Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Slightly OT: Snipe issues on eBay (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=193265)

bobbyw8469 09-04-2014 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chernieto (Post 1318314)
I hate to ask, but curiosity is getting the better of me: Did you cancel the transaction?
Thanks
Paul C.

Nope....I shipped the card. Like my story stated, the guy played by the rules. He deserves the card. That would be the same if I went to play bingo and the weather stopped the competition from going. If there were only 3 people in the building, and I hit the coverall jackpot, I would expect to get paid. It is sorta the same thing I guess.

chernieto 09-04-2014 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1318317)
Nope....I shipped the card. Like my story stated, the guy played by the rules. He deserves the card. That would be the same if I went to play bingo and the weather stopped the competition from going. If there were only 3 people in the building, and I hit the coverall jackpot, I would expect to get paid. It is sorta the same thing I guess.

I respect your decision 100%++ . Complete integrity-
Thanks!

bobbyw8469 09-04-2014 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chernieto (Post 1318320)
I respect your decision 100%++ . Complete integrity-
Thanks!

Trust me - it absolutely sucks having to sell a card with a market value of around $1,000-$1350 ($1,350 was a BIN as recently as 3 months ago) for "only" $800. And then have to pay a 12% penalty on top of that! The buyer was one of the biggest card dealers on Ebay. I am sure it will be an easy and profitable flip for him. I'm not mad at the buyer at all. I am mad at Ebay for throttling snipes and not allowing them to go through. I wouldn't mind if Ebay would refund me the difference. It would be easy for them to do, since they charge me around $1,000 per month in fees anyway. I expect to have as much success in that as I do getting Kate Upton's phone number and getting her to eat Japanese with me.

ATP 09-04-2014 11:54 PM

Honestly, the last year or two I had a lot of faith in the ebay no reserve, let the market yield what it will, auctions for nice items. Sometimes better than expected. This last weeks issues changed that for me. I would have have left so much on the table ( had items on very modest reserve with no closing bids, yet tons of folks emailing me afterwords about their bids not working) that I would have a absorbed a huge lose because of the bid issues. That just is not a risk I can take. It's more the reason just to keep adding buy it now items to the ebay museum.

ATP 09-04-2014 11:56 PM

And yes, I sold my items without reneging this week even though the prices were drastically low.

swarmee 09-05-2014 04:31 AM

Well, eBay posted this today:
http://announcements.ebay.com/2014/0...84.m2301.l3955

"Earlier today, some eBay users experienced issues when visiting our site. The issue has been resolved and site functionality has now been restored.

Based on our initial investigation, this was the result of a technical issue that occurred during scheduled server maintenance. While many users were unaffected, we know any interruption for our users is frustrating. And we know that some of our affected sellers may have questions about their selling activity; in the coming days, we will provide them with additional information separately on possible fee adjustments and related seller protections.

We’re very sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused to the buyers or sellers involved.

Sincerely,

The eBay Team"

MikeGarcia 09-05-2014 11:15 AM

So it's okay to list an auction now ?

...so then it's safe to list an auction now ?

...and exactly what these ''seller protections'' mentioned ?

...I've read horror stories on this forum about a buyer keeping the item and E-Bay and Paypal refunding his full payment ? How is this remotely possible ?
.. Or is it just an internet legend ?

thecatspajamas 09-06-2014 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeGarcia (Post 1318812)
I've read horror stories on this forum about a buyer keeping the item and E-Bay and Paypal refunding his full payment ? How is this remotely possible ?
.. Or is it just an internet legend ?

Only in rare cases does this happen. I think I've had it happen twice over the years, and in both cases is because the buyer absolutely squawked about having to return the item to get their refund. Ebay finally released the funds back to me AND refunded the buyer (meaning the refund came out of EBay's pocket), and allowed the buyer to keep the item. Again, this is VERY rare, and in my experience, only happens on relatively low-priced items.

Much more common is the scenario of a buyer forcing a return, squawking about having to pay return shipping until the seller finally foots the bill, then the buyer leaves a neg feedback anyway when it's all over. You definitely have to have thick skin when selling on eBay, as they have removed nearly every means for well-meaning sellers to defend themselves from the abusers.

itjclarke 09-22-2014 09:47 PM

Another glitch-- manual bidding

It looks like there may have been some more issues on eBay tonight. I was trying to bid/snipe 4 items, all ending within seconds of eachother. To help counter their ending times being the same, I had 3 devices open- computer, tablet, phone. I was able to enter bids on each, but when trying to confirm the bids, all three screens froze up for several minutes (buttons didn't work, counter/clock froze, etc). Two were using my wifi, but one was 4G so it is doubtful is was just a home wifi issue.

Once my screens started working again, all items had closed. They all sold for less than I'd expect, so not sure if anyone else had similar issues.

Scott36153 09-24-2014 02:43 PM

Wow. Just DDOS attack the servers that the snipe software is on and bam win auctions at low price.

bobbyw8469 11-23-2014 11:01 AM

My 1954 Bowman Ted Williams SGC 5 that recently sold for $820, because Ebay had snipe issues?? Well, it sold last week. $1,395. Thanks ALOT Ebay!!!! God, I wish someone new would come along!

http://img2.sellersourcebook.com/use...jpg?1416765674

ooo-ribay 12-15-2014 12:31 PM

I had two snipes not go through last night. One said "bid not placed" and the other said "bid too low" (it wasn't). Anyone else having these issues (again)?

vthobby 12-15-2014 01:20 PM

esnipe

I use esnipe at least once per week and just won an item using their service. NEVER had an issue.

I swear by it.

peace, mike

ooo-ribay 12-15-2014 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1355038)
I had two snipes not go through last night. One said "bid not placed" and the other said "bid too low" (it wasn't). Anyone else having these issues (again)?

to answer my own question...

"Ebay has evolved their security protocol after their security breach in May and has started the use of random CAPTCHAs. A CAPTCHA (an acronym for "Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart") is a type of challenge-response test used in computing to determine whether or not the user is human. When this occurs, you will see a no bid placed response and the eBay bidding log will note the request for an eBay authorization code. We will keep you updated on the use and frequency of eBay CAPTCHAs as we learn more. Thank you for your understanding."

it would seem to me that the CAPTCHA use would derail ANY sniping service. :(

ooo-ribay 12-16-2014 11:14 AM

sorry for the bump, but the above ^^^ has got me a little freaked out. I missed two snipes, an hour apart, for this same reason (according to tech support). If ebay uses CAPTCHAS a lot, it is going to make ANY sniping service useless. Thoughts?