Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   June Pickups (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=188841)

thecatspajamas 06-25-2014 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pariah1107 (Post 1290942)
No Pre-War Auto Racing Section to put this, my apologies. A 1936 Yakima Fairgrounds Speedway Time Trial pic with unknown driver in the Old Death Car. Hope people do not mind:

Cool photo, Ty! Is the "Old Death Car" something that should be instantly recognizable by that name, or just this gent's private nickname for his racer? (Forgive me if that question sounds ridiculous, keeping in mind that I am completely oblivious to the world of auto racing, modern or pre-war).

pariah1107 06-25-2014 08:59 AM

Thank you Lance. These 1930's outlaw/sprint cars were sometimes referred to as "Death Sleds". Safety was practically nonexistent; A lot of jalopies on the track, many drivers did not wear helmets or just wore skull caps (though this one seems to have acquired a US military issue), and most drivers did not wear seat-belts as it was thought to be safer if the driver was thrown from the vehicle as it wrecked (unfortunately this often left drivers on the track). A lot like the early history of football, auto racing had it's share of fatalities.

71buc 06-25-2014 08:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay I know this matters only to me and is neither pre-war or valuable. Nonetheless I am thrilled to add it to my collection. The 1971 World Series original newspapers show up periodically I have one of those as well. However, this is the first time I have ever seen the paper related to winning the 1971 pennant. I never knew that a $10 item could make me so happy. If anyone knows where I can pick up a stub to game one of the 1971 NLCS or game three of the 1971 ALCS I would be forever in your debt. Thanks for indulging me as no one else in my world understands my disease;)

Scott Garner 06-25-2014 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 1291450)
Okay I know this matters only to me and is neither pre-war or valuable. Nonetheless I am thrilled to add it to my collection. The 1971 World Series original newspapers show up periodically I have one of those as well. However, this is the first time I have ever seen the paper related to winning the 1971 pennant. I never knew that a $10 item could make me so happy. If anyone knows where I can pick up a stub to game one of the 1971 NLCS or game three of the 1971 ALCS I would be forever in your debt. Thanks for indulging me as no one else in my world understands my disease;)

SWEET! Nice paper, Mike!

71buc 06-25-2014 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 1291495)
SWEET! Nice paper, Mike!

Thanks Scott I'm a man of simple needs with equally modest means:D

ooo-ribay 06-26-2014 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 1291450)

I understand your disease......but don't like the sub-headline. #!%€$&@ Bob Robertson! ;)

pencil1974 06-28-2014 05:10 PM

Picked this up - 1924 Ruth/Johnson

2 Attachment(s)
Love this photo! Have a 1970's postcard to match.

kdixon 06-28-2014 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up this Wheat Notebook.

eastonfalcon19 06-29-2014 07:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I picked up this photo this morning, I'm not sure what game it is. It is definitely Dodgers b/c I see Roy Campanella catching and it is at Ebbets field. Does anybody know what game this might be? I think it's against the Yankees and looks like Joe Dimaggio batting. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

almostdone 06-29-2014 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastonfalcon19 (Post 1292527)
I picked up this photo this morning, I'm not sure what game it is. It is definitely Dodgers b/c I see Roy Campanella catching and it is at Ebbets field. Does anybody know what game this might be? I think it's against the Yankees and looks like Joe Dimaggio batting. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Any way you can read some of the scoreboard with a magnifying glass? When I enlarge it it becomes to pixilated. You might be able to make out opposing team name from an original photo. Looks like the top of the first inning though since there isn't any individual innings scored yet.
Drew

eastonfalcon19 06-29-2014 10:26 AM

I looked at the scoreboard and the runner on first, they are playing the Yankees. Jackie Robinson is at 2nd. The batter looks like Joe D but I'm not 100% sure.

almostdone 06-29-2014 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastonfalcon19 (Post 1292581)
I looked at the scoreboard and the runner on first, they are playing the Yankees. Jackie Robinson is at 2nd. The batter looks like Joe D but I'm not 100% sure.

In doing some quick research I discovered it had to be game 4 of the 1949 World Series assuming a few things. IF it's Joe D up at bat then this is the only World Series game where there is a runner only first in the top of the 1st with no runs yet. I do have my doubts though because that means the Brooklyn pitcher is Don Newcombe and the runner on first is Yogi Berra. In my opinion neither of the players in the picture reminds me of Newcombe or Berra. That being said, either this is a pre-season exhibition game (which I doubt with presence of the CBS camera in 1949) or it isn't Joe Dimmagio at bat. He only faced the Dodgers in one World Series with Campy on the team but the Yankees faced the Dodgers in 5 World Series in Brooklyn, 49, 52,53, 55, and 56 , all with Campy who is obviously catching in your photo.

I'll keep looking to come up with another game it could be but without Joe D at the plate.

Drew

*just noticed that it appears there was one out in the inning. Ebbets scoreboard listed at bat, strikes, balls and outs across the top with the amount of each above the word. Outs is the last one listed and seems to have a "1" above it. Also no balls or strikes listed in this at bat so the pitch being thrown is the first of the at bat.
Any way to make out the player number above the at bat sign? It's right below the work "fine" at the top and all the way to the left.

Drew

eastonfalcon19 06-29-2014 11:30 AM

Thanks Drew I appreciate all of the research...the scoreboard says 1 out. Yeah I agree the pitcher doesn't look like Don Newcombe. I just thought the batter looked like Joe D but I am probably wrong.

almostdone 06-29-2014 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastonfalcon19 (Post 1292602)
Thanks Drew I appreciate all of the research...the scoreboard says 1 out. Yeah I agree the pitcher doesn't look like Don Newcombe. I just thought the batter looked like Joe D but I am probably wrong.

My pleasure. Any excuse to do some digging about the Brooklyn Dodgers is good enough for me. Sorry we couldn't come to a diffinitive answer but still fun looking.
Drew

UnVme7 06-29-2014 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pudge Rodriguez game used Tigers bat

UnVme7 06-29-2014 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pic 2

btcarfagno 06-30-2014 01:44 PM

Double X

Just picked up these interesting Jimmie Foxx photos from some sort of hunting trip. All are either 7x9 or 8x10. Interesting in a weird sort of way.

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/y...sd9e18f4b.jpeg

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/y...s61009b67.jpeg

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/y...s75918844.jpeg

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/y...scb3b4c93.jpeg

They will be available shortly in the BST for anyone who may be interested.

Tom C