Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Travels of "Large Ass" Herzog (photo log) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=135841)

nebboy 06-15-2016 01:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
beach

Bpm0014 06-16-2016 08:06 AM

Where is the card now? I'm going to the US Open. If it can be overnighted I'll be happy to take some pics of Buck in the deep rough.....

nebboy 06-16-2016 09:07 AM

3 Attachment(s)
As stated he is going to College World Series this weekend ( June 18,19 ) I will post photos then. I've had a request already for him next but haven't finalized, will keep all informed as to his next temporary home.

Leon 06-17-2016 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nebboy (Post 1551403)
As stated he is going to College World Series this weekend ( June 18,19 ) I will post photos then. I've had a request already for him next but haven't finalized, will keep all informed as to his next temporary home.

Thanks for taking good care of him John. He should enjoy the College World Series. It's always fun watching the youth.

nebboy 06-20-2016 12:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tcu horn frog

frankbmd 06-20-2016 12:39 PM

Isn't the penalty for deleting a Large Ass photo quite severe?

xplainer 06-20-2016 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1553039)
Isn't the penalty for deleting a Large Ass photo quite severe?

Yes, there is. A Large Ass Penalty (LAP).

Leon 06-28-2016 08:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks to John for getting Large Ass back to his regrouping ground in Lucas TX, just north of Dallas. He also wants to thank the several folks who have requested his presence. As was mentioned Large Ass really wants to make his annual pilgrimage to the National Sports Collectors Convention again this year. So he is going to be hopping on a plane for an international flight to Canada where he will visit the Rockies and NY before taking in the scenery in Atlantic City. Chris B, our resident overlay expert, will be his chaperone. Take good care of him Chris....

Here he is looking out the window in Lucas (in his waterproof baggie from an unknown source) and waiting to go....

btcarfagno 06-28-2016 08:37 AM

Large ass is looking rather shapely if I do say so myself.

Tom C

nebboy 06-28-2016 10:34 AM

Deleted

abothebear 07-07-2016 01:52 PM

Top 10

Over the last few weeks this thread has moved into the top ten most viewed threads on this site. Many of the most viewed threads have to do with negative aspects of the hobby. I like to see threads like this one, the plate scratch thread, "what do you do for a living" the virtual t206 collection, and other positive threads move up the ranks.

abothebear 01-14-2017 11:27 AM

Where's Buck?

Is he lost?

Leon 01-14-2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abothebear (Post 1620472)
Is he lost?

I don't think he's lost. ....have info but am out of pocket right now

frankbmd 01-14-2017 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abothebear (Post 1559218)
Over the last few weeks this thread has moved into the top ten most viewed threads on this site. Many of the most viewed threads have to do with negative aspects of the hobby. I like to see threads like this one, the plate scratch thread, "what do you do for a living" the virtual t206 collection, and other positive threads move up the ranks.

Gosh, I certainly hope that you are not implying that the monster numbers are a negative thread :eek::eek::eek:

Just ask Large Ass ,when you see him, he'll vouch for me.:D:D

Jantz 01-14-2017 11:53 PM

I was thinking about Large Ass the other day and was going to mention maybe making him this year's Net54 T-shirt logo or National pin.

Yes/No?

Leon 01-15-2017 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jantz (Post 1620667)
I was thinking about Large Ass the other day and was going to mention maybe making him this year's Net54 T-shirt logo or National pin.

Yes/No?

I sent a message to Chris Brow.ne last night and haven't hard back. From the above message 6 mos ago it looks like I sent him to him but I also have a tracking number to Omaha? Hopefully Large Ass isn't lost. :eek:

Leon 01-17-2017 03:46 PM

I communicated with Chris today and Large Ass Herzog will be making his way back to the Dallas area to do the Rich Klein and DallasCardShow local shows. After that he will be looking for his next gig....I would imagine it will be 4-5 weeks since one of the shows was just done.

spaidly 01-17-2017 07:51 PM

This is an amazing thread. Posting to get on the subscription train. Go Large Ass!

Leon 02-28-2017 05:35 PM

Large Ass made it back to Lucas (near Dallas) Texas today. He is setting up with me at the show this coming weekend and we'll report back. Thanks to Chris B for getting him through customs with our friends at our Northern border.

clydepepper 02-28-2017 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jantz (Post 1620667)

Yes/No?

Hey, Leon!
I think having Large Ass in Net54 T-Shirt form is a great idea! Perhaps, the actual design could be taken from one of his many scenes...some exotic locale many of us may not have experienced.

Besides, it would be nice to have Large Ass appear on the FRONT of one of my T-Shirts for a change. :rolleyes:

By the way, could you post a pic of the back of LA Buck?.........I'm not sure I have ever actually seen where the legendary moniker came from.

abothebear 03-03-2017 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1636310)
By the way, could you post a pic of the back of LA Buck?.........I'm not sure I have ever actually seen where the legendary moniker came from.

Here is a link to the original thread - with a photo of the back.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=135418

abothebear 03-03-2017 06:57 PM

And here is a link to the origination of Buck's travels.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=135445

ty_cobb 03-03-2017 07:20 PM

Bucky

can anyone get Bucky up here for summer? or is he lost?

abothebear 03-03-2017 07:52 PM

see post #419

ty_cobb 03-03-2017 07:59 PM

Bucky

has Bucky attended a wedding yet? lol

abothebear 08-31-2017 09:25 PM

re-boot

We need to get some new life into the great travelling Large Ass Herzog adventure. He and the forum community have been loafing for too long.

Where is he? And where is he going next?

Leon 08-31-2017 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abothebear (Post 1696680)
We need to get some new life into the great travelling Large Ass Herzog adventure. He and the forum community have been loafing for too long.

Where is he? And where is he going next?

Large Ass went to the National but stayed in most of the time. He was unusually shy this year.

Michael B (hi Michael) has him as of a few days ago. Here is a message from Michael to me a week and a half ago-

"I had previously brought him to Switzerland, Washington D.C. and Mt. Vernon. I will be going to Austria and Slovakia Labor Day week and would be interested in taking him along. I am leaving on Sunday, September 3."

abothebear 09-01-2017 07:33 PM

Groovy, glad to hear he is on the move.

JustinD 05-07-2018 01:11 PM

This was always a favorite of mine, any news on the Amelia Earhart of cards lately?

Leon 05-07-2018 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 1774199)
This was always a favorite of mine, any news on the Amelia Earhart of cards lately?

I haven't heard. He is quasi missing in action. I will reach out to Michael and report back.

ullmandds 05-07-2018 02:08 PM

this is unacceptable...Large Ass was created to be passed around...dammit! And I want him for my sept trip to bulgaria please.

guy3050 05-07-2018 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 1774199)

It was sent out to get the Purple Sticker

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=254339

abothebear 05-10-2018 05:27 PM

Ride again, Buck!

Let's not let this thread fade away before we get some movement on this.

Buck is a traveler. He needs to be travelin'.

Michael B 05-10-2018 08:24 PM

It was mailed back to Leon on Tuesday afternoon. Tracking says it arrived in the Dallas Network Distribution Center and will be delivered tomorrow. It was sitting next to my scanner and I just forgot about it until Leon reached out. He did make it to Austria and Slovakia and I will try to post photos.

Leon 05-14-2018 09:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Michael. He arrived back a day or two ago. He had quite a journey and thanks for taking care of him over all of those thousands of miles. By the looks of his case he has been having some fun. Novus #2 was used on it, to try to get the scratches and staining off, but it is aged. :o, like some of the rest of us. Maybe SGC will Re-Holder him as Large Ass Herzog? Here he is with the most recent posts of his experiences (in the little black book which travels with him.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B (Post 1775514)
It was mailed back to Leon on Tuesday afternoon. Tracking says it arrived in the Dallas Network Distribution Center and will be delivered tomorrow. It was sitting next to my scanner and I just forgot about it until Leon reached out. He did make it to Austria and Slovakia and I will try to post photos.

Michael B 05-14-2018 08:26 PM

9 Attachment(s)
I got lazy and never posted on my trip to Austria and Slovakia the week of Labor Day last year. I had Large Ass sitting next to my scanner and just forgot about it. As Leon said to me 'It is just a hobby'. Be that as it may his scans give the gist of the trip and I thought I should add some photos and commentary. The one thing I have done in the log is buy a local postage stamp and have it cancelled in the book. I believe this is the second time. It would be nice to see others do this. Most postal authorities will affix a cancellation to any stamp of proper postage as long as it is affixed to something. I think this adds to the overall look.

As you can see we spent several days in Vienna visiting all of the important museums, a few churches and a castle. We walked 5-6 miles each day after getting into the old city from our hotel on the Danube river After Vienna it was a short train ride to the capital of Slovakia, Bratislava. Bratislava is the only world capital that abuts two other countries; Hungary to the south and Austria to the west. The hotel in Bratislava was across the street from a very large mall. Unlike in the U.S. the mall is opened until 9 p.m. seven days a week except for the few national holidays. There were 4 banks in the mall which kept the same hours as the mall. It was great to go in there on Sunday night, prior to leaving on Monday, to exchange my Euros. The exchange rate was great. The interbank exchange rate as €1 = $1.25 which is the rate you would see on any currency converter website. They exchanged at €1 = $1.22 and the transaction fee was only about $5.00. What a deal!! Here are the photos

1. Large Ass with 'Napolean at St. Bernard' by Jacques-Louis David. Almost every book about Napolean contains a reproduction of this painting. David painted 5 originals of this painting. This is the one he did in 1803, the 4th version. This debunks all of those people who say paintings are 1 of 1.

2. I swear neither Large Ass or myself is responsible for the paint missing from this statue.

3. 'The Kiss' by Gustav Klimpt. One of the most famous Austrian paintings ever by one of their most celebrated artists. The number of people taking selfies (hate that word!!!) with this painting is ridiculous. It even has its own guard standing next to it the whole day.

4. Large Ass in the Heldenplatz at Hofburg Castle. That gentleman could see I was tired and was kind enough to bend down so I could rest Large Ass on his head. This castle houses several large collections - armor, musical instruments, china. We got to see a Stradivarius. The castle is also home to the state library and the Spanische Hofreitschule (Spanish Riding School) and the Lippizan stallions.

5. I tried to trade Large Ass for this crown from the crown jewels. I thought it was a fair deal, but they did not.

6. Large Ass likes classical music so we made our way to Mozarthaus. This is residence is where Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart composed "The Magic Flute".

7. The hotel sits right on the Danube River so Large Ass spent a little time hanging out riverside.

8. Large Ass at the World Olympic Collector's Fair in Bratislava.

9. Large Ass with the Olympic flag signed by all the participants of the fair. Yours truly signed in the yellow ring.

Leon 05-20-2018 11:48 AM

Those was some great adventures for Large Ass. I am sure he appreciates getting out a little as he is standing by for his next encounter. The only caveat is a promise to get him back to us and kept in circulation. Thanks Michael.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B (Post 1776850)
I got lazy and never posted on my trip to Austria and Slovakia the week of Labor Day last year. I had Large Ass sitting next to my scanner and just forgot about it. As Leon said to me 'It is just a hobby'. Be that as it may his scans give the gist of the trip and I thought I should add some photos and commentary. The one thing I have done in the log is buy a local postage stamp and have it cancelled in the book. I believe this is the second time. It would be nice to see others do this. Most postal authorities will affix a cancellation to any stamp of proper postage as long as it is affixed to something. I think this adds to the overall look.

As you can see we spent several days in Vienna visiting all of the important museums, a few churches and a castle. We walked 5-6 miles each day after getting into the old city from our hotel on the Danube river After Vienna it was a short train ride to the capital of Slovakia, Bratislava. Bratislava is the only world capital that abuts two other countries; Hungary to the south and Austria to the west. The hotel in Bratislava was across the street from a very large mall. Unlike in the U.S. the mall is opened until 9 p.m. seven days a week except for the few national holidays. There were 4 banks in the mall which kept the same hours as the mall. It was great to go in there on Sunday night, prior to leaving on Monday, to exchange my Euros. The exchange rate was great. The interbank exchange rate as €1 = $1.25 which is the rate you would see on any currency converter website. They exchanged at €1 = $1.22 and the transaction fee was only about $5.00. What a deal!! Here are the photos

1. Large Ass with 'Napolean at St. Bernard' by Jacques-Louis David. Almost every book about Napolean contains a reproduction of this painting. David painted 5 originals of this painting. This is the one he did in 1803, the 4th version. This debunks all of those people who say paintings are 1 of 1.

2. I swear neither Large Ass or myself is responsible for the paint missing from this statue.

3. 'The Kiss' by Gustav Klimpt. One of the most famous Austrian paintings ever by one of their most celebrated artists. The number of people taking selfies (hate that word!!!) with this painting is ridiculous. It even has its own guard standing next to it the whole day.

4. Large Ass in the Heldenplatz at Hofburg Castle. That gentleman could see I was tired and was kind enough to bend down so I could rest Large Ass on his head. This castle houses several large collections - armor, musical instruments, china. We got to see a Stradivarius. The castle is also home to the state library and the Spanische Hofreitschule (Spanish Riding School) and the Lippizan stallions.

5. I tried to trade Large Ass for this crown from the crown jewels. I thought it was a fair deal, but they did not.

6. Large Ass likes classical music so we made our way to Mozarthaus. This is residence is where Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart composed "The Magic Flute".

7. The hotel sits right on the Danube River so Large Ass spent a little time hanging out riverside.

8. Large Ass at the World Olympic Collector's Fair in Bratislava.

9. Large Ass with the Olympic flag signed by all the participants of the fair. Yours truly signed in the yellow ring.

clydepepper 05-26-2018 06:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've never been much of a world traveler, but I had to find a way to get involved in this thread, so I purchased a 'poor-man's' L.A. Herzog - I will, however, be traveling to D.C. next month...so, it it's okay, I'll post pictures of my 'large ass' (don't worry, I mean the card) at certain sites.

Attachment 317552Attachment 317553

BosseFieldBoy 05-27-2018 04:31 PM

I live a boring life, but I’d be happy to take Large Ass into the bowels of eastern Kentucky. Large Ass would fit in great in Pikeville, KY

Baseballcrazy62 05-29-2018 08:01 PM

If Large Ass is interested I could provide a tour for him to see Powell’s T206 collection at the Detroit Institute of Arts. Maybe he would loosen up a bit if he saw some familiar faces.

Leon 05-30-2018 06:08 AM

I can send him wherever .....whomever wants to take him next is fine but I would appreciate getting him back before I go to the National. He loves going to the National. The stories he can tell!!

abothebear 06-01-2018 05:05 PM

Nice photos. Looks like a fun trip.

clydepepper 06-02-2018 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1781839)
I can send him wherever .....whomever wants to take him next is fine but I would appreciate getting him back before I go to the National. He loves going to the National. The stories he can tell!!

I'm heading for D.C. on the 14th...I'd love to take Bucky!

Leon 06-02-2018 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1782921)
I'm heading for D.C. on the 14th...I'd love to take Bucky!

I should have responded. Sorry about that. I sent him a few days ago to Mike R., right above here, and who asked about him. But as I said in my pm back to you, you can be next. He even likes short walks in the park and lunches. He doesn't eat much with his side missing and all. He's usually just not up to it.

Baseballcrazy62 06-30-2018 02:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Herzog originally said “ Do or do not, there is no try”. He is at the Detroit Institute of Arts Star Wars Costume exhibit.

Baseballcrazy62 06-30-2018 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Chewy says hello to Herzog.

Baseballcrazy62 06-30-2018 02:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
On to Powell’s exhibit to say hello to some of his friends!! He wii be heading back to Texas next week to prepare for the National.

clydepepper 10-19-2018 02:47 PM

Haven't heard from Mr. Herzog in a few months.

Leon 10-19-2018 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1820954)
Haven't heard from Mr. Herzog in a few months.

He is safe and sound. Just taking a breather. He travels a lot. Not sure where he is headed to next.

clydepepper 10-19-2018 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1820961)
He is safe and sound. Just taking a breather. He travels a lot. Not sure where he is headed to next.

That's what I gathered from Mike's post - I just love the thread and the idea so much I wanted to bring it back to front page...just in case someone ne w to the forum hasn't see it yet.

SO COOL!