Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   1989 Fleer Randy Johnson #381 Marlboro Errors - 30 Years Later (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=263992)

Hatorade 07-19-2022 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2243605)
I love to bash PSA as much as the next person. Saying that they should have 2 different flips. One that says corrected and one that says error version or something similar.

Even those of us that super collect these things can't agree on all the different variations. We sure can't expect PSA to get it correct.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Statfreak101 (Post 2243619)
You're right - but they could sure do the hobby & the people that pay them justice by doing it right.

https://www.psacard.com/articles/art...rading-process

I would assume that PSA isn’t using their Genamint AI technology for grading these cards yet. PSA says “It will also provide unique card identification – or “card fingerprinting” – by identifying the exact card in order to track provenance, resubmissions, condition changes and other attributes over time.” Genamint software, at a minimum, should be able provide a little bit more consistency when it comes to labeling Ad on Scoreboard vs Ad Partially Insured. It should also be able to prevent any of the error cards being labeled as Ad Completely Blacked Out and conversely any of the common cards/non-errors being labeled as Ad on Scoreboard/Ad Partially Obscured. The inconsistency and mislabeling are continuing with cards graded very recently with too much frequency to be an actual result of AI technology.

There isn’t a more relevant card to show that the Genamint AI software technology works than the 1989 Fleer Marlboro errors. It makes me excited about the future proper grading of these cards. If PSA is able to fingerprint an exact card, the changes made by Fleer to the error cards should be both easily traceable and also quantifiable with their software. PSA is telling us that they have the technology to grade the cards properly, so at some point why wouldn’t we expect them to get it correct?

bnorth 07-19-2022 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatorade (Post 2243843)
https://www.psacard.com/articles/art...rading-process

I would assume that PSA isn’t using their Genamint AI technology for grading these cards yet. PSA says “It will also provide unique card identification – or “card fingerprinting” – by identifying the exact card in order to track provenance, resubmissions, condition changes and other attributes over time.” Genamint software, at a minimum, should be able provide a little bit more consistency when it comes to labeling Ad on Scoreboard vs Ad Partially Insured. It should also be able to prevent any of the error cards being labeled as Ad Completely Blacked Out and conversely any of the common cards/non-errors being labeled as Ad on Scoreboard/Ad Partially Obscured. The inconsistency and mislabeling are continuing with cards graded very recently with too much frequency to be an actual result of AI technology.

There isn’t a more relevant card to show that the Genamint AI software technology works than the 1989 Fleer Marlboro errors. It makes me excited about the future proper grading of these cards. If PSA is able to fingerprint an exact card, the changes made by Fleer to the error cards should be both easily traceable and also quantifiable with their software. PSA is telling us that they have the technology to grade the cards properly, so at some point why wouldn’t we expect them to get it correct?

IF and that is a very big if they can "fingerprint" each card at best they might be able to pick out cards that have been resubmited.

To me this card and the slight tint differences will never be listed by each variation because of the very slight tinting differances. The Bill Ripken to me is the perfect card because there are very distinct differances in them.

Statfreak101 07-19-2022 01:28 PM

It just is maddening, infuriating, when you see cards listed on eBay that are "Marlboro Ad on Scoreboard" that are LESS VISIBLE than ones that get the "Ad Partially Obscured" label.

Of course when you reach out to PSA about it, they just throw their hands up in the air and tell you there is nothing they can do about it.

Frustrating!

lowpopper 07-22-2022 10:59 PM

I would like to see the variations on the label one day

steve5838 09-04-2022 10:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Did one of you get this? It was purchased just as I opened the counter offer. Congratulations to whoever got it.

Statfreak101 09-14-2022 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve5838 (Post 2260347)
Did one of you get this? It was purchased just as I opened the counter offer. Congratulations to whoever got it.

That would be me, good sir!

hockeyhockey 09-14-2022 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Statfreak101 (Post 2263467)

you gonna open it? would love to hear how that goes

Statfreak101 09-14-2022 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyhockey (Post 2263474)
you gonna open it? would love to hear how that goes

Will most likely be sending to BBCE first and then probably open a box or two. May sell a couple, too.

hockeyhockey 09-14-2022 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Statfreak101 (Post 2263475)
Will most likely be sending to BBCE first and then probably open a box or two. May sell a couple, too.

nice nice. keep all of us randy marlboro nerds posted :)

Statfreak101 09-15-2022 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyhockey (Post 2263529)
nice nice. keep all of us randy marlboro nerds posted :)

Will do - I am hoping there are 20 boxes with the Clear Marlboro showing.

Ha!

steve5838 09-16-2022 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Statfreak101 (Post 2263467)

Congratulations! I've never seen one with such an early code. I hope you get a bunch of clears and blues!!

ejstel 09-17-2022 08:02 AM

Anyone interested in a weekend project?

I posted 50 RJ rookies for sale in the summer.

No Marlboro but maybe some of these other variations?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Best,
Ed

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

jacksoncoupage 09-17-2022 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejstel (Post 2264655)

Best,
Ed

Do you have better pics of the sign area? The ones I can make out are all the fully blacked out version.

bnorth 09-17-2022 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejstel (Post 2264655)

Best,
Ed

Relist the Johnson cards with way better pictures and a realistic price and they might sell.

Would need to see what version every card is. Your price would be good if they all had the box version error. The regular version like the ones that can be seen in your listing are $.50 cards on a good day IMHO.

ejstel 09-17-2022 07:01 PM

Thanks- I'm good

Hatorade 10-12-2022 10:09 PM

https://www.sbnation.com/2022/10/12/...o-nfl-mariners

Maybe Randy’s passion and knowledge of photography ties into the story of the Marlboro advertisement appearing directly behind The Unit in both the 1989 Fleer and 1987 Donn Jennings cards. It seems plausible that Randy could have picked or contributed to his placement in the photos. It may be more than a coincidence the Marlboro ad and iconic Liberty Bell are located behind him. The image on the 89 Fleer has some amazing depth of field and none of the other photos taken of players that day had any similar angle/background.

lowpopper 11-05-2022 10:43 AM

is there any direct interview with randy asking him about this?

jacksoncoupage 12-16-2022 09:38 AM

Just in case anyone is looking for an instant collection of Randys, I'll be parting with my collection.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=329078

bnorth 12-16-2022 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage (Post 2294684)
Just in case anyone is looking for an instant collection of Randys, I'll be parting with my collection.

Great cards GLWS.

jacksoncoupage 12-16-2022 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2294692)
Great cards GLWS.

Thank you. Now if only I could magically show them online as they appear in hand.

That said, I can't say that I really want to sell them...

bnorth 12-16-2022 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage (Post 2294718)
Thank you. Now if only I could magically show them online as they appear in hand.

That said, I can't say that I really want to sell them...

I hear you. I have always had trouble getting good pics of them. What works best for me is taking a picture of them in direct sunlight.

steve5838 12-21-2022 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage (Post 2294684)

I'm sorry to hear it but understand too. I swear it seems like PSA is trying to kill this card. I've never seen their labeling convention so out of whack. I'm currently battling to get this one relabeled as Ad on Scoreboard but they are holding firm on the Partially Obscured label. I just don't get it...

bnorth 12-21-2022 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve5838 (Post 2296417)
I'm sorry to hear it but understand too. I swear it seems like PSA is trying to kill this card. I've never seen their labeling convention so out of whack. I'm currently battling to get this one relabeled as Ad on Scoreboard but they are holding firm on the Partially Obscured label. I just don't get it...

It is not just that card they don't discriminate. They will screw up any card at any time for any reason.:D

Did you ever get the somewhat similar card I sent you graded? Been meaning to ask for a while.

Statfreak101 12-22-2022 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve5838 (Post 2296417)

Yep - and yet, you can search eBay and other sale sites and see "Marlboro Ad on Scoreboard" cards that show corrected versions, black boxes, partial ads showing, etc.

It is so dumb.

steve5838 12-22-2022 02:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2296438)
It is not just that card they don't discriminate. They will screw up any card at any time for any reason.:D

Did you ever get the somewhat similar card I sent you graded? Been meaning to ask for a while.

Ben, this is actually a different card than the one you sent me. I cropped the above pic from this one (see the uncropped card below). I bought this already graded card on eBay last month. I just sent you a PM about the similar one you sent me.

bnorth 12-22-2022 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve5838 (Post 2296692)
Ben, this is actually a different card than the one you sent me. I cropped the above pic from this one (see the uncropped card below). I bought this already graded card on eBay last month. I just sent you a PM about the similar one you sent me.

That is why I said somewhat similar.:) The one in the post is a very nice card. Sadly as I age and my eyesight gets worse I have less and less interest in the Johnson cards. With the many versions a person needs great eyes to appreciate them fully.

Statfreak101 01-06-2023 09:36 AM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16587205026...Bk9SR9rX-v6wYQ

Pardon my language, but is this a fucking joke?

bnorth 01-06-2023 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Statfreak101 (Post 2301649)

Yes and no. That is just the normal quality of grading by PSA. On the other hand I love screw ups so I will be bidding on it.

Statfreak101 01-06-2023 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2301663)
Yes and no. That is just the normal quality of grading by PSA. On the other hand I love screw ups so I will be bidding on it.

It just ticks me off when I am sitting on a mountain of clearer Marlboro ads that were labeled as "partial" and then I see this nonsense.

What a joke.

steve5838 01-09-2023 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Statfreak101 (Post 2301683)
It just ticks me off when I am sitting on a mountain of clearer Marlboro ads that were labeled as "partial" and then I see this nonsense.

What a joke.

Agreed. It doesn't make sense to me either. Obviously they just don't care. In my opinion I would rather they ditched their labeling convention on the card entirely if they can't apply it consistently (and communicate the convention to collectors). At least then people wouldn't be confused by inconsistencies in labeling the exact same variation multiple ways.

steve5838 01-15-2023 12:06 PM

Easier way to view Marlboro letters in blue stencil cards

2 Attachment(s)
It can be a little difficult to see the "Marlboro" letters in blue stencil (i.e., negative) version cards shown in posts #284 and #301. As my eyes get worse I need to tilt the card just so in the light for the letters to appear clearly. I just found that if you shine a black light on the sign the letters stand out immediately and quite clearly. In case anyone is interested, here are a couple pics showing the cards with my black light pen shining on the signs.

Unless the lights are on bright in a room it can be hard to differentiate versions outside of the clear one. This little trick with the blacklight should help me find the blue stencil ones quickly from now on.

bnorth 01-15-2023 12:38 PM

That is a great tip. Any idea how many are known? They are a fairly new version to me.

steve5838 01-16-2023 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2304551)
That is a great tip. Any idea how many are known? They are a fairly new version to me.

I'm only aware of 4 of these blue stencil cards currently (I have 2 light blue stencils and 1 dark blue (which is a more "blue box" like stencil) and Hatorade I believe has has one dark blue one). However it is a more obscure version that people may not immediately realize they have (unlike the blue/turquoise tint, and clear versions which immediately stand out). You had mentioned to me that the 2 blue stencil cards (one with darker blue and one with lighter blue) are really the same version - and the difference between them is the ink level. In that case I would expect many more of these to be out there somewhere with varying degrees of blue ink level between the dark and light ones I have.

Hopefully this blacklight "trick" will help more come out of the woodwork. If anyone finds any of these blue stencil cards it would be great if you could post pics of the signs on the cards for comparison. For this purpose the blacklight trick works really well too.

bnorth 01-16-2023 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Statfreak101 (Post 2301649)

This card just sold and went for more than I would pay. Any guesses on what version it actually is? It is obviously not a corrected version.

Statfreak101 01-17-2023 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2304850)
This card just sold and went for more than I would pay. Any guesses on what version it actually is? It is obviously not a corrected version.

How can you say it is not a corrected version based on the pictures in the listing?

bnorth 01-17-2023 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Statfreak101 (Post 2305233)
How can you say it is not a corrected version based on the pictures in the listing?

Look above his left ear and tell me that is a corrected version.:)

Statfreak101 01-17-2023 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2305261)
Look above his left ear and tell me that is a corrected version.:)

Gotcha.

I don't view that card and the one without the gap between his ear as anything significant. Point of my original post was that this is no way, in any possible manner, an ad visible card.

bnorth 01-17-2023 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Statfreak101 (Post 2305270)
Gotcha.

I don't view that card and the one without the gap between his ear as anything significant. Point of my original post was that this is no way, in any possible manner, an ad visible card.

The gap just means it is anything but the corrected version. I would guess it is one of the super dark green box cards.

Statfreak101 01-18-2023 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2305274)
The gap just means it is anything but the corrected version. I would guess it is one of the super dark green box cards.

That isn't necessarily true - there are black/corrected (not the final version) versions without the gap that show no ad or box.

bnorth 01-18-2023 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Statfreak101 (Post 2305442)
That isn't necessarily true - there are black/corrected (not the final version) versions without the gap that show no ad or box.

I have never seen one. I believe Dylan once said he had one or seen one but that is the only time I have heard of one. Do you have one?

Statfreak101 01-18-2023 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2305446)
I have never seen one. I believe Dylan once said he had one or seen one but that is the only time I have heard of one. Do you have one?

Yes, I have multiple of those.

jacksoncoupage 01-18-2023 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2305446)

Absolutely have seen what appears to be this type. I say what "what appears" because all efforts have been exhausted to make out a box or any remnant of the sign in the two examples I have owned. Yet that little notch is there. Maybe someone with more advanced methods could reveal more detail?

I had previously been convinced that the only RJs without the notch are full, blacked out corrections.

jacksoncoupage 01-18-2023 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Statfreak101 (Post 2305490)

I'd love to see a pic or pics of them if you get the chance to post them.

lowpopper 01-20-2023 01:21 AM

1989 fleer could be its own netflix doc

bnorth 01-24-2023 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Statfreak101 (Post 2305490)

Could you post a picture of them all together?

Statfreak101 01-25-2023 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2307660)
Could you post a picture of them all together?

Here is one of them.

https://ibb.co/RjhgTmL

bnorth 01-25-2023 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Statfreak101 (Post 2307918)
Here is one of them.

That is just the normal corrected version.

Look at the slightly higher black bar below the Bell. The version that sold has the shorter line the stops just after the bell like the many Marlboro versions.

bnorth 01-25-2023 11:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Statfreak101 (Post 2307918)
Here is one of them.

Here are a couple close ups to show the difference in that area.

jacksoncoupage 01-25-2023 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2307921)
That is just the normal corrected version.

Look at the slightly higher black bar below the Bell. The version that sold has the shorter line the stops just after the bell like the many Marlboro versions.

Yep. 100%

steve5838 02-20-2023 08:25 AM

Rehold is back

1 Attachment(s)
The card I posted a picture of on 12/22 has been reholdered by PSA.... but $39 later (including shipping) the label stayed the same. Here is the new scan from PSA. I still don't get it. I guess they are no longer putting the Ad on Scoreboard label on any version other than the clear?? After so much back and forth with them on this particular submission I will not be sending any more RJs to PSA. Be careful if having this particular label from a TPG matters to you. Steve