Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Has cryptocurrency valuation escalation caused you to purchase more cards? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=302107)

iwantitiwinit 05-17-2021 08:35 AM

Has cryptocurrency valuation escalation caused you to purchase more cards?

I was just curious if the increase in cryptocurrency valuations have caused you to purchase more cards than you would ordinarily would have (not asking if you are using cryptocurrency to purchase cards).

vintagetoppsguy 05-17-2021 10:09 AM

Once they develop a CBDC all Cryptos will be rendered worthless.

packs 05-17-2021 12:37 PM

My interest in baseball cards has caused me to purchase more cards.

Peter_Spaeth 05-17-2021 12:46 PM

I have a hard enough time understanding what it is, much less following it or making any decisions because of it.

darwinbulldog 05-17-2021 01:20 PM

I have no idea. Maybe?

chriskim 05-17-2021 01:29 PM

why? unless one already own those crypto when they were pennies.

packs 05-17-2021 02:05 PM

Everyone knows the best time to buy something is after everyone's heard about it. H

G1911 05-17-2021 04:20 PM

No. I am guessing that unlike most here, I have profited off Crypto, but my collecting is largely divorced from my income. I live in low-grade cheap collecting land regardless of my income, and so there's no real effect. If anything, I've spent less because it's tougher this year to get cards at the price I think is fair with the rapid increases in many areas.

vintagetoppsguy 05-17-2021 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2104129)
No. I am guessing that unlike most here, I have profited off Crypto, but my collecting is largely divorced from my income. I live in low-grade cheap collecting land regardless of my income, and so there's no real effect. If anything, I've spent less because it's tougher this year to get cards at the price I think is fair with the rapid increases in many areas.

What Crypto(s) did you buy? I bought Bitcoin Cash a little over a month ago for two hundred something. It quickly went to nine hundred something within a couple of weeks and I sold. It went to fourteen hundred something after that, but last I looked it was at eleven hundred something. That was my only experience with any Crypto and it was very short lived. I think it's ok for the short term, but I don't like it long term. That's just my opinion.

G1911 05-17-2021 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 2104133)
What Crypto(s) did you buy? I bought Bitcoin Cash a little over a month ago for two hundred something. It quickly went to nine hundred something within a couple of weeks and I sold. It went to fourteen hundred something after that, but last I looked it was at eleven hundred something. That was my only experience with any Crypto and it was very short lived. I think it's ok for the short term, but I don't like it long term. That's just my opinion.

I liked the blockchain technology and (just my personal opinion here) it's original libertarian purpose when this started 10+ years ago, to attempt to enable transactions and a trade system outside the effective regulation of states and with privacy. Now very little of it is is used as any kind of actual currency, and is a pretty extreme series of pumps and brief dumps (it can be a good buy still if you can tell when the dumps are coming, and if you think the longterm pumping will continue for some time, but I would not consider it a good long-term investment by any means). I would not buy in now, but I first bought Bitcoin in like 2011, and have sold some during these recent highs. I've had Ethereum, even made pretty good returns off the doge meme, dabbled in some penny ones that I think have a chance. I dabble here with some of my early profits (which I did not expect, or I would have put in a bit more and be retired in a mansion), but sold enough for a huge % profit because bitcoin was worth hardly anything back when I bought, and kept some of it. Long term, I think Bitcoin's tech is now out of date, its transaction time too long, I'd question how long it will be the big one.

I regret buying in just to try it and experiment with something that suited my interests and not to invest, but hindsight is 20/20 and money isn't that important in the course of life. if I'd put in just $1,000, I'd have tens of millions and a T206 Wager. When I first bought, bitcoin was trading at just a little more than the US dollar. Now, 1 bitcoin is about $45,000. No stock is ever going to pay off that well for me

iwantitiwinit 05-19-2021 06:02 AM

If this crypto price drop continues I'll have to change the poll to say..."Has the drop in crypto valuation caused you to slow your card purchases?"

Leon 05-19-2021 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit (Post 2104567)
If this crypto price drop continues I'll have to change the poll to say..."Has the drop in crypto valuation caused you to slow your card purchases?"

I think the whole bitcoin thing is crazy. I know I am in the minority but I can't see me investing in thin air.....LOL

Republicaninmass 05-19-2021 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2104570)
I think the whole bitcoin thing is crazy. I know I am in the minority but I can't see me investing in thin air.....LOL

I agree. Recently there was an auction I browsed which had a few of these NBA tops shot "clips". Even clips number of /15000 had "estimates" of 5k. Where does it end?

When it does, it won't be pretty

ezez420 05-19-2021 07:05 AM

Well when it ends it won’t be pretty for the top shot bag holders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vintagetoppsguy 05-19-2021 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2104570)

I agree, it is crazy. But I do believe there is quick money to be made in the short term. I wouldn't want to be holding the bag once a CBDC is fully implemented (and we're not that far away). That said, I bought Dogecoin (for the first time) this morning for less than $.32 share.

rjackson44 05-19-2021 08:02 AM

mike trout is down he got hurt ,,i know that much ,,ruth is stable

egri 05-19-2021 10:08 AM

I’m not invested in crypto; it’s something I don’t understand, and I don’t like investing in things I don’t understand. If other people are making money in it, great for them. I think part of this hysteria in the markets is a lot of the folks who have gotten in in the past year were still in school/not heavily invested in 2008, and are too young to remember the dot-com bubble. The only economic calamity they’ve experienced was last spring, and the markets recovered historically quickly. Other than that, their experience was in bull markets, which has lead to unrealistic expectations of how easy it is to make money. It reminds me of the saying ‘when a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience gets money, and the man with money gets experience’.

philliesfan 05-19-2021 10:47 AM

My son is starting to look at Crypto. I have no clue about it.

What is CBDC some mentioned?

Thanks,
Bob

vintagetoppsguy 05-19-2021 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philliesfan (Post 2104647)
My son is starting to look at Crypto. I have no clue about it.

What is CBDC some mentioned?

Thanks,
Bob

Central Bank Digital Currency.

It's just my opinion that once it's fully implemented, they'll render all other cryptos worthless and ban them.

China announced yesterday that they are cracking down on cryptos. That's why they're way down today.

Leon 05-22-2021 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 2104745)
Central Bank Digital Currency.

It's just my opinion that once it's fully implemented, they'll render all other cryptos worthless and ban them.

China announced yesterday that they are cracking down on cryptos. That's why they're way down today.

For me it's just too risky. I am all about risk/reward but prefer something I am more comfortable with. I think the whole crypto thing is a little crazy but that is just me.

Goudey 05-27-2021 12:08 PM

Crypto

As someone who been involved in the cryptocurrency/ defi space for about 4 years, and has worked on multiple blockchain applications, it has not. While I feel the value of alternative assets is rightly climbing, they are as a result of the insane money printing and planned spending in the past 13 months.

brob28 05-27-2021 12:54 PM

While it hasn't impacted my purchases, I do feel crypto, stimulus payments, a healthy stock market and a lot of spare time have all impacted the card market.