Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Tough 1970's & 1980's Autographed Cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=241928)

gawaintheknight 05-21-2024 11:14 AM

I think I figured out how to share the list.

Here's the link:

I would welcome any opinions on whether there are any diamonds in the rough here. These would have been acquired 20 or 30 years ago, so maybe some of these guys no longer sign?

Thanks for any help.

Ted

dgo71 05-21-2024 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gawaintheknight (Post 2436070)
I think I figured out how to share the list.

Here's the link:

I would welcome any opinions on whether there are any diamonds in the rough here. These would have been acquired 20 or 30 years ago, so maybe some of these guys no longer sign?

Thanks for any help.

Ted

Quick scan of the list, the only "toughie" I see is Doyle Alexander who has been a non-signer since retiring over 30 years ago. He's on a lot of 80's set collector's want lists. I assume that's the "D. Alexander" on your list?

You do have some HOF and deceased guys that you might find a buyer for, but nothing that would have extraordinary value. Darrell Porter for example, who you have on a 1988 Score, is somewhat tougher to find on his later issue cards. Maybe $20ish for that one to the right buyer but that's a complete guess, could be much less or much more.

gawaintheknight 05-22-2024 05:49 AM

Thank you for this - it's very helpful and I would never have known. Yes, that's him. The list is heavy on Tigers and White Sox and a little less so on Cubs.

butchie_t 05-23-2024 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B (Post 2434417)
Trax has cards. I have the 1991 Topps MLB Debut signed.

I went searching through my minor league cards to see if I had a Trax card signed. Surprisingly enough, I did.

Here it is. A grand total of one.

gawaintheknight 05-25-2024 02:15 PM

Followup question: if I wanted to sell these in smaller lots, would it be best to do it by team, or by year, or by set, or....?

gawaintheknight 06-02-2024 05:54 AM

Anyone?

Lordstan 06-02-2024 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gawaintheknight (Post 2437001)
Followup question: if I wanted to sell these in smaller lots, would it be best to do it by team, or by year, or by set, or....?

There is no secret formula. Selling individually almost always makes more more than selling in lots, but takes the most time and effort. Selling in groups might make them easier to sell, but there is no guarantees there either. There is no best way.

Sent from my SM-F946U using Tapatalk

MooseDog 06-05-2024 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gawaintheknight (Post 2437001)

If you are going to do it that way I'd suggest:

1-Team
2-Set
3-Year

You will sell the Yankees, Mets, Cubs, Cardinals and maybe Red Sox right away and struggle to sell the rest. Some popular sets like 87T will sell but others will not.

As Lordstan said, there is no best way. If you are determined to squeeze every last dollar you can out of these then price them individually and start posting the list to as many autograph forums as you can. There is one collector who has a similar list that's been on the B/S/T board for well over a year, good stuff, but the market for autographs isn't that big unless it's a big or rare name.

Just be prepared for a long slog and to be sending out a lot of single cards. And if you don't do tracking (and I wouldn't) then be prepared to lose a few in the mail.

Honestly for the trouble and what you have there I'd probably just come up with a price for the lot and be done with it. From my own experience you'd probably sell right away for $1/per card and probably not sell at $5/card. I don't buy any more so I'm not exactly sure where lot prices are these days.

In 2014 I sold/traded my last 350 common autographed cards, pretty much the same era that you have there to a big dealer for $225 in credit and was fine with that. I could kept trying to sell them off individually for $3 here and there and probably sold the bulk of them but I'd still probably be at it. I picked up a bunch of needs for my Oakland A's run in the trade.

Good luck with whatever you decide.