Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   365 Days of Roberto Clemente (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=249493)

Empty77 01-28-2021 10:16 PM

So these are a little confusing to me, and perhaps could in part explain why for instance PSA won't authenticate them anymore (they will the auto, but just not identify and label the item other than "postcard").

But it seems to be one of the standard "JD McCarthy postcard" often I've seen referenced as "1950-60" in some places.

I think the photo looks like it is from the earliest era b/c he looks that young, but there is at least one other pose of these I think? and they aren't individually copyrighted so it isn't clear when the print run would be just based on looking at the single item. I suspect some out there must know a lot more about these postcards.

The auction listing for this one said it was postmarked '56, which seemed exciting though of course still secondary to the inscription, so I wasn't totally disappointed to get it and looking with a loupe decide I don't think that's right. I can see the oversight, since there is some ink missing from the final digit such that the "0" could be imagined as a "6" and the pre-printed text bisects right through the postmark such that one can imagine a "5" where the "6" is. But in hand I am pretty certain the postmark says "Sep 12 1960" rather than 1956.

So not exactly a rookie-era inscription which would have been icing, but since I can still pretend it was personalized to me, I'm good with it.

71buc 04-01-2021 09:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Posted this in the April pick up thread earlier. Posting it here to add it to the Clemente inventory contained here. This chalk ware memorial bust is a tough find. It’s even more difficult to come by than the Clemente Bank.

hcv123 04-01-2021 10:34 AM

Super tough

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 2088298)
Posted this in the April pick up thread earlier. Posting it here to add it to the Clemente inventory contained here. This chalk ware memorial bust is a tough find. It’s even more difficult to come by than the Clemente Bank.

Nice find Mike! I believe that may only be the 2nd or 3rd I have seen in my collecting lifetime!

rats60 04-01-2021 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcv123 (Post 2088320)
Nice find Mike! I believe that may only be the 2nd or 3rd I have seen in my collecting lifetime!

I never realized it was that tough. I picked up one in the 80s and never gave another thought about it.

docpatlv 04-02-2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 2088298)

That’s a great pickup Mike...eBay?

packs 04-02-2021 11:33 AM

Bought this Clemente ball many years ago. I believe it's from his rookie season:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...4877d1c5_z.jpg

71buc 09-23-2021 10:22 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thought other Clemente collectors in this thread might be interested. I was an under bidder on this by a mere $2500. Perhaps the closing price shouldn’t surprise me so much as I had never seen one of these before, but wow…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15460846632...app-cvip-panel

hcv123 09-23-2021 01:36 PM

Nice Rare item there!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 2147356)
Thought other Clemente collectors in this thread might be interested. I was an under bidder on this by a mere $2500. Perhaps the closing price shouldn’t surprise me so much as I had never seen one of these before, but wow…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15460846632...app-cvip-panel

I had one that I sold years ago. If I recall it was in the $2500 range then. Hard to price as they almost never come up for sale. Ironically, I have seen more Momen Clemente gamers than I have Momen Clemente minis!

docpatlv 09-27-2021 08:08 PM

Sorry you missed out on that Mike. As Howard mentioned, I have seen Momen GU bats, but I don’t recall seeing a Momen mini.

Recent sale?

71buc 10-03-2021 08:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 1754267)
These ties were awarded to the players and front office staff of the 1971 Pirates by team sponsor Iron City Beer. Clemente's facsimile signature is included. This particular tie originated from the estate of Bob Moose. There is also a black version of this tie I saw on display at the Allegheny Club at Three Rivers many years ago. I recall that one belonging to Bob Prince.

Apparently there are blue, red, and black versions of this tie. I picked up the blue one today.

hcv123 10-18-2021 12:15 PM

Good story

2 Attachment(s)
Figured this one comes with a good story, so worth reviving the great one thread!

So about 25 years ago before electronic Ebay sniping there was well, manual sniping - had to set an alarm and mark your calendar, be in front of your computer and hope your internet connection didn't fritz out.

I had found a listing for 2 Puerto Rican winter league yearbooks - I had never seen them before - a 1954 With Roberto Clemente and a 1955 with Willie Mays and Roberto Clemente. The '55 was scheduled to end first. Both of them were sitting at like $100 heading into the auction close. So I am thinking - gosh, I would pay $500 a piece for them. So with 10 seconds left to go, I hit the "place bid" button with my $500 something dollar bid - only to find myself the underbidder!!!! Upset, angry and determined not to lose the '54 I put my snipe in at like $700. on the '54. I won it for ~ $200! I tried reaching out to see who might have won the '55 to try to talk them out of it. No luck even finding where it landed. So it landed on my want list. I can't say I actively searched for it as much as other items, but it remained in the back of my mind and I certainly kept my eye out for one.

Well, Last week our very own Net 54 board member Larry S lists one in the BST here:
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=309045

I ponied up for it as it puts a happy ending to a previously "unfinished" story - received it today and am happy to add it to my collection! Thanks Larry!

..........now where did I put that '54? :eek:

docpatlv 10-18-2021 09:41 PM

Nice pickups Mike & Howard!

scotgreb 10-29-2021 03:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just picked this up (a throw-in with a group of older Pirates yearbooks) -- appears to be from 1971. Scott

Attachment 485235

Attachment 485236

71buc 10-29-2021 09:53 PM

Nice pick up Scott! You don’t see those very often. I have one and seem to recall a squirrel recipe by Mrs. Maz.

scotgreb 11-03-2021 09:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
"It is funny because the squirrel is dead" - Dug (from the movie Up)

Attachment 485957

71buc 12-16-2021 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by docpatlv (Post 1803123)
Great pickups Howard! That uncut sheet is very nice. At first I thought it was the same as the photo I picked up from you, but then I noticed it was slightly different. Any idea who issued the photo you sold me?

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpat...ssueGlossy.jpg

Day 225

Mike, Ever since you posted this piece I have been searching for one for my own collection. At every turn I encountered a dead end. Last month my local card shop asked me to examine some Clemente items they were selling on consignment . I was stunned to see this one among those items. The card and autograph were obtained by the owner when he was a child. He said he got it when his dad took him to a promotional event at a local Pittsburgh department store. He obviously took great care of as its in pristine condition. I was certain that it was an authentic autograph. Nonetheless, for my own peace of mind I decided to make an offer contingent that it pass TPA. It just passed JSA. I sold some non-Pirate items that were not terribly important and closed the deal. To say that I'm thrilled is an understatement. I'm sharing it here because those in my immediate social circle are less than impressed and in disbelief that I actually spent "THAT KND OF MONEY" on a "LITTLE PICTURE" I'm surrounded by Philistines. Happy Holidays to all of my more enlightened friends here on Net54.

71buc 12-16-2021 04:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hcv123 (Post 2155028)
Figured this one comes with a good story, so worth reviving the great one thread!

So about 25 years ago before electronic Ebay sniping there was well, manual sniping - had to set an alarm and mark your calendar, be in front of your computer and hope your internet connection didn't fritz out.

I had found a listing for 2 Puerto Rican winter league yearbooks - I had never seen them before - a 1954 With Roberto Clemente and a 1955 with Willie Mays and Roberto Clemente. The '55 was scheduled to end first. Both of them were sitting at like $100 heading into the auction close. So I am thinking - gosh, I would pay $500 a piece for them. So with 10 seconds left to go, I hit the "place bid" button with my $500 something dollar bid - only to find myself the underbidder!!!! Upset, angry and determined not to lose the '54 I put my snipe in at like $700. on the '54. I won it for ~ $200! I tried reaching out to see who might have won the '55 to try to talk them out of it. No luck even finding where it landed. So it landed on my want list. I can't say I actively searched for it as much as other items, but it remained in the back of my mind and I certainly kept my eye out for one.

Well, Last week our very own Net 54 board member Larry S lists one in the BST here:
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=309045

I ponied up for it as it puts a happy ending to a previously "unfinished" story - received it today and am happy to add it to my collection! Thanks Larry!

..........now where did I put that '54? :eek:

Howard, I just saw your program. That's an awesome piece. Congratulations on that pick up. I'm sure its nice to have that closure. Coincidently, I own a Type I copy of that photo of Willie sliding on the lower right.

hcv123 12-17-2021 07:23 AM

Great pickup Mike!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 2175692)
Mike, Ever since you posted this piece I have been searching for one for my own collection. At every turn I encountered a dead end. Last month my local card shop asked me to examine some Clemente items they were selling on consignment . I was stunned to see this one among those items. The card and autograph were obtained by the owner when he was a child. He said he got it when his dad took him to a promotional event at a local Pittsburgh department store. He obviously took great care of as its in pristine condition. I was certain that it was an authentic autograph. Nonetheless, for my own peace of mind I decided to make an offer contingent that it pass TPA. It just passed JSA. I sold some non-Pirate items that were not terribly important and closed the deal. To say that I'm thrilled is an understatement. I'm sharing it here because those in my immediate social circle are less than impressed and in disbelief that I actually spent "THAT KND OF MONEY" on a "LITTLE PICTURE" I'm surrounded by Philistines. Happy Holidays to all of my more enlightened friends here on Net54.

Thanks for the Kudos on the yearbook. Right back at you on the autographed 71 action card. That Mays photo is pretty cool too. I have also seen (and been the underbidder on) the composite photo used on that page!

docpatlv 12-18-2021 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 2175692)

Mike,

AWESOME pickup!!! Sorry, just getting around to seeing it. There’s not a more deserving collection for it to reside than yours.

I can’t remember the last time I picked up any RC items. It seems as of late I have been buying more cars than cards…:eek::eek::eek:

Great acquisition Mike!!!

71buc 02-01-2022 11:41 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The Roberto Clemente Museum has released a 50th Anniversary calendar that is beautiful. They printed 3000 numbered pieces. The calendar is truly a work of art and any Clemente collector would be impressed and happy to add it to their collection so I thought I would share it here for anyone who might be interested.

Mike

Empty77 02-02-2022 05:49 AM

Thanks for the tip Mike! I ordered one.

hcv123 02-17-2022 07:49 PM

Publications anyone?

6 Attachment(s)
I don't recall if we've delved into publications/magazines /newspapers on this thread (I vaguely recall some of the magazines from Puerto Rico). Anyway, I have a couple of boxes of this kind of stuff. I sent some of the better condition ones to be entombed by CGC and figured I'd share the results. I'll also use it as an opportunity to invite others to share their Clemente related publications!

Empty77 02-18-2022 05:46 PM

They're gorgeous Howard.

There are a surprising number of precursors in the thread for this category. The list can be found mostly in the Catalogue sub-section "Periodicals, books, etc." (post #918). Or there may be a few cross-postings elsewhere.

I haven't checked which of yours are new to the list yet, but I will by the time I get around to the next update. (But as I recall those may be the first slabbed examples shared...)

docpatlv 02-18-2022 05:48 PM

Those are great Howard, especially the first one. How much do they charge to grade magazines?

hcv123 02-19-2022 05:37 PM

Thanks guys. Here is a link to pricing: https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/ser...s/cgc-grading/ which depends on declared value. I've been actively searching for that baseball digest form 72 posted earlier in the thread, which I have as yet been unable to find! Anyone else have some magazines to post - don't have to be graded?

docpatlv 02-20-2022 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcv123 (Post 2198364)
Thanks guys. Here is a link to pricing: https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/ser...s/cgc-grading/ which depends on declared value. I've been actively searching for that baseball digest form 72 posted earlier in the thread, which I have as yet been unable to find! Anyone else have some magazines to post - don't have to be graded?

This one Howard?

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpat...ialEdition.jpg

If so, it is the only one that I have seen. I picked it up at a small, local card show about 10 years ago. I remember being surprised when I saw it, as I had no idea it existed.

docpatlv 02-20-2022 01:34 PM

Here’s one of my favorite rare ones that I posted earlier in the thread. This is also a copy I have only seen once.

1973 Hostos…

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpat...Magazine_1.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpat...gazineBk_1.jpg

71buc 02-20-2022 03:04 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Beautiful stuff Howard as always. I was scrolling through the index of items in this thread and noticed there were no game tickets. Here are my two 3000 hit stubs. I own two for at least another week as the slabbed one is going up for auction next Friday with Goldin. The free range stub was featured in the new Clemente calendar. I just picked up this full ticket to Game 4 of the 1972 NLCS it’s Clemente’s last Homer. Then Clemente Night at Shea, and opening day 1973 when his #21 was retired by the Pirates.

hcv123 02-21-2022 10:03 AM

That's the one

Quote:

Originally Posted by docpatlv (Post 2198546)
This one Howard?

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpat...ialEdition.jpg

If so, it is the only one that I have seen. I picked it up at a small, local card show about 10 years ago. I remember being surprised when I saw it, as I had no idea it existed.

Seems like it "shouldn't" be that elusive, but for some reason is! If you ever want to talk trade - let me know.

Mike K - That is an awesome stub collection! I have been after that Clemente day at Shea for a while to no avail (should've pulled the trigger on one on Ebay a year or 2 ago!). Also just saw a 1970 Clemente day at 3 rivers posted on Ebay - at $600 a little steep for my blood, but cool ticket.

71buc 03-08-2022 07:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Posted this in the March pick up thread on the memorabilia side. Only posting it here to add to the items in this thread. I picked up this cardboard fan. I have never seen one prior to this. As they say if you haven’t seen it before you may never again. With that in mind I purchased it. It originates from a religious theme park named Holy Land in Waterbury Connecticut. The park was active from 1958-1984. It re-opened in 2014.

hcv123 03-08-2022 08:45 PM

Very interesting!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 2203744)
Posted this in the March pick up thread on the memorabilia side. Only posting it here to add to the items in this thread. I picked up this cardboard fan. I have never seen one prior to this. As they say if you haven’t seen it before you may never again. With that in mind I purchased it. It originates from a religious theme park named Holy Land in Waterbury Connecticut. The park was active from 1958-1984. It re-opened in 2014.

I have an example of the fan, but if I recall correctly the one I have is blank backed - the advertising from the theme park I have never seen before - super cool!

a761506 03-08-2022 09:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Bob

71buc 03-08-2022 09:29 PM

Beautiful card

hcv123 03-09-2022 06:15 PM

Showoff

Quote:

Originally Posted by a761506 (Post 2203791)
Bob

:p

Incredible card! Thanks for showing off. Never get tired of seeing it.

71buc 03-10-2022 12:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
A collector on Facebook shared another fan with me. His features advertising for a Louisiana based mortuary. I suspect these may have been sold in bulk as a blank backed advertising piece to be used by a variety of businesses. I think the number on the front might be a catalog number reference.

71buc 05-14-2022 01:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Always happy to find a reason to add to and bump this thread! This is the printing flog used by The Pittsburgh Post Gazette to create the front page of the Oct 18, 1971 newspaper.

docpatlv 05-15-2022 09:27 PM

Couldn’t be in a more deserving collection Mike!

71buc 05-15-2022 11:31 PM

Thanks that’s heady praise coming from you.

Empty77 05-16-2022 03:37 PM

So, that thing is a pop 1 ? :D

71buc 06-30-2022 06:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
July 14, 1956 Roberto Clemente plays second base for the first time in his career. He played second in one other game and third base once.

docpatlv 07-08-2022 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docpatlv (Post 1840463)
Day 363

1972 Sportsline Pittsburgh...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpat...Pittsburgh.jpg

I posted this item earlier in the thread, a 1972 Sportsline Pittsburgh with Roberto on cover. I haven’t picked up any Clemente items in a long time mainly because I have been pursuing other collecting interests. And also because the more items I acquire, the more difficult it is to find something I don’t already have.

So I was browsing through eBay the other day and decided to check for RC items when I came across this next item. Thanks to a great seller Frank (eBay ID: ballpark-frank) I was able to purchase it. He sent me message saying that he had seen this thread & that he gladly accepted my offer. So, if you’re reading this Frank, thanks again for helping me add to the collection.

1973 Sportsline Pittsburgh…

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpat...F9AF5170C.jpeg

71buc 07-08-2022 07:21 PM

Awesome congratulations Mike!

docpatlv 07-08-2022 07:30 PM

Thanks Mike, hope all is well

71buc 07-23-2022 03:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Roberto Clemente wore the number 13 for the first 36 games of his career. He Wore #21 for the first time in a game against Jackie Robinson and the Brooklyn Dodgers on May 24, 1955. The last date we wore #13 was during a Double Header against Willie Mays and the Giants on May 22, 1955. Here is a program to that date.

cgjackson222 07-23-2022 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 2245224)
Roberto Clemente wore the number 13 for the first 36 games of his career. He Wore #21 for the first time in a game against Jackie Robinson and the Brooklyn Dodgers on May 24, 1955. The last date we wore #13 was during a Double Header against Willie Mays and the Giants on May 22, 1955. Here is a program to that date.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

docpatlv 07-23-2022 09:09 PM

Interesting Mike! Have you ever seen a photo of Roberto wearing the # 13?

71buc 07-24-2022 07:54 PM

No I haven’t

hcv123 07-26-2022 06:09 PM

Wow!

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by docpatlv (Post 2240718)
I posted this item earlier in the thread, a 1972 Sportsline Pittsburgh with Roberto on cover. I haven’t picked up any Clemente items in a long time mainly because I have been pursuing other collecting interests. And also because the more items I acquire, the more difficult it is to find something I don’t already have.

So I was browsing through eBay the other day and decided to check for RC items when I came across this next item. Thanks to a great seller Frank (eBay ID: ballpark-frank) I was able to purchase it. He sent me message saying that he had seen this thread & that he gladly accepted my offer. So, if you’re reading this Frank, thanks again for helping me add to the collection.

1973 Sportsline Pittsburgh…

Super cool issue and another I have not seen before!! I do have another Sportsline Pittsburgh issue with Roberto on the Cover I have attached. Sadly the auto isn't genuine.

Great Program Mike! I also have never seen a picture of Clemente wearing #13.

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpat...F9AF5170C.jpeg

docpatlv 07-27-2022 03:33 PM

Howard,

I hadn’t seen that Sportsline Pittsburgh issue of yours before either. I wonder if there are more Roberto covers out there that we are unaware of.

As for the autograph, I purchased the same “style” auto over 20 years ago which I’m sure was signed by the same person. It was personalized, and I purchased it from one of my patients who sent an autograph request when she was young. I’m sure they were signed by one of RC’s colleagues or friends (i.e. Dorsey) to keep up with the demand.

71buc 09-13-2022 12:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Original snapshots of Clemente’s wedding day. That’s the aforementioned Phil Dorsey kissing the bride.