Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bid Now on 3500+ Lots in REA's Spring Auction - Register For a Free Catalog! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=318115)

perezfan 04-24-2022 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneen (Post 2218637)
Yep it's official...we now get to start this all over again tomorrow night at 9pm. Wonder if we can all just retract our bids in a solidarity protest? Lol

It's tempting.

Consignors must be giddy. Bidders, not so much. I wonder how many lots were "won" only to be lost tomorrow?

icurnmedic 04-24-2022 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR RAREBACK (Post 2218618)
Seems like a good idea to extend another day

Not to be smart but seems like a good idea to get it right when you are supposed to get it right.
This happens too often at too many AH’s.
I for one am in the aggravated camp when it comes to these happenings. Not like it is some low level mom&pop AH.
I guess I’m not tech savvy enough to understand, but I am reasonably certain eBay rarely crashes and going out on a limb ,I would wager a heck of a lot more bidding there at any given moment.
Really wish wanting a card that I have been researching for weeks and now this didn’t get me down. But man I really want that card. :rolleyes:

Rant over. Probably the right thing to do given the situation.
Thomas Church

Lorewalker 04-24-2022 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflayank (Post 2218596)
every lot closed again

Did ya get your shill bids in? :eek:

babraham 04-24-2022 11:21 PM

And I'll be coaching my son's hockey team tomorrow night during the new auction closing...so I guess my lots will be fair game. :(

ValKehl 04-24-2022 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 2218504)
This is so annoying. Watch, they'll extend bidding for another day because of this. My prediction.

Mark, I hope your prediction is correct, because although I'm not bidding on anything, I do have a dozen cards consigned to this auction. :)

Lorewalker 04-24-2022 11:33 PM

Yeah this is not going to work out well for the bidders. After reopening I am sure everyone bid to win only to have the auction postponed. Sorry to all those bidding and congrats to the consignors. Cha ching!!!!

jonvancouver 04-24-2022 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR RAREBACK (Post 2218618)
Seems like a good idea to extend another day

They should extend another week. It’s possible that some people have to travel tomorrow and therefor can’t bid. Maybe some people will sleep for 24 consecutive hours and miss their chance. I think they should extend 2 weeks actually now that I’m thinking about it.

Kaneen 04-24-2022 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troutbum97 (Post 2218630)
They really should check the time stamps of the bids, remove any & all bids after midnight sharp tonight (when the server crashed), and resume/ restart the auction at midnight tomorrow w/ 10 min clocks on all lots.

That solution would absolutely be the completely fair thing to do...put the entire thing on pause back to the moment things all fell apart, then restart it at the same hour tomorrow from that point. (Cue Bill Murray...it's like Groundhog Day all over again!)

It makes so much sense...so there is absolutely no chance this will happen.

nsaddict 04-25-2022 03:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Woke up and realized something is up (aware now). Zero intentions of bidding higher!

Aquarian Sports Cards 04-25-2022 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneen (Post 2218654)
That solution would absolutely be the completely fair thing to do...put the entire thing on pause back to the moment things all fell apart, then restart it at the same hour tomorrow from that point. (Cue Bill Murray...it's like Groundhog Day all over again!)

It makes so much sense...so there is absolutely no chance this will happen.

Not saying this isn't an optimal solution, but there's no magic button to doing that for 3500 lots automatically, it would have to be done manually. At 30 seconds labor per lot (which is very optimistic) it would would take roughly 29 man hours to do this. I don't know what their available labor pool is at 1am on a Sunday night but I'm guessing it's not a dozen people who could blow that out in a couple hours.

Republicaninmass 04-25-2022 04:39 AM

Or just end each GD lot individually. This is now a circus. Waiting for people to head to the great egress

Johnny630 04-25-2022 04:56 AM

Can we all stop complaining please come the next auction people will completely forget about this it’ll be an afterthought. REA is the best. People can hang in there one more day.

CJinPA 04-25-2022 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icurnmedic (Post 2218647)
Not to be smart but seems like a good idea to get it right when you are supposed to get it right.
This happens too often at too many AH’s.
I for one am in the aggravated camp when it comes to these happenings. Not like it is some low level mom&pop AH.
I guess I’m not tech savvy enough to understand, but I am reasonably certain eBay rarely crashes and going out on a limb ,I would wager a heck of a lot more bidding there at any given moment.
Really wish wanting a card that I have been researching for weeks and now this didn’t get me down. But man I really want that card. :rolleyes:

Rant over. Probably the right thing to do given the situation.
Thomas Church

REA needs to have their servers up in AWS (Amazon) and turn on a feature called auto-scaling - as the name implies; as the server load goes up, AWS provides the greater horsepower for each web and database server needs. It isn't rocket science in the technology world. They probably outsource their hosting/tech work but if I were a member of the REA leadership team, I'd have a pretty strong come-to-Jesus talk with my provider and ask why technology like this wasn't being used.

Anyway - thanks to those posting the note from REA, I still haven't received squat from them and am currently winning a couple of items - we'll see.

I do know when it comes time to sell my collection - I will remember this event w/ REA.

mrreality68 04-25-2022 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 2218675)
Can we all stop complaining please come the next auction people will completely forget about this it’ll be an afterthought. REA is the best. People can hang in there one more day.

+1 Agree. Sadly these things happen from time to time. but when bidding opens again those who want will and those who do not or were not won't

and then we look to the next auctions from Goldin to Heritage and so on and so on

mordecaibrown1 04-25-2022 06:15 AM

RE Auction

I am high on only one lot I thought I won twice last night, but in on a bunch! If I get out bid on the one I am defiantly going to. consider a few others! Still a awful way to end a auction!!!!

Johnny630 04-25-2022 06:39 AM

This is post just shows me if you have any sorta of high end cards you want to sell send them to REA immediately. There are apparently so many people bidding on REA they crash their system. Not REA's Fault. The game is now a 10 inning game and not a 9 inning game and people are still bidding!!! It's amazing !

notfast 04-25-2022 06:46 AM

REA is the best IMO but stuff like this is very frustrating. Website failure is extremely common with these auction houses

There has to be a better way. I also don’t understand why there needs to be 3hrs of “extended bidding” at 9pm EST before the lot by lot finish.

Exhibitman 04-25-2022 06:55 AM

It's the ten-minute thing and the antiquated auction hosting at CreateAuction that is causing this. The surge of bids at 8:59 overwhelmed the capacity of the site. All they are doing is postponing the problem to tonight: what happens with this surge? Will Create add more capacity to REA by then? For answers to these questions, tune in at 8:58 tonight.

Johnny630 04-25-2022 07:06 AM

Now the million dollar question... how much do these lots increase today and in the wee hours of tomorrow am?

Very interesting to see.......

Snapolit1 04-25-2022 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 2218675)

Absolutely correct. There is a cult surrounding REA that reminds me a bit of that Heavens Gate scene many years ago. Regardless of what happens people will explain away and ignore and find justifications and talk about how great and benevolent and all powerful the leaders are. A desperate attempt to be accepted as one of the special followers. All powerful and all good. Worship at the altar of hobby and earthy perfection.

Johnny630 04-25-2022 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2218697)
Absolutely correct. There is a cult surrounding REA that reminds me a bit of that Heavens Gate scene many years ago. Regardless of what happens people will explain away and ignore and find justifications and talk about how great and benevolent and all powerful the leaders are. A desperate attempt to be accepted as one of the special followers. All powerful and all good. Worship at the altar of hobby and earthy perfection.

You get it ! Boo Whoo they still bid.

It would be interesting if someone here could do a cost comparison based on prices before the outage and then the final hammer price. Bob C?

Lorewalker 04-25-2022 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 2218706)
You get it ! Boo Whoo they still bid.

It would be interesting if someone here could do a cost comparison based on prices before the outage and then the final hammer price. Bob C?

Bob C? This situation calls for an ANCOVA model!!!! We need snowman. He is the only one we know who can run algorithms and models that can predict with 100% accuracy the outcome of this sale as if it were happening in actual time and in an alternate universe. Snowman where are you????

here2havefun 04-25-2022 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJinPA (Post 2218680)
REA needs to have their servers up in AWS (Amazon) and turn on a feature called auto-scaling - as the name implies; as the server load goes up, AWS provides the greater horsepower for each web and database server needs. It isn't rocket science in the technology world. They probably outsource their hosting/tech work but if I were a member of the REA leadership team, I'd have a pretty strong come-to-Jesus talk with my provider and ask why technology like this wasn't being used.

Anyway - thanks to those posting the note from REA, I still haven't received squat from them and am currently winning a couple of items - we'll see.

I do know when it comes time to sell my collection - I will remember this event w/ REA.

There was 100% smoke coming from their on-prem server closet last night.