Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Love of the Game Auction How did you do (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=307174)

Wanaselja 09-03-2021 07:10 PM

This is one of the reasons I love this forum so much.
As a GenXer I understand if you guys roll your eyes but my favorite Dylan record is Blood on the Tracks. There, I said it.

Wanaselja 09-03-2021 07:11 PM

Also, fantastic pickups everyone. You never disappoint.

Peter_Spaeth 09-03-2021 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanaselja (Post 2141433)
This is one of the reasons I love this forum so much.
As a GenXer I understand if you guys roll your eyes but my favorite Dylan record is Blood on the Tracks. There, I said it.

I played that record nonstop in the summer of 75. It's right up there with the early classics IMO even if the songs were more personal and less social. Some amazing acoustic guitar, very evocative of different moods. Did you know that many of the songs have alternate takes that are available?

Hankphenom 09-04-2021 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanaselja (Post 2141433)
This is one of the reasons I love this forum so much. As a GenXer I understand if you guys roll your eyes but my favorite Dylan record is Blood on the Tracks. There, I said it.

It's as good a record as he ever made. The followup, "Desire," is also excellent, and IMO the last of his 15-year run of stone classic albums. If I had to name my favorite, it would be "Bringing It All Back Home," from 1965.

Hankphenom 09-04-2021 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2141413)
He wrote a few songs that I think only Baez actually recorded/performed, like Love is Just a Four Letter Word.

She did some wonderful covers of his songs, and also wrote two great songs about her and Bob, "Diamonds and Rust," and about her sister Mimi, "Sweet Sir Galahad."

MVSNYC 09-04-2021 09:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Congrats on an awesome auction, Al!

Happy to have won this, and I think at a great price...

mrreality68 09-04-2021 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 2141609)
Congrats on an awesome auction, Al!

Happy to have won this, and I think at a great price...

Nice looking Cobb

Congrats

Peter_Spaeth 09-04-2021 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2141602)
She did some wonderful covers of his songs, and also wrote two great songs about her and Bob, "Diamonds and Rust," and about her sister Mimi, "Sweet Sir Galahad."

Her studio Farewell Angelina is one of my favorite songs of all time. Haunting and her delivery is perfect.

Hankphenom 09-04-2021 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2141621)
Her studio Farewell Angelina is one of my favorite songs of all time. Haunting and her delivery is perfect.

Baez is wildly underrated, having been overwhelmed by the succeeding waves of great 60s music she helped pave the way for, and typecast as possessor of a great natural voice but not much more. In time she will be rediscovered and take her rightful place among the pantheon of fabulous talent from that era, I believe.

Peter_Spaeth 09-04-2021 11:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2141639)
Baez is wildly underrated, having been overwhelmed by the succeeding waves of great 60s music she helped pave the way for, and typecast as possessor of a great natural voice but not much more. In time she will be rediscovered and take her rightful place among the pantheon of fabulous talent from that era, I believe.

molenick 09-04-2021 12:39 PM

Also a big fan of Blood on the Tracks and as I was reading the other posts it just occurred to me: I always took the title to refer to railroad tracks...but it could refer to the tracks of an album. As for great covers, it's hard to top Jimi Hendrix's version of "All Along the Watchtower".

Peter_Spaeth 09-04-2021 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molenick (Post 2141658)
Also a big fan of Blood on the Tracks and as I was reading the other posts it just occurred to me: I always took the title to refer to railroad tracks...but it could refer to the tracks of an album. As for great covers, it's hard to top Jimi Hendrix's version of "All Along the Watchtower".

I always liked PPM's Blowin' in the Wind and Too Much of Nothing. Also Fairport Convention's Percy's Song. Hard too to argue with the Byrds' My Back Pages and Mr. Tambourine Man.

molenick 09-04-2021 01:10 PM

Yes, "Blowin' in the Wind" was a classic as was "Mr. Tambourine Man". And in a weird way so was the Four Seasons' "Don't Think Twice (It's All Right)". I'm sure when I heard the last two on the radio, I did not know they were Dylan covers, being more familiar with top-40 radio than the concept of albums.

Peter_Spaeth 09-04-2021 01:40 PM

Johnny and June, It Ain't Me, Babe.

Hankphenom 09-04-2021 02:28 PM

Born in Time

Here's one of the few cover versions I prefer to Bob's own, especially with the haunting photos in this video, which I couldn't stop watching for several weeks it affected me so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi6O0yRlJfE

mrreality68 09-04-2021 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2141682)
Here's one of the few cover versions I prefer to Bob's own, especially with the haunting photos in this video, which I couldn't stop watching for several weeks it affected me so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi6O0yRlJfE

Great video and great visual

Thanks for sharing

MVSNYC 09-04-2021 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2141610)
Nice looking Cobb

Congrats

Thanks Jeff, much appreciated!

Frank A 09-04-2021 06:41 PM

Amazing how this thread got hi jacked and is now about music. What is the matter with you people!

Hankphenom 09-04-2021 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank A (Post 2141750)
Amazing how this thread got hi jacked and is now about music. What is the matter with you people!

How'd you do in the auction?

jsimpson 10-06-2021 12:26 PM

PM sent