Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   If you could own one baseball card, what would it be? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=263397)

rats60 12-21-2018 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvster (Post 1838299)
I was so glad when you got that!:)

I'm talking about a card you don't already have....the dream card.....the card that seems pretty much out of reach either through rarity, cost, ect...

example Balty Ruth, 206 Wagner, Doyle National, psa 10 mantle...

So we get to keep what we already have?

ksfarmboy 12-21-2018 07:55 AM

Thanks to Jay(oldjudge) and mrvster for starting this thread I was able to get my dream card. Jay was nice enough to sell me one of his Golden Giants cards and I couldn’t be happier. It’s like acquiring a t206 Wagner for me. It’s so nice finally landing a card that’s been on my want list for so long. A picture of the card is posted above on the right for reference. Thanks again Jay!😁😁

Touch'EmAll 12-21-2018 09:20 AM

The first thought is the m101-5 1915 Ruth in psa 8 and centered. Or the T206 Wagner, no duh. However, upon further thought that 1893 Just So Cy Young would be a pretty remarkable card to own!

benjulmag 12-21-2018 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 1837231)
There's a low grade T210 Jackson on eBay right now... and it's only $145,000 BIN. :eek::rolleyes::mad:

IMO this Jackson card is not altered. It first surfaced in the 1980's as part of a find of series 8 T210's, ALL of which had a comparable cut. I have been told by advanced T210 collectors that a significant population of the known T210's exhibit the same wavy cut, and I believe that is how they were originally issued. It is a nice looking card, and if some day the grading companies recognized this and gave it a numerical grade (perhaps with a qualifier), its value would be a lot higher than it currently is with the "A" designation.

aaroncc 12-21-2018 09:44 AM

Corey, curious what would be your pick? I know you have some holy grails in your collection. Anything in particular you would like to acquire?

Snapolit1 12-21-2018 10:04 AM

Cracker Jack Joe Jackson. PSA 7 or 8.

benjulmag 12-21-2018 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncc (Post 1838373)
Corey, curious what would be your pick? I know you have some holy grails in your collection. Anything in particular you would like to acquire?

CdV of the 1860 Brooklyn Excelsiors with James Creighton. Haven't yet seen one but inasmuch as there is a CdV of the c. 1860 Brooklyn Atlantics that I believe was taken at the same studio that took the mammoth plate image of the 1860 Excelsiors, I suspect such a CdV was issued.

olecow 12-21-2018 10:39 AM

1952 Topps Eddie Mathews PSA 10

Unfortunately one of these doesn't exist. If it did, I would want it.

BengoughingForAwhile 12-21-2018 10:57 AM

The Gem Mint T206 Honus Wagner that is hidden away in an old house somewhere in America right now. It could be in grandpa's attic, stuffed in a dusty old box, or under the floor boards, or perfectly preserved between two pages in an old book. Where ever it is I know I'll find it someday!

Stampsfan 12-21-2018 01:01 PM

I'm a neophyte in terms of quantity and quality of my baseball cards, but here goes.

I actually have two I'd love to add:

M101-5 Ruth
1952 Topps Mantle

Big Six 12-21-2018 01:13 PM

If you could own one baseball card, what would it be?

In an effort to take a different look at this, I’d want something for my otherwise modest Hal Chase collection...these would qualify...and to be clear I don’t own any of the items below!!!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...531437ebec.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d7e9fa1d65.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e4ecc4e14c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iowadoc77 12-21-2018 03:32 PM

T5 Pinkerton Ty Cobb batting or fielding!
Someone please let me know if you have one!!!

mrvster 12-21-2018 09:41 PM

First of all.......

A HUGE CONGRATS TO CLINT!!!!

This made me so happy! a useful thread I finally post:) it almost brought a tear to my eye....I can't imagine ever getting a Wagner, but if I did, I would probably pass out:)...maybe I will hit the lottery or find one at a flea market....nice to have a life long dream.....kinda why I posted this thread...

but now you have your dream card and I can live vicariously through you my friend!!!

GOD BLESS!! and also to Jay for getting Clint his "Dream Card" WOW....

Second:

George, so touching to hear that story.......I'm in the process of trying to get back a very sentimental card I know how you feel...sometimes the memory attached to the card is worth more than a whole collection...but people are worth more...:D hope you get re united with it.........remember we are just "renting" these little cardboard beauties for now:) but the joy like landing that card, the memory last a lifetime.....people matter more than cardboard, but it's nice to be feeding the kid in all of us......

Third :

Rats my friend......YES OF COURSE!;) ....your taste in these are unreal and just like mine....great people

Lastly:

all these pieces are just mid blowing! hard to find my favorite, I really enjoy this thread, but Clint made my posts on this board all worth it! I SHARE ALL OF YOUR JOY MY FRIENDS......

PEACE ON EARTH AND GOODWILL TO MAN(AND WOMAN)

:)

Merry Early Christmas everyone:)

like Christmas when I open this thread and see all your super gifts.....

GOD BLESS ....and happy collecting

triwak 12-22-2018 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1863 Jordan & Co.

oldjudge 12-22-2018 12:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ken-Great choice. I like the Grand Match ticket with father and son even more:

CW 12-22-2018 01:25 PM

Some jaw dropping pieces in this thread.

Also, nice to see Clint get his dream card! Congrats, Clint, and it's cool that you helped to make it happen, Jay!

triwak 12-22-2018 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1838759)
Ken-Great choice. I like the Grand Match ticket with father and son even more:

+1

brian1961 12-23-2018 07:59 PM

I am very privileged to actually own that one baseball card I most desired

I've been a card collector off and on since 1961; mostly on. I've seen a lot of fabulous cards in person, and read a great deal about many other beautiful scarcities and rarites. Honestly, I am very privileged to actually own that one baseball card I most desired---the 1953 Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle in PSA MINT 9 condition. As far as posting a photo, I staged a beautiful, artistic arrangement of that one for my book on immediate post-war regional / food issues, Never Cheaper By the Dozen. Unfortunately, there's well over 1,000 KB in the book photo, well surpassing the maximum allowed here on Net54baseball.com. --- Brian Powell

Bigdaddy 12-23-2018 08:53 PM

In college, we used to play a game sorta like this, except instead of baseball cards it was girls. That you'd drop whatever (or whoever) you were doing (or seeing) and follow them out the door, no questions asked and no looking back. Jennifer Aniston's name popped up a lot with us guys.

Anyway, pretty predictable for me here as far as cards. The top of my list has to be a Wags, in any shape but 'A'.

As far as a card that I'd actually aspire to and maybe own one day, I'd say a '52 Mantle, 5-6ish. Closely followed by a WaJo portrait or a CJ Jackson, in decent shape. Maybe one day. Gotta get these kids through college first though.

T205Cub 12-28-2018 12:52 PM

Tough for me to answer, but taking the most expensive and legendary card like the T206 Wagner would be the obvious choice, especially since the tobacco era stuff is my favorite.

Though honestly I would get more enjoyment from a nice collection of really cool stuff instead of one big card.

Though if I had the Wagner, maybe I would sell it and grab some other stuff like a complete 1933 Goudey set, 1915 Sporting News Ruth, Cracker Jack Cobb, 1934 Goudey Gehrig #61, 1952 Topps Mantle, etc. You get the idea, but those are some definite candidates.