Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Every slabbed card has a story, don't it? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=345177)

4815162342 03-22-2024 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2421364)
Triggered?

I made a simple comment that shouldn't have been difficult to decode. You said something about PWCC selling altered cards and I was merely pointing out the fact that no auction house is immune from this.

When I read it last night, it definitely sounded you were replying to “other notorious card doctors” with a list of auction houses as examples. Peter and Al were very nice to allow you to clarify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Peter_Spaeth 03-22-2024 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2421362)
Yes, this is precisely what I meant. No auction house is immune to consigners sending them altered cards. They're literally everywhere. There's just no way around it.

I was not saying that ebay or Al (or anyone on his team) is altering cards.

The only auction house I claimed was doing anything to the cards themselves was Heritage, because I know with absolute certainty that they regularly clean cards before submitting them for grading. I am not, however, accusing them of altering cards. I have no evidence that they've ever done so, and I don't believe that they would (again, cleaning is not altering). All I know for sure is that they clean them and make minor improvements by soaking them.

So Heritage has "in-house card doctors" but they don't alter cards? That one, I don't follow?

Snowman 03-22-2024 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4815162342 (Post 2421372)
When I read it last night, it definitely sounded you were replying to “other notorious card doctors” with a list of auction houses as examples. Peter and Al were very nice to allow you to clarify.

The post I was responding to implied that PWCC was a notorious "card doctor" because doctored cards were regularly sold on their platform. My point was that none of them are immune. It's just part of the territory if you're an auction house. It's like the "shill-bidding" accusations against PWCC. It's ridiculous. Any consignment company that sells on eBay has "individuals associated with them" who were found to be shill bidding. And every auction house deals with this problem. Again, it just comes with the turf.

I thought it should have been obvious when I listed eBay first on my list. Surely, nobody thought that I was accusing eBay employees of doctoring cards.

Snowman 03-22-2024 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2421414)
So Heritage has "in-house card doctors" but they don't alter cards? That one, I don't follow?

They clean cards and remove stains. They don't, at least to my knowledge, trim, recolor, or rebuild corners or anything like that.

We're just quibbling over our differences of the definition of "altered". I am using the definition that the grading companies use in practice, which is that cleaned cards and soaked cards are acceptable and will receive numeric grades if they are cleaned properly. They all allow cleaned cards. Just look at the hundreds of thousands (millions?) of cards with white borders and beat-to-hell corners and other obvious significant surface wear that are graded as numeric. Those graders aren't stupid. You can't get a beat-up-looking card with white borders without cleaning it. Yet, they allow it. Every time. What they don't allow is a card with some soap scum on it or one that looks like it lost a 12-round title fight with a jug of Clorox.

Lorewalker 03-22-2024 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2421433)
They clean cards and remove stains. They don't, at least to my knowledge, trim, recolor, or rebuild corners or anything like that.

We're just quibbling over our differences of the definition of "altered". I am using the definition that the grading companies use in practice, which is that cleaned cards and soaked cards are acceptable and will receive numeric grades if they are cleaned properly. They all allow cleaned cards. Just look at the hundreds of thousands (millions?) of cards with white borders and beat-to-hell corners and other obvious significant surface wear that are graded as numeric. Those graders aren't stupid. You can't get a beat-up-looking card with white borders without cleaning it. Yet, they allow it. Every time. What they don't allow is a card with some soap scum on it or one that looks like it lost a 12-round title fight with a jug of Clorox.

I don't think they actually allow it anymore than they allow trimmed, recolored, creased removed, rebuilt cards to pass grading. If the job is done well enough or the work done is not actually detectable, they might not catch it or maybe it is that they catch it almost 100% of time except for submitters who have those privileges.

Unless the grading companies are complicit in that they see the work done and look the other way and slap a number on the card, responsibility is with the submitter (assuming he/she did the work) or the person submitting the card for the person who did the work. Not the cops' fault is they do not stop a robbery in progress.

Snowman 03-22-2024 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorewalker (Post 2421458)
I don't think they actually allow it anymore than they allow trimmed, recolored, creased removed, rebuilt cards to pass grading. If the job is done well enough or the work done is not actually detectable, they might not catch it or maybe it is that they catch it almost 100% of time except for submitters who have those privileges.

Unless the grading companies are complicit in that they see the work done and look the other way and slap a number on the card, responsibility is with the submitter (assuming he/she did the work) or the person submitting the card for the person who did the work. Not the cops' fault is they do not stop a robbery in progress.

I don't know how often they detect trimming, recoloring, crease removals, or rebuilt corners, but I can provide insight into how often I've had cards rejected for cleaning because that number is zero. I've cleaned thousands of cards. I've literally never had a single card ever once rejected by any grading company for me having cleaned it. Not once. That said, I also don't use anything that would damage the card or leave behind some sort of residue. Surely there are people out there who are in fact damaging cards because they don't know what they're doing and I'm sure the grading companies are flagging those with at least some degree of accuracy.

Peter_Spaeth 03-22-2024 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2421433)

That's not an answer to my question. Why are you calling them "card doctors" if you don't think they're doctoring cards?

Snowman 03-22-2024 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2421490)
That's not an answer to my question. Why are you calling them "card doctors" if you don't think they're doctoring cards?

Because I'm not equating "card doctoring" with "altering cards". I think you can "doctor" a card in both acceptable and unacceptable manners.

Peter_Spaeth 03-22-2024 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2421502)
Because I'm not equating "card doctoring" with "altering cards". I think you can "doctor" a card in both acceptable and unacceptable manners.

Then why did you even mention it in your post? It was obviously meant to be provocative. Plus, you surely know the negative connotation of the term card doctor. So you must consider yourself a card doctor if you're doing acceptable things to cards?

4815162342 03-22-2024 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2421502)

So I guess the word “notorious” is ambiguous as well?

CardPadre 03-22-2024 07:17 PM

In the near future, a card doctor may simply be someone who heals cards.

Lorewalker 03-22-2024 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2421506)
Then why did you even mention it in your post? It was obviously meant to be provocative. Plus, you surely know the negative connotation of the term card doctor. So you must consider yourself a card doctor if you're doing acceptable things to cards?

Someone from Snowman's corner throw in the towel.

G1911 03-22-2024 08:32 PM

I would love to see the evidence that the following are all "notorious card doctors": eBay, Probstein, Heritage, Goldin, REA, Mile High, LotG.

Of course, this won't be done because while there is some truth to a couple of those, the claim is presumably intentionally outrageous and wrong to obfuscate and switch direction away from PWCC, for which this poster frequently shills when he isn't claiming he can read strangers minds and tell their sins because he is a gambler.

Not every claim should be taken seriously.

Snowman 03-23-2024 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorewalker (Post 2421515)
Someone from Snowman's corner throw in the towel.

Serious question. Do you ever add anything of value to any conversation? Or do you just stick to trolling at all times?

Lorewalker 03-23-2024 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2421569)
Serious question. Do you ever add anything of value to any conversation? Or do you just stick to trolling at all times?

That is actually a hilarious question coming from you of all the members here, Travis.

By the way, you never answered me what size shirt I should order for you.

Snowman 03-23-2024 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorewalker (Post 2421570)
that is actually a hilarious question coming from you of all the members here, travis.

By the way, you never answered me what size shirt i should order for you.

gfy

bnorth 03-23-2024 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorewalker (Post 2421570)
That is actually a hilarious question coming from you of all the members here, Travis.

By the way, you never answered me what size shirt I should order for you.

I find many of his answers extremely hilarious.

EddieP 03-23-2024 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2421574)
gfy

In case anyone doesn’t know what this means, here it is in Morse Code
:p

--. --- / ..-. ..- -.-. -.- / -.-- --- ..- .-. ... . .-.. ..-.

Lorewalker 03-23-2024 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2421598)
I find many of his answers extremely hilarious.

Ben I do too. He is very amusing.

Beercan collector 03-23-2024 09:46 AM

Good for you ?
Great food yum ?
Giants Flyers Yankees ?
Gluten free yogurt

4815162342 03-29-2024 08:34 AM

“Cleaning”

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...2dc504cee7.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...cfd1077e55.jpg

bnorth 03-29-2024 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4815162342 (Post 2423097)

Yep a great example of "soaking" a card. It is why so many do it.

Leon 03-29-2024 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardPadre (Post 2421508)
In the near future, a card doctor may simply be someone who heals cards.

My card took two aspirin and felt fine the next morning.

Me thinks some of those wrinkles on Mays will come back over time. But I don't have any experience with removing creases like that so maybe I am wrong.

Peter_Spaeth 03-29-2024 11:24 AM

I am sure the defenders and contrarians will defend this. To me, it's just wrong unless disclosed.

Snowman 03-30-2024 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2423139)
My card took two aspirin and felt fine the next morning.

Me thinks some of those wrinkles on Mays will come back over time. But I don't have any experience with removing creases like that so maybe I am wrong.

They're still there. They didn't go away. The light angle is just different so you can't see them as clearly, and the wrinkles are less severe now that the card has regained some of its shape by introducing moisture. But I guarantee you these creases did not disappear.

In the top photo, the light source is placed parallel to the card surface, which highlights creasing (if you don't do this when self-grading your cards, you should). In the second photo, the light source is above and to the right, which hides the creases.

perezfan 03-30-2024 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2423302)
They're still there. They didn't go away. The light angle is just different so you can't see them as clearly, and the wrinkles are less severe now that the card has regained some of its shape by introducing moisture. But I guarantee you these creases did not disappear.

In the top photo, the light source is placed parallel to the card surface, which highlights creasing (if you don't do this when self-grading your cards, you should). In the second photo, the light source is above and to the right, which hides the creases.

Completely agree.... the differences you see are more a function of lighting and clever photography than Kurt's Card Care. I'd estimate about 75% of the supposed "difference" is positioning of the light source and maybe 25% is the soaking (much of which will revert back over time).

Lorewalker 03-30-2024 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2423453)
Completely agree.... the differences you see are more a function of lighting and clever photography than Kurt's Card Care. I'd estimate about 75% of the supposed "difference" is positioning of the light source and maybe 25% is the soaking (much of which will revert back over time).

He has shown some before and afters where he claims he simply sprayed the stuff on the card and clamped it under those pieces of plexiglass and the wrinkles vanished. Cards went SGC/PSA 3s to SGC/PSA 7s.

Posted this before and will post it again. I want to see what Kurt is doing to those cards after he stops taking the video...you know...the time while the card is drying. I just cannot believe one gets a 4 grade bump with Kurt's spray.

Snowman 03-31-2024 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorewalker (Post 2423471)
He has shown some before and afters where he claims he simply sprayed the stuff on the card and clamped it under those pieces of plexiglass and the wrinkles vanished. Cards went SGC/PSA 3s to SGC/PSA 7s.

Posted this before and will post it again. I want to see what Kurt is doing to those cards after he stops taking the video...you know...the time while the card is drying. I just cannot believe one gets a 4 grade bump with Kurt's spray.

In general, the rumor that you can just soak or spray some magic sauce on a card with creases and then watch those creases vanish it's a farse. If you look closely at most of Kurt's before & after photos, or better yet by watching his videos, you'll see that the vast majority of creases he's worked on are still there. They just look better. Only certain types of creases, usually very minor ones, can truly disappear by adding moisture. It can happen, but it's certainly the exception, not the rule. And if you have a large crease on a card, that's not going to come out no matter what you do.

Johnny630 04-01-2024 08:54 AM

Correct if a crease breaks the paper you can spay, spit, and massage all you want if it broke the paper, which these creases in the 1970 Willie Mays does it isn't coming out.

Gorditadogg 04-01-2024 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2423144)
I am sure the defenders and contrarians will defend this. To me, it's just wrong unless disclosed.

???

You were fine when Jolly soaked his Mays card. With all well-deserved respect, what is the difference here?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Lorewalker 04-01-2024 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2423651)
In general, the rumor that you can just soak or spray some magic sauce on a card with creases and then watch those creases vanish it's a farse. If you look closely at most of Kurt's before & after photos, or better yet by watching his videos, you'll see that the vast majority of creases he's worked on are still there. They just look better. Only certain types of creases, usually very minor ones, can truly disappear by adding moisture. It can happen, but it's certainly the exception, not the rule. And if you have a large crease on a card, that's not going to come out no matter what you do.

Agree with you that a lot of it is angles or different lighting but I have seen at least two videos where cards had more than a minor wrinkle and the card went from graded 3s to graded 6s or 7s. I hate referring to something like this without being able to link the back up but no time for me to look right now.

I am not saying that Kurt is doing more to the cards than what he is showing because I do not know him and have no proof but I am stating I would like to know if he is because 3 to 7 is a big bump and as you allude to, wrinkles do not vanish with spraying and drying.

bnorth 04-01-2024 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorewalker (Post 2423919)
Agree with you that a lot of it is angles or different lighting but I have seen at least two videos where cards had more than a minor wrinkle and the card went from graded 3s to graded 6s or 7s. I hate referring to something like this without being able to link the back up but no time for me to look right now.

I am not saying that Kurt is doing more to the cards than what he is showing because I do not know him and have no proof but I am stating I would like to know if he is because 3 to 7 is a big bump and as you allude to, wrinkles do not vanish with spraying and drying.

You would be amazed what a soaking and a little pressing will do after some practice. There is a easy way to tell if a card has had the creases removed by soaking. Bad part is the card owner will blame you for creasing their card when you are just bringing back old creases.

Peter_Spaeth 04-01-2024 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorditadogg (Post 2423915)
???

You were fine when Jolly soaked his Mays card. With all well-deserved respect, what is the difference here?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Darren used only water on a minor dent, and would disclose it. This dude used some top sercret chemical bath on a shitload of major creases, and doubtless without disclosure. If you think that's the same thing, fine, but I don't.

Snowman 04-02-2024 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2423923)
Darren used only water on a minor dent, and would disclose it. This dude used some top sercret chemical bath on a shitload of major creases, and doubtless without disclosure. If you think that's the same thing, fine, but I don't.

You're making quite a few assumptions here. First, I don't believe this card was even worked on by Kurt at all. I could be wrong, but I believe it was just a card that one of his followers sent him before and after pics of, and Kurt shared it because he thought it was cool. Second, you don't need Kurt's spray to achieve those results. He probably just soaked it in water. Why waste money on expensive "card spray" for a card that is worth less than the spray itself would have cost? Third, whoever did soak the card clearly didn't do it in an attempt to "scam" some would be buyer. This was obviously just a science experiment. Someone was just having fun with the most trashed card they could find and wanted to share the results.

4815162342 04-02-2024 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2423956)
… you don't need Kurt's spray to achieve those results. He probably just soaked it in water. Why waste money on expensive "card spray" for a card that is worth less than the spray itself would have cost? …

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...92c905fbcc.jpg

jayshum 04-02-2024 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2423956)
You're making quite a few assumptions here. First, I don't believe this card was even worked on by Kurt at all. I could be wrong, but I believe it was just a card that one of his followers sent him before and after pics of, and Kurt shared it because he thought it was cool. Second, you don't need Kurt's spray to achieve those results. He probably just soaked it in water. Why waste money on expensive "card spray" for a card that is worth less than the spray itself would have cost? Third, whoever did soak the card clearly didn't do it in an attempt to "scam" some would be buyer. This was obviously just a science experiment. Someone was just having fun with the most trashed card they could find and wanted to share the results.

You start your post by saying someone made quite a few assumptions in their post, and then you proceed to make three assumptions of your own in your post. Based on the post after yours, it appears that your first assumption was correct but the second one was wrong. Hard to tell about the third.

bnorth 04-02-2024 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4815162342 (Post 2423963)
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...92c905fbcc.jpg

LOL, that is awesome. Someone used an expensive spray to soak a card in when just plain water will do the exact same thing.

Yoda 04-02-2024 10:48 AM

Back when Mastro was going full-bore, Doug Allen went very public stating that they would 'repair' any card with wrinkles and creases before submitting for grading. And look what happened to him.

bnorth 04-02-2024 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2424025)
Back when Mastro was going full-bore, Doug Allen went very public stating that they would 'repair' any card with wrinkles and creases before submitting for grading. And look what happened to him.

There is no way to really know. If we could find out I would bet the farm it is the majority that do it and not just a few. Card soaking is an accepted practice on here. It is by far the easiest to do and gives the best bang for the buck by a mile when it comes to making a card look better.

Didn't Doug get most of his time for being a moron after getting busted and not what he actually done in the card world?

Yoda 04-02-2024 11:13 AM

Peter, absolutely correct. I believe the FBI agent who interviewed him wore a wire and Doug perjured himself. I bring up the wrinkle erasing as an example of where his moral compass stood at the time. But he has served his time, and I hope he is rebuilding his life in a more productive manner.

Peter_Spaeth 04-02-2024 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2424031)
Peter, absolutely correct. I believe the FBI agent who interviewed him wore a wire and Doug perjured himself. I bring up the wrinkle erasing as an example of where his moral compass stood at the time. But he has served his time, and I hope he is rebuilding his life in a more productive manner.

You're not recalling that right.

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/...vist-of-fbi-r/

https://www.chicagotribune.com/2014/...osecutors-say/

4815162342 04-02-2024 01:01 PM

I have been against card doctoring in all of its many forms, but this video has completely changed my mind. Peter, I’m leaving the island. Frosty, I’m taking a boat to the mainland!

https://youtu.be/hO5lTeA4iGE?si=rX7V9zYL82KWRWuE

Beercan collector 04-02-2024 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4815162342 (Post 2424055)
I have been against card doctoring in all of its many forms, but this video has completely changed my mind. Peter, I’m leaving the island. Frosty, I’m taking a boat to the mainland!

https://youtu.be/hO5lTeA4iGE?si=rX7V9zYL82KWRWuE

“.. Guaranteed to change the grade of your card “ 😬

Lorewalker 04-02-2024 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayshum (Post 2423972)
You start your post by saying someone made quite a few assumptions in their post, and then you proceed to make three assumptions of your own in your post. Based on the post after yours, it appears that your first assumption was correct but the second one was wrong. Hard to tell about the third.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...here we go. Well it has been a week since the last rabbit hole.

Snowman 04-03-2024 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayshum (Post 2423972)

You seem to be conflating making assumptions with making predictions. There is a difference between making explicit claims without evidence based on assumptions and making predictions based on observable evidence and logic. There is also a difference in the language Peter used and the language I used above.

Peter made explicit claims about what Kurt did to a card, without evidence, when it wasn't even Kurt's card.

I used qualifiers like, "I don't believe ...", "I could be wrong, but I believe ...", "He probably just ..." to make predictions about what I believed most likely occurred.

Even my third claim, which I phrased as a certainty, was based on observable evidence (a completely trashed card with nearly as many creases as I have responses in this thread). A claim that no reasonable person could possibly disagree with, as I said, "whoever did soak the card clearly didn't do it in an attempt to "scam" some would-be buyer. This was obviously just a science experiment. Someone was just having fun with the most trashed card they could find and wanted to share the results."

If you want to argue that I couldn't possibly know his motives and that it is in fact likely that he was trying to "fix" that Mays in an effort to cash in on a payday, then you're being disingenuous. There's zero chance anyone here actually believes that.

Peter_Spaeth 04-03-2024 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2424321)
You seem to be conflating making assumptions with making predictions. There is a difference between making explicit claims without evidence based on assumptions and making predictions based on observable evidence and logic. There is also a difference in the language Peter used and the language I used above.

Peter made explicit claims about what Kurt did to a card, without evidence, when it wasn't even Kurt's card.

I used qualifiers like, "I don't believe ...", "I could be wrong, but I believe ...", "He probably just ..." to make predictions about what I believed most likely occurred.

Even my third claim, which I phrased as a certainty, was based on observable evidence (a completely trashed card with nearly as many creases as I have responses in this thread). A claim that no reasonable person could possibly disagree with, as I said, "whoever did soak the card clearly didn't do it in an attempt to "scam" some would-be buyer. This was obviously just a science experiment. Someone was just having fun with the most trashed card they could find and wanted to share the results."

If you want to argue that I couldn't possibly know his motives and that it is in fact likely that he was trying to "fix" that Mays in an effort to cash in on a payday, then you're being disingenuous. There's zero chance anyone here actually believes that.

Where did I say it was Kurt? I said "the dude", and as the Facebook post shows, "the dude" did indeed use a chemical bath. And if I had said Kurt, it would have been a reasonable assumption given that Kurt posted it.

Snowman 04-03-2024 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2424331)
Where did I say it was Kurt? I said "the dude", and as the Facebook post shows, "the dude" did indeed use a chemical bath. And if I had said Kurt, it would have been a reasonable assumption given that Kurt posted it.

You clearly believed and implied it was Kurt.

jayshum 04-03-2024 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2424321)

A prediction is something that you think will happen in the future not an explanation for why something happened in the past. Saying you "believe" something is an explanation of why you think someone did something which requires you to make an assumption about their motivation. You can't predict why someone did something after they did it.

Peter_Spaeth 04-03-2024 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2424338)
You clearly believed and implied it was Kurt.

According to you I made an "explicit" claim. Now you are talking about what I believed and "implied." You do know the difference between explicit and implicit I assume? And suppose I had "implied" that even though I obviously chose to use "the dude" rather than Kurt, even after I used Darren's name. Would that have been unreasonable given that it was Kurt who posted the before and after? Do you have a point here?

G1911 04-03-2024 07:27 PM

"This dude used some top sercret chemical bath on a shitload of major creases, and doubtless without disclosure."

The first cause is a claim to fact - and it appears undebatably true. The dude bathed it in Kurt's Spray, not water, according to the original source. Nobody seems able to deny this or offer any refutation, though one would like to.

The second clause is an opinion - the 'doubtless' denoting that it can not be proven but the poster has no doubt what will happen. Debatable, but it's a claim to future probability of what will happen with the card, "making predictions". A prediction is also a future speculation, not oft a claim to the past.

There's nothing to play logic with here. The assumption is that "the dude" = Kurt and the resulting false claim that "Peter made explicit claims about what Kurt did to a card, without evidence, when it wasn't even Kurt's card", which does not seem to appear in the actual statement.

Peter_Spaeth 04-03-2024 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayshum (Post 2424341)
A prediction is something that you think will happen in the future not an explanation for why something happened in the past. Saying you "believe" something is an explanation of why you think someone did something which requires you to make an assumption about their motivation. You can't predict why someone did something after they did it.

All predictions are guesses, but all guesses are not predictions. :eek:

4815162342 06-19-2024 10:36 AM

PSA has clarified their card cleaning stance (see highlighted text below; h/t TiffanyCards):

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...00b9365ef2.jpg

https://www.psacard.com/gradingstandards

Peter_Spaeth 06-19-2024 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4815162342 (Post 2442181)
PSA has clarified their card cleaning stance (see highlighted text below; h/t TiffanyCards):

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...00b9365ef2.jpg

https://www.psacard.com/gradingstandards

But but but it's all natural!!

100% handmade with Safe, Natural Ingredients. Cleaning sprays and polishes free of abrasives, artificial colors and scents.

Snowman 06-20-2024 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2442183)

100% handmade with Safe, Natural Ingredients. Cleaning sprays and polishes free of abrasives, artificial colors and scents.

Can't wait for all the posts about how cards are being falsely rejected with N7 grades from submitters who genuinely do not use such products and for all the posts from guys who actually do use Kurt's Card Care continuing to show off their 10s as PSA "graders" continue to throw darts at their grading dart boards.

ruth-gehrig 06-25-2024 07:07 PM

Is it pretty well known that Kendrick says David Hall at PSA called him to buy back the Wagner because they knew it was altered?? I've heard the general story and timeline of the PSA 8 Wagner(really who hasn't thats been in this hobby for any amount of time), but definitely don't know it all

From an article 2 days ago.....

Kendrick bought the Honus Wagner in 2007.

In October 2013, Bill Mastro, one of the early pioneers of the more mature card market, pleaded guilty to mail fraud and, in the process, admitted he had trimmed the Honus Wagner card that got the PSA 8 grade.

That put Kendrick's card in the spotlight.

All of a sudden, the highest graded Wagner was not what it seemed.

Kendrick said he received a call from then-company president David Hall.

"He said, 'Look Ken, we graded this card, and we make good on anything we grade if we grade it, and it isn't what we say it is,'" Kendrick recalled. "And at that point he said, 'Listen, if you'd like to sell us back the Wagner for what you paid for it, we'll buy it right now.'"

Kendrick didn't even pause. "I laughed and said no thanks."

The question is, does PSA, knowing the card was trimmed have a responsibility to move the Wagner from its 8 grade to "altered?"

PSA has, in the past, deactivated cards when it is clear those cards achieved a grade through technological means.

Kendrick said there have been zero conversation between him and PSA about returning the card and putting it into a more accurate holder. Complicating things is certainly Kendrick's weight in the business and the fact he became an investor in PSA in 2021.

For his part, he's not worried. In fact, he thinks the trimming scandal adds to the intrigue of the card.

"I think the notoriety adds to the value," Kendrick said. "It's like the John Dillinger gun. It's worth way more because of the story behind it.

Snowman 06-26-2024 02:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This SGC "9" is currently listed at Heritage... Scissors not included.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-c...umbnail-071515

brianp-beme 06-26-2024 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2442183)

I am pretty sure the list of natural ingredients includes Oil of the Snake.

Brian