Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   PWCC Huigens Now Has a Criminal Defense Attorney (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=271595)

byrone 04-29-2020 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1975744)
PWCC and owners of altered cards now going on the offensive against message boards.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=4160

Now that's funny stuff...sitcom material, really

irv 04-29-2020 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjulmag (Post 1975747)
Probably the last place I would go to have something re-examined is the place that is accused of getting it wrong the first time and which stands to take a big financial hit if it can be shown they erred. This comment is not intended to single out Beckett, but is simply to make the point that in order for a re-examination to have significant meaning, it needs to be conducted by a company that has no economic stake in the outcome.

It's really amazing they think we are as stupid as they think we are.

perezfan 04-29-2020 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjulmag (Post 1975747)
Probably the last place I would go to have something re-examined is the place that is accused of getting it wrong the first time and which stands to take a big financial hit if it can be shown they erred. This comment is not intended to single out Beckett, but is simply to make the point that in order for a re-examination to have significant meaning, it needs to be conducted by a company that has no economic stake in the outcome.

Saw this comment posted in another tread, and thought is was appropriate to add it to Corey's thoughts...

Having Beckett re-review the card is like consulting the doctor who committed malpractice for a second opinion. Common sense alone dictates that you take the card to someone else.

Talk about a conflict of interest. This is criminal.

Rhotchkiss 04-29-2020 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chalupacollects (Post 1975793)
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...90614&page=262

You can start at post 6547 (page 262) re the Giannis card...

Start at the beginning of you want to read a horror book

I have been following that thread for months. I just never really focus on cards newer than 90 years old, so this one did not sit with me (I don’t even know why it’s so special). Anyway, it 100% looks trimmed. There is no doubt. BGS sucks ass. I have no pity that that card lost substantial value as a result of good, honest reporting.

1952boyntoncollector 04-29-2020 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1975842)
Saw this comment posted in another tread, and thought is was appropriate to add it to Corey's thoughts...

Having Beckett re-review the card is like consulting the doctor who committed malpractice for a second opinion. Common sense alone dictates that you take the card to someone else.

Talk about a conflict of interest. This is criminal.

its just a battle of the experts. I think if they said 'yeah 40 of the cards we missed by mistake but we are right about this 1 card' that would be a tough road. Who knows what the argument will ultimately be. I wonder if Beckett confirmed any past trimming or are they just used for their positive opinions.

But yeah i assume some 'trims' may not be easy to prove were trimmed.

mq711 04-29-2020 01:05 PM

I think what will loose it for the compliment is the same excuse the TPGs always use: it’s just an”opinion,” everyone can have one.

Aquarian Sports Cards 04-29-2020 01:19 PM

The truth can't be libelous...

Leon 04-29-2020 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1975876)
The truth can't be libelous...

I don't think so. If I am not mistaking the truth is the best defense.

Aquarian Sports Cards 04-29-2020 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1975881)

Exactly. Of course being right and being willing to deal with it in court and all the associated expenses is another story. That's precisely why lawyers send scare letters. Apparently in this case, as in many, it worked.

JunkyJoe 04-29-2020 02:31 PM

Anyone else wondering ...

... if a certain swindler is high on drugs most of the time? I can't help but make certain behavioral connections to the biography of that sleazy Belfort dude in The Wolf Of Wallstreet.

japhi 04-29-2020 02:45 PM

Best part about that letter is the “investor” that deems the card is now worth half based on the thread at BO. The implication is that the discussion itself is what hurts the cards value as opposed to the alleged alteration.

Which of course is ridiculous, the investor obviously believes that the alteration occurred and that the card has an AUTH value, hence the 350k.

And FWIW, I don’t blame PWCC for playing this game where they send the cards back to the TPG. Card was graded in 2006. Lots of shenanigans with PWCC but this is clearly on the TPG.

Fuddjcal 04-29-2020 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1975881)

The entire thing is totally absurd:) Truth is stranger than fiction.

https://youtu.be/sxAk3B_zS5k?t=84

bounce 04-29-2020 04:40 PM

You guys all obviously forgot

PICTURES AREN'T EVIDENCE!

also, it's apparently "...stemming from the publc message board statement...". PUBLC - got it. :)

bounce 04-29-2020 04:51 PM

and one more thing - can you not just put that card next to another one from the set, ok another one of the lebrons for that matter, and figure out that it's short?

anyway...back to the beginning of the 20th century for me.

Rhotchkiss 04-29-2020 05:25 PM

It is my understanding that the pwcc letter was not sent to blowout, but rather was provided to (one or more) investors in an effort to validate value and to disclose the situation.

Bigdaddy 04-29-2020 06:24 PM

Reminds me of the six phases of a big project:

1. Enthusiasm, "Hey, PSA is here to save the day" "Never get cheated"
2. Disillusionment, "Wait, those cards look strange, altered almost"
3. Panic, hysteria and overtime, "Oh crap, I've got high grade PSAs in my collection"
4. Hunt for the guilty, BODA hard at work, unearthing evidence
5. Punishment of the innocent, "PWCC: Here's a letter from my lawyer, stop looking for dirt"
6. Reward for the uninvolved. We'll see.

MULLINS5 04-29-2020 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1975950)
It is my understanding that the pwcc letter was not sent to blowout, but rather was provided to (one or more) investors in an effort to validate value and to disclose the situation.

Almost sounds like they're trying to assess damages to Blowout or the posters.

conor912 04-29-2020 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MULLINS5 (Post 1976008)
Almost sounds like they're trying to assess damages to Blowout or the posters.

Ah, the old “the truth is not the problem, but rather the person pointing out said truth” defense. Wonder where I’ve seen that before.

MULLINS5 04-30-2020 06:13 AM

Looks like the card owner contacted Brent with concerns, Brent suggested the card go back to Beckett, Beckett confirmed grade, Brent then writes a letter saying he believes the card has lost half if it's value due to Blowout (not specifically named) and now the owner wants talks about the card's alterations to stop. Brent didn't have to put anything about value in the letter, all he had to do was say the card checked out, but instead he wants his customer to put heat onto the message board. Unprofessional and petty.

bnorth 04-30-2020 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1975888)
Exactly. Of course being right and being willing to deal with it in court and all the associated expenses is another story. That's precisely why lawyers send scare letters. Apparently in this case, as in many, it worked.

One of the bigger scum bags in the hobby is always threatening with his lawyer when called out for his super shady dealings. Seems to work pretty good for him.:)

jad22 04-30-2020 07:10 AM

This is pretty mind boggling. Its a serialized card, where it is described as having issues present in 2006, that are no longer there.

Exhibitman 04-30-2020 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1976090)
One of the bigger scum bags in the hobby is always threatening with his lawyer when called out for his super shady dealings.

You'll have to be more specific; that could apply to dozens of hobby parasites.

As for Blowout, the owner folded in the face of an obvious bluff. They should have told whoever sent the demand letter to go f^< k themselves. A case against Blowout for something a poster wrote has no merit because Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act gives interactive online services of all types broad immunity from defamation claims stemming from content created by others:

"No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider."

The threat is so lacking in legal justification that after the lawsuit is thrown out of Federal court, BO could sue the attorney stupid enough to file the case for malicious prosecution. In state courts in Cali and some other states with anti-SLAPP laws (laws that punish the use of frivolous lawsuits to stifle debates about issues relevant to a segment of the public), the case would be disposed of in the initial pleading stages as well, with sanctions against the plaintiff for bringing it in the first place.

All BO has now done is to geld the board: anyone who is angry at anything posted just needs to send a lawyer letter and it will be censored.

Leon 04-30-2020 07:40 AM

I have gotten many Cease And Desist letters. Almost all of them I just laugh at. Since lawyers started understanding what Section 230 does (defines who a publisher of information is) they mostly quit. And of course a forum owner is not liable for what a member says, so I never have had a concern. I can even edit someone's post, and as long as I don't change the meaning, I am still not liable. I have told a few lawyers to go read 230, F off and get back to me. None ever did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1976106)
You'll have to be more specific; that could apply to dozens of hobby parasites.

As for Blowout, the owner folded in the face of an obvious bluff. They should have told whoever sent the demand letter to go f^< k themselves. A case against Blowout for something a poster wrote has no merit because Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act gives interactive online services of all types broad immunity from defamation claims stemming from content created by others:

"No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider."

The threat is so lacking in legal justification that after the lawsuit is thrown out of Federal court, BO could sue the attorney stupid enough to file the case for malicious prosecution. In state courts in Cali and some other states with anti-SLAPP laws (laws that punish the use of frivolous lawsuits to stifle debates about issues relevant to a segment of the public), the case would be disposed of in the initial pleading stages as well, with sanctions against the plaintiff for bringing it in the first place.

All BO has now done is to geld the board: anyone who is angry at anything posted just needs to send a lawyer letter and it will be censored.

Rhotchkiss 04-30-2020 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1976108)
I have gotten many Cease And Desist letters. Almost all of them I just laugh at. Since lawyers started understanding what Section 230 does (defines who a publisher of information is) they mostly quit. And of course a forum owner is not liable for what a member says, so I never have had a concern. I can even edit someone's post, and as long as I don't change the meaning, I am still not liable. I have told a few lawyers to go read 230, F off and get back to me. None ever did.

Plus, no tort has been committed. Its a shame Blowout got intimidated and shut the thread down. Like Adam, I would have told the guy to shove is altered card up his backside.

MULLINS5 04-30-2020 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1976115)
Plus, no tort has been committed. Its a shame Blowout got intimidated and shut the thread down. Like Adam, I would have told the guy to shove is altered card up his backside.

I think they did the right thing. The thread wasn't poofed (that would be bad) instead they just locked it and provided scans warning other members that perhaps they (NOT BO) could get hit with a letter, too.

Actually a nice little jab BO did to PWCC, BGS, and the card owner.

topcat61 09-27-2020 05:40 PM

Has the FBI officially closed this case?

bobbyw8469 09-28-2020 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topcat61 (Post 2021207)

I don't think so.

bnorth 09-28-2020 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topcat61 (Post 2021207)

Not sure, their lawyer did an excellent job of making the whole thing disappear. Like posters on his forum.:D:D:D

perezfan 09-28-2020 10:37 AM

If the FBI thinks that issuing a few random refunds exonerates PWCC and PSA from the fraud they committed, that's really sad.

Hopefully they realize that 99% of the altered cards sold have not been refunded, and that the vast majority are still circulating among countless dealers/auction houses/collectors.

mantlefan 09-28-2020 05:13 PM

Fbi

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2021374)
If the FBI thinks that issuing a few random refunds exonerates PWCC and PSA from the fraud they committed, that's really sad.

Hopefully they realize that 99% of the altered cards sold have not been refunded, and that the vast majority are still circulating among countless dealers/auction houses/collectors.

If only they would delve deeper we would all be a lot happier, but given the present state of affairs in the country they're not sending Elliot Ness and the Untouchables out to Oregon anytime soon. (Yeah I know he was a Treasury agent, but how much name recognition does Melvin Purvis have?)