Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Best 1960s Non-Topps Set? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=327187)

BobC 11-07-2022 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lampertb (Post 2281426)
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.
I don't like the fact that there's no Mantle or Killebrew, but overall it looks like '63 Fleer is the probable winner. I'll just get a Topps Mantle or something to pop in there... a lil' mix and match to fill the holes.

One of these days (later days) I'm going to rebuild the '71 Topps set that I had, but sold. Boy, wish I'd never done that....

Thanks again, all.

Richard,

I think '63 Fleer is your best, wisest choice, in looking at what you're trying to do. And even though Mantle isn't in the original set, as another poster pointed out, there is a 1998 Fleer Tradition fantasy card #67 of Mantle that fits in perfectly with the original '63 set. And another quick Ebay search turns up three of those Mantles for sale right now. Two BINs for $14.99 or $9.99, and both with free shipping, and one auction with a $2.95 opening bid and a $4.95 shipping charge, and no bids so far, and which ends this Thursday. So, you should easily be able to fill that Mantle void for less than $10.00.

And another great choice I think if you go with the '71 Topps set for your '70's set. I don't believe there is a comparable non-Topps or non-Topps related set issued in the '70's that goes along with your earlier decade choices otherwise. However, nice condition hi-number '71's can be a little difficult, and pricey, depending a lot on how condition sensitive you are. As a possible back-up/alternative, I'd suggest the '72 Topps set then, for the rather unique and outstanding card design if nothing else.

And if you do decide to move forward to the '80's and later decades then, your non-Topps options are wide open. Have fun!

mikemb 11-07-2022 03:20 PM

It's a great set.

I got mine about 40 years ago in an Irv Lerner auction.

Mike

G1911 11-07-2022 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lampertb (Post 2281454)
Yup, just found out about this insert set. Honestly, that seals the deal! I'm excited.

Good luck on your chase, it’s a very fun little set to put together.

nolemmings 11-08-2022 09:50 AM

I see that I'm late to the show, and it seems you already made up your mind, but allow me to throw in another vote for the '63 stat back Exhibits. The Fleer set is gorgeous, but the Exhibits from 1963 have an incredible player selection. Made up of nearly 1/3 HOFers, it includes the Mantle and Killebrew you mentioned, along with Musial and Aaron, who are not found in Fleer (which has rather modest HOF representation). Like Fleer, it has the Maury Wills following his incredible MVP season, and has Maris as well, along with Ken Hubbs not long before his tragic demise. The set is comparatively inexpensive and is a reminder of a genre of cards that dates back to the 20's yet the stat backs make it distinguishable.
Good luck in your quest.