situation even worse. Ideally in my opinion, game worn jerseys should be preserved and displayed as close to as they appeared on the field. As for the manner of display, I cringe when I see a game worn jersey creased and squished in a frame, with much of it hidden from view. There are frames that are actually more like boxes with glass on the front that allow for a jersey on a hanger to be inserted so that the front can easily be opened so the jersey can be removed for viewing in its entirety. Best yet, as has been suggested, is placing a game worn jersey on a mannequin or partial bust so that it can be seen as the three dimensional artifact that it is. Just my opinion.

JimmyC 02-16-2023 01:40 PM

Jerseys look so much better on mannequins....here is a comparison.....I am fortunate to have 20 mannequins displayed.....Big difference IMHO than placing in frames...

https://i.imgur.com/pb9lbq2.jpg

icollectDCsports 02-16-2023 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyC (Post 2315158)
Jerseys look so much better on mannequins....here is a comparison.....I am fortunate to have 20 mannequins displayed.....Big difference IMHO than placing in frames...

Agree. Quite the contrast.

JoeDfan 02-17-2023 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is an awesome thread!
Mostly I collect GU bats, but I have a few jerseys too. These two are by far my favorites.
From an often overlooked part of baseball history, the Japanese-American Nisei leagues.

JimmyC 02-18-2023 07:22 AM

Wow! Very nice JoeDFan - never seen anything like those!

Jim65 02-18-2023 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeDfan (Post 2315445)
This is an awesome thread!
Mostly I collect GU bats, but I have a few jerseys too. These two are by far my favorites.
From an often overlooked part of baseball history, the Japanese-American Nisei leagues.

Love those

puckpaul 02-27-2023 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyC (Post 2251699)
Here are a few "laying around the house"......Frisella, McGraw, Clendenon and McAndrew.....

https://i.imgur.com/Z6F96gR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/MO0kjQg.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/nBZ5YTy.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/xU1HMAK.jpg

These are all fabulous, Jimmy. If i didnt just collect hockey wools and jerseys….

perezfan 02-27-2023 11:59 AM

Agree... Jimmy's Mets Flannels are off the charts!

They are so tough to find, and that ratio seems representative of examples that have survived.... about 3 road flannels for every one home pinstripe that surfaces. Must've taken quite a while to hunt down those 4 jerseys!

yanks4 03-02-2023 03:00 PM

Glad the thread got revived!!!

3 Attachment(s)
1964 Buffalo Bisons
Syracuse. 20s ? No number
Cornell. 20s ? No number

yanks4 03-18-2023 01:07 PM

Flannels

3 Attachment(s)
Would love to see more of you share your cool flannels...