Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   FURTHER UPDATED -- T206 524-Card Set Complete & On PSA Registry (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=284539)

ZiggerZagger 07-15-2020 10:58 AM

Congrats Ryan -- really pleased for you!

You've had some help from some great folks along the way, some of the best people in the hobby!

It takes a community to help put the set together, and has been the most enjoyable thing I've done in the hobby personally. Hope you've had the same experience.

Hit lowly #519 last night myself, and can only imagine how it must feel to get to the mythical 524! Enjoy it fully!
|

iwantitiwinit 07-15-2020 11:08 AM

Way to go Ryan.

Rickyy 07-15-2020 11:15 AM

Wow late to the thread...but congratulations Ryan! What an achievement!

Ricky Y

111gecko 07-15-2020 11:20 AM

T206

Congrats...what an accomplishment this is.

DeanH3 07-15-2020 11:57 AM

Congrats Ryan! Just want to pile on and say Ryan has always been top notch in all of our interactions. I'm proud to call him a friend. Well done Ryan.

pawpawdiv9 07-15-2020 01:35 PM

Shazamm!!!
I gotta ask this---Anyway these will be put on display at a museum or something.

Aquarian Sports Cards 07-15-2020 02:24 PM

very cool. very, very cool.

tonyo 07-15-2020 05:56 PM

Once again , thanks for for letting the board be a part of this Ryan! Brings a smile to my face :)

much appreciated

tedzan 07-15-2020 07:20 PM

Ryan

From your Bresnahan (bat) card and Cy Young (glove) cards, which were your first T206's (circa late 1980's) to a complete 524-card T206 set....WOW !

It doesn't get any better than that in this hobby.

CONGRATULATIONS !

Hope to see you at the September Philly Show.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Rhotchkiss 07-15-2020 08:01 PM

Sincere thanks everyone for the kind words.

Rhotchkiss 08-06-2020 04:53 PM

Hi everyone, I am please to announce that my Joe Doyle has been crossed over to PSA (at a 3.5), which means once I get my Lajoie Portrait on the registry, the "Hotchkiss 524 Set" will exist as the only, active 100% complete, 524-card, T206 set on the PSA Registry (and only the 2nd one ever registered). Currently the set sits at 7 overall, where it will likely remain -- until I get knocked down (because I dont plan on doing much/any upgrading). Here is a link to the set:

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregist...shedset/354543

Hopefully, within a few months, front/back pictures of each card will be attached to the registry set.

NOW - my goal is to get this set into a museum (it does not belong in a safety deposit box or safe). Does anyone have connections to any museums? We have the Smithsonian (and many others) here in Washington DC (hometown), which I am going to approach. But I am open to all options. Thanks

Powell 08-06-2020 05:06 PM

Congrats, Ryan!!

The Smithsonian would be awesome!!

Cmount76 08-06-2020 05:15 PM

Amazing! Congrats on the accomplishment and I completely agree...it belongs in a museum to be seen and appreciated. (If you can manage to do an east coast museum, I will be there to appreciate it)

tedzan 08-06-2020 05:58 PM

Hey Ryan, ole buddy,

The most appropriate Museum would be the BASEBALL HALL of FAME in Cooperstown. It would be appreciated there more than in any other museum.

They have had a T206 set on display; however, it does not compare with your's. And, I know it does NOT have the Doyle N.Y. Nat'L card.

Take care my friend.

TED Z

T206 Reference

maniac_73 08-06-2020 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2006446)
Hi everyone, I am please to announce that my Joe Doyle has been crossed over to PSA (at a 3.5), which means once I get my Lajoie Portrait on the registry, the "Hotchkiss 524 Set" will exist as the only, active 100% complete, 524-card, T206 set on the PSA Registry (and only the 2nd one ever registered). Currently the set sits at 7 overall, where it will likely remain -- until I get knocked down (because I dont plan on doing much/any upgrading). Here is a link to the set:

Hopefully, within a few months, front/back pictures of each card will be attached to the registry set.

NOW - my goal is to get this set into a museum (it does not belong in a safety deposit box or safe). Does anyone have connections to any museums? We have the Smithsonian (and many others) here in Washington DC (hometown), which I am going to approach. But I am open to all options. Thanks

Speechless. I feel privileged that you shared this journey with us. Its like Im witnessing history as it happens lol

t206fanatic 08-06-2020 07:57 PM

Congrats Ryan, that's fantastic. Can't wait to see the pictures!

bnorth 08-06-2020 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2006446)

Congrats on the COMPLETE set.:)

Be very very careful when it comes to dealing with museums.

RCMcKenzie 08-06-2020 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2006497)
Congrats on the COMPLETE set.:)

Be very very careful when it comes to dealing with museums.

I can't imagine gifting anything to a museum. They will likely de-access it and split up the money in administrative salaries. I'd go with fire-proof safe, and flickr account display.

Bridwell 08-06-2020 10:32 PM

Complete!

Congrats, Ryan. That's an awesome set!

chriskim 08-07-2020 12:08 PM

Ryan,

Congrats on switching over your Doyle from SGC to PSA. PSA should have at least giving it a 4. But either way, it is still the highest grade Doyle known to exist. Congrats once again!

bnorth 08-07-2020 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie (Post 2006518)
I can't imagine gifting anything to a museum. They will likely de-access it and split up the money in administrative salaries. I'd go with fire-proof safe, and flickr account display.

I have a horror story myself as did many other members when donating to a museum was discussed on here before.

Letting a museum display it would be great. Letting the HOF display it would be amazing. Donating it to a museum would be horrible IMHO.

tedzan 08-07-2020 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2006637)
I have a horror story myself as did many other members when donating to a museum was discussed on here before.

Letting a museum display it would be great. Letting the HOF display it would be amazing. Donating it to a museum would be horrible IMHO.

Ben

I agree with you regarding the HOF Museum. In post #164 here, I suggested to Ryan that this would be best. And of course, only LENDING them the cards for display.
The HOF Museum is constantly modifying many of their exhibits. So, Ryan's T206 set may on display for several years, then replaced with another display.

Virtually, every year since 1985 I have set-up at the Cooperstown BB card Show during HOF weekend. I was always impressed with the crowd that gathered to see the
various BB card exhibits in the Museum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedzan (Post 2006462)
Hey Ryan, ole buddy,

The most appropriate Museum would be the BASEBALL HALL of FAME in Cooperstown. It would be appreciated there more than in any other museum.

They have had a T206 set on display; however, it does not compare with your's. And, I know it does NOT have the Doyle N.Y. Nat'L card.

Take care my friend.

TED Z

Rhotchkiss 08-07-2020 01:12 PM

To be clear, I would lend, not donate. I plan on retaining ownership of the set and letting my kids deal with it after I am gone. But I would be fine if they sat (on loan) in a museum for many years; the set deserves to be seen, not stowed away, plus I have nowhere to keep it.

bnorth 08-07-2020 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2006646)
To be clear, I would lend, not donate. I plan on retaining ownership of the set and letting my kids deal with it after I am gone. But I would be fine if they sat (on loan) in a museum for many years; the set deserves to be seen, not stowed away, plus I have nowhere to keep it.

I love Teds idea on the HOF, it's why I mentioned it.

Rhotchkiss 08-07-2020 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2006648)
I love Teds idea on the HOF.

So do I! I have been in contact. Stay tuned...

jjp3rd 08-07-2020 02:09 PM

Fantastic, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianp-beme 08-07-2020 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2006657)
So do I! I have been in contact. Stay tuned...

Definitely loaning (if they will take it) would be the route. Here is an excerpt from a NY Times article about the Baseball HOF and their donation/loan policies:

At the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y., the acquisitions policy is slightly less stringent. It accepts certain items on loan if a particular exhibit is short on alternative artifacts.

“The lifeblood of any museum is its collections,” said Jeff Idelson, the president of the Hall. “Our policy is that artifacts that we acquire are donated. We have some items that are on loan, and the only time we have an interest in accepting a loan item is when we can’t tell a story because we don’t have anything to tell the story.”

A prominent example is the glove Willie Mays used to make his famous back-to-the-plate catch in the 1954 World Series. It has been on loan to Cooperstown since 1992.

But the cap Bobby Thomson wore when his 1951 playoff home run clinched the National League pennant for the New York Giants, which had been in the museum’s care for more than 27 years, was returned to its owner. In May, it was auctioned for more than $173,000.

Though much of its permanent collection is not on exhibit, the baseball Hall pledges to care for those items it accepts in perpetuity. Other museums sometimes sell objects from their collections and reinvest the proceeds in new acquisitions, as industry ethicists recommend, or to pay operating expenses.

Brian

Bigdaddy 08-07-2020 06:05 PM

Ryan, if the museum thing doesn't work out, how about a really spiffy online exhibit? You would retain the cards, but high-res photos of the front and backs could be put into a very cool virtual museum. Lots of museums are doing this now with collections they have and sometimes ones that may not be on display.

A good web designer could put something together with a searchable database that you could also browse and with links to player and HOF bios. You might look for all T206 Cincinnati Reds for example, or all SL cards. There could also be links to the PSA database and even videos of some of the players. There is so much you could pull together here and it would be accessible to so many more people than being at a single museum. I know it's not the same as seeing the cards in person, but there are other interactive threads you could pull on. T206reference.com has some of these things, but I'm thinking bigger with more interactive content.

Just a thought as it sounds like the museum road can be full of potholes.

111gecko 08-07-2020 07:41 PM

Set

You could always go Stanley Cup style to the members here..each one of us keeps it for a couple weeks and then it goes to the next person...HA!

Rhotchkiss 08-07-2020 07:44 PM

An online exhibit would be ok, but I am going to have pics (ohhh quality scans) of the entire set attached to the registry, so it will be online there. I really would like to get it someone where people can view it in person

Jewish-collector 08-07-2020 07:46 PM

How about the Babe Ruth Museum ans Sports Legends Museum in Baltimore ?

https://baberuthmuseum.org/

Exhibitman 08-08-2020 01:26 PM

In this era, scan and create a site. Most of us aren't going anywhere in the near future anyway. Or even more fun, learn to operate a graphics/book-making program and create your own coffee-table book. Might be a fun diversion from binge-ing Netflix.

Rhotchkiss 08-10-2020 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today I got my Lajoie Portrait registered, and my set now sits in the PSA Registry as the only 100% complete, 524-card, set on the current PSA T206 with Big 4 registry (and only the second ever registered).

I am hopeful that pics of every card will be posted in the registry by the end of August, which means I will have my digital gallery on the registry. I continue to search for a brick-and-mortar museum to exhibit them (on long term loan).

Sincere thanks to JP and the folks at Memory Lane for helping this tech-idiot (me) through the registry process and for getting the set registered.

Seven 08-10-2020 05:12 PM

Glad to hear it! The set is a true beauty. Best of luck finding a museum to display this.

BRoberts 08-10-2020 07:38 PM

Great accomplishment! You should post the story of your set on the website www.greeneggers.com. Even though the site is dedicated to cooking on Big Green Eggs, there are A LOT of baseball card collectors (and off-topic posts) who would LOVE to know about this amazing feat!!!

Baseballcrazy62 08-11-2020 04:47 PM

Very very special!! Congrats and well done!

rats60 08-18-2020 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdoggs (Post 1992942)
SMR for t206 Wagner psa 1 is $550k so should sell somewhere in that vicinity.

After the first day the Mile High Wagner is sitting at 756k with bp. It looks like a smart move buying before the next one was auctioned.

LuckyLarry 08-18-2020 12:18 PM

really cool!
Larry

rats60 09-04-2020 04:28 AM

Wagner sells for 1.17 million dollars, almost double what the last PSA 1 sold for 3 years ago.