Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   19th Century Bats (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=280829)

GaryPassamonte 01-29-2021 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Rayburn (Post 2061707)
That's great Gary, as we are all painfully aware that most of the time the history of these relics is lost over time. By the way, Nashville has a very active Vintage Base Ball Society. Actually that bat might belong a little closer to home...Hint...Hint.

You'll be the second to know if it goes anywhere, Bill. The previous owner has first dibs. He's from Kentucky, also.

khkco4bls 01-31-2021 11:05 AM

39" solid maple

5 Attachment(s)
This is the only one I kept from my collection. 39" and immaculate cond. Out of a house in upstate New York Do not know what the S trademark means

perezfan 01-31-2021 03:00 PM

I believe the "S" is for Standard Bat Company, though I could be wrong.

perezfan 01-31-2021 03:01 PM

Forgot to say.......... Gorgeous Bat!

pedodds 02-04-2021 05:01 PM

Vibrant Green!

Killer bat Kevin!

khkco4bls 02-05-2021 07:26 AM

Thanks guys the 1 bat I couldn't part with.

GaryPassamonte 02-05-2021 01:03 PM

I get it, Kevin. It is a great bat.

Shoelessseb 02-13-2021 03:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are 2 bats that I bought maybe 10 years ago. I guess those are custom bats from the 19th century but I would like to have your opinion. Andy idea of their value ? I bought them $1 each so I don’t mind if they’re worthless lol They display nicely in my memorabilia room.

JoeDfan 02-14-2021 08:55 AM

I can't tell from the pic; are they kind of flat on the barrel end?

BruceinGa 02-15-2021 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Rayburn (Post 1971696)
To me this has been a most enjoyable and informative thread. Thanks to all the posters for sharing their knowledge and fabulous collections. Unfortunately I don't have any 19th century bats to share at this time but, as some of you are aware, I also make replica 19th century bats. These bats are my interpretation and have been inspired by many of the vintage bats posted in this thread. The top bat in the first picture is 39” in length and made of cherry with 2 silver badges. The 2nd and 3rd bats are made of willow and finished with a highly polished lacquer finish. The 4th bat is made of “Tiger Flame” birch and was inspired by an 1860's presentation bat that John has posted in this thread. The miniature bat at the bottom is made of black walnut obtained from the Gibson Guitar Co. In the second picture the top 2 bats are made from the “Tiger Flame” birch and the 3rd bat is made from ash with a leather grip. At times, like now, when you don't have the real thing, I can enjoy these tributes hanging on my wall plus they were a lot of fun to make.

Fantastic Bill! I'm impressed at your skill and quality of work.
I'm a woodturner and now I see how I'll be spending my time at my lathe.

Bill Rayburn 02-15-2021 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceinGa (Post 2068841)
Fantastic Bill! I'm impressed at your skill and quality of work.
I'm a woodturner and now I see how I'll be spending my time at my lathe.

Thanks Bruce for the kind words. I hope you enjoy making the bats as much as I do.

perezfan 06-29-2021 05:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte (Post 1965401)
Since the game used bats thread is going so well, I thought I'd start another bat thread showing bats from my favorite era, the 19th century. Here's a tiger maple bat acquired from a fellow board member a few years ago.

Revisiting this great thread...

Gary, that Tiger Maple Bat is just stunning. The shaping of the bat and its marble-like patina are nothing short of gorgeous.

GaryPassamonte 06-30-2021 11:45 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks, Mark.

Here's one bat I'd appreciate any feedback on. It has an interesting ribbed handle and is 34" long. I'm not sure of the weight, but it is quite heavy. 19th century or not?

Bill Rayburn 07-05-2021 05:31 AM

Gary, you sure can come up with some unique bats. I certainly don't have a definitive answer for you but I will hazard a guess of late 1800's or very early 1900's. The rounded barrel end, taper and size of the knob would all indicate that time span. Beautiful graining and good lathe skills on the handle. Nice bat.