Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ebay managed payments - anyone using this future mandatory service yet? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=285782)

highgradelegends 07-06-2020 07:01 PM

ebay managed payments - anyone using this future mandatory service yet?

Just curious on any early reviews/feedback from sports card sellers actively using ebay managed payments now (may be you signed up a while ago?). Little change from PayPal or big changes? Positive? Negative? pros / cons?

Also, does a seller's managed payments account directly link to their ebay store or can you list items contained within a single store under multiple managed payments accounts, as when you share a single store with a spouse selling different types of non-card items? I can do this now using different paypal email addresses linked to distinct listings to keep things orderly in a single store and would love for flexibility to continue.

xplainer 07-07-2020 06:06 AM

Not sure how all this will work out.
I did go ahead and create a CashApp and Venmo accounts. Both have debit cards for cash access.
Been using them on various websites to sell and been pretty easy and smooth.
I also like the fact they are right on my phone for easy access.

I don't sell a lot on ebay anymore due to the scams and shams they happens.

I think the end of the month is when they change takes place.

bobbyw8469 07-07-2020 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xplainer (Post 1997034)
Not sure how all this will work out.
I did go ahead and create a CashApp and Venmo accounts. Both have debit cards for cash access.
Been using them on various websites to sell and been pretty easy and smooth.
I also like the fact they are right on my phone for easy access.

I don't sell a lot on ebay anymore due to the scams and shams they happens.

I think the end of the month is when they change takes place.

It's happening as we speak. It won't let me list anymore.

xplainer 07-07-2020 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1997040)

Wow.
What are the payment options?
Is there a new registration process?

bobbyw8469 07-07-2020 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xplainer (Post 1997041)
Wow.
What are the payment options?
Is there a new registration process?

The new payments options are you sign up with Ebay and let them manage your payments. That is it. They have officially kicked Paypal to the curb.

rats60 07-07-2020 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1997045)
The new payments options are you sign up with Ebay and let them manage your payments. That is it. They have officially kicked Paypal to the curb.

They haven’t contacted me about this. I sold an item yesterday and was paid with PayPal.

bobbyw8469 07-07-2020 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 1997055)
They haven’t contacted me about this. I sold an item yesterday and was paid with PayPal.

Same.....it doesn't affect anything you already have listed. If you haven't signed up for their new "managed payments" yet, then you are officially done on Ebay - at least as far as selling goes.

thecatspajamas 07-07-2020 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highgradelegends (Post 1996917)
Also, does a seller's managed payments account directly link to their ebay store or can you list items contained within a single store under multiple managed payments accounts, as when you share a single store with a spouse selling different types of non-card items? I can do this now using different paypal email addresses linked to distinct listings to keep things orderly in a single store and would love for flexibility to continue.

I'm curious as to how you're doing this now? All of my buying and selling activity links back to the same Paypal account, so it has never occurred to me to split incoming funds between multiple Paypal accounts, but I am curious as to how you have this set up to do so? I'm assuming the subscription fees for the store itself link to a single account?

highgradelegends 07-07-2020 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecatspajamas (Post 1997061)
I'm curious as to how you're doing this now? All of my buying and selling activity links back to the same Paypal account, so it has never occurred to me to split incoming funds between multiple Paypal accounts, but I am curious as to how you have this set up to do so? I'm assuming the subscription fees for the store itself link to a single account?

Answer:

I have a traditional checking bank account linked to my email address linked to a personal a paypal account.

My wife sells more higher value items than me on average and she has a traditional savings account linked to her email address linked to her personal paypal account.

On the ebay platform, when you create a listing, ebay asks you to manually type in the paypal account email address you want for payment. Sometimes ebay will use automation to plug in the default payment address you set up on your ebay account; however, you can manually changed it, either in individual listings or by editing listings in aggregate. So we use a single ebay store and then list our items in that same store, but each distinct auction listing is linked directly to the paypal accounts we choose. This has worked flawlessly for 10+ years. We have no need for two stores, so we are concerned we cannot do this present system of account in a single store, as we are not yet signed up to managed and cannot see how the listings link to new payments accounts. My fear is each ebay selling account requires its own payments account and that you cannot mix and match different payments accounts for various listings inside of a single store. I contacted ebay outsourced customer service and they could not explain to me how this will work. As a result, we have resisted the forced transition, but like others, have now run out of time.

If anyone is already using managed payments, I would like to know your feedback on how the payment accounts are linked to ebay stores.

C-mack 07-07-2020 11:05 AM

I love it! Let's the people pay with whatever and ebay collects the loot and 2 to 3 days later it's in my account with fees already taken out

teza11 07-07-2020 08:28 PM

Another possible upside for sellers with more than 200 transactions and greater than $20k in sales is that the mid-year transition effectively resets the clock back to Jan 1. In other words, PayPal will base the issuance of their 2020 1099’s on sales from Jan 1 through eBays cut-over to managed payments. EBay will begin tracking and reporting 1099 sales from the go-live date of their managed payments program. So one could sell $39k between the two and not trigger a 1099. Just say’n. Not giving tax advice or encouraging anyone to not pay their taxes in full. :)

Jeff

Hot Springs Bathers 07-07-2020 08:44 PM

When did this officially begin. I don't sell much but I listed items yesterday with no problem. Is it just for eBay store accounts?

Jewish-collector 07-08-2020 07:05 PM

So are sellers that rarely list or list very low dollar amounts then not required to change to managed payments ?

thecatspajamas 07-08-2020 07:18 PM

At this point, it is only those who have been notified that they are being changed over. Anecdotally, it does appear that the more active selling accounts are the ones being notified, but eBay has not given a clear indication of what their criteria for who gets the forced switchover they are using.

thecatspajamas 07-09-2020 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1997040)

I am hitting that wall now as well for new listings. Watching some Good 'Til Cancelled listings that are due to renew for another 30 days later today to see what happens with those. This in advance of the stated July 15 deadline to sign up.

I also got an "Independence Day" offer of a $50 invoice credit if I would go ahead and sign up for MP before July 10, which implies a certain amount of desperation on eBay's part.

I don't know what's going to happen "in late July" (still annoyed that there is not a definitive date the axe is set to fall), but it's sure to be a mess.

bobbyw8469 07-09-2020 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecatspajamas (Post 1997335)
I am hitting that wall now as well for new listings. Watching some Good 'Til Cancelled listings that are due to renew for another 30 days later today to see what happens with those. This in advance of the stated July 15 deadline to sign up.

I also got an "Independence Day" offer of a $50 invoice credit if I would go ahead and sign up for MP before July 10, which implies a certain amount of desperation on eBay's part.

I don't know what's going to happen "in late July" (still annoyed that there is not a definitive date the axe is set to fall), but it's sure to be a mess.

Most definitely. I never signed up, but they turned my ability to list back on. On both accounts. And yes, both got the letter telling me I HAD to sign up.

earlywynnfan 07-11-2020 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teza11 (Post 1997134)
Another possible upside for sellers with more than 200 transactions and greater than $20k in sales is that the mid-year transition effectively resets the clock back to Jan 1. In other words, PayPal will base the issuance of their 2020 1099’s on sales from Jan 1 through eBays cut-over to managed payments. EBay will begin tracking and reporting 1099 sales from the go-live date of their managed payments program. So one could sell $39k between the two and not trigger a 1099. Just say’n. Not giving tax advice or encouraging anyone to not pay their taxes in full. :)

Jeff

Are you sure about this? Doesn't ebay count transactions and payments even though they go through paypal? If I rack up 19K via paypal, then 19K the new way, I'd imagine I'd get a 1099 from ebay for 38K. Another headache for my accountant!

highgradelegends 07-13-2020 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlywynnfan (Post 1997931)
Are you sure about this? Doesn't ebay count transactions and payments even though they go through paypal? If I rack up 19K via paypal, then 19K the new way, I'd imagine I'd get a 1099 from ebay for 38K. Another headache for my accountant!

Ebay and paypal do not coordinate or aggregate tax information. They are independent. PayPal is a fo financial institution. Ebay is not....well...until they have managed payments up and running. Bottom line: the temporary advantage stated here is correct.

thecatspajamas 07-15-2020 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecatspajamas (Post 1997335)

Well I let the $50 invoice credit slide by, and today is the deadline for me to sign up. So far, I still cannot add new listings, but those that were on Good 'Til Cancelled are rolling over to another 30 day cycle without issue. There has been no noticeable change in the rate of sales for those fixed price listings, though I haven't been running auctions in the interim. Still waiting this one out to see how it all goes down. My curiosity is worth more than the $50 credit at this point.

For anyone looking to make the switch, from what I have heard, you would do well to verify in advance that your name and address associated with your checking account match exactly what you have registered with eBay (easiest to modify your eBay registration to match). Otherwise, even if only a middle initial is different, they start asking for additional information to verify you are who you say you are, and the array of hoops you have to jump through gets longer.

bobbyw8469 07-15-2020 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecatspajamas (Post 1999259)
Well I let the $50 invoice credit slide by, and today is the deadline for me to sign up. So far, I still cannot add new listings, but those that were on Good 'Til Cancelled are rolling over to another 30 day cycle without issue. There has been no noticeable change in the rate of sales for those fixed price listings, though I haven't been running auctions in the interim. Still waiting this one out to see how it all goes down. My curiosity is worth more than the $50 credit at this point.

For anyone looking to make the switch, from what I have heard, you would do well to verify in advance that your name and address associated with your checking account match exactly what you have registered with eBay (easiest to modify your eBay registration to match). Otherwise, even if only a middle initial is different, they start asking for additional information to verify you are who you say you are, and the array of hoops you have to jump through gets longer.

Never have a seen a company make it so difficult to do business with them.

thecatspajamas 07-15-2020 12:54 PM

Almost as if they were watching my posts here, I got an e-mail with this header within minutes of my last post:

Final Reminder: You cannot create new listings after July 15th

They haven't allowed me to create new listings for 2 weeks now. Still waiting to see what changes tomorrow...

teza11 07-15-2020 02:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
eBay just threw a bone out to all sellers. Sellers on their Managed Payments program get even more...10k more fixed price listings per month for basic store subscribers (like me) in select categories. Yes...select categories do include sports cards and collectibles. Now I'm just waiting on their next email to say that store subscriptions are being increased.

Jeff

sportscomicfantasy 07-16-2020 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teza11 (Post 1999297)
eBay just threw a bone out to all sellers. Sellers on their Managed Payments program get even more...10k more fixed price listings per month for basic store subscribers (like me) in select categories. Yes...select categories do include sports cards and collectibles. Now I'm just waiting on their next email to say that store subscriptions are being increased.

Jeff

I think they are doing it partially because of the virus to increase sales while more people are home and have more time to play around but I could be wrong.

But they also like to do it because it causes the sellers to eventually up their subscription level once the free promotion is over.

highgradelegends 07-20-2020 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teza11 (Post 1999297)

Jeff

what are the select categories.....and is that cards?

Jewish-collector 07-20-2020 08:05 PM

I'm confused. I have NOT gotten any messages at all about managed payments. Do I still need to worry about it ?

hcv123 07-21-2020 08:23 AM

Can't sell in all categories with MP!

Haven't made the switch yet. The information I have been seeing is saying that everyone will be switched by year end.

Big problem - you cannot sell in all categories if you accept managed payments!! The 2 that affect me are 1) no adults only listings and 2) no coins and paper money!!! There are others - I do not remember them.

Irony is I read a Q & A a while ago addressing this exact point which Ebay replied to at that point that you would be able to sell in all categories and nothing would change.

I sent them a question addressing it directly and I got back a response essentially mirroring the info I had read - apologizing for the "inconvenience" and stating they are working to make the MP program more inclusive.

Those categories are a small % of what I sell and I'm not happy about it, what are the coin dealers going to do!!??

thecatspajamas 07-21-2020 08:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by highgradelegends (Post 2000963)
what are the select categories.....and is that cards?

Yes, the "select categories" appear to include all leaf categories under the Collectibles and the Sports Memorabilia, Fan Shop and Sports Card branches, which would include both sports and non-sport cards.

thecatspajamas 07-21-2020 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish-collector (Post 2001004)
I'm confused. I have NOT gotten any messages at all about managed payments. Do I still need to worry about it ?

Not yet. Ebay will give you notice via e-mail and incessant on-site messages when you're to be included in the next wave.

buymycards 07-21-2020 12:44 PM

Managed payments

I read that eBay currently has 50,000 sellers who are using the Managed Payments, and they have another 250,000 who are registered. eBay wants to complete the 250,000 before the end of July, before they start the next wave.

teza11 07-22-2020 08:20 AM

eBay just activated my account for managed payments. Fingers crossed!

Jeff

bobbyw8469 07-22-2020 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teza11 (Post 2001464)
eBay just activated my account for managed payments. Fingers crossed!

Jeff

May you not got screwed over!!! Here's hoping you don't!!

teza11 07-23-2020 08:43 AM

Well, not exactly the day 1 I was hoping for. I am unable to print eBay shipping labels. Their customer service agent says it's unrelated to the cut-over to the managed payments program, but I was not having any issues prior. Anyone else experiencing issues printing eBay labels?

Jeff

Eddiez 07-23-2020 09:01 AM

eBay

I have been switched over and can print labels fine. I still haven't seen any money from sales yet but did get a email that money was being send to my bank.

thecatspajamas 07-23-2020 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddiez (Post 2001897)
I have been switched over and can print labels fine. I still haven't seen any money from sales yet but did get a email that money was being send to my bank.

So this was printing labels using funds still in Managed Payments? Or printing them on eBay but funded from Paypal as was their previous set-up? I'll also be curious to hear from you or anyone else in the latest wave of inductees when the funds successfully deposit in your account, and if there were any discrepancies with the new fee structure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by teza11 (Post 2001886)
Well, not exactly the day 1 I was hoping for. I am unable to print eBay shipping labels. Their customer service agent says it's unrelated to the cut-over to the managed payments program, but I was not having any issues prior. Anyone else experiencing issues printing eBay labels?

Jeff

Jeff, if you could, please let us know when you have successfully moved any funds from MP to Paypal by direct deposit, and what steps you took to set that up (as you had indicated in the previous thread that Bobby started).

I have had a couple of separate chats now with Paypal associates who at first seemed to indicate they were looking at providing a similar option for Paypal Business account users, where the Business account would be provided an account number and routing number as necessary to set up direct deposits. But my follow-up inquiry asking for any updates turned to the rep providing "workaround" options that essentially involved setting up new/separate accounts rather than a solution for how to get the funds directly into my existing Business account. When I advised the last rep that I chatted with that, by making it harder for eBay sellers to get the proceeds from those sales into their Paypal accounts, they are making it much more likely that those sellers will opt to bypass Paypal altogether when spending those funds, she indicated she would pass the message along to her manager.

Anyway, all of that is to say that it is looking more and more like my only option to dump the MP proceeds directly to Paypal would be to set up a separate Personal Paypal account, which in turn requires setting up a separate checking account to link it to (the last rep advised I would not be able to link multiple Paypal accounts to a single bank account), which has me questioning whether this is all worthwhile to start with. If I do go down this path though, I'd like to be sure I'm duplicating the steps to getting it to work successfully from the start.

As I stand right now still as a holdout, eBay is still rolling over the Good Til Cancelled listings to the next 30-day cycle rather than killing them, but they are not allowing me to add new listings, either through third-party API or directly on the eBay website. My active items are still selling at a decent pace though, and the funds still transferring to my Paypal account as usual, so I'm not eager to mess with anything that would interrupt cash flow for an indeterminate period of time. I've pretty much opted to coast until getting word that there is actually light at the end of the tunnel, so I really appreciate the updates from you guys and any others who have already opted in.

Eddiez 07-23-2020 10:57 AM

eBay

I have paid both ways at first the money came from paypal but a day or 2 later it started coming from managed payments. Hope this helps. Eddie

teza11 07-23-2020 02:27 PM

Thanks for the info on labels Eddie. Whatever the issue, it seems to have been resolved as I can now create and print.

Lance - currently managed payments allows the choice of either PayPal or eBay Funds to cover the cost of labels. It's just a radio button that you select based on your preference.

I have not yet received any funds direct from eBay. I am still linked to my bank account and want to make sure that the money flows correct before making the account change to PayPal direct deposit.

Jeff

BlueDevil89 07-23-2020 06:43 PM

I think I'll be quitting eBay altogether when they require me to register. I checked it out. They insist that you give up your social security number. No reason whatsoever to require your SSN. Once eBay gets hacked, and all sites get do get hacked, you are done when the identity thieves get ahold of your SSN.

teza11 07-23-2020 06:50 PM

eBay needs your SSN to generate 1099's at year-end if you meet their reporting criteria.

Jeff

BlueDevil89 07-23-2020 07:13 PM

Well, they ain't gettin' my social security number.

eBay is ripe for identity thief hackers to target.

Rather buy and sell and trade cards here and elsewhere then give up my SSN. eBay is not my employer.

MikeGarcia 07-23-2020 07:39 PM

So Then ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by teza11 (Post 2002137)
eBay needs your SSN to generate 1099's at year-end if you meet their reporting criteria.

Jeff

..So then , just have two or three different E-Bay names and accounts , and keep total sales for each account under ten thousand $ in sales ?? ..I can't be the first tax-evading genius to think of this ??

earlywynnfan 07-23-2020 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevil89 (Post 2002149)
Well, they ain't gettin' my social security number.

eBay is ripe for identity thief hackers to target.

Rather buy and sell and trade cards here and elsewhere then give up my SSN. eBay is not my employer.

Not disagreeing with the sentiment, but I bet 20 bucks your SS is already out there on the darkweb.

Eddiez 07-25-2020 03:24 PM

managed payments

Has anyone else been paid in managed payments? I'm wondering do they pay you minus 10% for fees and 2.75% for managed payments? I've got 2 payments and it looks like they only took the 2.75%. Just wondering how this all will work, I think a lot of people are. Thanks for any info. Eddie

teza11 07-25-2020 03:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been paid. Here's an example of a single sale. Card sold for $19.95.
Shipping was another $4.20. Total order was $24.15. Appears they took 11.5% ($2.78) plus $0.30 for a total charge of $3.08. That leaves $21.07 as my MP payout.

I also just changed MP payouts from my bank to PayPal. I'll provide an update after the first transaction.

Jeff

Eddiez 07-25-2020 05:23 PM

Managed payments

Jeff,
Thanks for the info I'll have to take another look at my payouts. Are you saying you can have MPs go to paypal instead of your bank? If you do get that done please let me know as I want to do the same. Thanks Eddie

teza11 07-27-2020 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Completed my first eBay MP transaction between eBay and PayPal direct deposit. Very impressed. EBay sent payment early this morning and it was posted to my PayPal account by mid-afternoon.

Jeff

buymycards 07-27-2020 03:20 PM

3 accounts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeGarcia (Post 2002157)
..So then , just have two or three different E-Bay names and accounts , and keep total sales for each account under ten thousand $ in sales ?? ..I can't be the first tax-evading genius to think of this ??

Then you will have to provide your Social Security number for all 3 accounts.

savedfrommyspokes 07-28-2020 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddiez (Post 2002749)
Has anyone else been paid in managed payments? I'm wondering do they pay you minus 10% for fees and 2.75% for managed payments? I've got 2 payments and it looks like they only took the 2.75%. Just wondering how this all will work, I think a lot of people are. Thanks for any info. Eddie

I have now received multiple payments since I started Monday with MP. Here is what I have seen in regards to what is being taken out. First, any order of mine where my free s/h threshold is not met, the 12% + 30 cents is taken out of my available funds. However, on the orders where my free s/h threshold is met, neither the 30 cent transaction fee nor the 12% have been removed from my available funds, both costs/fees have been added directly to my monthly ebay account invoice. I prefer the fees to be added to my monthly invoice and to pay at the end of the month with my CC as I get a 2% kickback reward from the CC and I don't get that 2% back when ebay takes the 12% from my "available funds".

thecatspajamas 07-29-2020 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teza11 (Post 2002755)
I also just changed MP payouts from my bank to PayPal. I'll provide an update after the first transaction.

Jeff

Quick question, when you put in the routing and account number for your Paypal account on eBay, did it show up as a Wells Fargo account? That is what is happening for me when entering the account numbers manually. I'm guessing that if I dig into it far enough, I would find that Paypal is the "payments processor" only and any funds held in Paypal are actually in a Wells Fargo account, but that is just a guess. Anyway, just trying to verify if my sign-up experience is same as yours was. Thanks!

thecatspajamas 07-29-2020 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes (Post 2003604)
I have now received multiple payments since I started Monday with MP. Here is what I have seen in regards to what is being taken out. First, any order of mine where my free s/h threshold is not met, the 12% + 30 cents is taken out of my available funds. However, on the orders where my free s/h threshold is met, neither the 30 cent transaction fee nor the 12% have been removed from my available funds, both costs/fees have been added directly to my monthly ebay account invoice. I prefer the fees to be added to my monthly invoice and to pay at the end of the month with my CC as I get a 2% kickback reward from the CC and I don't get that 2% back when ebay takes the 12% from my "available funds".

That is weird. The differing "fee extraction" timing, that is, not your preferences. I'm not looking forward to the learning curve in figuring out all the minute differences between eBay's "how we said it would work" and their "now that you're locked in, here's how it's really going down."

Eddiez 07-29-2020 12:03 PM

Managed payment

Jeff how do you get it changed over so your money goes straight to PayPal? Thanks Eddie

teza11 07-29-2020 01:00 PM

Lance - yes, the PayPal financial institution does show as Wells Fargo.

Eddie - you need to ask PayPal to provide you direct deposit and bank routing directions. Once received, you can update your MP "Payout Method" in less than a minute.

Jeff

savedfrommyspokes 07-29-2020 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecatspajamas (Post 2003939)
That is weird. The differing "fee extraction" timing, that is, not your preferences. I'm not looking forward to the learning curve in figuring out all the minute differences between eBay's "how we said it would work" and their "now that you're locked in, here's how it's really going down."

My assumption is that for what ever reason, because the entire sale has a promotion (free s/h with "x" # of items purchased) that I set up through ebay, the selling fees are billed to my account rather than removed from my available funds.

This scenario has continued to occur with today's orders with promotions..... and again, this scenario is preferred

sb1 10-14-2020 01:40 PM

Has anyone else beside Bobby, not made the switch and had ebay reinstate your account. My time for new listings ran out today and not sure I will make the switch to managed payments.

scotgreb 10-15-2020 07:00 AM

Scott,
I made the switch with both of my ebay accounts a while ago. No processing issues for me whatsoever. I created a separate bank account to receive the payments. I have not yet scrutized the cost difference(s) but suspect it's pretty much a wash for me. The only aspect I don't like is that your funds are kind of in limbo for a couple days while the transfer is being processed - making it somewhat more difficult to know your exact balance at any given time.
Scott

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ibuysportsephemera 10-15-2020 07:36 AM

I've been using it since July. I can't believe I am saying this but it actually has worked fine and I think I am saving a bit of money as well. I hope I haven't cursed myself.

Jeff

savedfrommyspokes 10-15-2020 07:43 AM

In regards to a cost difference between using paypal and ebay managed payments, in the first two full months I have been using EMP, my selling fee costs are down approximately 1% ($1 cheaper per $100 of income) as compared to when I used PP.

ibuysportsephemera 10-15-2020 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes (Post 2025825)
In regards to a cost difference between using paypal and ebay managed payments, in the first two full months I have been using EMP, my selling fee costs are down approximately 1% ($1 cheaper per $100 of income) as compared to when I used PP.

I am finding a similar savings.

Jeff

Exhibitman 10-15-2020 10:48 AM

It's worked fine. Costs are about the same. The only adjustment has been to my accounting method, which has simplified.

savedfrommyspokes 10-15-2020 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2025875)
The only adjustment has been to my accounting method, which has simplified.

Time has been my biggest savings due to the ease of compiling my monthly income spread sheet from the information ebay provides under their new "Performance" tab.

bnorth 10-15-2020 11:32 AM

Is ebay managed payments something everyone has to do? I sell on ebay and they have not made me do it. I only use up the free listings the give me, so not a big seller.

The only change I have notice recently is for the last 2 or 3 months they now give me 200 free listings a month.

Eric72 11-11-2020 08:06 PM

It appears as though it's my turn. In my eBay messages folder, there was a notification regarding managed payments.

"All sellers receiving this email are required to update their account details by 12/31"

Their playground, their rules, I guess. Any advice/info before I proceed?

Orioles1954 11-11-2020 08:51 PM

I just signed up on Sunday. Is there a lag time between "payouts" and it showing up in your account? Three things are happening...

1.) There are confirmed payouts but nothing is coming into my checking account (after 2 days)

2.) They want me to update some account details, but I have already done so.

3.) My credit union wasn't on their list so finding another way to get paid is a massive pain in the ass.

thecatspajamas 11-11-2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orioles1954 (Post 2034311)
I just signed up on Sunday. Is there a lag time between "payouts" and it showing up in your account? Three things are happening...

1.) There are confirmed payouts but nothing is coming into my checking account (after 2 days)

2.) They want me to update some account details, but I have already done so.

3.) My credit union wasn't on their list so finding another way to get paid is a massive pain in the ass.

1. When I get a "we've sent your Payout" notice from eBay, the funds are consistently in my checking account the next day. Depending on when the sales occur, there is a 2-day lag in eBay sending the Payout, but they do not send Payouts on Saturday or Sunday. So the result is that for sales occurring on Monday or Tuesday, the funds are in my account 3 days later. For sales occurring on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday, the funds are in my account 5 days later, with Saturday and Sunday sales being lumped in with the Friday payout.

2&3. Best advice for a smooth transition is to make sure your name on your eBay account EXACTLY matches the name on the checking account you are depositing to.

Even with that, I still had to send them a copy of a statement for my checking account to verify my identity. Because I had just set up a new account exclusively for eBay deposits, this meant waiting several weeks until they sent a monthly statement. I probably could have gone in person to a local branch and gotten something that would suffice, but this was during the height of COVID restrictions, and going in person to the bank seemed like an unnecessary risk, with or without a mask. (Personally, I still would feel strange going into a bank with a mask on, though I hear that is generally accepted these days).

I understand from others that if you have a Personal or account with Paypal, you may be able to arrange for your deposits to be made to that account. I attempted to set up a separate Paypal account do so initially (my primary Paypal account is a Business account, which still does not allow direct deposits, as I just re-confirmed yesterday). However, I could not satisfy the "send us a statement" requirement to verify my ID with anything that Paypal would generate, and so wound up setting up the checking account instead. Ebay asks for specific information to be included on a single-page statement, but while I could get separate documents from Paypal that had all of the required information, none were available that had it on the same sheet. It's possible that, having now verified my identity with the checking account, I could switch over to depositing to the Paypal account, but operating two Paypal accounts would wind up being even more problematic than two checking accounts, so I haven't bothered. It's Paypal's loss really if they can't or won't figure out a way to allow Business account users to deposit their eBay sales proceeds directly to their Paypal account.

Orioles1954 11-11-2020 10:54 PM

I’m just confused why they would give me payouts starting on 11/9, but still ask for me to update my account details? Is my $$$ in some kind of limbo?

Directly 11-12-2020 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orioles1954 (Post 2034340)
I’m just confused why they would give me payouts starting on 11/9, but still ask for me to update my account details? Is my $$$ in some kind of limbo?

possibly--you may need to get a letter or confirmation of your bank accounting number if using a Credit Union for your Ebay sales deposits and upload the information to Ebay .

thecatspajamas 11-12-2020 06:28 AM

Also keep in mind that yesterday being Veterans Day, which is typically a bank holiday, may throw things off by a day as far as the funds showing in your account.

I do recall when I went through the process getting the "You're All Set!" confirmation e-mail from eBay, followed the next day by another "We Need More Information" e-mail. Once I sent them a pdf of the bank statement though, the payouts transferred as stated above.

Throttlesteer 12-01-2020 10:47 AM

I've decided I'm done selling on Ebay. I get that the new managed payments functionality works and might be saving sellers a bit. But between the lack of seller protection against scammers and the requirement of providing my social security number to get set up, I'm done.

I guess it's BST exclusively from here on out.

4scuda 12-01-2020 01:11 PM

I have not signed up yet as I was also concerned why they need my social security number. Seems like one more place to get your information hacked

D. Bergin 12-01-2020 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4scuda (Post 2040687)
I have not signed up yet as I was also concerned why they need my social security number. Seems like one more place to get your information hacked

They are essentially your merchant account provider now. They will need to provide payout info to the government, issue 1099 forms, etc....

Pretty standard procedure.

I do understand having one more place in which your info becomes vulnerable, though.

Baseball Fan 12-01-2020 04:28 PM

For those that didn't make the switch but had some things still listed, has it been determined that those keep rolling over and you are able to sell whatever you had listed before the deadline arrived?

I have to switch by Dec. 31 but I'm thinking about listing as much as possible before that and then retiring from eBay.

joejo20 12-01-2020 04:46 PM

ebay managed payments - anyone using this future mandatory service yet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fan (Post 2040755)
For those that didn't make the switch but had some things still listed, has it been determined that those keep rolling over and you are able to sell whatever you had listed before the deadline arrived?

I have to switch by Dec. 31 but I'm thinking about listing as much as possible before that and then retiring from eBay.

All of my previous listings rolled into managed payments but they were all BIN style. Not sure about auction style. Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thecatspajamas 12-01-2020 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fan (Post 2040755)

Any Good Til Cancelled listings you have active before your drop-dead date will remain active and available for purchase until sold or ended by you. Whether eBay continues to include them in search results or disadvantages them in some way is not clearly indicated, but it seems likely that, all else equal, they will promote listings that are in Managed Payments over listings for the same items that are not in Managed Payments.

Any store subscriptions you have remain active and charged at the full rate, regardless of whether you can actually add new listings, and the same early-termination penalties for cancelled or downgrading your Store prior to the end of the annual term will apply.

That said, I am not 100% certain whether / how eBay actually blocks sellers from adding listings. My own experience was that unrelated issues with adding listings cropped up at about the same time as my deadline for entering Managed Payments, leading me to believe that eBay was blocking me from adding new listings. I'm now certain that the issue was not related (still an eBay issue, but unrelated to Managed Payments), but the timing was such that I went ahead and made the move rather than risk being cut off.

I have heard from at least one other who was still able to add new listings after their drop-dead date, which makes me wonder if I actually had to transition after all, but there's no "undo button" or save points in life or Managed Payments that would allow me to go back and try things differently. So far, Managed Payments has been okay, but I much preferred the previous arrangement with Paypal as the processor. As it is, with the delay in transferring funds from my bank account to Paypal (mostly to cover recurring expenses previously set to draft from my Paypal balance), I find myself both not using Paypal for making purchases, and making fewer purchases in general. I haven't had any issues with receiving my payouts from Managed Payments, but the delays and friction that the change has introduced in receiving and using those funds have made me much less likely to spend them back on eBay than when Paypal was my payments processor.

In my case, quitting eBay altogether wasn't really an option, but if you're looking at quitting eBay as an ultimate outcome anyway, what you have suggested seems reasonable. There wouldn't be any kind of penalty for loading up on new listings at the last minute (other than the usual listing fees that would otherwise apply), so the only risk would be sunk cost from listing or subscription fees if eBay hides the items from search visibility, or possibly early-termination fees for a store subscription. Otherwise, if something sells, you would continue to receive the funds in your Paypal account as usual until you opt in to Managed Payments, and I would be curious to hear if you are actually cut off, or still able to add new listings after your deadline. Either way though, I have not heard of any instances of eBay holding the proceeds from realized sales hostage to try and force a transition to Managed Payments.

Baseball Fan 12-02-2020 08:50 AM

Thanks for taking the time to give so much great info.

I'm a casual seller on eBay - use it mostly as a way to "edit" my collection - and don't have a store. I'm going to list a bunch of stuff by the end of this month and see if it works.

Maybe I'll eventually have to sign up for the new way of doing things, since it doesn't sound like too much of a horror show for any people here yet. I'm a creature of habit so I hate the thought of having to do anything different than what I'm accustomed to on eBay.

PhillyFan1883 12-02-2020 03:34 PM

Friends have the paying fees changed on ebay??? My understanding is 13 percent, 3 to paypal 10 to ebay..

Has this changed with the new payout method ???? What do I expect when I sell my card ?

Thanks in advance.

Connor

Baseball Fan 01-27-2021 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecatspajamas (Post 2040796)
Otherwise, if something sells, you would continue to receive the funds in your Paypal account as usual until you opt in to Managed Payments, and I would be curious to hear if you are actually cut off, or still able to add new listings after your deadline. Either way though, I have not heard of any instances of eBay holding the proceeds from realized sales hostage to try and force a transition to Managed Payments.

Just wanted to update you since you said you'd be interested in hearing how things went.

I was supposed to switch over on Jan. 1, but I had decided that I was going to "retire" from eBay and just list as many things as I could and maybe someday decide to sign up for their new way of doing things.

Any way, they then extended the warning until Jan. 15. Then Jan. 25. Then I was still able to list on Jan. 26.

Today, they finally cut me off. So, you do have to eventually make the switch if you want to keep selling.

conor912 01-27-2021 04:36 PM

I sell on ebay every once in a while and I switched over a couple weeks ago. It’s ludicrous. Instead of funds showing up instantly in your PP account, they go through a “processing”period and then a “payout” is made in the form of a bank transfer. Before, if I made a sale, as soon as payment was made I had access to the funds. Now it takes 4-5 days from time of payment to clearing my bank.

As far as fees go, I’m still not exactly sure how they are calculating. One sale was $529 minus $70.04 in fees = 13.24% and another was $330 minus $41.06=12.44%. Maybe they’re on a sliding scale now? IDK. All I do know is my eBay selling days are numbered.

Mark17 01-27-2021 04:38 PM

I set up a new account at my bank for ebay to connect to, and it works fine. Cash accumulates there instead of in my PayPal account. The ebay account is insulated from my other accounts, so in the event of a dispute or charge-back, only the ebay account can be impacted. When the balance gets high enough, I move money from the ebay account to my regular account, same as I used to do with PayPal.

I find the new process painless.

clydepepper 01-27-2021 04:54 PM

Thank God for BST - I have quit selling on ebay because of the 'managed payments' system.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood that I'd have to work with one of their banks...have an account at one of their banks?

Mark17 01-27-2021 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 2060971)
Thank God for BST - I have quit selling on ebay because of the 'managed payments' system.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood that I'd have to work with one of their banks...have an account at one of their banks?

No, you give them your bank routing info, same as you do with PayPal. So I set up a new account at my bank for that purpose, and I keep a small amount in it. The proceeds take a few days to be deposited into my account but otherwise it works fine.

mainemule 01-27-2021 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conor912 (Post 2060961)
I sell on ebay every once in a while and I switched over a couple weeks ago. It’s ludicrous. Instead of funds showing up instantly in your PP account, they go through a “processing”period and then a “payout” is made in the form of a bank transfer. Before, if I made a sale, as soon as payment was made I had access to the funds. Now it takes 4-5 days from time of payment to clearing my bank.

As far as fees go, I’m still not exactly sure how they are calculating. One sale was $529 minus $70.04 in fees = 13.24% and another was $330 minus $41.06=12.44%. Maybe they’re on a sliding scale now? IDK. All I do know is my eBay selling days are numbered.

One of the reasons your % of fees changes is the amount of sales tax being added to the payment based on the buyer's home state sales tax rate. You are paying EBAY fees on the sales tax that the buyer is paying, which EBAY is collecting and remitting to the state for you. I think I have said this correctly.