Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ty Cobb Card Market? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=241678)

barrysloate 07-01-2017 11:33 AM

I agree Peter, but why have grading disparities? If you understand how to grade a card, it shouldn't be hard to be more consistent and accurate. It's doable.

Peter_Spaeth 07-01-2017 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1676467)
I agree Peter, but why have grading disparities? If you understand how to grade a card, it shouldn't be hard to be more consistent and accurate. It's doable.

Different people doing the grading is part of the reason. If it were all one guy there might be less variation. And there may be some politics.

orly57 07-01-2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1676469)
Different people doing the grading is part of the reason. If it were all one guy there might be less variation. And there may be some politics.

Card A: should be a 6, but gets a 7 due to politics or incompetence.
Card B: was a 6, but dick Towle removed a wax stain. Gets a legit 7.

Both sell for the same price.
Which is worse again?

Peter_Spaeth 07-01-2017 11:48 AM

I don't care about wax stains. Not what I am talking about.

rgpete 07-01-2017 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeanTown (Post 1676458)
Pins, buttons, and Disc are all nitche items which will slowly gain popularity. Very undervalued over the years and as collectors are looking for items they don't have of a key player (like Cobb), they will start collecting these kind of items which will make them more mainstream. We saw this happen with the postcard market over the last 15 years.

There is a great book by Muchinsky "Baseball Pinback Buttons". The book doesn't show everything out there, but it's a great reference guide to educate collectors who want to start collecting these kind of collectibles.

Thanks for the info , I will look in to it more

barrysloate 07-01-2017 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1676469)

There shouldn't be any politics with card grading. You assess a card, give it the most accurate grade you can, and then move on to the next one. If any special favors are going on, then the system doesn't work (and since I believe funny stuff happens, that's why I think third party grading needs an overhaul).

Peter_Spaeth 07-01-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1676484)
There shouldn't be any politics with card grading. You assess a card, give it the most accurate grade you can, and then move on to the next one. If any special favors are going on, then the system doesn't work (and since I believe funny stuff happens, that's why I think third party grading needs an overhaul).

Any small business heavily dependent on a relatively small group of customers and where people know each other is, to some extent, going to be subject to influence. Just the way of the world.

BeanTown 07-01-2017 12:49 PM

Graders are just giving a "unbiased" opinion. It's subjective and there is literally no accountibility. So, if they give a bad grade who cares. If an attourney does something wrong or unethical then they are held accountable from the Bar of their State.

Yoda 07-01-2017 03:04 PM

I was under the impression, perhaps misguided, that the half point grade designation was implemented to distinguish a card which has terrific eye appeal but a flaw from one that has a more obvious imperfection. My understanding with TPG grading is that a wrinkle, crease or small spot of paper loss, no matter how unobtrusive, will bring down the card's grade to a vg unless it is deserving of a half point bump, like beautiful green Cobb; it should be a vg+ for sure.